No sugars and no carbs

Options

Replies

• hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Just to play devil's avocado - where do legumes fit in with this and fibre? Also that important issue that hasn't really been mentioned a lot: exercise. GP's aren't known for their prowess in terms of dietary knowledge. They're called 'general practitioners' for exactly that reason. I'd be far more inclined to ask for a referral to a dietitian (not nutritionist) to really have a more in-depth look at your diet and how exactly you can make the weight loss manageable and a lifestyle change rather than to 'fix' a problem. Lifestyle change is sustainable whereas crash dieting or diet plans which are really restrictive just set you up to fail. They're not sustainable in the long term and in some cases can do more harm than good. It's all well and good saying that you can eat as much meat as you like - is this really a good thing? If we look at the global trends and statistics, the countries with the highest red meat consumption per capita also proportionately have the highest rates of colorectal cancers. In this sense, it can be a case of trading in one health complaint in lieu of another.

Protein can be found in many many plant sources. Edamame beans are particularly high in protein, and if you like tofu, that's another great source. I'm not a vegetarian but am mindful of the concept of moderation. It's far more reasonable to eliminate 'added' or refined sugars in your diet as has been mentioned. Regardless of composition, if you eat in a calorie deficit, you will lose weight. You need to work out the deficit that gives you a steady progressive weight loss that is sustainable and also enjoyable. Bear in mind exercising brings the added benefits of speeding up metabolism, improving overall health - plus you can eat back your exercise calories. I'd do a bit more reading and don't be afraid to question your GP. Good luck!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    kendahlj wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Thank you for some insightful tips and the website I will look at that Jeanieneni. This is the diet my doctor put me on.
    The paper he gave me states
    1. If it tastes sweet it has sugar examples.... orange juice, fruits , all diet sodas and crystal light. No Splenda, equal or sugar twins.
    2. If food is off white or white in color it's most likely starch ( few exceptions). Example no bread, pizza, cake, pies, pastas, rice and potatoes.

Rule of thumb white or sweet you can not have it

Meat- all I want: beef, pork, poultry, seafood, rabbit as much as I want.

Veggies- you can eat all the fresh or frozen veggies excluding corn, beans, and peas. Green beans are ok

Garden salads- as much as I like. Dressing only oil and vinegar, Italian and Caesar.

Eggs- you can eat all the eggs, bacon and sausage you like

Last but not least lots of water at least half a gallon a day which is easy for me I love water.

Please don't judge what my doctor put me on. Some of you had some lovely comments. This is not an insane diet it is just what my doctor put me on. All I asked for was for help from those who were on a similar diet. Maybe I should have written the whole chart like this from the beginning. I do not have sugar issues This is what he said would help me loose the best and I just said I would try it. I'm 2 weeks in and have lost 5.4lbs without being 100% on this diet and lost an inch in the waist and an inch in the hips.

I think this sounds great! Ignore the naysayers. If you stick to this, you'll lose weight and feel great. Good luck!!

Goodness knows it's important to get those pesky lentils and fruit out of everyone's diet. They are such a scourge!

Why are you projecting false information? Nothing in her post said she couldn't eat lentils. In fact, she said she could eat beans (lumping them with vegetables). I don't necessarily think you need to cut out fruit, but if you're trying to lose weight you can safely eliminate it from your diet and introduce it slowly later if you want. You can get the vitamins and nutrients you get from fruit elsewhere.

OP's "plan" specifically excludes beans:
    Veggies- you can eat all the fresh or frozen veggies excluding corn, beans, and peas.
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    scibba wrote: »

For the person who said "This site is based on calorie reduction...with guidelines on nutritional macros (fiber, sodium, protein, etc.) to aim for...and promoting it in a SUSTAINABLE way." THAT Is a crazy diet.

calorie reduction is impossible to sustain. If it wasn't - jenny craig, weight watchers and all of those other 'calorie counting' diets would not be making money and getting repeat clients. Why? We all know, once you go back to eating all those calories, you gain the weight back.

I just wanted to address the last two paragraphs. I'm curious how you perceive eating a balanced diet with a variety of foods in a calorie deficit and the recommendation to eat in a way that is sustainable as a crazy diet? Yet cutting out entire food groups to help achieve that calorie deficit is not?

Also, to the final paragraph: A calorie deficit is not something that is meant to be sustained forever. What is advocated for on this site is to eat at an appropriate calorie deficit based on your goals (how much to lose and a reasonable rate of loss). As a user gets closer to goal, the deficit is reduced and weight loss is slowed to 0.5 lb/week in order to help ease the transition into maintenance at an appropriate calorie level for the new weight.

