WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2017

Options

Replies

• lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Morning, all... may have a potential buyer looking at the warehouse again today, so about to jump into cleaning mode once more. It's in good shape, just the office/break areas need vacuuming, mostly.

Lenora - the DH did have his wedding ring on when he broke his left wrist, but had enough presence of mind on the way to the ER to take the ring off and put it in his jeans pocket. It's on my keyring until the swelling goes down. It's so battered from the work he does, a few more scratches won't matter...

Thanks all for the good wishes for him... he's actually doing really well, only one very cranky day on Thursday, yesterday he started feeling better, and he slept well last night, so hopefully today will be a good day. I'll take him to the doc on Thursday morning, and hopefully, they'll cast him and send him back to work on light duty. Fingers crossed!

I put our income taxes together last night, and preliminary indications are really good--not of a refund, but less payment out than we expected. My bookkeeper/tax preparer will get them next week (also best friend, comes in handy) and we'll sit down with them soon and see if I got the estimates right. Fingers crossed!

Weight still dropping, but slower. Going to be a beautiful day outside, may just go for a walk with the DH, if he's up to it.

Welcome to all the new ones! We're a chatty bunch, but don't feel you have to respond to everyone...

Love y'all,
    Lisa
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    pitegny: "I am curious, I figured out that DH refers to husband or significant other, but does it stand for Dear Husband, Damn Husband, Dorky Husband or what?" The short answer is yes to all of the above. Mostly it is "dear", but there are many times it is "darned" or worse. As you get to know us you'll be able to tell better what to think. Take it as dear unless the context makes another choice sensible. :wink:

Pam: Welcome to a great group! :smiley:

Sherry: I love the Harriet Beecher Stowe quotation. Thanks for sharing! "Never give up." :noway:

Gloria: I hope you're feeling better this morning. (((hugs)))

Heather: I read Younger Next Year after Barbie recommended it a year or two ago. It has so much to offer. :flowerforyou:

Kate UK: Great exercise! :smiley:

I ate something that didn't agree with me & I've had tummy trouble for a couple of days. It feels okay at the moment, but we'll see how the day progresses. I have no idea what I ate that did the damage, but I wish we had a home entertainment system in the bathroom. :ohwell:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

"Normally I'm quite normal . . ." The Gods Must be Crazy
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Good morning all!

Enjoyed a wonderful high school production of Guys and Dolls last evening. Such talent the kids have! A co-worker of my husband's son was the lead. I so love going to the theater.

Hubs chomping at the bit to get going here. He likes up and out on the weekends. Going to run up to the pecan farm nearby and use a $15 credit, return some pants to Sam's Club, get our Aldi run in and go to the gym later.

Rita (from CT) what is the name of the app?

Later ladies,

Cheri
    in dreary College Station, TX
  • lacruiser2016
    lacruiser2016 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Oh...naked yoga?? Seriously?? Ugh. Just imagine downward dog...:O
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,047 Member
    Options
    Heather take care. I don't know if you caught my post about I got very sick in Mexico too. About a month later I got the swine flu. I did not know at that time how important the health of your gut is in keeping you well. If I had to do it over again once I was over the pout of sickness from Mexico and home I would have worked hard to get my gut back to health with probiotics, ginger, and fruits and veggies as soon as possible. Little or no processed foods and sugar. It was no fun to get so sick twice. The swine flu was the worse flu I ever had. I would have gone to the emergency room, but I was so sick I couldn't even do that. My temperature peaked at 105. Yes 105. I had a metallic taste in my mouth for a few days after that. I also made the mistake of taking aspirin a no no with a high fever even for adults. It was taking ibuprofen that brought the temp down. I was fortunate I recovered with no side effects and no seizures. After that I always make sure I have an up to date bottle of ibuprofen in the house.

Take care. Glad you got home safe.

