Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is the 'fat acceptance' movement a good thing?

Options

Replies

• candythorns
    candythorns Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I think the issue is food and not ppl. We glorify food. There are foodies. People go out to eat as an event.

And plenty of those people are not overweight. The biggest foodies I know are all a healthy weight.

And all those that follow the foodies? Im just saying
  • candythorns
    candythorns Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I think the issue is food and not ppl. We glorify food. There are foodies. People go out to eat as an event.

And plenty of those people are not overweight. The biggest foodies I know are all a healthy weight.

Everyone can control how much they eat. Blaming food is just a poor excuse.

Im not saying its the existence of food but relationships to food. People arent born fat.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Yeah, I was going to say the same thing.

For the most part, I think really appreciating and enjoying food doesn't make you more likely to get overweight or obese. For me, it's helpful to make sure I really appreciate what I eat, have some really special occasions (going to a good restaurant) that are planned for, and to eat mindfully (which foodies do). Plus, for me again, being a foodie (as some might call be) relates to carrying about how the food I eat is made, what's in it, wanting to cook myself, and even garden, etc.

I think a lot of people who are obese in the US eat mindlessly -- stuff like shoving down whatever is convenient in the car -- or food because it's there (I used to do this, now I'm more picky), or have shame/binge cycles where part of it is telling yourself that food should not be pleasurable, be enjoyed. Our weird Puritan thing where it's either denial or excess that is not even adequately enjoyed (unfair to the actual Puritans, btw). Countries with better food cultures than the US on average (although there are pockets of real food cultures available throughout the US) tend to have less obesity, like Italy and France (although they are catching up some). I don't think caring about food is the problem.
  • AnthonyX150X
    AnthonyX150X Posts: 293 Member
    Options

Everyone can control how much they eat. Blaming food is just a poor excuse.

Im not saying its the existence of food but relationships to food. People arent born fat.

Of course food itself isn't the problem, but people can control their relationships with food. For some, its harder than others, but at the end of the day they are responsible for what they consume.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Yeah, I was going to say the same thing.

For the most part, I think really appreciating and enjoying food doesn't make you more likely to get overweight or obese. For me, it's helpful to make sure I really appreciate what I eat, have some really special occasions (going to a good restaurant) that are planned for, and to eat mindfully (which foodies do). Plus, for me again, being a foodie (as some might call be) relates to carrying about how the food I eat is made, what's in it, wanting to cook myself, and even garden, etc.

I think a lot of people who are obese in the US eat mindlessly -- stuff like shoving down whatever is convenient in the car -- or food because it's there (I used to do this, now I'm more picky), or have shame/binge cycles where part of it is telling yourself that food should not be pleasurable, be enjoyed. Our weird Puritan thing where it's either denial or excess that is not even adequately enjoyed (unfair to the actual Puritans, btw). Countries with better food cultures than the US on average (although there are pockets of real food cultures available throughout the US) tend to have less obesity, like Italy and France (although they are catching up some). I don't think caring about food is the problem.

The catch-up in obesity rates, at least here (Italy) is children. However, the culture has always pushed for fat babies and children (think cherbs in all those famous paintings) because of the infant mortality rate in the past. A fat baby would have a better chance of survival. Statistics on obesity are a new thing here, so those kids could slim down as their parents and grandparents did.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    CipherZero wrote: »
    "Fat acceptance", as initially conceived, was about the overfat bringing to light and trying to change discriminative practices in pay, job acquisition, job security, promotions, and so forth.

At its fringes - which unfortunately are the most vocal group - "small fats" are somehow more privileged that "large fats" and any attempt to lose weight by their proclaimed members is seen as a betrayal of the highest order. Stores not carrying things in sizes of 20+ for women's clothing is seen as discrimination and complaints that clothing for larger people costs more - both of which don't match with the reality that there's less demand for wildly extreme sizes on any spectrum.

Mind, I'm a guy with a 28-inch inseam; last time I searched Amazon I found a total of fourteen selections in my waist and inseam sizes, most of which started at over $100. That's not discrimination, that's the reality of the marketplace for out-of-normal range clothing.