Of course if you go back to eating the same number of calories as before, i.e. an energy surplus, you would gain the weight back. That also goes for people who cut out foods in order to lose weight, if they go back to eating the same as before in a calorie surplus, they too would gain the weight back. Certainly there are a lot of people who are successful at losing but not at maintaining - but in my opinion, the more dramatic the approach during weight loss, the lower the chances for long term success. For me, something that involves the word NO anything would be extreme and less likely to be sustainable even during the weight loss process. NSNG would be something that I think is way more restrictive than what the majority of people need to undertake in order to be successful.

what 'entire food group' exactly did I cut out?
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Thank you for some insightful tips and the website I will look at that Jeanieneni. This is the diet my doctor put me on.
    1. If it tastes sweet it has sugar examples.... orange juice, fruits , all diet sodas and crystal light. No Splenda, equal or sugar twins.
    2. If food is off white or white in color it's most likely starch ( few exceptions). Example no bread, pizza, cake, pies, pastas, rice and potatoes.

Veggies- you can eat all the fresh or frozen veggies excluding corn, beans, and peas. Green beans are ok

Garden salads- as much as I like. Dressing only oil and vinegar, Italian and Caesar.

Last but not least lots of water at least half a gallon a day which is easy for me I love water.

Please don't judge what my doctor put me on. Some of you had some lovely comments. This is not an insane diet it is just what my doctor put me on. All I asked for was for help from those who were on a similar diet. Maybe I should have written the whole chart like this from the beginning. I do not have sugar issues This is what he said would help me loose the best and I just said I would try it. I'm 2 weeks in and have lost 5.4lbs without being 100% on this diet and lost an inch in the waist and an inch in the hips.

I think this sounds great! Ignore the naysayers. If you stick to this, you'll lose weight and feel great. Good luck!!

Not necessarily. If she stays on it as the doctor explained the diet to her without a set calorie goal, she may or may not be successful. Only time will tell.

There has to be a reasonable amount of common sense with any new way of eating. The doctor basically suggested she cut out sweets and starchy foods. If she does this and eats reasonably the things on the list that are "okay," she'll feel great and lose weight. If it doesn't work in helping her lose weight (not every way of eating works for everyone), then no harm done and she can try something else. It's certainly not going to hurt her, like people on this thread have suggested.

I agree. I was one of them.
  • kendahlj
    kendahlj Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

Goodness knows it's important to get those pesky lentils and fruit out of everyone's diet. They are such a scourge!

Why are you projecting false information? Nothing in her post said she couldn't eat lentils. In fact, she said she could eat beans (lumping them with vegetables). I don't necessarily think you need to cut out fruit, but if you're trying to lose weight you can safely eliminate it from your diet and introduce it slowly later if you want. You can get the vitamins and nutrients you get from fruit elsewhere.

OP's "plan" specifically excludes beans:
    Veggies- you can eat all the fresh or frozen veggies excluding corn, beans, and peas.

My bad...I read it as including, not excluding. Yeah, I think beans are fine. I understand the reasoning behind not eating corn and peas but I don't much care for that recommendation either, unless you just don't love those veggies.
  • microwoman999
    microwoman999 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I do agree if things don't work out than I switch up my plan. The ultimate goal is to get healthy and loose weight. So my doctor gave me something to work at. Right or wrong what he told me I am here to get more help as I felt a bit lost. I don't see the problem with that. That being said I joined a low carb group ( just waiting for the approval) once I'm in I'll probably learn a lot more about this diet. I still thank all of you for your help and guidance. Again I'm here to learn that's why I asked. Please continue
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    My dietician has put me on something similar. I'm only allowed a total of 105g of carbs a day. And they have to be consumed in small 15g increments except lunch which is 30g.
    It is because I am insulin resistant, and have hypothyroidism. Making it very difficult to lose weight, even on a calorie deficit
    I don't actually think that's similar at all. It sounds reasonable and like you've been given direction.

Also, unlike Firesprite93, the OP does not have a medical reason to reduce carbs. @Firesprite93 - I'm glad you are working with a dietitian :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    I questioned my doctor about the bacon because he said no fried food and I also know it's fat is high.

Pigs do not contain sugar.

But the babies are so sweet!

Lm5JL.gif

I'm never eating bacon again! :sad:

paul-mccartney-quote3.jpg
  • kendahlj
    kendahlj Posts: 243 Member
    Options

Why are you projecting false information? Nothing in her post said she couldn't eat lentils. In fact, she said she could eat beans (lumping them with vegetables).

You misread it. It said she CANNOT eat beans (assuming she might consider them vegetables, I guess, so explaining those were not okay). Yes, I'm assuming beans include lentils.
    I don't necessarily think you need to cut out fruit, but if you're trying to lose weight you can safely eliminate it from your diet and introduce it slowly later if you want. You can get the vitamins and nutrients you get from fruit elsewhere.

