WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2017

Options

Replies

• ljakubowsky
    ljakubowsky Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am trying to stay in discussion group and reply to certain posts but my replies are going to wrong posts. I'm using mobile phone but not giving me a way to make it work. Sorry
  • Truth336
    Truth336 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It helps to know we are not alone.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Gloria: Have you tried sunscreen for your dry skin? I also have Oil of Olay Regenerist and Neutrogena Anti Wrinkle Cream. Both do very well with dry chapped skin. I usually use Neutrogena sunscreen when my skin is feeling dry, and bump up to the creams only if sunscreen doesn't work. I also shifted away from antibacterial soap and use Neutrogena glycerin soap now. It is lovely & my skin thanks me. It is marketed as face soap but I use it everywhere. :bigsmile:

NYKaren: I hope that good things happen for you & your DH. :flowerforyou:

Tivocrazy: I've had that OMG realization about how many calories are in certain foods. This is a learning process and I'm sure you'll start setting up food routines that keep you happy and healthy without stacking on pounds. :smiley:

Margaret: Several years ago I read about a Portland man who was panhandling at the airport and making over $40,000 per year at it. He dressed in a business suit while "on the job." The young people who are panhandling are often spending the money on drugs & I never give them money. I had a student who handed them McDonalds burger coupons. Clever girl. :star:

Mikesmom: Good choices all around for your day out with friends. Welcome back! :smile:

Lanette: I was trained as a Master Gardener more than 30 years ago. The training has been a piece of bedrock for me. I no longer have a formal garden patch, but I grow organic blueberries, herbs, and a few veggies in my townhouse flowerbeds. :heart:

I've had my bone density medicine for the week and coffee, but I' haven't taken my vitamins yet. It is just getting light outside. There is snow on the ground but the hummingbird feeders stuck on my windows did not freeze over night so I gather it is warming a bit.

Today is the anniversary of Elvis Presley's birthday. He would be 82 if he had not eaten so much and chosen so poorly. I won't be having a mashed banana and peanut-butter sandwich in his memory. I'll do my best to make healthy choices, instead.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."
  • enne665
    enne665 Posts: 10 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    So happy to find this group! I am 54, and have been on MFP for a little more than a year. I have lost 50 pounds and would like to take off another 40 pounds this year. I love how you all support each other and would love to participate. Thank you!!

My January Goals:
    Track food daily
    Meal Plan Weekly
    De-Clutter Christmas Stuff (get rid of stuff we don't use)
    Prepare for Income Tax Filing
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    :)
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Hello!

Off to the gym and run some errands.

Later,

Cheri :)
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Charleen - beautiful quilt. I love the way the quilting stitches seem to have movement around the intricate patterms!

Sherry - so sorry about Missy. I am praying for your success in getting her back. I would be heartbroken if someone took my kitty Shirley from me.

Marni - My DS and DIL are rescue foster failures, too. They have 5 cats and two big dogs. The dogs are named Doc (Holliday) and Wyatt (Earp). So funny we both have Wyatt Earps in our families!

Rita - consider pushing your doc for a different antidepressant. I have had depression all my life and started on Paxil in my 40s. It helped a little but then doc changed me to Effexor and it was amazing the difference it made!

Lanette - My parents used Cornhuskers. I have discovered Josie Maran's Argon Oil products. I use her unscented body butter (whipped oil). I even use this as a night cream and have seen improvement in my already good skin. I got a giant tub of it from QVC for a lot less than the Olay Regenerist Cream I had been using.

Gloria - you might try the above product on your skin. It would be worth a try.

Working today. DS, DSL, and DGS are stopping by at work to visit a minute. Really looking forward to that!

Be safe, ladies.

Toni in cold, cold, cold and snowy Tennessee
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Gloria – I ‘think’ to send a PM, you might have to send a ‘friend request’ first. I had gotten several error messages before on a PM I was trying to send; but, after making the friend request, I could send the PM.

Katla – Neutrogena glycerin soap is great! I agree that it makes you skin ‘thank you’. I usually save it for my face; and, I use coconut oil on the rest of me after taking a shower. I have a particular Rx’d lotion (Ammonium Lactate) that I get my DH to rub on my back when it gets itchy feeling and there is no way to scratch where it itches. Instant relief; but, it is something like $30 for the bottle.

Lenora
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,564 Member
    Options
    Hey now...

