edited February 2017
    2/1 6.3r 4.4w
    2/2 5.2r 5.3w
    2/3 0.0r 7.25w
    2/4 7.0r 0.5w
    2/5 4.2r 0.0w
    2/6 5.1r 4.6w
    Total so far = 27.8r +22.05w = 49.85 miles

Not a good day yesterday. seems like everything that could go wrong, did. Anxiety was high. Took a couple of miles to get into the run; I almost quit before then because I was having trouble. Somehow managed 5 miles, then came home and ate all the chocolate.

Today is day 3 of my car being in the shop. Thank goodness I was able to snag a rental car, otherwise I'd be up kitten's creek. Hoping they figure out what's wrong with it and get it back to me today. So far they haven't been able to replicate the problem, so maybe it was just a one-time glitch.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    @mustb60 Congrats on your first 10k! I remember my first 10k, it was SUCH a good feeling. I hope you're feeling the same.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Date Miles today - Miles for February
    2/1 5 miles - 5
    2/2 10miles - 15
    2/3 5 miles - 20
    2/4 18 miles - 38
    2/5 REST DAY
    2/6 10 miles - 48
    2/7 10 miles - 58

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH 8K - 3/6 <<< 34:33 3 in AG
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10 <<< 1:36:33 3 in AG
    PEO-AVN Team Day 5K - 5/4 <<< 19:10 (2.9 mi) 1 in AG 5 OA
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30 << 44:57 PR
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler 6/25 << 1:20:22 1 in AG & 15 OA
    Huntsville Half Marathon - 11/12 << 1:35:55 2 in AG & 25 OA
    Rocket City Marathon - 12/10 << 2:44:41
    Elkmont Hound Dog Half (unofficial) - 1/21 << 1:46:48 2 OA
    Elkmont Hound Dog Half (rescheduled) - 2/18
    Kentucky Derby Marathon - 4/29

This is weird. My legs felt better this morning after running 10 miles up a mountain yesterday, then how my legs felt yesterday after a full day's rest from running a grueling 18 mile long run on Saturday. I did run yesterday's miles slower than usual. And it's not like I did any speed work today either. Just a nice steady decent pace working on my form, plus some glorious hills.

Hoping to get in a double today as well as weights this afternoon.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Hi guys! What is everyone's threshold for running in the rain, in regards to temp? I actually really enjoy running in the rain, but I'm uncertain if there's a point where you find the rain, with too cold of a temp, is just too much? It looks like my lunch run today is going to be in the rain, and it'll be about 38ish degrees Fahrenheit. I have a rainproof jacket (still trying to figure out just how rainproof it is, as it's hard to tell if I'm just wet from sweat because it doesn't breath, lol) and a brimmed hat, so I'm thinking I should be fine. weather.com says it'll feel like 33, but Accuweather says it will feel like 42, so who knows.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    @Stoshew71 - Funny, but I was just thinking about that same thing on my run this morning. Yesterday was a rest day after a fast effort 10K on Saturday and 14 miles on Sunday. Today my legs were heavy. Recently I have realized that if I run in the morning after a rest day, my legs are stiff and take a while to loosen up. But if I run in the evening, they feel great. I guess that's why we always do shake out runs the day before a marathon.
  • Stoshew71
    Hi guys! What is everyone's threshold for running in the rain, in regards to temp? I actually really enjoy running in the rain, but I'm uncertain if there's a point where you find the rain, with too cold of a temp, is just too much? It looks like my lunch run today is going to be in the rain, and it'll be about 38ish degrees Fahrenheit. I have a rainproof jacket (still trying to figure out just how rainproof it is, as it's hard to tell if I'm just wet from sweat because it doesn't breath, lol) and a brimmed hat, so I'm thinking I should be fine. weather.com says it'll feel like 33, but Accuweather says it will feel like 42, so who knows.

Rain does not bother me, even in those temps you describe. Thunder is a different story.
    Layers and rainproof jacket should be your answer. Enough layers appropriate for the temperature drop.

