Non friendly females in the gym.

Options

Replies

• kaialexander17
    kaialexander17 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    To be honest my gym workout is my me-time...its the one place where u crank up the music and push yourself through an hour of cardio and strength training. Not that I dont mind having conversation, but usually i have a set amount of time to workout, stretch, shower, and then go to class or drive to work. Talking just cuts into the time Ive put in and supposed to be working on myself. Plus, if you can talk while working out, you're not working hard enough. At least that's how it feels for me.

Try asking what kind of workout she's doing and see if you can do it with her. For example, ask if she needs a spotter, or maybe if she's working on abs, you could listen to her music since "yours is broken" (im just making stuff up as I go along tbh).

Hope this helps.
  • TheSkyBlushed
    TheSkyBlushed Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    carmatiz wrote: »
    Iv been going to the gym for years. Just my opinion but ladies just don't seem to be very friendly. Maybe it's just me!
    I know we are there to workout but a casual chat would be nice.

I've found that people that go to the gym early in the morning seem more likely to chit chat than let's say after work, or later at night. I think the demographic changes a bit then too, it tend to be a little older in the early morning. At least at my gym. Have you tried going at different times?
  • pesigrandi
    pesigrandi Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I don't currently have a gym membership but when I did I was there to get my workout in as quickly as possible and get out. I had no interest in chatting with others. I am improving my workout space at home as the gyms are too crowded during the time I want to go (on my way home from work) and frankly I prefer to work out in peace and quiet.
  • tmoneyag99
    tmoneyag99 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Me thinks OP has missed out on the last 15 years of Sexual politics that apply to the gym.
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Pooshka2 wrote: »
    I think society as a whole is becoming less friendly. People now have buds in their ears and their noses in social media ~ real conversation is becoming a thing of the past.

This!!! Gym or anywhere else...
  • goldenday
    goldenday Posts: 204 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I only go over to people I already know. I'll smile at the same girls behind the front desk. I usually just tend have my headphones on, so I'm not really disturbed by anyone, but I wouldn't mind if someone came up to me to talk- especially if it was the bearded guy with real abs who always has a blue T-shirt , or the cute blonde in all black who trains early in the mornings.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    jtegirl1 wrote: »
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    Question I have been asking my whole life:

What is a real man?

let's start here:

You have had to watch both Predator and Fight Club in their entirety; no exceptions.

You forgot Road House. A movie for men who like movies lol

Road House from 1948? Yes!

The remake from '89, not so much.
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    lstrat115 wrote: »
    Sedu1906 wrote: »
    The notion that women are supposed to be friendly and respond with a smile when approached by a friendly male is rooted in sexism. Sorry bro, but I have to call it like I see it. It's a gym, not a bar or lounge.

I think ALL people should be friendly when approached by another friendly person

I'd be nice to you, I damn sure would.

..... really, really nice.
  • bushu_
    bushu_ Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    We all go to the gym to better ourselfs mind and body so you suround yourself with people that have the same goals like you or close enough with that being said there are a few people that dont know when to end the chat and talk way to much holding machines and benches etc or stay on the phone ... Say hello ask haw are they and resume your workout if they dont interact with u dont take it to heart ! We are all there to better ourselfs !
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    If someone give's me a friendly "Hi!", they will get one back. That's about it, unless for whatever reason I am inclined to speak with them further. I'm generally not, but eh - circumstances. I'm not at the gym to chat or make friends. I'm certainly not obliged to engage in a conversation with anyone.
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    Sedu1906 wrote: »
    The notion that women are supposed to be friendly and respond with a smile when approached by a friendly male is rooted in sexism. Sorry bro, but I have to call it like I see it. It's a gym, not a bar or lounge.

I think ALL people should be friendly when approached by another friendly person

I'd be nice to you, I damn sure would.

..... really, really nice.

Meet me at the gym ;)

I'm there now.

waiting.
  • Gimsteinn
    Gimsteinn Posts: 7,678 Member
    Options
    Question I have been asking my whole life:

What is a real man?

Maybe a real man has curves? I keep hearing real women have them.. So maybe a real man has them too?
  • Gimsteinn
    Gimsteinn Posts: 7,678 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Reading all these comments makes me so happy to be a part of a gym/box where the staff knows my name and everyone is super friendly.
    We have a bell we ring when we get a new 1RM and everyone cheers when you run up at it and ring it..
    We even cheer each other on and chat in the hot tub and sauna..
    We also have an app and a group on Facebook to chat to one another..
    I think some of you are worried to much about people who are trying to get into your pants that you're forgetting to have fun and enjoy the journey..
    Or maybe we're just all different and having fun and laughing isn't a part of your gym time. We all do what works for us.