Squat, Bench, Deadlift, Snatch, C&J: Post your best videos

Options

Replies

• _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I think comparing equipped to raw lifting is apples to oranges in EVERY aspect. You might have a LOT of untapped potential with raw lifting, but equipped lifting is a totally different sport. I don't think equipped lifters transition from raw to equipped to "lift heavier weights" in most cases. I think it's because it can be, to some, more exciting. The mechanics of a bench press in a bench shirt is completely different than a raw bench. Knee-wrapped squats with a suit require a much more slow and controlled eccentric portion. I don't know, it just seems like a moot point to try and compare the two.

It's kind of like saying you're going to stick to baseball before starting football because you have a lot of growing you can do in baseball.

Another thing I'm confused about - are we calling "geared lifting" the same thing as "equipped lifting" or are we talking about steroids? If that's the case, everything I've written above can be scratched.

Despite what some people think, you can't just throw on gear and be instantly better. It's like learning a new skill and you have to be considerably more mentally on the ball. I had planned to do an equipped meet in January after not having it on for a couple of years and I still had to retrain so much. I eventually just went unequipped because my bench shirt killed the bursa sac in my right elbow. It blew right up.

That's why I think it interests so many people. It's different. Similarly, I think it should be noted that raw lifting has only recently grown in popularity with lifters such as Ray Williams, Brett Gibbs, Heather Connor, and the likes doing such amazing things in their respective weight classes. Equipped lifting was the norm for a long time (if my reading material is accurate).
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I think comparing equipped to raw lifting is apples to oranges in EVERY aspect. You might have a LOT of untapped potential with raw lifting, but equipped lifting is a totally different sport. I don't think equipped lifters transition from raw to equipped to "lift heavier weights" in most cases. I think it's because it can be, to some, more exciting. The mechanics of a bench press in a bench shirt is completely different than a raw bench. Knee-wrapped squats with a suit require a much more slow and controlled eccentric portion. I don't know, it just seems like a moot point to try and compare the two.

It's kind of like saying you're going to stick to baseball before starting football because you have a lot of growing you can do in baseball.

Another thing I'm confused about - are we calling "geared lifting" the same thing as "equipped lifting" or are we talking about steroids? If that's the case, everything I've written above can be scratched.

Despite what some people think, you can't just throw on gear and be instantly better. It's like learning a new skill and you have to be considerably more mentally on the ball. I had planned to do an equipped meet in January after not having it on for a couple of years and I still had to retrain so much. I eventually just went unequipped because my bench shirt killed the bursa sac in my right elbow. It blew right up.

That's why I think it interests so many people. It's different. Similarly, I think it should be noted that raw lifting has only recently grown in popularity with lifters such as Ray Williams, Brett Gibbs, Heather Connor, and the likes doing such amazing things in their respective weight classes. Equipped lifting was the norm for a long time (if my reading material is accurate).

It's gone in phases like anything else. Clearly it started unequipped. I've heard old school stories about men wrapping tennis balls at the backs of their knees as an early equipped effort. The gear has changed like crazy. I typically squatted in a Titan Super Centurion which is a million miles ahead of the suits they wore 20 years ago which were like thick, tight, singlets. At the moment it is heavy unequipped but I imagine the pendulum will swing back again as more and more people start to think, "I want to lift more and I wonder what if...":
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

Back in the day a powerlifter told me to try out his shirt and see how I liked it. I did, my raw bench at the time was 355, with the shirt on it was 425. Only used it the one time. So in my case it did increase instantly. Never purchased one, eventually raw touch n go reached 505 lbs. Today 4 years back into it, I can do 390 TNG. I have a Titan Ram and can do 455. I don't use it that much though.

My original post the other day was a lifter comparing my raw lifts with his shirt,titan ram or slingshot lifts. I told him that Raw,Single ply, double ply are totally different. I had no problem until he bragged that he could out lift me. He wanted to use the slingshot against my raw lifts. I was like both raw or both slingshot. Equal playing field...the dude was a jerk anyway.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Massive volume pr here. And rep pr. last of 8 sets at 130kg. Yes these reps are slightly high but every other rep was to depth.

• giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options

This is very well put. As mentioned earlier, I was an equipped competitor before I was an unequipped competitor simply because our federation didn't have unequipped at the time. (IPF affiliate).

With the possible exception of deadlift, the other lifts are quite a bit different in gear than raw. For the most part, lifting in gear is painful. When I squat in a suit, my legs look like I've been whipped with a stick. When I bench in a shirt, my chest and arms look the same. The design of the gear is to compact and create stored energy. Benching in a shirt isn't lowering the bar to your chest so much as trying to row it down to get it to touch the 'bubble'. If it goes off the bubble, the bar can dump very quickly to either your belly or your face. For those who have competed, the bench safeties were put in place because someone dumped 400lbs on their face. (My husband was at that meet). It doesn't happen slowly. It happens fast AF because you're pulling the bar to a bubble of tension. One year at Provincials, my hips shifted a bit at the bottom of a squat and I pitched forward with 308lbs and landed on my face and the bar hit the floor behind me. There is a higher likelihood of very fast accidents.

When I started competing unequipped it was lovely. It just felt like a normal training day without all the timing issues to worry about. Squat is the worst: when to wrap your knees, when to put up your straps, when to belt.

It's still a lot of fun but better done with training partners and experienced competitors.

After reading your experiences, I may never go equipped.
  • juliewatkin
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Massive volume pr here. And rep pr. last of 8 sets at 130kg. Yes these reps are slightly high but every other rep was to depth.

Sweet. I do the same thing as you when it gets heavy; I lean forward a bit just to support the weight. Your depth wasn't horrible. The fatigue lean makes it hard to get down.