As far as the treadmill discussion. I don't think any TV program or Amazon Prime (which I do have) will take my mind off how dreadful the dreadmill is. I would rather run for 2 hours in -10 degree weather (dressed correctly) than an hour on the treadmill.

Now ice, darkness, and traffic are a deadly combination. I would run on ice if I made screw shoes and there's no traffic and in daylight. But running in the dark with crazy drivers (ice or no ice) is the bigger problem. That's the only reason I ended up on a hotel treadmill last month when I was up at Ft. Campbell.

• KatieJane83
    Stoshew71 wrote: »

Rain does not bother me, even in those temps you describe. Thunder is a different story.
    Layers and rainproof jacket should be your answer. Enough layers appropriate for the temperature drop.

As far as the treadmill discussion. I don't think any TV program or Amazon Prime (which I do have) will take my mind off how dreadful the dreadmill is. I would rather run for 2 hours in -10 degree weather (dressed correctly) than an hour on the treadmill.

Now ice, darkness, and traffic are a deadly combination. I would run on ice if I made screw shoes and there's no traffic and in daylight. But running in the dark with crazy drivers (ice or no ice) is the bigger problem. That's the only reason I ended up on a hotel treadmill last month when I was up at Ft. Campbell.

Thanks @Stoshew71 ! That's exactly what I was thinking, I think I just let other people around me (non-runners) get into my head when they're like, "omg, you're not gonna run in this are you???" Or, "oh you can't, you'll get a chill and get sick!" Personally, I'm kinda looking forward to it, I like being in the little bubble of dryness under my hat brim, lol. But then, I don't think us runners are 'normal' :D

And I completely agree on the dreadmill. The streaming stuff is what makes it just barely tolerable, but I'd hands down choose outdoors even if it's rain or snow or whatnot. Only unsafe conditions send me to the treadmill. I do need to get some trail shoes or something though, so I feel a little more comfortable if there's snowy conditions out.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,498 Member

Every runner has to do what they feel comfortable with but nearly every one of my weeknight runs in the winter are on the roads, in the dark, and sometimes with icy spots. The sidewalks are more dangerous around here because there's much more ice and snowpack whereas the streets are plowed, often salted, and get more traffic making them safer and more pleasant.

I make myself as visible as I can with a reflective vest, headlamp in front and flashing light in the back, running against traffic. My routes are low traffic residential areas, often with wide shoulders or parking lanes. As cars come towards me I give them a quick flash with my headlight to get their attention. One time I happen to cross paths with my wife when she was driving home and she told me I really stood out and she saw my light bobbing up and down two blocks away.

I'm definitely a defensive runner out there. I've had close calls but most have been during the day at one particular busy intersection. Since I've developed my bright and blinky strategy, and have learned what to watch out for, I've never felt any more at risk running at night than during the day. Actually I think it's easier to stick out in the dark because of the reflective material and lights.

I still prefer to run on trails though, day or night.

@KatieJane83 what I recommend when people run in conditions they're not familiar with is to plan to do multiple short loops so it's easy to either bail out if the conditions are too tough to stand, or to shed layers if you find you wore too much. On my coldest run ever I run four 2 mile loops to get my 8 miles in. It wasn't the most exciting run ever, but it was nice knowing I was never more than a half mile away from home if it got to be too much.
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited February 2017
    @ddmon0811 and @shanaber Great race pictures! Wow, you really get awesome medals in the US - maybe I have to fly over and run a few races there one day :smile:

@tdbernrd That's great that there's a yoga for runners course close to you. Probably much more fun than doing a DVD at home alone.

@Azercord Kree is so cute!!
    Shame on me, I didn't get the reference. Does it count as an excuse that my entire SG-1 collection is on VHS, and I don't have anything with with to watch them anymore? :p

@greenolivetree Sometimes there a phase were other things are more important than exercise (or seem to be). Maybe you can do some exercise while watching TV, if that's the only time you have. And hopefully life will get easier soon and you can again run as much as you want.