:heart: Margaret
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Rita I am curious about your app challenge, sign me up and let me know what it's called, thanks. NYKAREN
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    o:)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,197 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Aaaaaahhhhh Barbie, that's a lovely picture. <3

Watched a German film this afternoon while DH was upstairs watching rugby. He is still up there for the England/France game.
    I am carrying on with my German on Duolingo, but giving Spanish a rest now. We will stop in Germany for a day on the cruise, but it's more that German has been pursuing me since I was seven when my best friend was German, so I feel I need to get to grips with it. It is much harder than Spanish. :*

Fish soup for dinner. :D

Margaret - I'm eating loads of veggies, which is the best way to rebuild your gut microbes. Chewing on raw carrots. We always eat a good amount of fruit for breakfast and dessert. I rarely eat anything processed and the only sugar is in my one candy after dinner. I am a bit worried about the man with the awful cold who was sitting beside DH on the aeroplane. DH managed to move seats after a bit and I'm hoping the damage wasn't already done. He gets dreadful colds and sometimes I catch them, but not always. I am resting a lot and eating healthily. Thank you for thinking of me. <3

Getting through the pile of washing. ;) I found the item which I wore the most and that I was most pleased with, was a plain, white, long sleeved, boat neck T shirt. It looked classy, though it only cost £8 . In my fat days I could not have worn white. Shows all the lumps and bumps and I would have looked like a galleon in full sale! :laugh: It looked great with silver jewellery, so I am going to buy two more from the same shop before they change the styling. It looks dressy without being dressed up.

Still got lots of binge watching to do to catch up on my missed TV. :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    loseweightbb: Welcome to a great group. The secret to success is CICO--calories in/calories out. You'll need to be stubborn to the point of obsession about measuring portions and logging because those two things are the keys to success. Many of us are teachers or former teachers. You'll be in the company of people who know what it is like. My favorite bit of reality is that I can "buy" more calories by exercising. This enables me to earn a treat when I want one. :bigsmile:

Barbie: It seems like Sasha is working through her grief. Good news for her! People often don't give animals their due respect regarding emotions and loss. In my opinion, dogs are part of a family and experience joy and loss like the rest of us. :heart: :broken_heart::heart:

We had good news from the insurance company about our raccoon damage. It is covered!!!!! Every bit they pay is a blessing for us. Three cheers! Riding lesson today. Yay!

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

Heather posted a quote similar to this that I wanted to use, but I couldn't recall it quite right. I went online and found this one.

"So many of us believe in perfection, which ruins everything else, because the perfect is not only the enemy of the good; it's also the enemy of the realistic, the possible and the fun."
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,336 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of 10 Pound Slimdown DVD today. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Pilates Quick Start DVD.

Ann in TX - welcome back, so glad you are here. How imminent is the knee surgery?

Yvonne - Vince had cataract surgery a few years ago (after the first one he couldn't wait to get the second one done). What he does is he has glasses but one part of the bi-focal is just plain glass. He didn't have anywhere to put reading glasses in his pants. He was afraid he's sit on them or something

Jessica came down, she needs to get her car repaired. She called here at 6:30 while I was exercising, said that we locked her out. Now I know when I came back from the play yesterday I didn't lock the door purposely because I knew Jess was coming. Vince probably locked it because he assumed she'd go right to the car dealership and I'd pick her up. No big deal. Oh, no it's not that we leave our front door unlocked for her when she gets here late. She has a code so she can open the garage door and we leave the door from the garage to the house unlocked. Before opening the door I put on my housecoat -- didn't think she'd appreciate seeing me in my underwear while I'm exercising....lol I was going to have meatloaf for dinner, but with Jess here I have a sneaking suspicion that we'll go out.

Speaking of those who haven't been here in a while, I do miss Shirley and think of her often, NCCarol, and mimi.

Yinx - I just don't feel the day is anywhere near complete unless I do some sort of exercise

DJ - I always say that if they want 0 population growth, just have men have children. Vince will really talk to me when I've been gone a while. I guess he needs to get caught up with me, but I also have a lot of things that I need to get caught up on and talking to him can wait. But I certainly wouldn't tell him that!