Your squat seems like it's come a long way.
  • juliewatkin
    Options

After reading your experiences, I may never go equipped.
    I don't know if I'll compete equipped again. I find it much harder on my body; particularly my shoulders. Just having so much of a heavier weight on my back squatting makes them ache and I'd end up with referred pain in my hands because of it. Age. What can I say :)
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Options

Sweet. I do the same thing as you when it gets heavy; I lean forward a bit just to support the weight. Your depth wasn't horrible. The fatigue lean makes it hard to get down.

Your squat seems like it's come a long way.

My squat has definitely come a long way! This weight is over my current platform pr and right now opening just under that isn't making me break out into cold sweats. What can I say, Mike may be a slightly sadistic programmer but the programs work.

This was actually the best set in terms of squat mornings on the seconds and thirds and a lot of the lean on this set is caused by my bar position - I went back to old habits here and placed it lower than my delts.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

yes- to answer the question.

The 17 year old was I was specifically talking about "gear" as in steroids- he was diving into equipped lifting- but seriously wanted to jump into the chemical tank right off the bat.

But I like what Naked said about it- I know I did full knee wraps for 315 for "fun" and I have it on video- getting wrapped well is about the same pain level as a brazillian wax.

seriously. *kitten*'s not comfortable.

But I definitely wasn't prepared for the difference and if I was going to go down even the wrapped world- not even the squat suits/bench shifts- just wraps would take some time to adjust. I don't think I realized how much of an apples to oranges difference it made.

And for me- as mentioned above- my body has untapped potential- but a big part of that- is time. I need to lift and be gone- I still have 2-3 hours of dance training to get to after I lift- I need to actually be done in under 2 hours- lifting with equipment other than a belt is time consuming.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    In the mean time.... Here is 225 for what is supposed to be 20. I got to 12.. And I think I only for to 19. I'll be repeating this at my home gym on Thursday. So we'll see!

• JB035
    JB035 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    @JoRocka how did you post your stuff from Insta? I tried earlier it didn't work.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    @JB035 I hit the three dots in the corner and click 'copy URL' then paste onto the dialogue box. Nothing fancy.
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I don't have anything that exciting to share, but I am still training... reloading deadlift and squat. And since I am reloading, I like to use the Iron Path app to see how bar path is. First set of deadlifts from Saturday.

Sets 3-4.

I trained squat on Wednesday and went off program worked up to an easy single of 415 (no video). Definitely had another in me. And since both squat and deadlift are moving so well, I think after this week I will be accelerating the reload.

I'm still following 531 (in 351 format) but with some tweaks on the primaries. I use a combination of the SVG and BBB accessories packages for bench and squat. For deadlift, I run BBB for the Snatch-Grip deadlift and I selected that movement for the following carry-over in order of importance: 1) Develop better lockout at the top on DL; 2) Body build upper back for bigger bench press by developing upper back size; 3) reps are done for speed, faster off the floor. This whole program is somewhat patterned after Wendlers Monolith, but I had to scale some of the work because of shoulder/upper tricep injury I am nursing through. (Inverted rows as opposed to pull-ups.) So, yeah, its a very body building approach, with a big emphasis on upper back and developing Mark Bell-like sized triceps. Bench press I come for you!

hmv-iv-training-panel1.jpg

You can read the full details here.
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    @nakedraygun I kind of figured it- just felt like it was random and there was more to the story.

There are jerks everywhere unfortunately-

I'm to lazy to gear up on the regular- I lift with a belt- I don't even have wraps- mostly because- I'm lazy. and cheap and I want highlighter for my face and make up be 'spensive.
    I may go geared in the future, but right now the horizon on my raw strength seems still distant. I want to make sure that I have traveled that expanse first.

that has been my experience and opinion first.

Watching to many people try to hard when they haven't just tried hard enough on their own.

I find it interesting when the 17 year old who was trying to powerlift talk about starting to cycle gear. Like dude you're 17- just eat and lift.

I know that there are people who lift with wraps and all those things who are lifting 100 pounds more than I am. Lifting with extra things won't get me 100 extra pounds. I trust the cycles of my training to get me stronger- it's boring and not exciting- but it has continued to work- so I trust in my body to be stronger than it is.
    It's because they only think about training (now) in the short-term and not as a life-long pursuit. Those of us who put in the work and accumulate the reps over a longer period of time will ultimately be stronger and still training in the future. That turkey won't.
  • juliewatkin
    edited February 2017
    Options

I know that there are people who lift with wraps and all those things who are lifting 100 pounds more than I am. Lifting with extra things won't get me 100 extra pounds. I trust the cycles of my training to get me stronger- it's boring and not exciting- but it has continued to work- so I trust in my body to be stronger than it is.
    It's because they only think about training (now) in the short-term and not as a life-long pursuit. Those of us who put in the work and accumulate the reps over a longer period of time will ultimately be stronger and still training in the future. That turkey won't.

Additionally, there are some things you do that you can't unring the bell. My employer is a natural bodybuilder who got his pro-cards a number of years ago. He said the temptation is always there to get bigger and better. He just doesn't think you can make an easy transition back the other way. It's more of a mental and emotional thing. If you've already driven the F1 cars, can you go back to driving your Honda.
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    And some bench from me too... 270x7

290x3, 300x3: rep PR +1

315x1, failed second rep.

• piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Ugh, no bench for the past 8 weeks. My best lift (tear). MRI tomorrow with injections for a contrast. Hope it's nothing more than inflammation.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Options
    Ugh, no bench for the past 8 weeks. My best lift (tear). MRI tomorrow with injections for a contrast. Hope it's nothing more than inflammation.

Boo :( hope it's nothing