@katharmonic I love the ninja pic! Looks like a fun running group.

@JessicaMcB Wow, you are already at 86km after 6 days of the month? That's impressive - especially if you are still thinking about "picking up the milage a bit" for this week!

@KatieJane83 I don't have a threshold temperature for running in the rain. Just Sunday I ran 23km in 2°C/35F rain. Sure, I complained about it a lot (especially since my jacket isn't really rainproof), and I was running half blind since constantly wiping the rain from my glasses got annoying and I took them off, and it probably took an hour until I was indifferent enough to the weather to start enjoying the run. But that's not a reason to skip a run >:) As long as you are moving, unless it's really stormy on top of the rain, you shouldn't get too cold. Sheer layers of ice without a single patch of okayish road in between, or cherry-sized hail stones are where I draw the line, but a bit of rain isn't going to kill me.

@BeeerRunner I only ran one marathon so far, so I'm not an expert, but what I did worked for me: I didn't do any strength training for ~10days before the race. I still took the bike to work almost every day, but that's only about 10km per day, I didn't think that would endanger the taper, and not moving (apart from the increasingly short runs in the training plan) at all would have driven me insane. I wouldn't do deadlifts or squats in the week of the race, but a short walk can't hurt!

--

I'm not sure yet if I can run today. I bumped my little toe on the couch yesterday (can an "injury" get any more pathetic than that?), as I was looking for my bike shoes to do a bit of indoor cycling. After 20min on the bike I had to stop because the pain didn't get any better, and found that the front of the sock was soaked in blood - ewww. This morning every step still hurt, but by now I can almost walk without limping. So with some very plush socks and roomy shoes a short run should be doable. I'm just afraid I'll run weirdly/with bad form due to favouring the toe, and injure something more serious.. :/
  • KatieJane83
    7lenny7 wrote: »

Every runner has to do what they feel comfortable with but nearly every one of my weeknight runs in the winter are on the roads, in the dark, and sometimes with icy spots. The sidewalks are more dangerous around here because there's much more ice and snowpack whereas the streets are plowed, often salted, and get more traffic making them safer and more pleasant.

I make myself as visible as I can with a reflective vest, headlamp in front and flashing light in the back, running against traffic. My routes are low traffic residential areas, often with wide shoulders or parking lanes. As cars come towards me I give them a quick flash with my headlight to get their attention. One time I happen to cross paths with my wife when she was driving home and she told me I really stood out and she saw my light bobbing up and down two blocks away.

I'm definitely a defensive runner out there. I've had close calls but most have been during the day at one particular busy intersection. Since I've developed my bright and blinky strategy, and have learned what to watch out for, I've never felt any more at risk running at night than during the day. Actually I think it's easier to stick out in the dark because of the reflective material and lights.

@KatieJane83 what I recommend when people run in conditions they're not familiar with is to plan to do multiple short loops so it's easy to either bail out if the conditions are too tough to stand, or to shed layers if you find you wore too much. On my coldest run ever I run four 2 mile loops to get my 8 miles in. It wasn't the most exciting run ever, but it was nice knowing I was never more than a half mile away from home if it got to be too much.

Ha, I have the exact same nighttime running gear: reflective vest, headlamp, and blinky light on my back, and I do the same thing, sticking to less busy roads, always against traffic. Glad to hear you've gotten direct positive feedback on your visibility, makes me feel good about my setup!

And that's an excellent point about running in new conditions. That's my plan for when I do my first very cold run (if it ever happens this winter, so far my coldest run has been around 28F at night). If it's a shorter run I'll do the 2 mile loop from my front door on repeat, and if it's a long run I'll do the 3 mile loop around the lake on repeat, with my car right there.
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited February 2017

^^ Same here.
    The good thing about running in the evening (~9pm) during the week is that there are fewer cars. So I can run on the roads most of the time, which usually only have isolated spots of ice, while the sidewalks can be pure nightmare. Reflective clothing and, much more important, at least two blinking lights, and if I meet a car on a road without sidewalk, I wave my flashlight at them. I've never felt less safe on a run just because it is dark.
    I don't run real trails at night though - combine the higher risk of falling with frequent lack of cell phone reception, and that seems too risky to me. If I stumble over a root and break my leg, I'd like to have a chance to be found within the next few hours, especially in winter!

• ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member

Evening runner, so same here. I tend to work more one-way streets into my routes in the winter, since sidewalks are out in most cases (so I can run in the middle of the road for the most part where it is flat). I switched out the reflective vest for one with lights so it would be more visible to cyclists (I'm in a high pedestrian area, so drivers are pretty good about watching for runners, but cyclists have a tendency to blow through stop signs at full speed-I had a few close calls with them but none with cars in my neighborhood).
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    The current conversation about running on the street made me wonder, what is the speed limit where y'all are running? Most of the time I'm running neighborhood streets with 20mph limit. There's only a couple roads in the my town that have 30-35mph, besides the main highway which is 55mph. I've only run along the sidewalk of the big highway twice and that was very different, with cars blowing by at 55 :) I go on and off the sidewalk through town based on parked cars. Some people park on the street and some block the sidewalk because they have too many cars in their driveway, so I weave on and off the sidewalk as needed. My whole town is mainly residential though.

I'm still trying to get back on schedule and it's not going well. Took hubby to ER after work yesterday and got home at 1am. Barely slept. So another run missed and at this point I haven't run since Friday. Which is stressing me out. LOL Now I'm so behind because nothing got done yesterday. Well, I started a load of laundry at 1:30 this morning. I just have so much to do. Maybe I should just go run for 15 min. Surely I can squeeze in 15 min, right?
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    The current conversation about running on the street made me wonder, what is the speed limit where y'all are running? Most of the time I'm running neighborhood streets with 20mph limit. There's only a couple roads in the my town that have 30-35mph, besides the main highway which is 55mph. I've only run along the sidewalk of the big highway twice and that was very different, with cars blowing by at 55 :) I go on and off the sidewalk through town based on parked cars. Some people park on the street and some block the sidewalk because they have too many cars in their driveway, so I weave on and off the sidewalk as needed. My whole town is mainly residential though.

I stick to mostly residential streets, 25mph speed limit. On those roads, I will run in the street if the sidewalks are impassable. My routes do go along a few higher speed limit roads in spots (I think the highest get up to 35-40mph) and stay only on the sidewalks on those. Those streets tend to be busier than the residential streets. Residential streets I hardly ever see any cars.
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Been feeling low after long illness and abandoning my (ambitious) marathon plans. Last night I found a replacement marathon in May which I booked this morning. It's run as 4 x 10.5k loops up and down a coastal road/promenade so mostly flat. Description says there is a small hill, but looking at a route mapper it's only about 60ft so even being done 8 times should be easy enough, (though may not think so by the last lap!). It's a tiny event in its 3rd year and only had 28 individual marathon finishers last year and I am entry #10 so far this year. If similar to last year, even including relay runners and HM runners, there will only be about 100 of us on the start line.

I also did some looking at different training plans, and chose the one which seemed the most interesting to me. Was from a charity website so don't know where the plan came from originally, but includes a variety of runs including fartleks, off-road and hill work. Although the plan does not prescribe any cross-training or resistance training it encourages you to do some so that fits well with me also. I need to play with it a bit to fit around my other commitments (mainly my daughter) but overall I should be OK and the variety will keep me interested. The plan includes one half marathon race so have booked myself in for one in London (Richmond Half) that week, so we're all systems go!

I guess that means today officially marks day one of my marathon training, although I jumped into Week 3 Day 2 of the plan which called for 50 mins hilly. As it happened I had already planned a 10K point-to-point run today anyhow (to town for dinner & cinema trip). My normal route includes one proper hill and three more gentle slopes and takes just over an hour so I stuck with that. Within a km of leaving home my tummy starting feeling a bit off, and after 3km or so I had to throw in done walking intervals. About 4km in I had to give it up but I was relatively near a pub so walked there to use the bathrooms. After that I tried again and probably did about 0.5km but unfortunately knew today wasn't meant to be especially as I was on a time deadline so had to hop on the bus. Not overly worried as my run yesterday was longer than the plan would have been and know I could have even have started at week 5 if I had to.

