Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is the 'fat acceptance' movement a good thing?

Options

Replies

• leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Relser wrote: »
    I think it's good in the fact that it promotes not being a total *kitten* to someone because they are fat. I mean really, how does someone else being fat affect me?
    Well this actually happened to me at Disney World. A female and her kids got on the transportation bus. Myself and my brother in law, were both sitting and we both got up to let the female sit down. She chose his spot (which was beside me). I was at the end of the seat (bench seats) and she sat to my left. Every time the bus driver stopped she slid into me and pressed me into the end of the bench. And she was well over 250lbs. Not discriminating, but it was an uncomfortable ride all the way to our hotel.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Heehee I've had broad shouldered men (my husband is one of them) and man spread men sitting next to me and I'm not a fan of stranger man thigh all over me (most times):).

Not saying you aren't being correct and honest about uncomfortableness but it happens sometimes even with non obese folks.
  • carolyn000000
    carolyn000000 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I have been very thin (128lbs and 5'8) and very fat (over 210 lbs.) Currently I am at 172; my highest weight in 6 years. I was hanging around 160 up until the holidays. I can still pull off a size 10 because I am very toned. At 128 there were people who hated me. Fat people can be downright nasty to skinny people. At 210, I felt more accepted by most people, but there were those who clearly thought I was disgusting. My own father said an overweight woman ( meaning me) is worthless, so I better lose it.

Currently, I work with mostly obese people. They leave me out of their lunch plans when they go to McDonalds with their coupons and then go eat in a different room and leave me to eat by myself. At first I thought, "That's not very nice, I am not judging them." But after I thought about it, I had to admit I do judge them. I mean it is hard not to think when you see an obese person eating a big mac and fries with a coke, "What are you doing!" But I would never in anyway let on that I think that. Basically, they make me uncomfortable, and I make them uncomfortable. So I will just have to be lonely at work. I wonder if that is why I subconsciously gained so much over the holidays.

Everyone wants to fit in. Sometimes I find myself eating the junk at work and minimizing my healthy lifestyle. I pretend I am going to go get a piece of cake "later". I guess I just need to do what I need to do and forget about what every one else thinks.

• Roaringgael
    Roaringgael Posts: 339 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    The only thing I can say is if it was easy to be thin, we'd all be thin.
    Of course we would.
    My issue with food goes back most of my life, its an emotional one and now that I am post menopause, I can see it was a very hormonal one (it changed after menopause, got easier).
    I read on a thread here once, "Its hard to lose weight, its hard to be healthy, its hard to be fat, its hard to be unhealthy - choose your hard". Its this for me.
    At 54 I blew my L knee, wear and tear from obesity and a family history of osteo-arthritis. I decided to take control of my health as best I could. I've never looked back.
    People want to fit in, if someone is obese its their problem. Accept them.
    The governments actively want us to practice healthy behaviours because it saves them money on health care - statistically. You can be overweight/obese and healthy when you are young. I don't think it lasts past 50 though.

In Australia *kitten* junk food is ridiculously cheap, the food industry encourages people to up size and eat too much, poor people often find it easier to eat this kind of food due to circumstance than to 'shop around' for nutritious food.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Legislation has been attempted to be introduced in one Canadian province along the lines of the granting the obese special privilege.

Which one? And what are they trying to do? Do you have a link to this (please)? I'm curious.

Thanks.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    I have been very thin (128lbs and 5'8) and very fat (over 210 lbs.) Currently I am at 172; my highest weight in 6 years. I was hanging around 160 up until the holidays. I can still pull off a size 10 because I am very toned. At 128 there were people who hated me. Fat people can be downright nasty to skinny people. At 210, I felt more accepted by most people, but there were those who clearly thought I was disgusting. My own father said an overweight woman ( meaning me) is worthless, so I better lose it.

Currently, I work with mostly obese people. They leave me out of their lunch plans when they go to McDonalds with their coupons and then go eat in a different room and leave me to eat by myself. At first I thought, "That's not very nice, I am not judging them." But after I thought about it, I had to admit I do judge them. I mean it is hard not to think when you see an obese person eating a big mac and fries with a coke, "What are you doing!" But I would never in anyway let on that I think that. Basically, they make me uncomfortable, and I make them uncomfortable. So I will just have to be lonely at work. I wonder if that is why I subconsciously gained so much over the holidays.

Everyone wants to fit in. Sometimes I find myself eating the junk at work and minimizing my healthy lifestyle. I pretend I am going to go get a piece of cake "later". I guess I just need to do what I need to do and forget about what every one else thinks.

This was me exactly. When I was surrounded by obese people at work (probably 70%) I felt like the outcast. Sitting at my desk eating my salad. One time they sent a sheet around for pizza orders and skipped me entirely. I eat pizza. I got over it. As far as cake and goodies, I would just skip them but people still will bring you a piece because "you just have to try it". I'd graciously accept and then toss it out when nobody was looking. Should I have said NO outright? Probably, but nobody wants to hurt someone's feelings.

