What is the daftest weight related thing someone has ever said to you?

Options
1192021222325»

Replies

• CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    I had a friend tell me she was adding Hot Cheetos to her weight-loss plan because she needed more protein in her diet. Because cheese. She didn't want to lose muscle while losing pounds and needed more healthy snacks.

I just responded with "maybe you should read the label" . . . . .

cl2ziscwz3lv.jpg

One whole gram!
  • cessi0909
    cessi0909 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    I had a friend tell me she was adding Hot Cheetos to her weight-loss plan because she needed more protein in her diet. Because cheese. She didn't want to lose muscle while losing pounds and needed more healthy snacks.

I just responded with "maybe you should read the label" . . . . .

cl2ziscwz3lv.jpg

That reminds me of one of my daughter's classmates in high school. She decided to become a vegetarian to lose weight. She was complaining one day about how she was so hungry because all she had eaten that day was a salad and some beef jerky. They asked her what plant beef jerky came from. I think she was a bit confused.

I almost just shot water out of my nose!

• Chunkahlunkah
    Chunkahlunkah Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    MFP posts seeking advice on the struggles of trying to eat 1200 or 1000 calories. "I feel so full I'm stuffed how can i get my daily calories in?" Just who do they think they're talking to?

Those are hilarious. If they were stuffed after eating 1200 calories a day they wouldn't be overweight and wouldn't have ever heard of this site. :)

I think about that ALLL THE TIME! If you have trouble eating that little, you wouldn't be overweight. Those are people who don't open up their diary and/or don't log anything correctly.

See, this one I can understand. Satiety, for some people, is strongly linked to *what* they eat, just as much or moreso than *how much* they eat. So if these people have changed their diet to the foods that sate them and limited/removed the ones that rev up their appetite, I find it totally believable that they're experiencing a genuine reduction in their appetite to a suppressing degree.

For example, I've leaned that when I eat a large amount of protein on an empty stomach, it kills my appetite for many hours. And by kills, I mean it makes even the thought of food unappealing and nearly gag-inducing. The feeling kicks in about 2 hours after eating, and my appetite doesn't return for about 8 or more hours. And this can happen on relatively few calories, like in the 300s. Some brief googling suggested I'm probably super sensitive to the hormone Peptide YY, but I'd be curious to learn more about this.

I think for some people, the suppressed appetite they experience is primarily psychologically motivated, but from my own experiences I have no doubt that foods themselves can have a dramatic impact on some people's appetite.

I understand this, too. What I don't understand is why they don't just eat a cookie.

I'd guess that for some, they don't because eating a cookie (or similar food) revs up their appetite to a point where they feel like it controls them. So that would make keeping calories down a major struggle, and for weight loss, the struggle to get calories up can feel like the lesser of two evils. Also, when your appetite is suppressed, eating is really unpleasant, gag-inducing.

I think some of these people just haven't yet figured out how to eat in a way that keeps their appetite in check without supressing it too much. It can take time and experimenting. And faith that it won't grow back to its prior point.

• andrea4736
    andrea4736 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    If you go low carb (or low anything for that matter), you don't have to worry about calories. Anything to do with women gaining all kinds of weight because of the muscle they are packing on. Yeah, I wish it was that easy. Definitely the family/friends who tell you you are getting too skinny. I'm not even in my healthy weight range/BMI yet. That you have to eat and workout at a specific time of day in order to lose weight.
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

:#:D [/quote]

Well, personally, I do try my best not to be deficient in oxygen. [/quote]

I live at 7000' so the air is a bit thin - so THAT'S the problem! :smiley:
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    I'm sure there's some people here, myself included, who have said some of these various things to love ones. We all had to start somewhere, I know I had to learn a lot during this journey.
  • SalinitySally
    SalinitySally Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Not a silly food or exercise thing, but the dumbest thing I was told was that I would become anorexic if I lost any more weight. That was after slowly losing 30 pounds (eating clean) so I was at 180.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    I was walking on campus yesterday and thought of this thread. A guy behind me was on the phone saying that fat needs oxygen to burn, so people can only lose weight if they get their heart rate up for at least 30 min a day. He said that oxygen accounts for 80% of weight loss and the rest is from water, so that drinking a lot of water is also necessary.

:#:D

Well, personally, I do try my best not to be deficient in oxygen.

Oxygen is more addictive than heroin though.

I've never seen anyone sell their kid for oxygen

:)

But withdrawal will kill you in minutes.

spit out my water LOL