Michele - hi sweetie! I've been using SparkPeople's app....I find it more accurate for calories consumed and for calories out in exercise, and the food tracking tracks a lot more nutrients than MFP. The foods database isn't as big but it allows you to add foods to the database and they have companion apps for nutrient info for a large assortment of most foods as well as veggies and fruits nutrients. Plus they have companion apps for crock pot recipes, fast recipes and other recipes and all the apps sync with their respective websites so you can use either the site or the app. Plus you can earn Spark points for little virtual goodies you can give yourself or friends as encouragement and rewards. Plus they have forums, challenges and what they call SparkStreaks that track your goals and you can earn little virtual trophies for maintaining your goals, etc. It's an awesome program and I really like it. Plus you can sync fitbits, jawbones, garmins etc to it. So that's what I've been using.

Pip - I only fell off the non-smoking wagon because I'm under an immense amount of stress as I am now a domestic violence victim who is now homeless and penniless. It's a long story but I plan to quit again once I get into permanent housing instead of a DV shelter and don't have so much stress. For now it helps calm me and helps me maintain a decent attitude. And I'm not smoking near as much as I did before I quit. I only have a few a day.

Joyce - thanks hun, I've missed you all greatly.

Margaret - thanks for the hugs dear!

Remind me sometime and I will tell you all what has been happening. It's a long story but will try to keep the post short as I can.

Anyway, it's dinner time so I'm gonna step away from my screen for a bit.

Love you all

Sherry

we could swap stories, kinda similar, best of luck to you.. stay strong, you'll make it
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,564 Member
    Options
    morning peeps-j
    welcome new peeps-
    welcome back old peeps
    woke up late, it's 9:30am PST (gym doesn't open up til 9anyway)
    gotta get going
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    The no sugar for a year family did not eat honey, maple syrup, or even Stevia. They were hard core but each was allowed one exception. She chose wine, he chose Diet Dr. Pepper, and the kids were allowed to make their own decision if they were somewhere that everyone else was having sweets, like a birthday party. I, on the other hand, at least right now am allowing honey and Stevia. I'm putting maple syrup into my oatmeal until the jar is empty then I won't buy anymore. They sweetened their oatmeal with mashed bananas, which I might try at some point. I tend to eat eggs instead of oatmeal anyway, so It's not even like I have it every day.

I've never put sweetener in coffee but do like plain half-and-half. No flavored creamers. I need Stevia in my tea though, and don't want milk or lemon in it. This anti-inflammatory plan suggests no dairy. I was going to buy coconut milk creamer for my coffee, but it is all flavored (at my grocery store, anyway) and has sugar. I tried plain almond milk in my coffee - no! I haven't tried plain coconut milk, but can't imagine it being any better. I think my little bit of half and half is the lesser of two evils. I tried plain skim milk, but it turns my coffee a weird shade of green. I only have one cup a day and rarely finish it. I think I'll be ok.

I'm happy to report that my knees are much better.
  • lacruiser2016
    lacruiser2016 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hey, girls,

Some things I'd like to respond to: First, I clearly missed the quilt pictures, to my great dismay. Please point me in the right direction. Second, we are inundated with panhandlers in sunny south Florida, especially this time of year. I never give to them, for all the stated reasons already given. Also, another one of my pet peeves is soliciting outside WalMart. Can't help going there, and I really hate that they are allowed to solicit. Exception: Girl Scouts selling cookies! I think the best way to make sure your $$ really helps is to donate to a recognized charity.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,058 Member
    Options
    I too use coconut oil of my face. I like how quickly it absorbs and keeps my skin from dry out. I just take a small amount and rub it between my hands until it melts. It does not melt until it is 76-78 degrees. I like it better than olive oil because it smells better.
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    January is obviously a busy month. :) So great to hear of those who are back and those just joining this wonderful group! Welcome!

Hugs to all those needing them. Keep warm :)

Carey - Northern Alberta

Goals for Jan:
    - Increase walking to 7500 per day by end of month
    - Get to Tai Chi at least once a week
    - Increase daily water intake
  • BrendaD00
    BrendaD00 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Trying so hard to get modivated today to get on my treadmill. Any suggestions.
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,633 Member
    Options
    <3
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    ;)
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Wow, so many panhandler stories! I am going to go with my gut instinct on this and be very cautious. We do know about the homelessness problem and will continue to support the churches and other organizations that do
    amazing work. Just feel like it is not a good idea for guys to ask "elderly" women for money on the street.
    Could not make it to church--low visibility and snow so we turned back,
    Spending the day making food for the week--Cuban black beans and Morrocan roast chicken. Might not have them the same time!
    Anybody else watching Sherlock tonight? I was not happy with last week's turn of events...
    Glad Sherry and Rita are hanging in there. And is it a treat to have Mia back or what?
    Betty