Replies

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
  • grward612
    grward612 Posts: 72 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Weight loss is definitely much harder since I hit the 50's bracket! I'm curious to know how many calories you ladies consume per day to lose weight and how much you consume to maintain weight. I realize that what you do may not work for me or vice versa. It's kind of like the weighing daily, weekly, monthly question ... I'm just curious to see where I fall in the pack.

THANK YOU!
    Glenda
  • Kschmidt64
    Kschmidt64 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My New Years Resolution: get ready for Weight Loss Surgery. I have tried all sorts of diets over the years. Didn't work very well long term.

So I decided to take My Life Back! So I am getting the Gastric Sleeve *80% of my stomach is removed*. Like most every women out there we put everyone first but ourselves. So I am taking charged for Me/Myself and I and looking forward to being 125 pounds lighter in the next 12-18 months.
    I've given up a lot being married to a US Marine (now retired), so now its my turn to do for myself.

One of my goals is to start running again. Work up to a 5k and a 10k. Might even get brave enough if I get confident and do a half marathon for a good cause like Susan G Komen, Food Bank or charity group. I think that would be fun to do. I just have to find out if there are a few that will let dogs run with you. Got 2 Border Collies that it would be good for. Tire there little butts out. They got more energy in a day than I do in a week and then still have some left over.
  • Charleen2
    Charleen2 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Cheri - It looks like what I pull out of the back end of a whole chicken prior to roasting it. Mine is cheaper and I get a roasted chicken too.

Charleen in Colorado (Finally!! 2 days of high winds day and night and it's now quiet. Maybe I can sleep tonight)
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Charleen2 wrote: »
    Cheri - It looks like what I pull out of the back end of a whole chicken prior to roasting it. Mine is cheaper and I get a roasted chicken too.

Charleen in Colorado (Finally!! 2 days of high winds day and night and it's now quiet. Maybe I can sleep tonight)

So true!!! lol

Cheri
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,050 Member
    Options
    Yvonne sorry about your hips.

My knee continues to improve. It is still not a 100% but is much better than where it was a month ago. The exercising is helping to reduce the inflammation.

I have been trying to add in some of the habits that I am learning or being reminded from the book Sleep Smarter by Shawn Stevenson. I have put it on my list to get a new bed like Alison.

The one recommendation I am not sure about is something called grounding while you sleep. The idea behind it is we are surrounded by electrical fields and this is a way to make sure our exposure gets grounded back to the earth. I do think the jury is still out about about all the exposure to EMF (electromagnetic radiation) we encounter in a day. I just don't know if grounding is necessary and or safe the way they have you go about it. The one thing I did was unplug anything near the bed where I sleep. If an appliance is plugged in there is electricity in the wire even if it is turned off. I figure unplugging these appliances couldn't hurt, and it did get me to move the alarm clock across the room. I did give up an electric blanket years ago. I also keep conversation on my cell phone short and I only use it when standing still. I learned that if you are moving when using your cell phone like in a car it increases your exposure to radio frequency exposure. Again the jury is still out on many of these things because the technology is so new.

Other than grounding recommendation I found many of his ideas made sense and I will continue to try some of them.

:heart: Margaret
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,112 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    grward612 wrote: »
    Weight loss is definitely much harder since I hit the 50's bracket! I'm curious to know how many calories you ladies consume per day to lose weight and how much you consume to maintain weight. I realize that what you do may not work for me or vice versa. It's kind of like the weighing daily, weekly, monthly question ... I'm just curious to see where I fall in the pack.

THANK YOU!
    Glenda
    In order to lose weight I go by the recommended calories of MFP. I stay right around 1200 cal +200/400 exercise calories. When I am maintaining I don't count calories. I would guess it would be around 2500.
    Calories are tricky! It is best to have a scale to weigh your food. 3 ounces could very well be 6 ounces and that is twice as much as you should be eating. I also think that everyone processes food differently. That's where metabolism comes in. I would suggest never eating below 1200 cal unless you are doing a 5:2 fast. That is where you eat 500-600 cal on two days out of the week. But then you're not supposed to count calories the other five days. Some people like to eat their exercise calories back. It is recommended to eat at least half of them back. Exercise calories are suspicious as well depending on amount of effort which can usually be measured with the heart rate monitor. There are a couple of great threads on here that will tell you how many calories you should be consuming.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach#latest

