WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2017

Options

Replies

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Lanette - Cracker and Tux are very good buddies, too. But, Tux looks very disappointed when Cracker gets to 'run inside' and he has to 'stay out'. But, he gets under the house through a vent hole; that we don't put a cover over. If he gets upset, he runs in there. He can climb a 40' pine tree in about 2 seconds flat! He is a lover; and, so is Cracker. During winter he usually weighs over 20lbs, and, we laugh when he tried to jump through it like he can during the summer months when he isn't nearly as heavy.

He does 'his job' very well; and, sometimes he will make it a 'presentation'. One morning I got up and opened the door; and there was a 'mouse' on a bed of grass! I guess he thought he needed to make it look better so I would not chunk it over the deck railing. Our last dog, a JRT would play catch with him with the lizards we have around here. Tux would get upset when Shorty would kill them once they got dazed. Pets do some very strange things. DH says that 'if' Cracker could 'actually' talk, we'd never be able to shut her up. She is so stinky spoiled rotten and is very animated.

Lenora
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,119 Member
    Options
    Chris- I'm glad that you are back! I saw you on the newsfeed but I missed your posts on here!

Mia- it is a family reunion on here! So glad you have returned!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    Hi Gals,

Last year I announced that one of my goals was to be in a better place financially by this time and Barbie responded telling me I could do it… I held that close all year, and while I never did the math to see what the debt load was then and now; I am sure that I am better – it is not by much, however I have put in place some things which will make 2017 yet better. So I am going to talk to my accountant and see if she can put together some numbers for me; so I can compare 1/2017 to 1/2018 as I know that stress is an issue for me (probably for most of us) and financials getting to where I want them would help.

I listened to a TED talk on time management – I’m pretty good at time management so would not usually pick that but I loaded a bunch on to my phone and just listened in order…this one was a really new take on time management! The speaker was Laura Vanderkam and the talk was How to gain control of your free time – I’d recommend it! The thing that resonated with me was that you write your 2017 christmas letter now with 3-5 things that you would like to say happened in your family 3-5 things for your relationships, and 3-5 things in your work/career world and then work backwards, to make those things happen. Really about setting priorities so things that really matter come first and don’t get pushed aside… a more fleshed out plan for Barbie’s saying from NA Maxwell “Never give up what you want most for what you want today.” It’s got me thinking about what I would like to put in my 2017 holiday letter – I have some ideas but not ready for prime time.

Heather – your picture of the roofs of London made me think of “step in time” from Mary Poppins

Sherry – welcome back you’ve been missed.

Newbies – welcome!

Chris -MA welcome!!!

January Goals:
    Write Christmas letter, and have all cards ready to send by Dec1…this was for nov. but still working on it. Jan. still working on this….**** GET THIS DONE*******
    Read and report on a book –
    Log everyday to the best I can, over if need be.
    11,000 + steps everyday –
    Work on water consumption –
    Lunch with Kyle -

Smiles.

Kim from N. California
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    OK! I seriously messed up the bold thing tonight. I thought about trying to edit it, but then decided it was not worth the effort. Goodnight, my friends!
  • GodMomKim
    Options
    katie bug - I'm so glad you get your DH as that complement was tricky!
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    drkatiebug wrote: »
    Oh, and one more NSV! I got mad at all of my cotton panties because they kept sliding down, so I threw them all away and bought new ones. Size 7 and they fit!!!!!!! At one time I was in size 10 panties. My husband in his "on the spectrum/can't help it" way, said, "Well, what do you expect, Kay? Your butt is way smaller than it used to be, and your thighs are not as cottage-cheesy either." Bless his sweet heart! He tries to give a compliment.

Wonderful NSV and one that I also have recently experienced. My FOTL cotton panties were loose and bunching up so out they went and a package of 8's came out of storage! I can relate to your ""on the spectrum/can't help it" way" as my hubs (Asperger's) does those type of statements all the time. Our therapist related it to me/us as his statements are just plain old factual as in "The roast is burnt." No fluff just a statement of fact. Hard to take sometimes but he means well!

Had a good day here. Gym in the morning (Planet Fitness for 50 min. on treadmill), trip to Sam's Club , cleaned out the laundry room, watched football, walked a mile with the dog in the chilly weather, worked on completing my Temperature Afghan (almost finished), grilled steak and sweet potato for dinner and just finishing up another football game.

