WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2017

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,499 Member
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,187 Member
    Christy - One helpful thing the breast care nurse said to me, after my lumpectomy and lymph node removal, was that I was now cancer free. I didn't have cancer any more. The chemo was just to be 100% sure. I liked that idea. She also said, when I was first diagnosed on the very first day, "We aim to cure you." I clung on to that.
    Every day now is a bonus. I am determined to live life to the full. It sounds like you have the same attitude. :flowerforyou:

Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    hugs
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Hi all, popping in once in a while to skulk around, lol. I'm 52 (53 in March), 5'8 and 137.6 lbs at the moment (in maintenance for the past 3 yrs). Married my teenage sweetheart 34 years ago, no kids by choice. I live in South Central BC Canada (the westernmost province). I work in the Security & Policing Industry (mainly nightshift), used to be a rehab physio assistant/registered fitness coach for 25 years. I have dx'd fibromyalgia, celiac disease, and some osteoarthritis in overuse/accident areas which I am managing with a low carb/high fat/moderate protein/gluten free diet, and supplements. I'm also a member of the Low Carber Daily - Ladies 50+ group. I mostly get my exercise these days by walking (on foot patrol & with friends & hubby), snowshoeing, x-c skiing (+ some rare downhill - I used to patrol 30 years ago), hiking, canoeing, and for bad weather, aquacize and deep water running.

I think I came across this group a while ago but forgot to bookmark it, and you know how that goes, lol.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,101 Member
    Michele- A very moist Creamsicle! Did you use the white chocolate chips? If so, how did you do it, and how did it turn out? I put mine in a little early and they started melting into the cake mix. So, I ended up sprinkling them on top.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Glenda - Your basal metabolic rate almost entirely depends (unless you have an endocrinal problem) on your weight and build. Unfortunately a big, muscular man is burning up loads of calories doing nothing! A short, skinny woman can hardly eat anything if she doesn't exercise or she will put on weight. The MFP calculation is the best way to go.
    I have always eaten back all my exercise calories and lost 57 lbs that way, but now I am at maintenance I find I have to leave 100 of them on the table for the scales to move downwards. I use a base of 1200 and exercise 600, so, at the moment I am eating 1700. I am very happy with that and enjoy my food. :D I am 5'5" and I am currently 142 and a half. I would love to lose 2 and a half,. I am aiming for half a pound this coming week. I am 67.
    As you age you lose muscle bulk. By exercising vigorously you can help the muscle that remains to be more efficient . Muscle burns more calories than fat, which is not good news for us old ladies. Exercise is the only answer. Exercise is a miracle pill. :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx

This is a great explanation, Heather. I'm sure it will help some of the newbies to understand the process a bit better. While losing, I always ate back part of my exercise calories but not all of them. Even then, it took a long time to lose the weight. The reason is that I had over 70 pounds "to release." I still count my calories, but exercise has been a huge factor in keeping the weight off. I have several different activities to keep me healthy and happy. I take yoga classes, ride a recumbent bike, walk with friends, and ride horses. The bike is the most useful as a counter measure for overeating. If I overeat, I get onto the bike and ride long & hard enough to earn the extra calories. The bike is on a trainer in the garage, ready and waiting for me when I need it. I can also take it off the trainer and ride in the neighborhood.

Katla in snowy NW Oregon
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited January 2017
    On another topic, DH's surgery didn't happen. :grumble: We had snow in the night and the manager of the surgery center canceled all procedures. She called to let us know this morning at 5 am. We'd already spent the night in a hotel near the surgery center & gone out to dinner last night. We came home today after her call. The trip home was quite an ordeal. DH demanded to drive, and then got onto Interstate 5 despite my telling him not to. Many people in western Oregon are not snow savvy drivers. We were instantly stuck in a traffic jam. We sat still or oozed along as traffic allowed for a long time before finally getting to an off ramp. Then we switched to city streets and were able to get home without further stress. I was greeted by a little bird who was starving. She flew right into the garage to look at me eye to eye. Snow had piled onto the hummingbird feeders and made it impossible for the birds to drink. It took just a moment to wipe the snow away and the birdies have been there ever since, making up for lost time. It is almost dark and there are two birds at each feeder right now. :heart:

Katla the crazy bird lady in snowy NW Oregon
  • pipcd34
    gcfdk8jdewji.jpg
    Floyd
  • blumenstockbj
    blumenstockbj Posts: 94 Member
    Barb B. Indiana.
  • Jaja99
    Jaja99 Posts: 21 Member
    Cheri, ha ha, that pound of fat! I want one to hang from the refrigerator door handle. Maybe another for the pantry door. I can visualize a big old pile on the fireplace showing all the lbs. lost.

Glenda- my calorie budget is 1290 per day. I’ve lost 26 lbs in about 28 weeks. I’ve never made it to a maintenance weight. Well at least not in the last 40 years!

