WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2017

Options

Replies

• KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,828 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon ladies! The kids are napping and I am ahead of schedule for the shower prep, so I thought I would catch up on reading posts and respond/comment.
    Joyce- It is me with the shower with 38 people! It is so big, only because it has both sides of our family (my husbands and mine) and her friends from school. The guest list was over 70; but 38 will be in attendance!
    Heather-Raising a glass to you and your friend and the friendship you have shared. Watching my mom go through cancer, really made me realize how important friends are (were to her) to have near, be able to vent, listen to and focus on their own problems, and just normalize something that is not normal. It is hard to be that friend, but you seem to be doing a great job. (((hugs))) :*
    Lisa- I love that quote from Dune. I read that book a few times in my teen and young adult years. My own stance on fear is very similar. Add a bit of my Lutheran mother telling me that fear is a sin, because we are showing a lack of faith in God. Although, as an adult, I find fear can sometimes be a great motivator to get things done. Fear is also, I think, an instinct inside of us that alerts us to something being "not right". I choose to embrace my fear and use it to move me forward. <3 Thank you for sharing that!
    Love all of the pictures! Thank you for sharing Marni, Pip, Chris, Rori, Charleenand Sherry! Penny- so glad to see you back! Isn't it nice to have that "Ahhhh, I'm home!" feeling after you've been away?!
    Chia seeds- I try to stay away from things that get soggy after a few minutes contact with something moist. Cornflakes, crackers, bread, chia seeds. I am not a tapioca fan because of it's texture; so soggy chia seeds would probably not be a favorite. UNLESS...I added them to a dry mix and ate it that way.
    So...I have the book Salt, Sugar, Fat sitting on my shelf and I don't dare open it until this week is over. It's killing me. A book. Unread. In my house. UGH! ttyl KJ (Kelly)
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,749 Member
    Options
    Hello evafitz58!

Cheri ... I also hate to fly ... being deaf doesn't help ... but if I can do it so can you! (The TSA agents literally take me by the hand and show me what to do going through security!) And imagine all the steps you are going to get in at Orlando!

Just taking a break. Will check back with you all later.

Beth near Buffalo

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Cheri, I believe somewhere with in all the Disney site is a complete calorie guide to all the places on your quick eating plan. We had that plan and I know what you mean. It isn't easy. but the one good thing is all the walking you do. We have wanted to go again and take the whole family with us. But then Charlie got so sick in 2015 and then 2016 was awful. We wanted to go before our oldest grand daughter got to old, whe will be 16 this year so I'm not sure if we will get back there. Good luck and have fun. It is such a magical place.

Pip, you have a cat???? Poor pooch is stuck.

Charlie went and got his lab work this morning and didn't wake me. So now I have to go by myself. Boo hoo.

There was something I was going to write that was worth writing. But what was it??? It is forever in my brain. I remember what it was now!!!!! Must have been the turkey sandwich I ate. I have talked about my youngest daughter Michelle and her dogs. Her passion is just like quite a few of you here. Pip is the one I think of most with her dogs. She has a full blood boxer and he is the only one who is not a rescue. She is very active in the rescue community here. Last fall one of her dogs died and I knew she was not ready to adopt again. But then came Jennifer. Her and a friend were at Walmart and as they had the door open, in jumps a dog just making herself comfortable. She is part shepherd and other just a mix but mostly shepherd. She had a collar on with vet info on but that was about it. But with that and social media they found the owner. He is a full time semi driver and had made a stop at Walmart. And he wasn't coming back to Evansville for 2 weeks! But she has a wonderful personality, house trained. Well you have to be house trained when you live in a semi! But att 2, she is still kind of a puppy and her poor boxer had finally met his match. But all things have to come to an end and the guy comes back in town this week. I know that if she didn't find the owner she was considering adopting this guy but I am glad she found the owner. She lives in a small house with a postage stamp size yard. She is on the board of directors of a nice dog park and she makes full use of it but that's usually once a week. Her dogs have pretty much torn up her house and it wasn't worth much to begin with. I can't imagine what it will cost if she ever marries and her man wants a decent house and not to live in a dog rescue.