Till tomorrow,

Cheri

• GodMomKim
    Options
    :)
  • aubsgg
    aubsgg Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Yesterday saw a pinterest pin of way to burn 500 calories, could not find article to go with picture. Said 20 jumping jacks, 20 squats, 20 lunges, and 20 push-ups, didn’t say anything about repeating. So I did one set, most anemic jumping jacks and push- ups that I only went toward flor about 2 inches. Checked my fitbit and only burned 40 calories. Today I am very sore.

Heather UK
    sounds like we are having the same kind of day. I missed the gym yesterday and usually go in the mornings. My granddaughter called me at 1:30 to go today and we did. We added 15 min of cardio on font end of our workout too

Lacruiser I can never post or email from my ipad, words jump all over the place I don’t put them

SueBDew I have a drawer full of old cell phones. Come to think of it I think I have every computer I ever owned- afraid to dispose of them due to personal information that is on them.

Ljakubowsky I’m sorry you’re going through such a hard time. I'm sure that can do optimistic woman is in there, just give her some patience and love and she will re-emerge. You have some great goals. From my experience when not able to cope with life I needed to give myself credit for every accomplishment I achieved. Sometimes it was just being able to take a shower.

Marilyn- N CA
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Dr Katiebug - MEN! Congrats on the smaller size. I too had to get a smaller size a while back. I was hesitant to buy the smaller size as I was afraid they might not fit.

Speaking of that I can't get my mind to accept even now the difference that losing 90lbs makes it what clothes I can wear. I still look at clothes in my closet and think that they are going to be too small yet. Then I try them on and find that they are either perfect or even too big in the waist. My jeans that I bought last year really need to be replaced as they look way too baggy in the bootski and I have to wear them with a belt. Next paycheck I'll be out shopping for some new clothes. It feels so good on two fronts that I can do than - one because I can afford to and two because I'll be buying a smaller size.

I am going to look for a financial advisor to maximize my income while I can. This job is scheduled until the end of June and there is no guarantee that I will have another one by then so want to do what I can now so i don't find myself in the position I have been in the last 5 years.

Kim - The idea of putting down ideas for what you want to occur this year takes me back to college writing class. I used to come up with the general idea for paper then keep a small notebook and write down ideas as they came to me - even in the middle of the night or while I was driving. By the time I needed to work on the paper I had lots of choices to choose from which was so much easier than trying to come up with them all at once.

I tried to send a PM to someone tonight and got an error message so hit to 'go back' and tried again. same message so hit the 'go back' again and left it sitting there. I will try again later so i don't have to rewrite.

Love the picture of London and the comment regarding Mary Poppins.

Today has been a rest day. I slept when I wanted to and stayed in PJs all day. Then I ordered pizza because I could. Did not get in my walking today because then I would actually have to get dressed but am doing my kitchen counter push ups and calf raises. Looked at a cute website today about exercising in your kitchen so will be dancing as I do the dishes tonight! If I really get down and boogey I may burn more calories than by walking!

Allie - thinking of you <3

All of sudden felt like singing this so hope you all enjoy this https://youtu.be/Edwsf-8F3sI

My word for the year FORGIVENESS and it starts with me!
  • sherryminchagain
    sherryminchagain Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Rori, Toni, Barbie and Katiebug - thanks all for the welcome back! It's good to be back, i missed you all greatly!!! Katiebug, lol....I tried to use the bold a couple of times and messed it up both times cuz I couldn't figure how to turn it off!!! One of you asked me how Missy is....unfortunately I don't know...I was forced to leave her with my abuser and now he won't give her back to me...but I will have some legal help starting on Monday who is going to get her back for me. Unfortunately he has hit her too but the sheriff who came and got me said he couldn't help me get her because she is considered "property" in Oregon where I was living and said it's a civil matter, and I contacted animal control in The Dalles but they can't go get her because they don't service the area where she is. So legal will be contacting the Oregon Humane Society on my behalf to make arrangements to go get her and take her to a no-kill shelter who has offered to house and care for her for me until I can get permanent housing. Once she is at the shelter they say I can come anytime I want and for as long a visit as I want to be with her and spend time with her. I'm just hoping he doesn't hurt her too badly before they can get to her. The shelter told me they will provide medical for her if she needs it when she is brought there. So everybody say some prayers that he doesn't hurt her! I miss her so badly it makes me cry when I think of where she is and the jerk she's with. But I will be getting her back, then I am going to have her certified as a companion animal so that landlords can't refuse me cause I have her, nor will they be able to charge me a pet deposit. Sorry i don't have any better news about her. Just please pray for her if you all are inclined to.

