Squat, Bench, Deadlift, Snatch, C&J: Post your best videos

Options

Replies

• giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    Finally results posted from the State Open. And I'm so happy to see that my Wilks -- excluding the Wolf Open where I was injured -- improved 11 points!

15a5td9io9yv.png

I'm not quite batting 400 yet, but I'll get there now I'm injury free. I realize that for a guy my size, I'm relatively not that strong. Last year was kind of a lost year. Sigh. I hope I can make up for that time this year.

Those are some sick stats USAPL makes available. I love that kind of stuff. Congrats on the increase in wilks. I've been stuck at 352 for a few years and can't seem to get past it.
    Thank you @juliewatkin ! I appreciate it. It's been steady gains, sans injury.

At least you haven't backslide, but plateauing sucks.

It does suck. I'm pretty sure my best meet is still in me. However, I turn 53 this year so I wonder if lack of progression is actually progression in a way in that I'm not losing strength as I age. My recovery has taken quite a kicking though.

It's good to know I'd rank 14th in the USAPL M2 women though :smile:

I'm 45 and that a fear I share too, which is why last year sucked hex plates. Lost a year as I got older.

That's awesome! I didn't bother to check where I rank with M1 Raw Masters my age. Maybe I'll do that.

For this year I'd be 75th across all ages out of 404 . I meant 14th overall (in all years) in M2. I wish we had a slick database like that. It would certainly help my ego. With our sport growing so much and so many new, really good people coming into the sport, average now was very good 5 years ago. I've been competing since 2008 and started as equipped and I now see unequipped raw wilks surpassing equipped from a few years ago.

No kidding. We have these first timers who come into meets and set or break world records. (Wish I was one of them.) I'm on my third year of competing in powerlifting, and starting my second year in the USAPL. Was it you or Sonya that recommended I take the State leave ref test? I'm doing that next month.

Yeah crazy strong people indeed

It was likely Sonya. However, I've been a ref here for about 5 years. It certainly gives you a new appreciation for what you're doing. No doubt yours are looking for more refs just like we are here.
    We are indeed. I also volunteer at meets and contribute content to our state Instagram and Facebook
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Oh yeah, currently I'm ranked 338 out of 828 of all male lifters in the USAPL. Right in the middle of the pack. I've never worked so hard at anything to be just average. Lol

The truth of that statement is astronomical.
    And you're follow up "we just want to get stronger- and stronger" is so true.

There is always 5 pounds to be put on the bar- there is always more room.
    We're iron nerds, we can't help it.

When I am queried by those interested if they are strong enough to compete in powerlifting, I tell them yes, but you'll never be as strong as you want to be, but there is only one way to test how strong you are now and that is too compete.

That's what I say/encourage people- that the first is merely a learning experience- and the reality is you'll never be "strong" enough.

I unfortunately don't have the conversation often because- at this point we have more people at my gym at this point who are wannabe stage competitors- but what happens is they all train and look good and they do it once and think they are hot *kitten* but that's it. it gets a little nauseating after a while. But whatever- they don't squat so I never have to fight with a power cage with them so I don't care.
    I like to eat pop tarts in front of the physique competitors at the gym. You have abs. I have Pop Tarts.

And when they do, squat it's probably better they didn't. Saw enough bro-squats dropping in on a more physique orientated gym yesterday to last a lifetime.

----

Zilla is referring to a geared lifter at his gym hassling him for being a raw lifter.

I got nothing against geared, just don't compare my raw lifts against your geared lifts. Thats apples to oranges. I could put a Titan Ram or Slingshot on and blow your geared lifts away. He's just a jerk.
    Options
    Z_I_L_L_A wrote: »
    Oh yeah, currently I'm ranked 338 out of 828 of all male lifters in the USAPL. Right in the middle of the pack. I've never worked so hard at anything to be just average. Lol

When I am queried by those interested if they are strong enough to compete in powerlifting, I tell them yes, but you'll never be as strong as you want to be, but there is only one way to test how strong you are now and that is too compete.

That's what I say/encourage people- that the first is merely a learning experience- and the reality is you'll never be "strong" enough.

I unfortunately don't have the conversation often because- at this point we have more people at my gym at this point who are wannabe stage competitors- but what happens is they all train and look good and they do it once and think they are hot *kitten* but that's it. it gets a little nauseating after a while. But whatever- they don't squat so I never have to fight with a power cage with them so I don't care.
    I like to eat pop tarts in front of the physique competitors at the gym. You have abs. I have Pop Tarts.

