WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2017

Replies

• Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited February 2017
    pitegny: Your comment about visiting Oregon inspired me to look at my Oregon Driver's license. It was issued in 2011 and doesn't expire until 2019. I'm guessing that your Oregon police officer had plenty of experience with old license photos although yours might take the prize. :bigsmile:

Sharon: I'm not much of a hugger, either. :noway: I wonder why your ex contacted you with his non apology. Do you suppose he is in some sort of 12 step program? :huh:

Heather: You are a good friend to sit with your friend during chemo. I hope she enjoys her upcoming trip to Morocco. I am impressed with her determination to enjoy her life. :star:

Kelly: I love the chicken crossing the road. :heart:

I am looking forward to yoga this morning. I hope nothing interferes with the class. Monday the teacher had a conflict and didn't come & Wednesday DH had his surgery so I was unable to go. I am more than ready for yoga today. I am also up a bit in weight. I need to get on track. Travel and stress are hard on discipline but not good excuses for over indulging. :noway:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Marni – Prayers and {{{{{HUGS}}}}} for your friend’s granddaughter and for a full and speedy recovery.

pitegny – Glad you liked the joke. He was basically daring me to do it; of course, I had to pay regular price for it; but, I had gotten tired of when I had to submit a check and my ID, having the person look at the picture 2 or 3x and look at me. Did not look anything like I did at the time. A 10-year-old photo taken at my heaviest. And I had lied ‘obviously’ about my weight.

Sharon - Your ‘ex’ sounds like a ‘dying’ man asking for forgiveness. What can he do for you? Have a life insurance policy naming you as the beneficiary … that can be his past due child support.

I had to have dialysis when I became “Lithium Toxic” 10 years ago, to try to get the Lithium out of my body quickly. I’m glad they did not have to put me on it for the rest of my life. I was so full of medications, I don’t even remember it.

Sarah – I wonder about the ‘eggs’ and who came first (still). Sarah, I had a friend who was a nurse; kept going back between working at the hospital and working for MDs offices. Said there were pro’s and con’s to both. She’s now retired.

Heather – When I receive a joke that I think is ‘funny’ generally; I will try to share it with everybody. Everybody needs a chuckle. Got sent a video about fishing; but, did not know if or how to post it here. It was hysterical. I might have already deleted however. My husband doubled over in laughter.

My treadmill has arms you can push and pull while walking; but, I get too winded doing it that way.
    I know that I have seen people with ‘spray tans’ that have an orange-ish hue; my DDnL#2 says it is because they did no add something that she does that prevents this. I think I would only trust my DDnL#2 to do a spray tan on me … but, I tan very easily so I don’t really need one.

A trip for your friend with cancer can be an uplift after weeks of chemotherapy. I know it has to be hard on her. I don’t think I could get cancer insurance for me, now, since both sisters have had it and thankfully are survivors.

KJ – That’s funny! I think ‘chicken jokes’ have been around since before I was born. My BF and I used to call people and ask ‘if their refrigerator was running’ … they needed to ‘go run after it’; or if they had “Prince Albert in a can”, they needed to let him out. Now most of my jokes are a lot ‘deeper’ and some a whole lot ‘raunchier’.

NYKAREN – I know when our DOGD left for college, for a while she was driving home every weekend; but, that quickly stopped because when she came home, her step-mom thought she needed to be ‘the maid’; she needed to study and thought it would be ‘quieter’ here. But, never so, because they always had spend-the-weekend company and she got run out of her bedroom. And step-mom constantly *kitten* about what they had to pay for her to be ‘in college’. She got huffy with her and told her that HOPE (state-run lottery program) was paying for her college and ‘if’ she could afford to pay for her car, she would. She pays rent, utilities, small loans; because she does not want to have the accrue interest even if she could put them off until she gets out of school. Her Daddy would get into the middle and tell DDnL#1 that he was not going to have her paying for things and getting frustrated and stressed out to the point of losing the HOPE because of not keeping her grades up. She’s been on the Dean’s List all through college. That is really impressive. But, I am glad I am not ‘in college’ now. She talks about staying up until 4:00am to study. She is a biology major.

Lillian – I am glad that I never had a job that I hated. Some quite stressful; but, loved doing what I was doing. They say if you ‘love’ what you are doing, you never ‘work’ a day in your life. For me, that was true.

Lenora
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Kate UK
  • Charleen2
    Charleen2 Posts: 223 Member
    edited February 2017
    DJ - I missed your post about taking a cruise in April. Where are you headed?