Kschmidt64- Good luck with your surgery! Do you have a date yet? Nothing about running sounds like fun to me, but I admire those that do run.

Well, the snow mostly melted today so we go back to school tomorrow. I guess I’d better get back to my paperwork so I’ll be ready for our excited little students tomorrow.
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited January 2017
    Jana, thank you for the nice compliment on my picture. Struggling right now. My husband told me today that I "worry" about it too much. Guess I need to just keep on keeping on. :/

Janetr okc
  • clarebare60
    clarebare60 Posts: 7 Member
    Heather in the UK. I'm sorry you've had to go through the bc journey. Sounds like you are well and are looking forward which is great. I agree it's reassuring to have the cancer out. My surgeon said basically the same thing. As far as he was concerned the cancer is gone. I've been very clear I want to be treated aggressively. The oncologist that treated my son said... we're going to really zap it so he doesn't have to keep looking over his shoulder for the rest of his life. I'm asking the medical care to do exactly the same for me. So far they've done what I've asked. I had clear margins after surgery and I'm having chemo and radiation. I feeling very optimistic... I have shaky moments. Thank you for talking me out of it. All the very best for your continued good health. Thank you for sharing with me.
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Good WEDNESDAY EVENING friends. Feel much better today so went to play bridge. Tomorrow is suppose to be 76 degrees so will try to get back to golf.
    Katla- sorry the eye surgery was cancelled as I know you were mentally prepared for it. Have they rescheduled?
    Got a giggle out of the comment about being a little behind. You guys crack me up.
    Didn't go to weight in today but will go Saturday. Think I will do ok.
    Have a great day tomorrow.
    SueBDew in TX
  • pipcd34
    stats for the day:

ride hm 2 gym- 16.29min, 10.7amph, 143mhr, 2.9mi= 168c - 18mph winds
    applie iwatch- didn't record
    SPIN- 42MIN, 87ar, 91aw, 9-12g, 152mhr, 18.1mi = 308c
    apple iwatch- 305c
    ride gym 2 dome- 7.38min, 132mhr, 11.2amph, 1.4mi = 78c - 18mph winds
    apple iwatch- 56c
    walk station 2 wk- 8.07min, 4.2ap, 134mhr, .5mi = 72c
    apple iwatch- 52c
    walk/jog wk 2 sta- 6.44min, 4.1ap, 105mhr, don't think it recorded rright,.5mi = 45c
    apple iwatch - 52c
    ride dome 2 hm- 19.19min, 8amph, 132mhr, 2.5mi = 177c
    apple iwatch- 146c

total cal 855
  • pipcd34
    Good evening Ladies.

kr4kvv0gcze5.jpg
    Pip posted her holiday nails and I'll share mine now (since I wasn't around then).

Love and support to everyone.

Chris in MA where the flu is rampant in my home and I am staying away from everyone

ooooo purdyyyyy!!!
  • IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    edited January 2017
    Hello Heavenly Honeys!

Another day of inactivity... I had time to doll myself up for work, since I didn’t get to the gym. I actually went ahead and had my co-worker take a picture – since the one I had on my work profile was old and less than spectacular...I switched it out in my MFP profile, too.

I must say – eating my main lunch food midway through my day was a huge success in terms of making better choices at dinner. I was not lured by the rice that my Husband cooked... I virtuously ate a large quantity of broccoli with my crockpot Chicken Marsala. It was quite good – and I had enough calories left for choco-sticks! I’m telling you – I can put up with a LOT if I can have my choco-sticks after dinner, guilt free.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Becca – My grey hasn’t overtaken the rest, yet... and since I have never tried to color nearly three feet of hair, it always plays nice – if it doesn’t I just tie it up until it does. Preparation is going to be the key for me, also.... even more at the lower calories. Otherwise, I am going to be stuck eating whatever I happen to find... not the plan when a restaurant meal can swallow up your whole day of calorie allotment. I like your hair mid-back... Heck, I liked MY hair better, mid-back... but DH likes it long, sooo.... *sighs* The things we do to make our men happy. Love the pics!

Margaret – What I have is probably bones touching where cartilage should be...Alas there is no easy fix. Thank goodness I have decent insurance coverage. It’s one of the bright spots in this corporate environment. Keep on logging! Ten minutes a day can save your knees. Unfortunately, mine is more than just “aggravated” so, I will go in and get them to take a look. I am so glad to hear your knee is improving!

Sue/WA – You rest up! Exercise is important – but not when you are hacking up a lung. Rest now – walk later. ((Hugs!))