This fringe is little different from the pro-anorexia folks, and just as misguided. It's morphed into the notion that actual physical form doesn't matter at all as far as health, attractiveness, and a host of other things, including lauding lifestyle choices that are clearly self-destructive; if you disagree, you're clearly 'thin privileged' and 'a troll', both of which I've been repeatedly called by this same loudmouth fringe when asking what are apparently awkward reality-based questions about the movement.

At its very genesis, the underbelly of the movement had dubious beginnings. NAAFTA actually has roots in feeder fetish circles.

There's a link for this somewhere to be found on reddit, and I've seen it, but I don't have time to dig it up right now. The founder of NAAFTA was a feeder.

The original leaders of the other arm of fat acceptance who were trying to launch a movement latched onto him because he was getting somewhere (think Judy Freepsirit here) and a movement was born. These women didn't care that they were being used, as long as their political agenda was being furthered.
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Interesting topic. I live in Europe, and things are different here (Italy). It's hard to be obese here. I remember over 20 yrs ago, on TV they were interviewing several obese folks and I still remember one guy saying "Society cannot and should not make things easy for us, it's too costly for everyone else and makes it easier for there to be more of us". Here in Italy it's hard to find clothes, furniture, etc. I'm tall with a bigger shoe size and had a devil of a time here. I was always medium build so I could fit into clothes--I cannot immagine the struggles of an obese person--so, you have to stay smaller or you're in big trouble. In the States and several other countries it's easier to be obese, so people are.
    Sorry, to answer you're question--it's not a good thing in my opinion.

As a small man, I must say I am in trouble as well here in Europe. I'm basically a 44, size which most of the time I simply can't find (and when I find it it is often too big anyway). Solution? "Juvenile" shops, even if I'm 48 :smiley:

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    CipherZero wrote: »
    "Fat acceptance", as initially conceived, was about the overfat bringing to light and trying to change discriminative practices in pay, job acquisition, job security, promotions, and so forth.

At its fringes - which unfortunately are the most vocal group - "small fats" are somehow more privileged that "large fats" and any attempt to lose weight by their proclaimed members is seen as a betrayal of the highest order. Stores not carrying things in sizes of 20+ for women's clothing is seen as discrimination and complaints that clothing for larger people costs more - both of which don't match with the reality that there's less demand for wildly extreme sizes on any spectrum.

Mind, I'm a guy with a 28-inch inseam; last time I searched Amazon I found a total of fourteen selections in my waist and inseam sizes, most of which started at over $100. That's not discrimination, that's the reality of the marketplace for out-of-normal range clothing.

This fringe is little different from the pro-anorexia folks, and just as misguided. It's morphed into the notion that actual physical form doesn't matter at all as far as health, attractiveness, and a host of other things, including lauding lifestyle choices that are clearly self-destructive; if you disagree, you're clearly 'thin privileged' and 'a troll', both of which I've been repeatedly called by this same loudmouth fringe when asking what are apparently awkward reality-based questions about the movement.

At its very genesis, the underbelly of the movement had dubious beginnings. NAAFTA actually has roots in feeder fetish circles.

There's a link for this somewhere to be found on reddit, and I've seen it, but I don't have time to dig it up right now. The founder of NAAFTA was a feeder.

The original leaders of the other arm of fat acceptance who were trying to launch a movement latched onto him because he was getting somewhere (think Judy Freepsirit here) and a movement was born. These women didn't care that they were being used, as long as their political agenda was being furthered.

*NAAFA. Stupid autocorrect.
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    fattymcrunnerpants Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Point blank I don't think anyone should be shamed for being fat or skinny. It's not OK to judge people's bodies. We all have our on vices, some are just more visible than others. It's also not OK to give your thoughts on why someone else is fat regardless if you've been fat yourself unless they specifically ask for your input. I firmly believe that we cannot take care of ourselves properly if you don't love yourself unconditionally as you are. This goes for physically and psychologically. It's important to build people up instead of tearing them down. It's important to show love regardless of size (big or small) because we are social creatures and are mostly hard wired to thrive on positive social interactions. So yes, I think it's a good thing. It's a good thing to promote an inclusive environment where the focus isn't on the size it's on the person.