Keep doing the right thing for yourself and find acceptance elsewhere.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I do get the impression though that a lot of the Fat Acceptance movement is pushed by manufacturers so that their food items continue to sell. Take a look at half of the crap they sell in stores, if they reduced sugar, carbs, or used less sodium or better ingredients the calorie content of their crap food would be much less. Don't get me wrong, I love junk food like everyone else, but if there's a healthier option I've learned to choose it because I no longer want to be fat. If, however, I accepted myself as a fat person I would have no issue whatsoever filling my cart with chips, sweet snacks, and crappy prepared food on every trip to the store like I used to do. Now I hit the meat isle, pick up what I need, then I hit the veggie isle, maybe the peanut butter, and frozen vegetables, and dairy. I'm then 90% done with my shopping. I may pick up bottled water, the occasional pack of diet soda, but I skip the chip isle, just about everything in the cereal isle, and maybe hit the canned goods on the way out but I limit what I buy based on sodium content. 65% of the items in my local grocery store are of no interest to me these days. I think that's motivation enough to fund some campaigns for Fat Acceptance. ;) Just my humble opinion, I'll go back to wearing my tinfoil hat now...
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Legislation has been attempted to be introduced in one Canadian province along the lines of the granting the obese special privilege.

Which one? And what are they trying to do? Do you have a link to this (please)? I'm curious.

Thanks.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/manitoba-liberals-weight-human-rights-1.3864788
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options

Thanks.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/manitoba-liberals-weight-human-rights-1.3864788

Do they not realize surgery is a lot riskier when there patient is obese? There are actual medical reasons- X rays are not as clear, there is more tissue to have to slice through, organs are 'fatty'. Weirdly enough just because someone tells you 'no' doesn't mean they are doing it just to be mean.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Thanks.

From the article: "Lindsey Mazur, a dietitian, said some overweight people she works with are being denied surgeries and other care unless they lose weight first. In the workforce, some people are losing out on promotions because of their weight, she added."

This sounds like they want equal access to medical treatment and job opportunities, not special privileges.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    My take is that it's important to treat people, as people.

For me, and I may have a skewed perspective, Fat Acceptance should be about accepting that people who are fat are still deserving of your time, interest, love, club, fashion, etc. You should not be excluding anyone. The error here is thinking that Fat Acceptance is the same as "Not Healthy" acceptance. I think everyone should try their best to be healthy, for so many reasons.

Although it IS a factor, fat does not necessarily equate to unhealthy. Fat is itself a wishy washy term that has no bearing on reality, because everyone has their own definition. At 19 a size 3 is often considered fat. Every pound on a scale is not a 'fat' pound.

It would be great if we could extricate the term fat from the implications and social stereotypes. We "have" fat - not we "are" fat. I also have muscle, and feelings, and problems and struggles and successes - yup - just like everyone else.

We are all human, and we have rights as humans.
    To me Fat acceptance is simply an effort to remind us that we should all be included.

I completely agree with this, the problem (as has been described in-depth in this thread and others) is that the fat acceptance movement has been hijacked/is being pushed by people who are the exact opposite of this, i.e. by people who will shame you for being thin or for trying to lose weight.
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    When the time comes, only God our lord and savior will judge me! o:)
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    fattymcrunnerpants Posts: 311 Member
    Options

Thanks.

From the article: "Lindsey Mazur, a dietitian, said some overweight people she works with are being denied surgeries and other care unless they lose weight first. In the workforce, some people are losing out on promotions because of their weight, she added."

This sounds like they want equal access to medical treatment and job opportunities, not special privileges.

Agreed, "special treatment", to me, indicates options that aren't or shouldn't be available to everyone. Access to medical care, and equal treatment in job performance is not special treatment.

I'll never in my life forget what a surgeon said to me after removing part of my thyroid. I had gone to him as I had a tumor growing on it. While I was in the hospital he told me that he hadn't made an effort to hide the large scar because I was "Fat, unattractive and didn't deserve to have the scar hidden". Surgeons USEUALLY try to cut along the neck folds to hide an obvious scar. I made a complaint to the hospital board but since I'm not a protected class nothing happened. That kind of behavior is not OK at all.

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I do get the impression though that a lot of the Fat Acceptance movement is pushed by manufacturers so that their food items continue to sell. Take a look at half of the crap they sell in stores, if they reduced sugar, carbs, or used less sodium or better ingredients the calorie content of their crap food would be much less. Don't get me wrong, I love junk food like everyone else, but if there's a healthier option I've learned to choose it because I no longer want to be fat. If, however, I accepted myself as a fat person I would have no issue whatsoever filling my cart with chips, sweet snacks, and crappy prepared food on every trip to the store like I used to do. Now I hit the meat isle, pick up what I need, then I hit the veggie isle, maybe the peanut butter, and frozen vegetables, and dairy. I'm then 90% done with my shopping. I may pick up bottled water, the occasional pack of diet soda, but I skip the chip isle, just about everything in the cereal isle, and maybe hit the canned goods on the way out but I limit what I buy based on sodium content. 65% of the items in my local grocery store are of no interest to me these days. I think that's motivation enough to fund some campaigns for Fat Acceptance. ;) Just my humble opinion, I'll go back to wearing my tinfoil hat now...

This is essentially the plot of the movie "Branded". Strange movie, but a must see for anyone in marketing.