Non friendly females in the gym.

Options

Replies

• Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    I'll say hello or good morning to people when I pass them at the gym. To me that's manners. However I won't talk to people in the middle of a set. That's either their set or mine.

Middle of a set? Talking? Never.

Isn't that one of the first rules of gym etiquette?
    jtegirl1 wrote: »
    I'll say hello or good morning to people when I pass them at the gym. To me that's manners. However I won't talk to people in the middle of a set. That's either their set or mine.

Yeah, that's a given.

Yes I assumed it was a universal rule. However not everybody follows it. I ignore people if they speak to me while I'm in the middle of a set. So I guess I probably would look unfriendly to them.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,503 Member
    Options
    lstrat115 wrote: »

It IS but apparently not everyone has gotten the memo. I have 2 different old men who come in and talk to me while I am squatting. Now if I see them coming out of the corner of my eye I don't start a new set until after our chat and they leave.

plug in the ipod, avoid all eye contact.

I once had a lady start talking to me while I was in the middle of a set and I didn't even acknowledge her presence. I looked straight ahead and made zero eye contact, even with her standing 3 feet away.

frankly, it can be dangerous to be disturbed if you're lifting heavy and interrupted.

After the set is over, that's different

I agree and always have headphones in, but when they are standing right there next to me as I am squatting heavy I get super uncomfortable and have to stop. They always make the same "do you want me to help you with that?" joke.

you're too nice

once or twice with that, maybe

after that..... I wouldn't be so nice anymore
  • Motorsheen
    Options

Yeah, that's a given.

Yes I assumed it was a universal rule. However not everybody follows it. I ignore people if they speak to me while I'm in the middle of a set. So I guess I probably would look unfriendly to them.

you wouldn't look unfriendly to me; instead, you would look dedicated.

Re5peXt.

• blackcomaro
    blackcomaro Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Wow... this thread got juicy. I cant comment on the count it may incriminate me...lol.
  • blackcomaro
    blackcomaro Posts: 796 Member
    Options

It IS but apparently not everyone has gotten the memo. I have 2 different old men who come in and talk to me while I am squatting. Now if I see them coming out of the corner of my eye I don't start a new set until after our chat and they leave.

I once had a lady start talking to me while I was in the middle of a set and I didn't even acknowledge her presence. I looked straight ahead and made zero eye contact, even with her standing 3 feet away.

frankly, it can be dangerous to be disturbed if you're lifting heavy and interrupted.

I agree and always have headphones in, but when they are standing right there next to me as I am squatting heavy I get super uncomfortable and have to stop. They always make the same "do you want me to help you with that?" joke.

you're too nice

The one day I apparently looked very pissed and the one guy turned around and didn't enter the weight room and then said something to me a few days later. I simply said "I am very focused when I am here". Hasn't completely stopped him though.
    And too nice is an understatement

here ya' go !

2329ind-w800h800z1-35548-less-talk-more-chalk__43826_std.jpg

Were the hell do you find all the cool pics
  • Motorsheen
    Options

you're too nice

The one day I apparently looked very pissed and the one guy turned around and didn't enter the weight room and then said something to me a few days later. I simply said "I am very focused when I am here". Hasn't completely stopped him though.
    And too nice is an understatement

here ya' go !

2329ind-w800h800z1-35548-less-talk-more-chalk__43826_std.jpg

Were the hell do you find all the cool pics

interwebz?

*note: the 'safe search' feature can be your friend
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I'm sure some of the fellas would be up for a friendly chat.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    synchkat wrote: »
    zyxst wrote: »
    How do you feel about non-friendly males at the gym?

I don't go to the gym to talk. Talking is done in other places, like a coffee house or bar or movie theatre.

Why can't you make friends and talk to peole anywhere? I don't go to the gym but I am happy to talk to people anywhere. It makes the time go quicker and you might learn something even

Apparently some people in this thread already know it all and there social circle is at maximum capacity.

:laugh:
  • MJFSH
    MJFSH Posts: 7,252 Member
    Options
    I train at home alone! If someone comes to my gym when I'm training, mmmm they're asking for trouble!
    All my concentration is on the work i do, maybe i won't mind a chit chat but only after my work is done. Assuming most others feel that way too.
  • Cerealsensei
    Cerealsensei Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    There's no time for talking in the dojo, there is only work.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options

Yeah, that's a given.

Yes I assumed it was a universal rule. However not everybody follows it.

On that note, I really wish people would stop hanging out at the bottoms of hills in ski trails. Especially ones with blind corners. Seriously not amused.
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options

Yeah, that's a given.

Yes I assumed it was a universal rule. However not everybody follows it.

On that note, I really wish people would stop hanging out at the bottoms of hills in ski trails. Especially ones with blind corners. Seriously not amused.

Omfg really? I would have expected that to be a common sense thing
  • CaptainAmericaGirlYASSS
    Options
    I've never been approached while at the gym, it's probably the resting b face I have lmao
    Only guys who talk to me are my trainer and the staff- love em all