Now, just need to keep fingers crossed for no illnesses / injuries / life-events etc. getting in the way the next few months. Bring it on...

exercise.png
    01-Feb: 1.7km treadmill intervals [TM]
    02-Feb: 3.4k treadmill [TM]
    05-Feb: 6.6k + 5.5k easy
    06-Feb: 7.5k tempo
    07-Feb: 4.1k easy

2017 Confirmed Races:
    19-Mar: Richmond Half Marathon
    14-May: Bexhill Starfish Marathon
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    @greenolivetree - The streets in my neighborhood are 25 mph and the ones around my work are up to 35 mph. I do run on some roads with speed limits up to 55 mph, but never in the dark and most of those roads have a pretty decent shoulder. I try to avoid 2 lane roads with no shoulder. There is a road that I need to take to get to the path closest to my house that is a county road with a steep camber and absolutely no shoulder, trenched on both sides. Speed limit is 45 mph, but people fly much faster than that. If I want to get to the path, I need to run on this road for about 0.75 mile stretch. I never do it in the dark and I always remove my right earbud so I know if traffic is coming in the other direction. Most cars will move over at least halfway to the other side of the road, but some people come by as if they are intentionally trying to make me jump off the road. I am always terrified during that stretch of my run and tend to pick up the pace a lot!

BTW, sorry your hubby is still having issues. I am sure that is rough on both of you. I hope things turn around for him soon.

@dkabambe -Sorry to hear about your marathon, but you probably made the right decision. Going into a marathon underprepared is a recipe for disaster. I am sure you will feel much better for the May race and have a great run!
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member

I live in the city, so cars are generally parked on the street bumper-to-bumper. Very few people there block the sidewalk with their cars. Speed limit is 30 mph (side streets and main streets). The street with the fastest moving traffic (major street, but primarily residential, with more traffic circles rather than lights) has a bike lane on both sides but have to be careful at the circles. The other main streets are small-sized dense-packed commercial streets, so slower traffic due to being stop-go with people parking and high pedestrian flow - most of the sidewalks here pass in front of consumer-based businesses, so the sidewalks are generally cleared and salted when needed (with the exception of a handful of apartment-only buildings or non-consumer-based businesses).

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,498 Member
    edited February 2017
    @greenolivetree you bring up a good point. The nature of the road certainly influences runability.

Here are some screen captures of my typical road route

There are residential side streets, 30mph, no parking lane, but such low traffic it doesn't matter
    977kwrg402ob.jpeg

Then there are residential collector streets, 30mph, busy but with a parking lane which I run in. Very few cars actually park in the parking lane.
    q7q69pkq42lx.jpeg

Finally, there is a busy county road nearby, 50mph, with no parking lane and too busy to run on any time of day. I'll run on the sidewalk for a couple of blocks to get to where I need to be or in some parts there is an asphalt path I run on when they're not snow covered.
    rec9m1n117hx.jpeg

As far as running, I think you should. You need to look after your own well being. You'll be better able to care for your husband if you make sure you're also taking care of you. I hope things calm down soon!
    S1.jpeg 132.8K
    S3.jpeg 91.6K
    S2.jpeg 127.4K
  • Stoshew71

I'm still trying to get back on schedule and it's not going well. Took hubby to ER after work yesterday and got home at 1am. Barely slept. So another run missed and at this point I haven't run since Friday. Which is stressing me out. LOL Now I'm so behind because nothing got done yesterday. Well, I started a load of laundry at 1:30 this morning. I just have so much to do. Maybe I should just go run for 15 min. Surely I can squeeze in 15 min, right?