NancyD in Delray - gentle yoga is about the only kind of yoga that I like. It gets me so zen. Glad you went back. I know one time I took an aerobics class and then a yoga class. I was sweating so much from the aerobics class that I was shaking in yoga so I decided that I'd never again do that. Now I do take yoga before the water aerobics class. Congrats on those shorts fitting. I have heard of naked yoga, but there's no way I'd do it. Talk about grossing people out!

Lenora - you can bet your bottom dollar that if anyone asks me how his work is, I will tell them "there is no way in h*** that I would ever have him do any more work for me". That isn't the kind of review you want from someone. I'm thinking of the azalea, perhaps the congo, Linwood, I have to check when the Autumn angel blooms. The Pieris Japonica cavatine blooms April to May and likes clay, the Grayswood blooms March to April, not sure when Historyland Supreme blooms (I like the colors) not sure when the Sarabande blooms. That's what I'm thinking right now. The nursery lists all those as evergreens. I really, really liked this one bush that was outside our front door when we lived in PA. In the 12 years we lived there, we never once trimmed it and it kept the same Christmas tree shape. Only when I went to take a picture of it, the new owners had taken the bush/tree out. So I'm going to ask the nursery if they know the name of it and if it would grow in our zone. I hate these ivy bushes we have only because they are so large and Vince has to climb a ladder to trim them. The one bush I don't mind but the other one is on a slope and my heart goes into my throat whenever he has to trim it. We shall see what happens.

Welcome everyone new! You've come to a great group of ladies, very supportive in every way

Kim - what you're making sounds delish. That lady sounds a lot like Vince -- plain, plain, plain food, no spices or anything. Boring I say

Marni - loved all the pics and your nails. Lived on the East Coast all my life and I've never seen a Tim Hortons

Becca - that pic that you posted looks better than your avatar. Consider changing?

drkatiebug - was it you who suggested I search on Amazon for leggins? Anyway, well,I did search. The only ones I could find that were fleece lined (want this since I wear them in Dec. with my elf costume) were one size fits all. That's what I have right now and I'd like them a big longer.

pitegny - the "d" in dh can stand for whichever you want it to stand for

Heather - yes, putting your arms in the air while exercising does get your heartrate up. I also find that when I'm doing spinning, my heartrate goes up if I'm standing versus sitting. Which makes sense since the heart has to work harder to get the blood flowing upwards. When we went to Europe, we had to be adapters with us.

Lanettte - I very seldom can find clothes to fit me at WalMart. Sometimes they do have petite jeans and I can usually get bras/underwear/socks at a decent price. I found a pair of pants there once, exactly what I was looking for. Only the smallest size they had was a 10. I'd be swimming in them. Oh well.....

Made 2 chocolate banana cakes to freeze and take to FL. I know we're going to visit one set of friends, I feel I should bring something with me. Not sure about the other set, but if we don't I know Vince will eat it. Also made brownies to take with us. You know how I always said that raw dough was my downfall? Well, I found this time that even tho I did sample some (I admit it) I didn't want nearly as much. I licked the bowl some but washed out a lot. Before I would lick the bowl clean. NSV for me. I put mini chips on top of the brownies so on the cakes I just might put some icing and the rest of the minichips on them.

Michele in NC
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Sharon – So you live in a trailer/mobile home and you bought the RV to travel in; but, not live in full time? How big/long is it? Self-contained, pulling car behind it, or needing a truck large enough to pull it? Other than walking through them during a ‘show’; I’ve only stayed in one that some friends of ours had; but, most of the time we spent our time outdoors under a shade that pulled out from the top of it. Friend was meticulous about always keeping it clean and table made not to look like a bed. A little small, don’t think I would want to have that much time having to check it out before going on a trip, nor packing it back up to bring it home. But, we still had fun – most of that because we enjoyed the company. All meals other than breakfast were grilled outside.

