40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• CanadianMissy
    CanadianMissy Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    csmith4567 wrote: »
    Hi .. I would like to join, not sure how.

I am a 44 year old single mom of a son in college. I practice Tai Chi.......

Oh, I'm curious about Tai Chi. I've often thought of it. I meditate so I could see how it could be quite calming.

Is it calming? Does it burn significant calories? Please tell me more from your personal perspective.

I am also 44 and a mom to two. Hello, everyone!
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    TmacMMM wrote: »
    Djproulx wrote: »
    This afternoon, I have a choice between an easy 4 mile run or a bike trainer ride.

I'm planning on getting a bike trainer soon. Do you have a recommendation for a decent, mid-price model? Something basic and reliable?

@TmacMMM: SHORT ANSWER: YES, the CycleOps Fluid2 or Kurt Kinetic trainers would work well for most people.

LONG ANSWER: When I think of "basic" trainers, to me that means we are talking about a trainer that does not provide a power output reading in watts or provide a smart interface (Bluetooth, ANT, etc.) to cycling programs for the purpose of automatically varying resistance. There are several types of basic trainers: Fluid trainers, magnetic trainers and rollers. I would recommend a fluid based trainer for most people.

Several brands come to mind. I have the CycleOps Fluid2 trainer that works very well. I've ridden it for several years and have put hundreds of hours on it. Rock solid and it will last forever. A similar competing product would be the Kurt Kinetic fluid trainer. Last time I checked, fluid trainers run about $250, and I'm sure you could find one for less if you search the Web. There are often great deals on Craigslist and eBay. They are like treadmills - many people buy them and never use them, so they become available fairly often.

If you want an idea of what the next step up might be in a trainer, the Wahoo Kicker SNAP is a power based smart trainer that sells for around $500.

I don't know what your application is for the trainer. If you're going to simply ride it and watch TV, you don't need anything else. However, if you're going to use it for "training" purposes, then there are a bunch of other potential questions and solution elements you could consider. For example, the other solution elements could include: 1) Speed/Cadence Sensor 2) Heart Rate Monitor 3) Power Meter ( or Virtual Power via software) and 4) Cycling training apps, such as Trainerroad, The Sufferfest series, Zwift or others. Send a PM if you're wondering about any of these items.

( I currently train with HR data from Garmin HRM/watch, Speed & Cadence data from a Wahoo sensor, Virtual Power data estimates that are derived from the Trainerroad Cycling app. This info is all synced to my Training Peaks account so my coach and I can see the data as soon as I finish a workout. )

I also noticed that you live fairly close to me. There are several good bike shops in our area that can help. And finally, one of my training partners upgraded to a smart trainer recently. He has a CycleOps Fluid trainer that he never used and is probably still sitting in his basement being used as a clothes rack. ;) If you're interested, I could check to see if it is available.

Good luck.
  • gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    Options
    "Body Beast Bulk: Arms"=Done!
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    @Djproulx : Holy smokes. That is a lot a great info. Thanks so much. I'll PM you to follow-up. And how cool is it that you live right nearby! Small world. :)
  • jackmy
    jackmy Posts: 2 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Hi all! Love the forum title. :smile: I am getting back into MyFitnessPal (again). I'm 46, mom of 3 and grandma of 1 (love being in the grandparent's club!). I'm pretty active. I work out at least 3 days a week, including monthly challenges and 1x/week competitive coed volleyball. I've crept up to 143 lbs. My goal is to lose 8 lbs (again) and keep it off! Forever, dang it! My biggest challenge/goal is that my eating habit HAS to change. I ate 1300 calories a day for a year, eating pretty much the same foods, but I lost 20 lbs in 4 months and kept it off for about a year and a half. I finally got bored with the same foods and slowly gained some of my weight back. I just haven't found recipes that are tasty and healthy. What many people consider tasty & healthy just aren't tasty at all to me. I'm still searching. I know it's out there. Any suggestions/ideas are welcomed and appreciated!
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    TmacMMM wrote: »
    @Djproulx : Holy smokes. That is a lot a great info. Thanks so much. I'll PM you to follow-up. And how cool is it that you live right nearby! Small world. :)

Guess you figured out I'm a bit of a geek. :)
  • MJFSH
    MJFSH Posts: 7,252 Member
    Options
    Good morning Cool Kids! share the instruction on "How To Be Cool" please! ;)

Shortcut to Size: Chest, Triceps and Calves done! :)
  • 3furballs
    3furballs Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Well managed to get some extra workouts in after the holidays so my weight is back to pre Christmas weight, 142.2 this morning. Back to trying to lose the last 5lbs!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,928 Member
    Options
    love the photos, sdereski!

I forgot the name of that guy who used to be posting photos of his farm (his wife's name was "Marg"....I remember that!), but I think I really issmhim and his photos!!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    3furballs, you can shave that fat off this month, I bet!

BOOM!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Got my lifting in-and-done, today.

I am going to add one more cardio session into my week, so 3 x weightlifting and 2 x cardio for January/February. And, doing a 6-1 protocol for two weeks, followed by 5-2 protocol for two weeks. Rinse/repeat three times and that has my eating schedule until end of March.

HardCore push the fat off is what 2017 brings, for me
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    Rowing. Stroke count pyramids. 3 hard/3 easy, up to 25 hard/25 easy, and down again. 38 minutes. With warm-up, about 9.5km.
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    @Beeps2011 I was thinking of him as well. Can't recall his name, but he used to call his farm the rachero and is rhymed with his name. Yeah, miss his posts and pictures.

Weather has warmed up nicely and we got a whole bunch of new snow last night and today. snowshoeing should be fun. Breaking trail always is. :)
  • treehugnmama
    treehugnmama Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    sdereski wrote: »
    Another 2 hour snowshoe hike. Here are a couple of pictures from today's hike. Lots of climbing.

wbtl82p72hmr.jpg

A view from the top.

54fby84ssakr.jpg

I'm over jelous. I bought myself snowshoes for christmas and we have no sn ow
  • sdereski
    Options
    @treehugnmama - come visit. We have lots! :)
  • ellevin11
    ellevin11 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am in while I can. I just turned 49 (yipes!) and this is the year I lose the extra weight I gained after having kids=, who are 8 & 10, and quitting smoking;(

It took me two years to get back in the gym regularly and to start feeling strong again (had some minor injuries as I was adjusting to a post-45 year old body). Now I am ready to start pushing myself harder to keep and gain some muscle mass I lost in the past few years.

It also took some tinkering to find a diet that works for me. I've been mostly paleo for the past two years, but would cheat. So this year, 2017, I am getting serious and trying LCHF and I think it is going to do the trick.

I work out 3 times a week with a focus on body weight and free weight exercises, and am doing running about 15 minutes. Hope to add a yoga class to the mix too.
  • wndlady
    wndlady Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Hello, 140's! Haven't seen that number in 5 years. Very excited :).
  • gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    Options
    "Body Beast Bulk: Shoulders"=Done!
  • sdereski
    Options
    @Beeps2011 - Larro!
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Morning kids, Beeps and Sdreski, you are talking about Larro and his Ranchero pictures. I sent him a few emails with no response. I missed reading the stories about his mother. Gam3rguy, thanks for the photo. Meltdown class done. Hope all of you have a great day.