Have you ever noticed (I'm sure you have) that the clothing options for people in outlying sizes are vastly ugly and out of date? Like put on a moo moo and try to have confidence in yourself when the whole world wants to drag you down. So I think accepting the fat PERSON will help that person love themselves and maybe even want to inspire change. Fat shaming doesn't work in the long run.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Point blank I don't think anyone should be shamed for being fat or skinny.

No one can "shame" you unless you feel you're doing something wrong. If you're satisfied with your weight, nothing anyone else does is going to make you feel bad about it.

Children are easy to shame, because they haven't yet developed the skills to understand right from wrong, or have difficulty controlling their emotions. If you're not a child and you think it's possible to be "fat-shamed" (or "slut-shamed," or whatever), then it's time to either grow up, or stop doing things that make you unhappy.
  • nerdsubtype
    nerdsubtype Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I say just mind your own business, and do what's best for you. It doesn't do anyone any good whatsoever to shame OR praise someone for such a non-achievement as being overweight. Like my mother (and yours too, probably) liked to say, "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."
  • anl90
    anl90 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Honestly? To a certain extent, yes. I don't think it's about condoning obesity, but more about accepting yourself for who you are, and understanding you are more than just a number on a scale. Growing up, I hated myself because of my weight - I still do, to be blunt. But the sad thing is, up until high school I was only slightly overweight, and far from obese. Yet, because of the media, and what people around me told me, I always thought I was never good enough because I wasn't "skinny". Maybe if this had been around then, I would have a different mindset. Or maybe not - I digress. My point is, I think it's helping the younger generation understand not everyone is the same - some people are going to be bigger than others, and that is okay, because it makes us all unique. :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,525 Member
    Options
    Relser wrote: »
    I think it's good in the fact that it promotes not being a total *kitten* to someone because they are fat. I mean really, how does someone else being fat affect me?
    Well this actually happened to me at Disney World. A female and her kids got on the transportation bus. Myself and my brother in law, were both sitting and we both got up to let the female sit down. She chose his spot (which was beside me). I was at the end of the seat (bench seats) and she sat to my left. Every time the bus driver stopped she slid into me and pressed me into the end of the bench. And she was well over 250lbs. Not discriminating, but it was an uncomfortable ride all the way to our hotel.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I wish people would separate the arguments for self positivity, and anti-shaming from the Fat Acceptance movement proper. Because they are two separate things.

If you think the Fat Acceptance movement is simply about obese people not wanting to be shamed, you're not aware of things I posted in the other thread.

That is not where the movement is headed. The vanguard of the movement is actively against thin people. The vanguard of the movement shames obese people for losing weight. The vanguard of the movement is taking steps to have the morbidly obese regarded as a protected class.

I firmly believe all of that is hogwash and wrong-headed and is entirely separate from the issue of affording dignity to individuals who are obese.

Legislation has been attempted to be introduced in one Canadian province along the lines of the granting the obese special privilege. Universities have courses specializing in "fat studies". This is taking things too far down into the rabbit hole.

Obesity is a self-inflicted condition that can be treated. I'd rather see some focus on how the complex condition can be effectively addressed than this denial that it's a problem to the point where it's invading academia.

From the other end of the spectrum,my experience is that thin people are shamed too. At 5'3 and around 112 lbs,I was within the "healthy "range for my height and yet was judged and slated on a regular basis and called skinny,emaciated,scrawny,told to eat more because I needed fattening up,assumptions made that I have an ED and even ,on one occasion,it was suggested that my partner must be some kind of closet paedophile because he found my thin body attractive.
    I actually wasn't happy with my weight which is why I joined mfp and have now gained weight (am now 127 lbs)
    My point is,no one has the right to judge anyone on the basis of size and appearance ,or make unfounded assumptions about their health on the basis of appearance.