Mary <3

Christy/Melbourne – The knees are just genetically bad – acerbated by YEARS of being morbidly obese – and apparently walking with a bent leg didn’t help matters, either. The joint has just worn down to the point of no return, now... Alas, it’s not anything torn – it wasn’t like all of the sudden something happened. It was just that what had been a dull ache and stiffness after a tiring day has become a sharp pain whenever I try to use the knee... it got worse over the last week of working outside with a lot of bending and carrying. . If I am very lucky, I will turn out to be wrong... and whatever it is will be fixable. Maybe a little chunk of calcium is grinding in there and can be removed... but, I am not going to count on that. Fortunately, I am insured – although there are always bills over and above what the insurance pays – so it just means I will be impoverished for another couple of years paying for whatever has to be done. I can deal with impoverished a LOT better than I can deal with immobility. I am thinking good thoughts for non-malignant kidney bits. ((Hugs!!))

Barbie/Parkland – I loved the PNW, too – except... 300 days a year of rain starts to wear on a gal who was born in Cali and ran the beaches there until she was 12. So... when the opportunity to transplant my life to Dallas came up – I grabbed it. Now it’s 300 days of sunshine – ahhh. Much better. I miss the green and the mountains, now and again – but, I don’t miss that constant “damp” feeling. We are here to cheer you on! MFP is greatness for losing weight. Good luck!

SueBDew – Sorry you had a “stuck in the bathroom” kind of day, yesterday.... I hope you are feeling a LOT better, today.

Joyce
    – You techno-wizard, you! Sorry about the mystery Hgb...

Pip – Man, I think Kirby looks great with the short hair, too... You guys are so darned cute, together! Dang – you are just a huge source of cuteness today... Lovin’ on Floyd as a puppy, too.

Lenora – You have been awfully quiet, today. Hope you are doing OK.

Lanette – I have yet to attempt the yoga... sorry. I may try it, one day – since it is one of those fabulous body/mind thing... but, I haven’t gotten around to it... and I guess I am afraid that I will have the same sort of instructor experience that you did.

Janet
    – Oh yeah... INSTANT – and definitely spectacular. The instant just ain’t happening... but, the results so far have been pretty dramatic and spectacular, if you look at where I started. AND YOU! Don’t sweat it if you aren’t losing right now... just so long as the scale doesn’t go the WRONG direction, you are fine for a bit. Take a moment and look at some old pictures... it always makes ME feel better. ((hugs!!))

Barbie
    – Hurray for easy trips and good results!

Michele
    – If I could, I would use my crockpot for EVERYTHING... lol. I love that you can turn it on before you go to work and come home to a ready to eat meal. And how sweet of you to go shooting just to make that gal feel more comfortable.

Marni – Love the veterinarian diet... I may have to resort to that as I lose more weight and have to reduce my calorie goal further and further... lol. And oh yeah – out of sight, out of mouth is working for me, too. I go into the communal kitchen as infrequently as humanly possible – and when I do, it’s straight to the hot-water spigot for my tea. No staring longingly at the Doritos in the vending machine... no acknowledgment of the donuts on the counter. Get the hot water and get back to my nice, food-free desk. LOL – so now you have a parrot that barks on command. Thanks for the laugh!

Kim:)

Katla – We are all bright and colorful, right? And, me, I think it’s girl-power to be a Vixen. And yeah... the whole patience thing. Errr – not my strong suit. *sigh* I will behave... I will behave... I will behave.... And the birds can be demanding, can’t they? The smaller ones seem to be the least afraid.

Gloria – No pancakes taste as good as baggy pants feel... lol. And wasn’t the omelette tasty? You rocked the food selection! And hey – the scales show it!

Sharon/Lethbridge – Thanks for the good thoughts... I have a fantasy that there is a fast fix for my knee – but, I am not going to count on that. Good luck with the lottery... I keep hoping for one of those big wins, too – but, so far, no dice.

Kate/UK – ((Hugs!!))

Lisa/WTX – Happy Press Day!

NYKaren – Aw, I feel your pain... I had the same problem last month. No control – just eating whatever came to hand. Your loved ones will return to you on Friday...they aren’t going to be too long. Just don’t beat yourself up too much. That will only make it worse... ((Hugs!!))

Allie – Glad you were able to sleep – even on the firmer mattress. ((Hugs!!)) Maybe it will soften up over the next few days. *fingers crossed*

Heather
    – I am so the opposite of you... I always buy too much. I have enough socks to last me until I die... lol. But, I am not always Johnny on the Spot to do laundry – so, having a lot of socks keeps me from running out. And GRATZ on the half pound. You can do it... you can drop the other half.

KJ – Awesome work on the cookie challenge! I would surely have succumbed to at least one or two oreos... but, they are a trigger food for me, so – I do NOT buy them... ever. I think that there is some addictive drug in the creamy center... I don’t even LIKE the cookies that much – but once I start eating them, I have NO control... I eat way, way too many of them every time. It’s just not worth having them around.