You can safely do lots of things that aren't necessarily advisable to do. My problem with the plan (which I think is rather insulting in that it gives a list of rules with no good reason for them) is not that I think it's unsafe. It's that I think it doesn't take into consideration what would be sustainable for OP, give her tools to make a diet that works with what is sustainable and her own preferences, and that a diet that seems based on the idea that carbs are (mostly) bad and unlimited meat (including sausage and bacon) isn't truly health-conscious at all. And cutting out reasonably nutritious whole foods (I'd include grains and tubers here, as well as fruit) is not a good starting plan absent the context of a decision to go low carb and a carb goal to aim at, IMO.

Cutting out legumes (one of the best, if not the best, non animal sources of protein) I think is particular irresponsible without those things.

Could one ultimately decide that a similar diet is the best one for them personally, with an understanding of the reasons and why they are making certain trade-offs? Sure, although I certainly don't think that makes it a good choice for everyone needing to lose weight.

Telling OP this is simply THE way to lose weight and will result in spot reduction and that the sugar in bacon is "natural" and that there is sugar in diet drinks isn't accurate information. (There may be reasons to say you think sugar in bacon is fine and artificial sweetener should be avoided, but giving false information always raises my hackles. I honestly don't understand why you would even consider defending it.)

Yes, I did read it wrong. I thought she could eat those things (corn, beans, peas).

I understand what you're saying. I don't know the particulars, but the OP went to the doctor for something. Perhaps obesity, or some other health problem where obesity is contributing factor. Her weight was a concern enough that the doctor gave her something that would help her lose weight, thus improving her health overall. He There's probably more to it than that, but that's the gist. Probably didn't say "this is THE only way." We can't judge what's sustainable for her long term, but in the short term if she sticks to his recommendations, she'll lose weight and feel better. Then maybe she wants to see someone specialized (like a registered dietitian) who can help her fine tune the rough suggestions her doctor gave her.

I just don't think it's very helpful for a bunch of us here, instead of providing what she really asked for which was some recipes or encouragement from others who were eating similarly, to jump on her and tell her that her doctor is an idiot giving her a bunch of false information and that she's better off ignoring him and listening to all of us here who know better.

I also agree with the poster above that exercise hasn't really been discussed much. I think it's way more irresponsible to not prescribe getting more exercise if you're trying to help a patient lose weight to improve health. My personal opinion is that no diet will succeed without an element of exercise and if you're losing weight to get healthy (and not just look better), exercise should be a priority.
  • onward1
    onward1 Posts: 386 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    psuLemon wrote:
    Personally, I found restriction of foods I enjoy to not be beneficial. I found it caused me to binge and overeat.

^This. There's really no need to torture yourself, I know this from experience, slow and steady wins the race. Weigh and log everything, that REALLY works. I do keep an eye on carbs, but I don't go crazy low because I find my body needs them to keep me fueled. It's got to be something sustainable, not a "diet". Best of luck to you OP, you've come to the right place to start. As for your doctor, I'd find another one.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    OP,

Not really keto, but my two favorite recipes places are:

www.theproteinchef.co
    www.mccormick.com

You can also look in the MFP recipe subforum.
  • jazzyspender
    jazzyspender Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hello @microwoman999 ! My husband did a low carb diet years ago and had great success. He has done it again over the past 12 years, but never was able to stick with it like the first time. It's really restrictive and tough, however it's not impossible. He will eat most green veggies and stays away from the more colorful ones (a pretty remedial approach to looking for sugar), he doesn't like veggies so usually doesn't have a hard time with just sticking to the ones with lowest sugar. He doesn't like fruit AT ALL, and wouldn't eat that regardless of the diet. He does eat a lot of chicken, seafood and eggs; I'd say those are his staples! Unlike you he will do the "fake" sweeteners like Splenda (diet coke is another staple) and Quest or Atkins bars. This makes it a lot easier for him to get through the day if he gets hungry in between meals or if he doesn't have time to make breakfast. He also likes the low carb tortillas and Dream Fields low carb pasta...these things help him manage. Maybe you can incorporate some of these as a once-in-awhile treat when you are maintaining. Good luck to you :)

PS - best results were teamed with regular exercise - nothing too crazy, but a daily walk, sit ups, etc.
  • jmp463
    jmp463 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I say go for it. I did that in Oct - I have lost a bunch of weight - I never feel hungry and I feel great. Not to mention I have eaten more vegetables than I ever have. No lack of energy - no headaches - no bloat - no upset stomachs - I just feel good. If you can handle it great - if you cant go back to counting calories - either way you win. Everything will work - you just have to find what is best for you.