Heather – I would have been surprised if you had not lost weight on your holiday. Would not want to go that way; but, hopefully I will have done something right to kick me off the plateau and losing and finding the same 2lbs. I just receive the Younger next year book this past week. But, I am reading library books at the moment and have fallen behind in doing that.

KJ – I just gave my husband a “Bucket List” of things that, someday, I would like to accomplish in the house. He read it and said, “Is that all?” I told him that it did not have to be done, it was actually a “Wish List”; but, I DID want the ‘damn’ door for my glassed-in porch. Got to go out and water the plants. Some have died (mostly violets); but, I have yet to find a spot they like. Louis said the last time I was ‘in the hospital’ they all bloomed when I was gone. I would like to get one of those super-duper pressurized cooker, do they look like a crock pot?

Katla – DDnL#1 would like for DOGD to take over a ‘lot’ of her bills; but, she struggles to pay her bills as it is. Her boyfriend has offered to pay the rent and that way she could buy healthier food to cook. She hasn’t wanted that because he has graduated; and, she is only a senior (will graduate in December of this year). They are looking to ‘get out of the lease') on the house they are living in because they have a ‘roommate from HELL.

Roommate and her boyfriend moved into the front bedroom, the 3rd bedroom was to be for ‘guests’; but, then someone moved in – think it was her step-father; but, he did not pay rent (or else he paid part of theirs). Their share never went down because of it and it should. Then the roommate wanted the MBR where they are and said something about moving into it. She told her that she better NOT touch any of their stuff. They now lock the door to the rest of the house and go out the back door that comes into their room. She also is afraid that her roommate from Hell would do something to her puppy. She is a Honor Student and her Daddy does NOT want to make her take over any of them.

Penny – When you open up the site and there are so many posts; you might want to jump in about 3 pages from the end and then go back and read the ones you missed; I know if I have over 50 posts, much more than that … I am still behind because it doesn't take too many post for another page to get added.

Lanette – I have about 10 – 15 lbs. to get down to where my BMI will be within the ‘normal’ range. After I fussed at the MD who ordered me into the program by not saying anything when it was noticeable that I had lost. Now, each time I go he says, ‘you’re looking good; know you have to be feeling better’.

I’ve got 2 pair of ‘loud’ skinny jeans; both have big flowers on them. One I wear with a black top and black wedges or boots. The other is ‘loud’ and I feel a little ‘self-conscious’ when I wear them; especially ‘out somewhere’. Biggest problem for me, would be where to store an Instant Pot. I had to laugh at my DYS who told his wife; ‘when we build a home; he does NOT want ‘anything’ out of the counter'. I’d think the counters would have to be ‘wider’ to compensate for any areas to keep things out of the way; and, deeper drawers and cabinets. I can’t wait to see what they end up buying. Looking on the lake (but not the lake they are on now). Also want the house’s front to face away from the water and want to be on the west side of the lake. The looked at a house on 3 acres, about 900 sq. ft., which is smaller than their house they live in now; and they wanted $320,000 – which is ‘way out of their range’. I’m sure it was for the lot and figure whoever bought it would tear down the house; but even that is a ridiculous price when you’d either have to tear it down and re-build it.

Lisa – The reason I asked about the ring is because my mother used to pour the grease from cooking bacon into a shortening jar (with a plastic top) and pushed on it wrong; and, her hand went in to. She tried to pull it off but was so painful, they had to cut it off. She did not want to have it cut off because it had a pattern to it. So when they put it back together there was an obvious seam; but, they did the best they could. My sister got it upon her death, I got all the rest of her jewelry because her rings fit my fingers, and not anyone else’s. Louis’ ring has been on his hand so long and he hasn’t ever taken it off that the pattern it had (cross-hatching) has worn off and his finger is indented where it is. Glad to hear you hubby was only cranky for one day.