Rita
    – Glad the chiro helps. ((Hugs!))

BelleB)

Jana
    - I so feel your communication story. There is OK and then there is OK... lol.

Cheri
    – Excellent solution! Whatever keeps the snacks at bay. I couldn’t afford to buy the fat replicas! It would cost me over a thousand dollars – JUST for the pounds lost since March 30th... LOL. Not to mention I would have to use them in some sort of decorative garden or something – cause there is nowhere to pile up that much “junk” in my house. :p

Yvonne – Oh yes! Would you not LOVE to see his take on Hillary and Donald and all the merry band of players in today’s politics? I would probably die laughing. Pecan butter sounds divine... but, I imagine I would eat a very great deal of it... which would be counter-productive.

Charleen
    Charleen2 wrote: »
    It looks like what I pull out of the back end of a whole chicken prior to roasting it. Mine is cheaper and I get a roasted chicken too.
    LOL – RIGHT – and the chicken makes several tasty meals...

Glenda
    – Current weight – 217 – Height, 5’4” – I was eating around 1800 – 2000 calories a day and losing a pound a week... but, I was doing the elliptical machine for a minimum of 30 minutes, or longer, every single day – and doing some weight lifting. I agree with Heather... Exercise is a miracle pill – the only one out there that works.

KSchmidt64
    – I also tried every “diet” on earth... to no avail. I had a lap-band – but be advised... in the long run, you still have to come to terms with food and how it affects your body and how much exercise is right for you. I am still learning... and slowly but surely, still losing. Good luck.

Toni – ((hugs!))

Kay:p

Jane – ((HUGS!!))

Canadjineh – Welcome back!

Sarah – Welcome! Another IF girl... I am working that hard, right now... eating two meals is the only way to manage my CICO while I am on the injured list. So far, so good...

Barb/Indiana - *waves*

Chris/MA – Kudos for “Just saying No” to the carrot cake and the wine! Great nails!

^^^^^^^^^

Well, I am off to the Walmart to pick up some beef base to make gravy. We are having one of my Mini-meatloafs tonight – 12 oz of fantastically delicious beef and pork mixture in one of those baby loaf pans – and all I have to do when I get home is make the gravy with the drippings and some instant mash. DH has taken on as much cooking as he can manage (no balance from stroke-damage, so standing is an issue for him), since my leg started to act up. I knew that man was a keeper!

He will throw the ready to cook meatloaf into the oven and steam some cauliflower. I will make instant mash (for him) and gravy (for both of us!) when I get home. Another case of preparation saving the day... I put up 14 of those baby meatloafs in the freezer not long ago... so, DH can cook any time I don’t throw something in the crockpot.

Hugs for Everybody!

Re in TX
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Both my older sisters are survivors of breast cancer; oldest one is almost 72; and, her first bout was when she was only 39. She's been through a lot of surgeries because of cancer. Had a tumor taken off one of her kidneys. Middle sister had a bi-lateral mastectomy 3 years ago. I took chemo for 9 weeks after losing my first pregnancy to a Hydatidiformole pregnancy. Before that ... there had been 'no family' history of cancer. I was able to carry 2 pregnancies to term after that and have two wonderful, smart, good-looking sons and now 3 biological granddaughters + one that came as a 'packaged deal' when my DYS got married for the first time 2 years ago this May. I'm glad that I had a very determined OB/GYN who was going to figure out what was going on and 'not' take the easy way out and perform a hysterectomy. That happened when I was 35 (fibroid tumors).

I do my monthly self-exam religiously. When I feel something that had not been there before, I will check it for a couple of days, then if DH can feel it ... I call my GYN ... and I usually get 'in to see him' later that day or the next day for sure.

Praying for you and for you to get good news and a good outcome. We're here for you and anytime you need to 'vent' or whatever ... we're here to listen. Share our stories and just listen if we need to.

Lenora
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,329 Member
    Joyce - here's hoping you get answers

Clare - (((HUGS)))

Mary - I put about 1 cup of the chips in a bowl and then put the hot pudding on top so that melted the chips. Well, almost. Then I added the cake mix and the mixer broke the chips down so you really couldn't see them. The rest I melted and used as a glaze. Yes, it IS very moist. In some ways, too moist. Wonder if it can be adapted for something else (but I don't know what)?????

Sarah - welcome. You posted perfectly. Now just tell us more about yourself while you get to know us all. We love exchanging info about each other

katla - when will they be rescheduling hubby's surgery for?

Chris - sounds like you're making really good choices. Great nails

I may have to go to the gym tomorrow without makeup. I need to get my workout in before their class starts. Afterwards, I'm thinking that I may stop at Bi-Lo since I need to get yogurt.

Re - have you ever used those crockpot liners? They sure make cleanup a whole lot easier.

Nite Nite everyone

Michele in NC