Blood Type Diet Buddies?

Hi! I'm blood type A and have been following the BTD for several years. It's the times when I get lazy and/or sloppy and eat "avoid" foods that I gain weight, become sluggish, sick, etc. I have lots of great recipes and good info on the Blood Type Diet. Looking for buddies to share with.

Replies

• stjohn8us
    stjohn8us Posts: 12 Member
    Hey you, what's a woo? :-) The BTD makes perfect sense. Why else would some people fail on a particular diet while others succeed? My roommate can't go a few days without beef. I'm nearly a vegetarian. Turns out her blood is type O (eat meat! eat meat!) and mine is type A (vegetarians rock). In the end, b, it's what works for you, yes?
  • EricaCraigie
    EricaCraigie Posts: 1,396 Member
    Hm. I'd never heard of it but an interesting concept!
  • KiwiAlexP
    KiwiAlexP Posts: 185 Member
    Looks like I should be trying an essentially paleo eating plan - not going to happen. The only thing interesting was that this type of diet says my blood type leads to hypothyroidism which I do have, unfortunately in the same paragraph it says potatoes will give me arthritis.
  • DietVanillaCoke
    DietVanillaCoke Posts: 259 Member
    edited January 2017
    stjohn8us wrote: »
    Hey you, what's a woo? :-) The BTD makes perfect sense. Why else would some people fail on a particular diet while others succeed? My roommate can't go a few days without beef. I'm nearly a vegetarian. Turns out her blood is type O (eat meat! eat meat!) and mine is type A (vegetarians rock). In the end, b, it's what works for you, yes?

I'm O neg and was vegan for most of my life. I hate red meat and eat mainly salmon now. Just because a friend follows that trend and enjoys meat doesn't make it fact for all. =/ There's too much information that proves it's all a lie. It would be like saying all horoscopes are true because during December you were concerned about money, but we all know they're just vague and they most likely wrote that because everyone is concerned about money around xmas time.

The only truth to the diet is that genetics can play part in what you can and can't eat. My parents both have issues with milk, I also have issue with milk but that doesn't mean their blood types are the cause.

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0084749

https://www.utoronto.ca/news/popular-diet-theory-debunked

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/01/140115172246.htm

However if you're doing a diet you enjoy, then keep doing it. =)
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member

She likes beef.
    You like vegetables.

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member

People fail on a particular diet because it does not fit their preferences, personality, hunger responses...etc. It's simply because people are different, and it has little to do with their blood type. I'm a type O and I very rarely eat beef because I don't like most kinds of meat. I like vegetables, grains, legumes and most things on the "not allowed" list and I hate most things on the "allowed" list. I have lost more than 100 pounds so far on a diet that leans heavily towards a vegetarian diet because that's what I like.

Any diet that restricts variety has a potential to restrict calories and that's why weight loss happens. If you are happy eating the way you are currently eating then great! It's just good to know that if you ever feel like having something from the "not allowed" list, you can. You just need to make sure the calories add up to a number than is lower than what your body burned that day.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    If it works for you,carry on! :smile:
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member

I agree that the OP should definitely carry on eating the way she's eating if it works for her.

But know that it has absolutely *nothing* to do with blood type, and everything to do with eating less than you burn in a day.

Whatever you choose to eat. :)

Yup,agreed :smile:
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,363 MFP Moderator

We have the same blood type. I could never go without meat. There just isn't correlation between blood type and dietary preference. Now, if you want to follow it, by all means, but it has nothing to do with blood type but rather the foods described are foods you enjoy.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member

I agree that the OP should definitely carry on eating the way she's eating if it works for her.

But know that it has absolutely *nothing* to do with blood type, and everything to do with eating less than you burn in a day.

Whatever you choose to eat. :)

This exactly.

Also, OP, food type does not make a person gain weight unless you exceed your total daily energy expenditure on a pretty consistent basis.
This discussion has been closed.