Sorry about your hubby. I hope everything is fine now with him?

As far as types of roads. I run in all sorts. I try to run as much as possible on roads that are not busy like back neighborhood roads, or early in the morning when traffic is not quite busy yet. But things always don't work out as I plan.

Running on Redstone Arsenal (or RSA) which is the Army base I work on, has a "jogging" path that is perfect and isolates me from the traffic except for a couple minor cross traffic. Most people are kind (possibly too kind when they stop for you when you're still 20 feet away from the intersection) but then you get a few that don't care and you have to stop and wait 5 or 10 seconds for the traffic to clear.

Research Park is great for a Saturday morning long run which also includes the Greenway. On the weekends and especially if I get up super early on Saturday, nobody is up and out that way. Weekdays, which includes my Thursday morning Panera Pounder run, it sometimes get's crazy near Columbia High School. Who in the heck is at a high school or driving to work at 5:45 am? But there are quite a few, some weeks crazier than others. The speed limit through research park is supposed to be 35 mph, but I know people go way faster than that. Luckily the more busier parts of Research Park are 4 lanes.

That kinda leaves my Tuesday morning run with my Brueggers group in question. Hughes Road is not too bad because there's a running/walk path made of blacktop that parallels, but Madison Pike Rd which not only has high traffic even in the morning with a speed limit of 40 mph, but there's a few cross streets where drivers pull out and never look to their right. That's the most dangerous part of all my runs. The rest of that route is low traffic side neighborhood streets that are 25 mph max and some even have speed bumbs through them.

As far as using the sidewalks? I hate using them when I am forced to use them. Concrete is rougher on the legs than black top. If you catch a crack wrong, you do a face plant. And then the tree limbs that never get trimmed, and being 6'2" and ducking tree limbs is not fun while running.

When I do run in the street, I always go against the traffic, and I wear a head lamp and try and wear brightly colored clothing.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member

My most common road route for weekdays is mostly 25 mph speed limit and mostly boulevards (i.e. median). I live in a small town with no uniform sidewalk plan. Some places have sidewalks while others do not. The places with sidewalks are not well kept and generally are much more hazardous than roads. They start and stop in odd places, and there are also vehicles blocking sidewalks here too. It is up to each individual homeowner to decide if they will put in a sidewalk and whether they will keep it up. Much of the city therefore does not have sidewalks at all. As a result, I usually am sticking to streets.

There are boulevard streets (grassy median with lamp posts in the median) in my town with extra wide roads (wide enough for 2 cars in either direction so people can park and drive past) in a square formation. It is 1.5 miles all the way around and crosses 2 major roads. One of those roads is only well used to a point in the middle of this square area, then jogs to another road outside of that area along one of the other major roads. So in truth, there are only 3 major intersections crossing this 1.5 mile square of boulevards. I stay on the road the entire time, even in those few areas with sidewalks. There are a lot of other pedestrians (both running and walking) along the road as well. I run against traffic and look left, right, and behind me as I come up on each intersection. I slow down significantly and almost always stop at the major intersections whether there is traffic or not. None of the drivers along those high-traffic streets have stop signs or stop lights at those intersections.

Only once have I had a close encounter with a vehicle. I had done a couple laps around the boulevards and was in the last 4 blocks returning home. At 1 block away from the boulevards, I heard a vehicle coming up behind me (this is now a 2-lane road with no divider at all; and I'm running against traffic). I heard the vehicle speed up as it approached, and then it came into view from behind me on my right as I approached the intersection. The vehicle then turned left as I entered the intersection. I slowed to avoid running into the back of the vehicle as it crossed my path. So basically, this driver sped up to make a turn in front of me, crossing my path so closely that I had to slow down rather than approaching the intersection at a more reasonable speed and possibly having to wait a second turn. I wasn't happy about that, and in hindsight, I wish I would have reached out and slapped the back side window of the vehicle. Not hard enough to break the window, but hard enough to get the attention of the driver so maybe she would think about how close she had been in her haste to make that turn.