Why is my weight loss unsuccessful

Options

Replies

• crooked_left_hook
    crooked_left_hook Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    KT6377 wrote: »
    @misskarne those are the "recommended serving size. So if it says 16 crackers for 160 cals, then I'll count out 16 crackers, lol 1pkg is the packet my protein powder comes in (one packet per use) and the granola bars come 2 in a pack "2 bar"

Theoretically you should be losing weight eating 1200 calories. Based on your weight, calorie intake, and the descriptions of some of the foods you are eating there are likely a few things going on. 1. You are not eating enough calories per day, 2. The calories you are eating are not nutritionally dense, 3. You may be inaccurately weighing some things, 4. You most likely are not tracking every bite that goes in your mouth.

For perspective, I am 137 lbs and 5'6", which is a healthy weight for my height and makes losing weight fairly difficult. I've got 26.5% body fat so I'm clearly NOT an athlete ;) I eat 1250-1500 calories per day and I do moderate exercise for about 1 hour 3x a week. I actually measure more like you do, so I don't weigh every little thing perfectly and I rely quite a bit on containers with predetermined measurements quite a bit but I track EVERYTHING (including cough drops). I'm losing between 0.5 and 1.5 lbs a week. I eat 6 times a day (3 meals and 3 snacks). I cook everything, 90% of what I eat or use to cook is whole, fresh foods (fruits, veggies, meat, etc) and I try and use minimal processed foods (crackers, granola bars). Protein shakes should be used as a supliment to boost protein in addition to a well rounded diet, not as a meal replacement. Food you can chew is always best!

I have worked with a nutrition coach, which is helpful for accountability. Weight watchers also works for me. You're welcome to add me as a friend so you can take a look at my diary and see what kind of things I'm eating and what a typical day looks like.

@KT6377 If she should be losing on 1200 and her diaries are looking like shes eating between 800-900, give or take logging errors.. im confused by your comment of "you're not eating enough calories per day"...

When you drop your carbs too low, which will happen on an extremely low calorie diet, you do go into a form of 'starvation mode' because your leptin hormone levels drop which signals your body to hold onto its fat. This is medically documented and the science behind carb cycling diets. However, this is likely not the case based on her current weight and is more likely a problem with tracking and quality of food.

• Hello_its_Dan
    Hello_its_Dan Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    This whole thread is 100% forest for the trees at this point.
  • scubagram
    scubagram Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list
    Is the accurate, the only comprehensive and accurate database available.
    If you have frozen chicken and intend to cook it, search that database for "chicken, raw".
    You'll get a lot of choices. The one I use is

05039, Chicken, broilers or fryers, light meat, meat only, raw

I copy that from the USDA web site and paste it into the MFP food diary. I even sometimes double-check the mfp nutrition to see that it exactly matches the USDA site.

A neat feature of the USDA site is that you can change the serving size. If you weigh your breast and it's 251 grams, you can change the USDA serving size from 100 to 251 and all the values change to reflect the nutrition in the serving.

I keep tabs open on my browser for the USDA database and for convertunits.com, which is always useful.

Thank you so much for the tip on the USDA site!!
  • crooked_left_hook
    Options
    @KT6377 Can you please link to me this study? Because Starvation mode other then lean muscle loss resulting in Lower BMR based from VLCD is the only thing i have ever heard of.. starvation mode where the body holds onto fat has only ever been proven as a myth.

Here's the first but you'll need access to an academic research database to read the full article (you might have access to one if you are a student):
    http://www.jdcjournal.com/article/1056-8727(94)00077-8/pdf

Same deal here:
    https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/06/080620195455.htm

• crooked_left_hook
    Options

I LOVE the post on "scale-stress syndrome". Do a heavy leg workout? + 2lbs! Eat out? +2lbs! Gotta' poop? +2lbs! Over 70% humidity outside? +2lbs! Period week? My weight creeps up for four days and magically drops 3lbs on day 5! Story. Of. My. Life. I just weigh myself every morning and use the weekly average to calculate my loss.
  • crooked_left_hook
    Options
    KT6377 wrote: »
    @KT6377 Can you please link to me this study? Because Starvation mode other then lean muscle loss resulting in Lower BMR based from VLCD is the only thing i have ever heard of.. starvation mode where the body holds onto fat has only ever been proven as a myth.

Here's the first but you'll need access to an academic research database to read the full article (you might have access to one if you are a student):
    http://www.jdcjournal.com/article/1056-8727(94)00077-8/pdf

Same deal here:
    https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/06/080620195455.htm

While i cant read the first one, the second one uses a lot of words like "Might".. which kind of leads me to believe that this is mostly just a theory. In the two years ive been on this site, so far you are the first person to ever bring up this point of view in regards to 'starvation mode.'.. but i suppose i could of just missed some people mentioning it.. i am not here 24/7

Most academic, peer reviewed articles use that language. Most science is speculation at best and for every piece of research published there is another one trying to disprove it. That's what doing research is all about :)
  • sarahrusse_
    sarahrusse_ Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I don't think you have to weigh your food that's ridiculous, nobody is perfect.

It can take almost up to 2 weeks to even notice weight loss! Keep at it.
    ❤️
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    OP, I only skimmed the responses so I'm not sure if this was already mentioned, but if you've been used to only eating one large meal per day and you're struggling now to eat three, why not go back to one? There's no rule that says you MUST eat three meals a day, never skip breakfast, have two snacks per day, or anything else of the sort. (Or at least, no rule that you have to obey!)

If it helps you, go back to your one meal a day and don't worry about it. The only thing you need to worry about is getting your logging as accurate as possible, and you've been given plenty of advice here on how to do that. :)

Oh, and have patience. Lots and lots of patience!
  • Hello_its_Dan
    Hello_its_Dan Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Whilst I confess to being a lazy logger myself, it does seem odd that somebody on MFP would think weighing food is ridiculous.

It is what the whole calorie counting system depends on.

Forest for the trees...

Thing is I used to think the same things but after going to school for nutrition and psychology....Not so much anymore.

Search the forums for In Place of a Roadmap.
    That's my beginning. I was all about counting calories.
    Now, I don't count calories.
    Not marketing but my clients don't either.

Whatever works for you is great though so you do you.

OPs biggest issue isn't the weight of a slice of bread. It's trying to change too many things at once instead of simply managing activity and eating more nutrient dense food.
    She doesn't need to eat 1200 calories.
    She could lose weight at 1600+ if she simply manages activity. She may even do better at a higher calorie goal seeing as maintenance at her current weight is over double what she's eating now.

Anyway.
    You can bicker over weighing vs counting calories vs assigning a point system vs hand portion sizing if you like.

Forest for the trees
  • wanderingartistry
    Options
    My friend actually lost when she increased her calorie intake. Not drastically.

Your body may be in starvation mode from too few calories. That doesn't sound like 200 calories to me. Assuming you're making something like a 4 eggwhite omlette (80 calories), 5 oz of veggies like brocoli and cauliflower (which have...50 calories per cup or something, if even), and 6 oz of chicken breast throughout the day (about 250 calories), it sounds like you're not getting enough.

I have heard you need to eat your weight x 10 to get even the maintenance amount of calories you need to function. That seems like a place to start.