Joyce, Indiana
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,108 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Stronglift Workout A
    Squat- 1X5X 50/60/70, 5X5X 75
    BP- 1X5X 45/50/55, 5X5X 60
    BR- 5X5X 80

Kettlebell Swing
    Goblet squat-3X5X 30
    Russian kettle bell swing-17 X7X 30

40lbs loss by May 27
    Fitness Test
    Push-ups-3X 15
    Sit ups-3X 15
    Jumping jacks-3X 15

I have been steadily increasing the weight amount on my StrongLifts exercises. I am working my way back up to my highest lift amounts. I have also been increasing the number of swings with the Kettlebell . And this week I am doing three sets of 15 of each of the fitness test exercises.

Make it a great day!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,531 Member
    Options
    jmkmomm wrote: »
    Cheri, I believe somewhere with in all the Disney site is a complete calorie guide to all the places on your quick eating plan. We had that plan and I know what you mean. It isn't easy. but the one good thing is all the walking you do. We have wanted to go again and take the whole family with us. But then Charlie got so sick in 2015 and then 2016 was awful. We wanted to go before our oldest grand daughter got to old, whe will be 16 this year so I'm not sure if we will get back there. Good luck and have fun. It is such a magical place.

Pip, you have a cat???? Poor pooch is stuck.

Charlie went and got his lab work this morning and didn't wake me. So now I have to go by myself. Boo hoo.

There was something I was going to write that was worth writing. But what was it??? It is forever in my brain.

Joyce, Indiana

Yup, one cat left, pooch was stuck for a sec, wanted to take a pic b4 I unstuck him, that was yogi
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,828 Member
    Options
    Oh, two things I wanted to add. Never been to Disney. Am I weird? It is on my bucket list; but it is WAAaaaay down the list. There are other places I want to see first.
    I lost a pound this week! Yea, ME! I was worried all of the veg plus trying to get more water in has made me feel like I am going to explode. My colonoscopy is coming up...I am definitely weighing myself after that! >:)
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Karen in Virginia-Cheri Repeat after me, "I am a capable, smart traveler. I can get anywhere I want to go. I am a brilliant woman who can figure anything out, even if I hate flying. I am going to have FUN! and everything is going to be OKAY!" <3<3<3

Will do! Putting this on an index card and in a memo on my phone! <3

Cheri

P.S. This is also going in my Little Black Book of Favorite Quotes! As is Lisa's!

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    We've been getting ready for DH's eye surgery. He's made up a current list of medications and supplements, and I've contacted the city to let the planner know that I won't be at this week's meeting. I skipped yoga today but will ride the bike in the garage to burn calories and get my metabolism moving. :flowerforyou:
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy new year.Been mia,hubby was on vac,the beginning of jan.
    trying to get back on track.
    dealing with some depression,my current situation and my friends 2 year angel anniv.
    can use some prayers and some support.
    tx
    hugs
  • IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Ok PM just will not work to you...

GloworminWA aka Gloria

Gloria

there is a trick to the whole message thing... You click a person's name - and it brings up that first "send a message" option. Don't get sucked into that... it won't work, ever. You have to click on their name in THAT box - to be taken to their profile page. THEN you can send a message and it will work.

Hugs!

Re in TX
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Oh, lordy, seven pages of unread messages after the weekend! I had to skim.

canookie - My boobs are pretty big, so although they do stick out further than my stomach (at least when I'm wearing a bra), but your "weight loss goal" image still gave me such a laugh! Also, loved the parrot video. I'll have to see if my rose-breasted cockatoo will play with a soda can. The pionus would drink soda if we let her, but the can might be a little too big for her.

Sherry - Glad you are safe, and I hope you are in a permanent home soon.

Toni - My brother and his family have two Springer Spaniels. They are officially hunting dogs, but that doesn't keep them from being spoiled rotten family members too!

