Ask a mortician

Options

Replies

• wrknonmedaily
    wrknonmedaily Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I tell my kids, 24 and 19, that if I drop dead, cremate me in a cardboard box because I do not want to be laying in that casket 10 years later looking the same. How long does the body stay in that state with embalming fluid? Can you choose not to have the embalming fluid?
  • LittleHearseDriver
    LittleHearseDriver Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    How long does the body stay in that state with embalming fluid? Can you choose not to have the embalming fluid?
    Embalming doesn't stop decomposition, it slows in down drastically. Some people stay intact for years and others decay quickly. It all depends on how well they were embalmed and what the cause of death is. Embalming is not required by law in Tennessee, each state has their own rules and regulations.
  • xaryo
    xaryo Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    What about aquamation?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Embalming is not a requirement. Most people think embalming is required by law, but its something the old funeral directors would tell people so they could make more money.
    But doesn't the body decompose faster without embalming fluid? And the smell would be noxious right?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• LittleHearseDriver
    Options
    Embalming is kind of like pickling eggs. It won't make them last forever, but it will make it last a lot longer.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    Do you listen to music while working, or is that too awkward?

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Embalming is kind of like pickling eggs. It won't make them last forever, but it will make it last a lot longer.

What's the purpose of the embalming? I know it's so they don't decompose so quickly and burial can be arranged. But is that the only reason? Is there some historical/religious reasons for embalming?

I do not want to be embalmed. My husband says I have to be buried (Catholic) but I don't wanna be locked in a box for ever. I'd rather be creamated or a green burial. Maybe if the blood went to the dirt and not to the doody recycling facility.

And if I make my wishes known in a will, can my family do what ever they choose with my remains?

• fr3smyl
    fr3smyl Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    Would you rather be cremated or buried and why?

I don't think you are actually allowed to taxidermy a person (but I haven't done in depth research), so I would go with cremation since it is cheaper than burial.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Have you had any creepy/weird incidents involving bodies?
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Fairly sure this is the first time I've voluntarily sat and read through a thread from start to finish in about 2 years!
    Very interesting, some great questions and fantastic answers!

Right?? I'm STILL reading this thread days later. Completely fascinating.
  • klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Options
    Do you see any chance that human composting might become a viable option for disposal/recycling remains?
  • LittleHearseDriver
    Options
    Do you listen to music while working, or is that too awkward?
    I do if I'm in the mood. I prefer music when I'm embalming at night rather than the day time when someone could hear what I'm listening too.

What's the purpose of the embalming? I know it's so they don't decompose so quickly and burial can be arranged. But is that the only reason? Is there some historical/religious reasons for embalming?

I do not want to be embalmed. My husband says I have to be buried (Catholic) but I don't wanna be locked in a box for ever. I'd rather be cremated or a green burial. And if I make my wishes known in a will, can my family do what ever they choose with my remains?

The main purpose of embalming is to slow down the decomposition process if not they will discolor and smell in a short period of time. It gives the loved ones enough time to process the loss and bring closure.The Egyptians developed the first form of body preservation. They removed the organs and placed them in jars with various spices and oils. Then the body was rubbed down with a salt/oil mixture and wrapped in cotton. Embalming in the United States took off during the Civil War when a field surgeon named Dr. Thomas Holmes was asked by the military to embalm fallen troops so they could be sent home to their family for burial. Cremation is accepted in the Catholic church, you don't have to be buried. Your family can do whatever they wish with your ashes (bury, scatter, made into memorial jewelry, etc...)

Have you had any creepy/weird incidents involving bodies?

They occasionally burp when you move them, but it doesn't bother me. Don't believe all of those stories you hear about the dead moving, it's a bunch of crap.
    Ever pickle people and put them in a jar in the pantry?

Nah, I don't need souvenirs.

• HappyathomeMN
    HappyathomeMN Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I was married to a funeral director for many years. It's really a family business. Our oldest child works for him when she isn't attending college and our other kids have been around it their whole lives. When our oldest was little we lived on site and the crematory was a large building not too far from our home; she called it the creamery (at age 3). We still joke about it now and she is 20. Great questions and answers on here!
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    @LittleHearseDriver - I have two more questions please...

What's something about dead bodies that would surprise most people?

When you hear about cases where a guy wakes up alive in a bodybag or a morgue freezer, has there been a mistake made by someone, or is it actually possible for a body to exhibit no vital signs at all, and then regain them later?
  • suzievv
    suzievv Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I love this thread, and I think you should write that book. Remembrance of death is a good thing. This thread reminded me of "The Lonely Death of George Bell." I printed out the article and I keep it handy as an occasional reminder. It's about people who go into the messy homes of people who died-- people who no-one claims, no one comes and claims their stuff, no one comes and cleans up their homes for them after their death. It's VERY INTERESTING:

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/18/nyregion/dying-alone-in-new-york-city.html?_r=0
  • klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Options
    klkarlen wrote: »
    Do you see any chance that human composting might become a viable option for disposal/recycling remains?

Hmmm, maybe 100 years from now. I think in the next 50 years the government will get involved and take away the option to donate organs and make it mandatory. The hospitals will have an entire area devoted to organ/ skin/ tissue removal, kind of like a assembly line in a factory.

But what about folks who cannot donate organs or even blood due to an existing medical condition that could be passed on to the recipient of the donor organ/skin/blood?

We farm folks have been composting animal carcasses for many years.
    suzievv wrote: »
    I love this thread, and I think you should write that book. Remembrance of death is a good thing. This thread reminded me of "The Lonely Death of George Bell." I printed out the article and I keep it handy as an occasional reminder. It's about people who go into the messy homes of people who died-- people who no-one claims, no one comes and claims their stuff, no one comes and cleans up their homes for them after their death. It's VERY INTERESTING:

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/18/nyregion/dying-alone-in-new-york-city.html?_r=0

I read that a few times myself, sort of sad.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

Hmmm, maybe 100 years from now. I think in the next 50 years the government will get involved and take away the option to donate organs and make it mandatory. The hospitals will have an entire area devoted to organ/ skin/ tissue removal, kind of like a assembly line in a factory.

But what about folks who cannot donate organs or even blood due to an existing medical condition that could be passed on to the recipient of the donor organ/skin/blood?

We farm folks have been composting animal carcasses for many years.

The animal shelter here uses the animals put down and road kill... Or so I've heard. But I also heard that they cremate 'em.

I imagine you get a pass on the donation if your wares are contaminated. :wink: I don't mind being a donor.