And when they do, squat it's probably better they didn't. Saw enough bro-squats dropping in on a more physique orientated gym yesterday to last a lifetime.

----

Zilla is referring to a geared lifter at his gym hassling him for being a raw lifter.

----

----

I got nothing against geared, just don't compare my raw lifts against your geared lifts. Thats apples to oranges. I could put a Titan Ram or Slingshot on and blow your geared lifts away. He's just a jerk.
    I got that. I hope when you state "your" you are referring to "him" and not me since I lift raw.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    edited February 2017
    Options
    That's why I said " I just wanna put on a 2 ply shirt and shut that dude at the gym up. I should stop lifting raw he says, I'm like huh? "

^This was my original which I said "dude at the gym" maybe I should have put both of these together. I actually have no clue about how you lift or what you lift.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    @nakedraygun I kind of figured it- just felt like it was random and there was more to the story.

There are jerks everywhere unfortunately-

I'm to lazy to gear up on the regular- I lift with a belt- I don't even have wraps- mostly because- I'm lazy. and cheap and I want highlighter for my face and make up be 'spensive.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Options
    Yeah, I was random. Kinda had it in my mind from the other day. I keep to myself mostly but he makes it a point to compare. I'm like dude, you're an idiot, breathe when you lift and stupid *kitten* won't come out of your mouth. lol
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    @nakedraygun I kind of figured it- just felt like it was random and there was more to the story.

I'm to lazy to gear up on the regular- I lift with a belt- I don't even have wraps- mostly because- I'm lazy. and cheap and I want highlighter for my face and make up be 'spensive.

Knee wraps be a drag.
    I'm starting to get too lazy for knee sleeves, squat shoes, wrist wraps, and taking my belt off in between sets.

Last night I did a full upper body accessory workout in my squat shoes. Probably would've worn them home had I not done a few minutes of cardio. Usually squat shoes are sacred and worn as little as possible because I fear I'll never find another pair that fits me right. :D
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Knee wraps be a drag.
    I'm starting to get too lazy for knee sleeves, squat shoes, wrist wraps, and taking my belt off in between sets.

Last night I did a full upper body accessory workout in my squat shoes. Probably would've worn them home had I not done a few minutes of cardio. Usually squat shoes are sacred and worn as little as possible because I fear I'll never find another pair that fits me right. :D

heh- I usually get through my OHP w/ my squat shoes on- and then after that I finally give it up and take them off.
    But yeah- can't be bothered with all the gear unless its a big one rep max trying to really push something- but otherwise- meh- why bother.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    365x7
    405x3
    Options
    Z_I_L_L_A wrote: »
    That's why I said " I just wanna put on a 2 ply shirt and shut that dude at the gym up. I should stop lifting raw he says, I'm like huh? "

^This was my original which I said "dude at the gym" maybe I should have put both of these together. I actually have no clue about how you lift or what you lift.

Thanks for the clarification
    Options

I may go geared in the future, but right now the horizon on my raw strength seems still distant. I want to make sure that I have traveled that expanse first.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    This was tonight's training. It wasn't in the plan but I was feeling full of P&V. Max rep deadlifts. Weight is 227.5 which is what was on the plan tonight. I may have threw up a bit of my tuna sandwich. My conditioning is for crap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FzKTuReCuo
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    I think comparing equipped to raw lifting is apples to oranges in EVERY aspect. You might have a LOT of untapped potential with raw lifting, but equipped lifting is a totally different sport. I don't think equipped lifters transition from raw to equipped to "lift heavier weights" in most cases. I think it's because it can be, to some, more exciting. The mechanics of a bench press in a bench shirt is completely different than a raw bench. Knee-wrapped squats with a suit require a much more slow and controlled eccentric portion. I don't know, it just seems like a moot point to try and compare the two.

It's kind of like saying you're going to stick to baseball before starting football because you have a lot of growing you can do in baseball.