Sherry
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Janetr: I love the snow photo. :bigsmile:

Rita: I'm happy to see that you take vitamin D3. It is good stuff, especially combined with exercise & light. I've bumped mine up to 6000IU for the time being. When the days start getting longer I'll drop it back to 4000IU. :flowerforyou:

Sherry: It is good to hear from you. You have many friends here. (((HUGS)))

Canookie: I love the pets. :heart:

Pip: Great calorie burn today! :smiley:

Chris in MA: It is great to hear from you. :smile:

Mia: I'm glad to see you posting again! Did I already mention that? I'll probably do it again, too. :bigsmile:

Dr. Katie: Your DH is good at opening mouth and inserting foot. :laugh: I feel for him because I have that same "talent" and sometimes it pops out to embarrass me.

It has been a quiet day at home. We have snow on the ground, although it isn't very deep. I've been reading books and watching some TV. I didn't even go out and ride the trike in the garage. I'll get that onto my priority list for tomorrow.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Christ in MA - I've been thinking and thinking about you lately. Wondering how you were doing and if all was good. Certainly good to see you back, we've missed you.

Janetr OKC
  • dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I am trying my best to check in regularly. So far, so good

Katla - thanks for the support and the Hugs. I love hugs although I have a problem with people getting inside my bubble. I've really been working on that.

Heather - Your day out and about looked and sounded fantastic.

Rita - I have faith in you. You will win the race. Have you had your B12 levels checked? My DH has a light that he uses for his SAD. Maybe that would help? Talk to us any time.

Charleen - That quilt is absolutely stunning. A friend of mine made me a table runner that you can put hot pots on. She gave it to me for Christmas but I had to give it back so the quilting can be finished. I will post a photo when I get it back.

Barb - I , too, live in brrrrr......Alberta. I find it difficult to be motivated in this weather, I so hate being cold.

Sherry - Do what you need to stay safe. It is good to hear from you. I am sorry that you weren't able to take Missy. So glad that you are as warm as a bug in the rug.

Beth - It's terrible of me but good to know I'm not the only one with kitchen disaster.

Lannette - Such a cute picture of Sophie and her friend, Ellie. Our Chico has been trying to make friends with Skittles ( my sister's cat) but he is very cranky.

Barbie - We all have our cheddar biscuit moments. I know you will work that off in no time. You are an inspiration to me.

Marni - Gret video of Wyatt playing

drkatiebug - I see my DH is not the only one who has a way with his compliments. Got to love the dears.

I was up all night with what I thought was the stomach flu. I think it might have been nerves as I started feeling fine after I called in sick and had a 3 hour nap. I am dreading tomorrow but will go especially as it is inventory and everyone's plate will be full.

Larry and I went to my sister's to have coffee with her husband who was home from Texas. The man is a saint. He works away 10 days and she doesn't even have groceries when he comes home. She asked him what he was planning to cook for supper. I keep my nose out of it and make sure he gets good birthday and Christmas presents. No, she isn't tired from work as she hasn't worked in a number of years. This is my younger sister but she acts so old.

We are destroying some old records finally. I am having a shredding good time. I am keeping a few of the receipts for kicks and giggles. Not sure if any of you care to know but in 1985 we bought a side of beef, cut and wrapped, for $370.47 which works out to $1.59 /lb. It would be nice to get that price now. It has also been interesting to see the names of people who worked for us over the years. We have kept track of some and lost touch with others. Stories come to mind as I see the names, some make me laugh and some make me cry.

There was some discussion of teas on here. I love and try all different kinds. Chai is a favourite, peppermint another. Strong brewed Red Rose doctored with milk and honey is my go to. It's a throw back to days with my Granny. Also I remember my Great Aunt Gen reading tea leaves for people. Good memories.