I just put down a deposit to take a land/sea cruise in September. I will fly into Anchorage Alaska and travel to Denali National Park for 3 nights/4 days before heading south again to connect with the ship in Whittier Alaska, then head south for 7 nights, viewing glaciers and such before landing in Vancouver BC.

Charleen in Colorado (Two nights and days of wind has me exhausted - no sleep)
  • tammyclf
    tammyclf Posts: 57 Member
    starr68 - I signed up for the Biggest Loser Challenge a couple days ago too! interesting it starts day before Valentine's Day and my hubby and I have a dinner date with two other couples at a little Italian place - hmmmmmm lol This will be my first MFP challenge!

KJ - GREAT funny chicken pic! lol

Sherry - also LOVE the giraffe pic!

It's my middle son's b'day today - happy hour this eve and eating out - prob brewery and eats tomorrow eve after he gets down from skiing, and then possible winter BBQ up at a mountain reservoir we frequent in the winter on Sunday - gonna be a challenging few days food and drink-wise!
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    :|
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,828 Member
    DJ- was it you that posted that one of your goals was to spend more time at the beach this year? That resonates with me. Like you, I live in a beach town. A five minute walk to the beach. People think I spend a lot of time there, but I really don't. I work 60-70 hours a week, still have to cook, clean, and shop, etc. and live a life like other people do. It is convenient to have it so close, but I usually only get there once a week (on the weekend) if I am lucky and can fit it in. Also, Michigan summers are not always warm, which means Lake Michigan hardly ever gets above the 60's for swimming! KJ
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,828 Member
    DJ- but our lake IS unsalted and shark free!
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,193 Member
    Karen - (((((HUGS)))) for you and your partner as you go through this. <3<3 I do hope it all ends well. What a terrible strain for everyone. Thinking of you. :flowerforyou:

Lots of love, Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • tammyclf
    tammyclf Posts: 57 Member
    Karen in VA - I am so glad you and your partner can travel out to meet your granddaughter, and hopefully you will be able to become more informed as to status then too. I'm sorry you got the little "comment" questioning, but I'm sure it's just out of their distraught, exhaustion and worry - try not to take it personally. Safe travels, and continued prayers for little Olivia - how scary!
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
  • carol11158
    carol11158 Posts: 6 Member
    Hi everyone, I'm just coming off of a ketogenic diet (LCHF less than 20 g of carbs a day) i was on for 3 years without much success. Although I am limiting my carbs to 50 rather than 20, which is much less limiting for me, I'm pretty much making sure I don't go over my calories too. How many of you pay attention to carbs? What's better - to watch the carbs or just eat in moderation (eating good foods) until you've used up your calories for the day?
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,106 Member
    Is this the post for stronglifts for women 50+ or am I at the wrong board? I'd l like to join it but it seems to be about personal matters. Please direct me. Thanks

This is where you want to be. There are plenty of 50+ on this site but it is open for all women! I am there personally. I love the support on that thread as well.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

Mary from Minnesota
  • YinxFed
    YinxFed Posts: 1,054 Member
    Happy Friday my Lovelies!

So I'm just back from the pub where my DH took me for a drink. I had a luscious glass of Shiraz - and that's my lot for tonight too!

So glad that it's Friday although I haven't been exactly rushed off my feet today; just some reporting and research. Did my weights/strength training this morning and had a healthy breakfast cooked by DH.

Our darling little dog, Edie, hurt her leg jumping off DH's lap while in his study (as she's done 1000s of times before) and gave a little whelp and limped for 3 minutes. So we took her to the vet's pronto. She's perfectly fine, her limp's gone and has likely just sprained her leg - and then recovered! Whew! That's why the pub was our next stop.

c8uxxcv8zn96.jpg

Looking forward to a weekend of more beginner's quilting - which reminds me; Charleen, can you please send a picture of your show quilt? I plan to give quilts as Christmas presents this year so I'm really keen to learn as much as I can.

Sarah - as requested "Smarten up!" You always have our support, as you must surely know?

Lisa - so sorry to hear about your husband's wrist. I hope he improves soon - what a procedure!

Heather - You're such an inspiration sitting with your friend through some of her chemo sessions. And she's a trooper for continuing with her holiday plans. Morrocco is truly amazing - a place where you can truly forget yourself and your problems, so I understand why she'd want to go.

Katla - have you considered doing some of the yoga that's available on YouTube? I swear by Yoga by Adriene who's a yogi based in Texas. She's quite amazing, and the only yoga that I follow.

Have super weekends, my darlings!

Yinka - Worcestershire, UK