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants#latest

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,207 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Glenda - Your basal metabolic rate almost entirely depends (unless you have an endocrinal problem) on your weight and build. Unfortunately a big, muscular man is burning up loads of calories doing nothing! A short, skinny woman can hardly eat anything if she doesn't exercise or she will put on weight. The MFP calculation is the best way to go.
    I have always eaten back all my exercise calories and lost 57 lbs that way, but now I am at maintenance I find I have to leave 100 of them on the table for the scales to move downwards. I use a base of 1200 and exercise 600, so, at the moment I am eating 1700. I am very happy with that and enjoy my food. :D I am 5'5" and I am currently 142 and a half. I would love to lose 2 and a half,. I am aiming for half a pound this coming week. I am 67.
    As you age you lose muscle bulk. By exercising vigorously you can help the muscle that remains to be more efficient . Muscle burns more calories than fat, which is not good news for us old ladies. Exercise is the only answer. Exercise is a miracle pill. :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,541 Member
    Options
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Got a little behind. Think I am caught up now. Some of you are cracking me up today! Laughter is good medicine.

Have a great day!

Toni in Tennessee
  • grward612
    grward612 Posts: 72 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I am 5'5" and I am currently 142 and a half. I would love to lose 2 and a half,. I am aiming for half a pound this coming week. I am 67.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx

Thank you Heather! You are very close to my same height and weight. I'm also 5.5 but weigh 146.2 (as of this morning). I'm an ex-gym rat/group fitness instructor and have done all the mad-calculations and tracking of macros, calories, exercises, etc. I got away from that these past several years unfortunately. It just seems that when I hit the 50s bracket that my metabolism died on me ... thinking I should have a funeral along with calling hours!

Mary from MN, you are the best! You always have great feedback that is full of a ton of information! You are rocking it! Thank you for being a great MFP friend!

Glenda
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,112 Member
    Options
    Glenda- Thanks! You will find that there is a lot of information, motivation, and inspiration on this thread. I love coming here. I am glad that you have joined us and are my friend!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,342 Member
    Options
    Did a hour of Ripped Circuit Speed 20 DVD. I'd forgotten how much I liked this DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Body Pump DVD. The last time I did one, the sound cut out on me, but when I played it at home, it didn't cut out on me. I'm going to try using a different plug this time. Don't know why that would affect it, but it can't hurt to try.

We have a Newcomer general meeting.

barbie - great news about Jake. Maybe he can go with you while you're walking the dogs?

Gloria - great choice at Denny's. Say, can you get that egg white omlet any time of the day? I like to go to Denny's when we're in FL, I usually get the senior chicken or fish. But the egg white omlet might be good, too. I just didn't think you could get that in the evening.

KJ - yea for you surviving that cookie

Barb - you're on your way!

Had the Newcomer general meeting today then went to Petsmart to buy cat food. Tonight is ceramics. Just got our dinner ready and have it in the refrig so all I have to do is warm it up

Lanette - I started doing yoga with a class. It really helped to be sure that I'm doing the poses correctly. At home I may do a DVD but I'll go back to a class. I remember one class where I didn't realize it but I was turning my knee inward. It wasn't until the instructor pointed it out to me that I noticed it.

canookie - LOL a barking parrot

kschmidt - there are many ladies on this thread who have had WLS and they can tell you about their experiences

Mary - Vince says that that cake tastes like a creamsicle

Michele in NC
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    jmkmomm wrote: »

DrKatie, I would have said that some school would be grateful to get your math books but math these days just isn't the same. When I was in high school, I was the only one of the older girls that had had 'new math' and so was the only one who could help my younger brother Paul with his math. I don't know why the youngest brother didn't help him. He went on to build nuclear subs and was pretty smart in every subject. I guess that was because he spent every waking moment in the bathroom reading every book he could including the encyclopedias. Anyway, those were the days of the Chef Boyardee entrees. We made a lot of their pizzas. Paul thought I made the best. So he asked me to marry him.

Joyce in very windy Indiana

Joyce, my books that I am donating are not textbooks. They are books about teaching math, and they are all based on the latest philosophy. That's one reason I want to donate them now, while they are still current. They have titles like "using math to teach social justice", "strategies for engaging students", " how students learn math", "cooperative learning in the math classroom", well, you get the idea. They will be put to good use.
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Got a little behind. Think I am caught up now. Some of you are cracking me up today! Laughter is good medicine.