Did I tell you that my favourite Christmas gift was a small heater for my office at work? The place is ridiculously cold .

- Sharon ( trying to stay warm in Alberta)
  • KristinaHajjar
    KristinaHajjar Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi Barbie and everyone, I'm back after about a year. I am going to give this a try again. Keep thinking I can do this on my own, butter I can't. I have 65 lbs. to lose this year. Any encouragement is appreciated. I'm 58 and this is getting old!
    Kristina from California
  • GloworminWA
    edited January 2017
    Options
    SHERRY - I am so glad you are back. I missed your initial post as somehow I had skipped a whole page! Although I was not emailing you everyday I was thinking about you. I used to use Sparkpeople but left because the leader of the 300+ group never lost any weight but was the leader for years. I just could get no motivation from that. As much as I get frustrated with the food diary here I have tried others and they all seem to be more limited in the choices. I guess none of them are going to be everything we would like them to be unless we start our own! I asked MFP over a year ago to put the page numbers in the food diary where we check off the foods at the top as well as the bottom. It would be such a time saver.

Marni - thanks for the webcams. Now I know how it feels to have a preconceived notion of what it's like somewhere else shot down. I did not know that there were CITIES like Anchorage. I thought AK was all small towns and certainly not with lights all lit up like that. When I first moved to WA state in 1973 from So.CA my family thought the same thing about WA.

Somehow I missed that Barbie was going somewhere - where did she go?

Ok I need help with my skin. I have extremely dry sensitive skin along with eczema and psoriasis. The extremely cold dry weather along with dry air in the house and extremely dry air in the office is playing havoc with my skin. Sometimes my face is so bad it looks like I have a severe sunburn. Coconut oil does not help me and in fact aggravates it (I went online to find out about this and did find an explanation). I have tried OTC anti itch and hydrocortisone creams, Moisturizing lotions for very sensitive skin and hydrating my face with a wet wash cloth and vaseline (which has worked the best). By the end of the workday my upper arms, chest and face just itch like crazy. I may try olive oil tonight. Anyone who experiences this problem and has found a successful remedy please share. I may have to go back to the dermatologist again as the itching is driving me nuts.

I read a very interesting article last week about Positivity (Positive perspective)
    They said the answer is Gratitude and Happiness and suggested the following 4 week plan:

Week 1 - Write down 3 things that go well every other day for 1 week

Week 2 - send a quick email each day to someone in your life explaining why they are a blessing to you

Week 3 - Think about things other than your stuff. A 2014 study found that people who are more materialistic are less grateful/happy. ie Focus on the pure lovely white snow falling outside, not the brand new car in your neighbor's driveway.

Week 4 - Don't forget to say thank you. Thank the person at the drive-thru for adding extra ketchup to your bag; thank a stranger for holding the door. Expressing gratitude will give you and the other person a lift!

Rita - have you talked to the doctor who put you on the antidepressant? Like other medications sometimes they have to be changed or at least adjusted. If I were feeling depressed again I would be in my doctor's office discussing this as I don't want to go back to the depressed screaming banshee I was without them. I know you will do what's best for you.

Katla sorry to see that you can't go to your friend's BD.

Becca - coming down to see you one of these days!

Carol - what a wonderful memory related to the smell of coffee. I was so touched when you shared that the smell in the morning let you know that love was in the kitchen. Actually brought a tear to my eyes. What a wonderful childhood you must have had.

Think I should end this as it's gotten very long. Thinking of all of the rest of you new and not so new on here as I read each and every post (unless it happens behind my post or I somehow skip a whole page) and sending healing thoughts for those who need them and kudos to those with successes!

Love to all of you amazing resilient women,

Gloria in it's no longer freezing WA
    but it is rainy-cloud-smiley-emoticon.gif

My word for the year is FORGIVENESS, starting with me!

BTW someone asked about searching on here. Down at the bottom by the page numbers is a search icon. Click on it and type in what you want to search for like someone's name, a subject, whatever.