Betty - When I can afford it, I get big boxes of individually packaged granola bars or trail mix at the warehouse store and keep a few to hand out to panhandlers. We have a lot of them here. My favorite was the guy who was offering poems in exchange for donations.

sherryminchagain - Cute graphic about being "different." I guess technically I AM fat and weird, but I'm trying to do something about the former and I'm OK with the latter... ;D

Beth - If you don't like the texture of whole chia seeds, try grinding them up (I use a coffee grinder) and adding a little to other foods. This recipe is tasty: http://www.doctoroz.com/recipe/pumpkin-chia-muffins. (I think Dr. Oz is kind of a hack, but his muffins are good!) You might like them better if you put them in stuff like refrigerator oatmal where the texture isn't as noticeable.

Becca - Your guy has such a nice smile!

How I envy all of you who posted snow pictures. The thing I miss most from our years in the mountains of New Mexico is snow. We had our obligatory killing freeze here over the weekend, with several days of hard freezing temps. Just enough to kill anything that's not protected, but that'll probably be about all the winter we get.

My husband's annual employee dinner was last night at Texas Land and Cattle. I ate too much, but I tried to be mindful and I did plan ahead for it so my day came out alright.

OK, now it's time for me to cut up my veggies for the day and then get back to work.

Be good,

-Yvonne in TX
  • IremiaRe
    Options
    Brendad00 wrote: »
    Trying so hard to get modivated today to get on my treadmill. Any suggestions.

I treat the exercise the way I treat the laundry... something that just has to be done. To get through it, I distract myself by reading a trashy novel on my tablet... Pre-tablet, I used to read and actual book - although it was a bit clumsier.

The idea is, you can generally walk and read at the same time - on a treadmill - and the book takes your mind away from what you are doing.

Good Luck!
  • IremiaRe
    Options
    Charleen2 wrote: »
    Rori - Did you notice that dude in the background is also smiling for the picture??? For the record, we don't know him, but we found everyone very friendly there! I need to either find a different picture for the forum or find a rubber fun fish to hold in front of me when I meet any of you for the first time.

Charleen in Colorado (Like I said before, I just can't take myself anywhere without a little fun ensuing)

Charleen - I like the rubber fish idea - but perhaps you could just crop the photo in the thread? LOL
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Finally caught up! LOL! Was without internet, house phone, and tv for most of the day. Brought me back to my early married years when we had none of that. Boy, was it missed.

PIP ~ I love that pic of Yogi stuck in the fence. It is my favorite and the one of the cat loving on the pup. When my Pom was little, I had to put a rock at the crack in the fence gate so he couldn't squeeze through.

Becca ~ Your hubby is very nice looking. And, so are you!

Barbie ~ Glad to know you miss your soaps as do I. My son and I watched The Guiding Light for years. Now, I have followed General Hospital for the last year. Mindless entertainmet. :)

Heather and DJ ~ I am sorry about both of your friends who are fighting cancer. You are both such good friends to them and they are lucky to have you.

Several schools were closed here today due to ice on the roads. My DnL did not have to go in but I am sure they will have to make it up at the end of the year.

Carol in GA

• sherryminchagain
    sherryminchagain Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Hey now....

Re - hiya! I made it back. Sorry I didn't email you back. I have been busy settling in here.

Yvonne - yeah, me too!

Well, just thought I would jump in and say "Hey!". Am cooking me a chicken breast and technicolor veggies for lunch so gotta run for now. Be back later.

Sherry in " winter wonderland"
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,816 Member
    Options
    Hello all: It is finally warming up here. Ground is still frozen though. I have some reactive airway disease and have been sick since the weather got really cold. I see the doc tomorrow. Haven't had a lot of appetite though so maybe that is a good thing. Just hope I don't end up on prednisone again.

Beth - I use chia seeds in overnight oatmeal and also make chia gel with one tablespoon of chia seed to two tablespoons of fruit juice. I like it with pomegranate juice best. The texture could be a problem for some but I like it and it is an easy way to increase fiber which I need to do.

Mia and Chris - Good to see you back.

Sherry - Hope Missy is safe and is back with you soon.

Traveling mercies to those of you who will be traveling soon. "Don't let the fear of striking out hold you back"

Everyone take care, Sue in WA
  • IremiaRe
    Options
    Hey now....

Re - hiya! I made it back. Sorry I didn't email you back. I have been busy settling in here.

Sherry in " winter wonderland"

No Worries, Sugar. I am glad to see you, here.

Hugs!

Re in TX