Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

So. What's the worst weight loss myth?

Options

Replies

• dfc4
    dfc4 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    "Just drink some water. You may not be hungry...you may actually be thirsty. The brain often confuses the two."
    Uh-huh, yeah right.

I tried that but with Red Wine (not Water) next morning i woke up more thursty than ever and my head was killing me
  • dfc4
    Options
    mjaykup wrote: »
    That if you do handstands for 30 mins a day you love handles dissapear

Lmfao xD I've actually never heard of that one before! That is hilarious!!!

Yeah they move down toward the floor and when you stand up normally again your head is really fat.
    it wears off after about 10 minutes and you have the love handles back where they belong
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    "Just drink some water. You may not be hungry...you may actually be thirsty. The brain often confuses the two."
    Uh-huh, yeah right.

Actually, when I first started I couldn't tell the difference between hunger and thirst. I may be an outlier or this may be common among obese people, but I didn't drink water (like at all) and overall I didn't drink a lot of fluids except for maybe a drink with a meal. It was rare that I would drink anything in between meals and if I did it was a soda or some sugary drink.

I started out by trying to drink water first to see if I was really hungry before eating a snack and found often I wasn't hungry or didn't feel inclined to eat after having a drink of water. *shrugs* YMMV. I also found a lot of times where I felt hungry I was actually just bored.
  • dfc4
    Options
    dfc4 wrote: »
    You burn more calories sunbathing than you do in the sauna.

If you do 10 push ups three times a day ...you can have a candy bar in the evening and still lose weight (this one actually works...but only if the candy bar is your only meal of the day)

Your *only* meal of the day? You can have a candy bar and still be in a calorie deficit, pushups or no.

To answer the OP - The worst weight loss myth I've heard is that you can't lose weight if you eat a candy bar. :lol:

I was actually "NOT" being serious :)
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

If you do 10 push ups three times a day ...you can have a candy bar in the evening and still lose weight (this one actually works...but only if the candy bar is your only meal of the day)

Your *only* meal of the day? You can have a candy bar and still be in a calorie deficit, pushups or no.

To answer the OP - The worst weight loss myth I've heard is that you can't lose weight if you eat a candy bar. :lol:

I was actually "NOT" being serious :)

Yay, I can rest easy now! :smiley:
  • andrea4736
    andrea4736 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    That the words you use to describe how you are losing weight - despite what you mean when you say them - have an effect on if you will succeed or not.

Example. If I mean exactly the same thing as "Life style change" as I do by the word "diet" and everyone else thinks that one word choice will mean I will fail.

In the end, only your mindset matters, not your word choice.

And also - that if you eat "healthy" you will lose weight - regardless of if you eat too much. This is the one that I see affecting people the most in my social life.

If I hear lifestyle change one more time I may smack somebody! What exactly do you think a change to your diet is??? Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,105 Member
    Options

Sure, now I want a candy bar.
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Carbs are bad, Fat is bad, and Organic is 'better' for you....... LOLZ (don't fall for gimmick marketing.....)
  • fr3smyl
    fr3smyl Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

I pushed through the digust and read this. No no no...why why why would someone do this?

• earthnut
    earthnut Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode and meal timing! But actually starvation mode really does happen for those under 12% body fat as proved by the Army Doctors in a study that only the military can do because they literally own your butt. haha.

I'd love to see that study.
  • yogagirlT
    yogagirlT Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Any kind of insane fad diet that involves eating one magic cure-all food or shake and that only young, flexible, perfectly in shape people take yoga classes and dance Zumba [or insert fitness class or activity]. You always want to check with your doctor before starting any exercise program but do not let fear stop you from moving and having fun--no matter what class or physical activity you do! :)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

Ew, ew, ew... Ew!
    Uh-huh, yeah right.

... Huh. This one is fairly true for me.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    fr3smyl wrote: »

I pushed through the digust and read this. No no no...why why why would someone do this?

I don't know.... Because it was there?

Here's one even worse, a perfectly idiotic piece of real-life childhood trauma fertilizer:
    "You're as fat as the Campbell's Soup Girl, you need an enema."
    1970s midwestern farm mom wisdom. :s
This discussion has been closed.