• GloworminWA
    Options
    Ok PM just will not work to you Lanette so here it is:
    Hi Lanette - I live in Lacey. You must be somewhere close to me. Pip lives in Tacoma near the mall. Barbie and Sue I believe live on the west coast (I might be wrong about Sue) . There are some others who check in less frequently like Mighty LoLo in Seattle (new boyfriend drug her away from us we think :( happy for her, sad for us) Are you the one with the Shnoodle? I would love to see a picture. I saw someone walking her dog near my daughter's in North Tacoma and had to stop because her dog was so adorable. She said it was a Shnoodle. I would love to get one of those dogs - just the right size for me at this age.

Welcome to our family of women - hope you stick around!flower-pink-smiley-emoticon-animation.gif

GloworminWA aka Gloria
  • sherryminchagain
    sherryminchagain Posts: 86 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Hey now....

It's kinda late here but i wanted to check in before I hit the hay.

Katla - thanks for the hugs! I am so glad to be back. I missed you gals so much!

Sharon - thanks hun, I really miss my fur baby, her picture is now the wallpaper on my phone so I can at least see her cute little face all day long. But she will be with me again soon.

GLORIA - hiya sweetie! How are the boys?? Doing well I hope! I hope you and yours are staying warm and cuddly! I like MFP's food database better but have learned how to compensate for SparkPeople's lacking in that area. I think the 300+ group has been disbanded as I didn't see it in the list of groups, I may have just missed it or something. But I did find a group on there called "Done being the fat girl!" that has a lot of wonderful ladies in the group who are very encouraging and supportive and I love what they named the group, it's me to a T! I also found a group there called "ACEs", which stands for " Attitude Changes Everything" and they are wonderfully supportive and encouraging too. In fact a lot of the members in ACEs sent me bunches of the Spark Goodies, lol. I've also earned a lot of virtual trophies so far for keeping up with my goals, but my fitbit gave up the ghost already (i mean jeez, i just got the dang thing like what? A month or so ago?) so I haven't been able to keep up with my step count, I've been just guessing by distance. I know there's a formula for figuring that out but nobody told me there would be math involved LOL!! I think it sucks that person leading the 300+ group was leading it and not losing any weight, I mean WTH??? Maybe was fudging on her/his logging or just not making the effort, or there were medical conditions involved that made that difficult for that person. That person should have stepped out of the leader position and let someone else have it. Not very motivating, was it? I like a lot of SparkPeople's recipes though, I've tried quite a few and they have all been really good. Have you tried pure Shea Butter for your skin? That's what I use. There is a store in Portland that has it that ships the products they sell if I remember correctly. It's all natural with no additives of any kind and it's nothing but pure unadulterated Shea butter that is Fair Trade out of Africa. I also use African Black Soap in the liquid version that is nothing but Shea butter and charcoal from burnt Shea tree wood the has been saponified to get lathery when you use it. I use that as a body wash. It's also Fair Trade out of Africa. I like what these companies are doing to help support these poor women in Africa with the money they make off the products made there.

Well ladies, I have taken my meds, supplements and my shot so I'm gonna hit the hay and read some "Strong Women Stay Young". Hope everybody gets good sleep tonight. See you all tomorrow!

Love and hugs

Sherry
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Morning, all...

Chris in MA! So glad to see your smiling face on here again... not glad for the reason, we all know that feeling, just glad to hear your voice on these pages.

Kim in NoCal - I do something vaguely similar each year.

I called it, in honor of what they put on the sundials once upon a time, "I count only the sunny days." Each year-end, in my journal, I read over the year's entries, and then I put down the triumphs and the amazing bits that happened over the course of the year. Before I start the next year, I write a list of what I'm looking forward to doing, being, changing, loving, whatever's on my head. When I need a pick-me-up, I read those. It's not that bad things don't/didn't happen... but for me, as the memories began to pile on, I realized I could simply ignore the worst, hold onto the best and go on.

Don't get me wrong - much like a computer, if I dig hard enough, all the memories are there, both bad and good. But I'm determined to carve the good ones in stone, and let the bad ones wash away until they are only faded writing on a sandy beach. What good have they ever done me? While the tribulations made me stronger, that constructed the bedrock of my soul. That has become my "is." I don't have to dwell on what made me that way. I can focus on what I can accomplish now and in future with both feet planted on that solid ground.

Thus endeth the philosophy lecture for today. Take it all with a grain of salt, my chickens... :)

Love y'all!
    Lisa in West Texas, where it's s'posed to be in the 60s tomorrow and 70s Monday, woo-hoo!