Have a great day!

Toni in Tennessee

I am proud of you for declaring you have a little behind. :wink: You brave thing you! giggles and leaves......
    Becca
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I can't remember who it is in Alaska, Marnie? maybe who works in a clinical situation that had all the food brought in. I can totally relate. When we had nurses week at the hospital we would be served meals every day, if we were high census and really over worked, meals brought it. And Christmas time, oh my. All the different doctor's offices or even the company that made the beds and bedside equipment we used sent cookies, candy galore. Plus staff members would bring in because they made to much at home. It is very easy to go overboard.

Well my blood count came back and I am baffled. A normal Hgb, hemoglobin, should be around 12-14, mine is around 10. So yesterday it was 8.7. The day I went home from the hospital after I had had a unit of blood it was 8.1. I had a follow up appointment with the GI office today and she said I shouldn't be worried. She said it was on an upward trend. Well it is but I expected it to be a bit more upward. 3 days after I got home from the first nose bleed it was 10.1. So why 13 days after going home after the second nose bleed it is only 8.7?????? I sure am glad I have my physical tomorrow so he can answer some questions. This was the same doctor who treated Charlie for his ulcerative colitis and hadn't seen him since his ileostomy. She was glad to see him looking so healthy and 20 pounds heavier. She did say that even though his colon is gone and no more ulcerative colitis, he does have increased chance of having this particular liver problem and wanted to make a yearly appointment to see him. We are going to see if our family doc can do the yearly blood test of which I can't remember. I do have some colon problems, I don't know if they are from MS, I asked neurologist and she said no, or what but I have what I call 'bowel days'. And when I get the urge to go, I gotta go. I have had that for a long time. So since I can't have any kind of colonoscopy until after I am off my Effient, I now have an appointment with her in October.

Margaret asked about rolling my feet on fruit juice cans for plantar fasciatis. I don't think that was suggested but as long as I have my orthotics in, my feet are fine. I do wear regular flats or dress boots to church without them but that is only for a few hours.

Floyd pup still has the same exact look in his eyes! Such a cutie.

Joyce, Indiana
  • clarebare60
    clarebare60 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    SW Washington State Thank you for your concern about the kidney cyst. I think the best I can hope for it is doesn’t need to be removed. The doctor said there’s only a 20% chance of the cyst being malignant but given how invasive it is currently he wouldn’t be surprised if it was malignant. Its not terribly scary but I’m going through the process of breast cancer right now and it was just “one more thing” to think about. It really was great to get back to my routine yoga. Today I will do the same.

Michele in NC Thank you for your concern. I’m having good days with bad moments. I guess I was writing in a bad moment. My word this year is ‘grateful’. I’m grateful it thus far has NOT been diagnosed as cancer and even it if is it is slow growing and won’t metastasize. I’m grateful I have health care here that will cover it if my kidney does have to be removed. I’m grateful I’m getting back to my normal routine. I’m grateful to have people who care.

Heather UK Yes the worse case scenario is that it is cancer (I’m sorry if it sounded like it had already been diagnosed as such) and my kidney will have to be removed. My other kidney is fully functional and very healthy so it’s not that big of a deal. I guess I was down because I’m going through the breast cancer treatment process. And one more thing kinda sent me into a spin. Hopefully my posts will start reflecting achievements and happy vibes not just the physical challenges I’m going through currently.

Margaretturk Thank you for your prayers and hugs. Like I have stated above I have not yet been diagnosed with kidney cancer and the type I would have is not life threatening. I’m sending comforting healing energy for your DH and you. Please let us know how he is progressing and if there is anything else we can do to support you and him.

Jana in VA I apologise I wasn’t clear that my cyst has yet to be diagnosed. Thank you for the well wishes. I will accept them for my breast cancer though you have previously offered them. Margaret needs our support for her DH.

So far with the community I have been concentrating on me and your responses to me. I’m going to try to turn that around to where I can hear you and know more about your journeys. I’m very excited about the prospect because giving support is as important (maybe even more so) as receiving it. It also gives me an opportunity to learn. Again thank you for being so open and sharing so much.