We have not receive a single 1099 from people he has painted for; but, I guess that still would not happen if the job was under $1000. I thought they had been due to receive them by January 31st. I’ll wait until the end of the February to give my stuff to my BF who does our taxes. I agree that it is nice for a friend to do your taxes. Mine used to work for the IRS, so she really looks for all the ‘loopholes’ she can use without making them raise their eyebrows. A couple of years ago, Louis painted the house of the ‘ex’ of one of his customers, he was supposed to pay for it; but, when we sent in the 1099; he had put the entire job into the wrong box, about $32,000; and, the IRS sent us a letter that we owed taxes on that amount. Friend wrote a letter for our signature telling them that it had been reported and that he had put the amount in the wrong box, They wrote back and said we did not owe any additional taxes.

pitegny - I would think that ‘significant other’ would stand for DOS; although that would also be ‘dear oldest son or sister’. I think what you write and ‘how’ you write it people would sort of know by what you say would determine who you mean (or could guess it). If not, I am sure that someone would ask. Of maybe add to make it SIO or SiO and the “D” in front of it we could also figure out if his/she is ‘dear’, ‘damn’, ‘darned’, ‘dorky’, or worse. It would also be ‘nice’ to know what you prefer to be called, a location (specific or general) and a little about you, married, hobbies, goals, that sort of stuff.

Margaret – You are very ‘blessed’ to not have had a ‘seizure’ when you temperature spiked at 105 °.

WELCOME TO ALL THE "NEWBIES" and the ones who have "COME BACK."

Lenora
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    B)
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)
  • loseweightbb
    loseweightbb Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I know that despite all of life's various stresses, I can't let it overwhelm me & must stop letting things interfere with my own health goals. I'd be the 1st to give helpful advice to someone else about the importance of making themselves a priority, but harder to take my own advice. I have to continue to remind myself how blessed I am in so many ways in my life & that I'm strong enough to overcome the roadblocks that inevitably come. Want to feel enthusiastic & LIVE life, not just get through it day to day. Life's too short, after all & not getting any younger.

Agree that ACTION is more important that anything. Knowing what to do to lose wt doesn't matter much if I don't actually DO it - CONSISTENTLY, too.

Sorry for not signing my 1st post with a name - realized as a started the message bds this time that the ID name I 1st set up doesn't include that at all.

Have a great day. -- I'm Becky (in snowy NY - upstate, not NYC).
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Becca: Nice Pic!

Sherry: Thanks for sharing the "Admit It" list. At least now I don't need to think I'm strange. I'm so glad your living situation is so positive! :)

Sharon: I'm overwhelmed by issues happening on all fronts- at work, at home, medically - the list goes on. I need to get back to applying the stress management techniques I've learned. First item on the agenda...get my keyster back to Tai Chi as the meditative aspect helps me calm my brain.

I purchased an instant pot on a black friday sale just before Christmas. I think it was Heather that mentioned them and how wonderful they were. The thought that I could get a pressure cooker, slow cooker, rice cooker (I think 7 cookers) all in one appealed to me. Apparently you can even brown meat in it giving you fewer dishes to do. I was also amazed to learn about this appliance from someone in the UK when it is a Canadian invention! At any rate I haven't even used it yet.. what the heck am I waiting for? Here are a couple of links I came across.
    instantpot.com/recipes/
    theprairiehomestead.com/2016/01/instant-pot-recipes.html

Katla: Hope you feel better soon!

"The greatest weapon against stress is our ability to choose one thought over another." - William James

Carey - Northern Alberta
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,047 Member
    Options
    Heather sounds like you are right on track. I did not put The Swine flu and my illness in Mexico together until after the fact.I learned my lesson and anytime I have to go on an anit biotic I make sure I take probiotics too. I never want to get that sick again.

loseweightbb: I understand your frustration and how stress can undermine your getting healthy. I have renewed my determination because of my knee issue. I know if I could get 10-20 pounds off it would less if not an issue at all.

When I had issue with my ankle I did get the weight off and it cleared up.

I am now making taking care of my health top priority. My knee is a warning.

:heart: Margaret