Another thing I'm confused about - are we calling "geared lifting" the same thing as "equipped lifting" or are we talking about steroids? If that's the case, everything I've written above can be scratched.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I think comparing equipped to raw lifting is apples to oranges in EVERY aspect. You might have a LOT of untapped potential with raw lifting, but equipped lifting is a totally different sport. I don't think equipped lifters transition from raw to equipped to "lift heavier weights" in most cases. I think it's because it can be, to some, more exciting. The mechanics of a bench press in a bench shirt is completely different than a raw bench. Knee-wrapped squats with a suit require a much more slow and controlled eccentric portion. I don't know, it just seems like a moot point to try and compare the two.

It's kind of like saying you're going to stick to baseball before starting football because you have a lot of growing you can do in baseball.

Another thing I'm confused about - are we calling "geared lifting" the same thing as "equipped lifting" or are we talking about steroids? If that's the case, everything I've written above can be scratched.

Agreed.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    This weekend I flew to chicago to handle @thedreamhazer at her USAPL meet.

7/9 for the day which for her is the worst she's done (this was her 8th meet and in her previous 7 meets she's been 8/9 or 9/9). And if 7/9 is considered bad, you're pretty damn good, IMO.

Squat and Bench matched previous meet PRs however these both moved with MUCH better bar speed than previously. We were aiming for a good 10 to 15lb PR on the squat but she got called on depth on attempt 2 so we played it safe and re-took it without adding weight (generally this is the smart way to do things although there are a few exceptions).

Deads she hit a PR at 190kg/419lbs. She had a goal to get to a 400kg total and this was the meet, with a total of 405kg.

Here's a video of the final deadlift. One red light on the far side for the bar dipping, but two whites is all you need!! =)

https://youtu.be/o-_eDePlXJw

Was this at B&W or Lance's Gym?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

7/9 for the day which for her is the worst she's done (this was her 8th meet and in her previous 7 meets she's been 8/9 or 9/9). And if 7/9 is considered bad, you're pretty damn good, IMO.

Squat and Bench matched previous meet PRs however these both moved with MUCH better bar speed than previously. We were aiming for a good 10 to 15lb PR on the squat but she got called on depth on attempt 2 so we played it safe and re-took it without adding weight (generally this is the smart way to do things although there are a few exceptions).

Deads she hit a PR at 190kg/419lbs. She had a goal to get to a 400kg total and this was the meet, with a total of 405kg.

Here's a video of the final deadlift. One red light on the far side for the bar dipping, but two whites is all you need!! =)

B&W -- I absolutely LOOOOOVED this gym, holy crap.

It was like a dungeon of powerlifting.

The meet was also run exceptionally well. If I were in that area I would definitely train at this gym and support it.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

B&W -- I absolutely LOOOOOVED this gym, holy crap.

It was like a dungeon of powerlifting.

The meet was also run exceptionally well. If I were in that area I would definitely train at this gym and support it.

Funny, I never noticed how close B&W was to my current gym. Probably 2 miles down the road or so.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options

This is very well put. As mentioned earlier, I was an equipped competitor before I was an unequipped competitor simply because our federation didn't have unequipped at the time. (IPF affiliate).

With the possible exception of deadlift, the other lifts are quite a bit different in gear than raw. For the most part, lifting in gear is painful. When I squat in a suit, my legs look like I've been whipped with a stick. When I bench in a shirt, my chest and arms look the same. The design of the gear is to compact and create stored energy. Benching in a shirt isn't lowering the bar to your chest so much as trying to row it down to get it to touch the 'bubble'. If it goes off the bubble, the bar can dump very quickly to either your belly or your face. For those who have competed, the bench safeties were put in place because someone dumped 400lbs on their face. (My husband was at that meet). It doesn't happen slowly. It happens fast AF because you're pulling the bar to a bubble of tension. One year at Provincials, my hips shifted a bit at the bottom of a squat and I pitched forward with 308lbs and landed on my face and the bar hit the floor behind me. There is a higher likelihood of very fast accidents.

When I started competing unequipped it was lovely. It just felt like a normal training day without all the timing issues to worry about. Squat is the worst: when to wrap your knees, when to put up your straps, when to belt.

Despite what some people think, you can't just throw on gear and be instantly better. It's like learning a new skill and you have to be considerably more mentally on the ball. I had planned to do an equipped meet in January after not having it on for a couple of years and I still had to retrain so much. I eventually just went unequipped because my bench shirt killed the bursa sac in my right elbow. It blew right up.

It's still a lot of fun but better done with training partners and experienced competitors.