WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2017

Options

Replies

• grogers511
    grogers511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Last meal. Protein shake with chia seeds and ground flaxseed - and 1 oz almonds.

Ginger in Texas.
    sk2ewto1gxf9.jpg

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,906 Member
    Options
    :)Rori, thank you for the kind words.

:)Kate, sorry about your pain and your medical diagnosis and best wishes as you change to a different eating plan.

:)Beth, I rarely eat bread, occasionally eat brown rice, never eat pasta, and eat a sugary dessert about once a year. It is an eating plan that has worked well for me. I don't miss any of the things I don't eat.

:)Lenora, I read a lot of the same authors that you do, along with "The Cat Who....", and Robert B. Parker.

1056287i3zmwzup2m.gifStats for today:
    17,000 steps
    185 minutes walking Sasha and Bess
    139 minutes riding the exercise bike
    10 minutes doing physical therapy exercises
    80 squats
    one minute plank

<3 Barbie from chilly NW Washington
  • Beachlady24
    Beachlady24 Posts: 29 Member
    Options

Gloria in WA - I'm with you on the Vitamin D. I take 5,000/day now because my new doctor took away my prescription for 50,000/wk. My body doesn't absorb certain vitamins well so I take Spirulina and Chlorella. Natural Algae that covers a bunch of stuff.

DJ- Thank you for the kind welcome. I got to go to Myrtle Beach (for work) about 10 years ago and stayed at The Plantation... That was special, Everyone loves Myrtle Beach! I was a military brat and lived lots of places. My family is on the West Coast and my Husband's is on the East Coast. I was in the Chapel Hill, NC area for about 15 years then took a job in Long Beach, CA to be close to my Mom.

Karen in Virginia- Photos are amazing, The mom is so at peace and beautiful. and Thank You :)

Debbi Flintstone- You are one Beautiful strong cookie! I like raw fruits and veggies to kick start a slump

Becca_ the beads sound like a great idea! What a happy way to remember the struggle and accomplishment :)

Ginger- Soup looks awesome

Joyce - Thank you for the kind words. I will look into it. I blow up the font on my computer to read, but books are hard...
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,530 Member
    Options
    Jjjjjjj
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Gloria in WA: I take about 6000 IU of Vitamin D3 daily in the dark months of winter. As the sunlight increases I take less. At this point I'm probably averaging 5,000 IU daily because I take 3 capsules one day and two the next, alternating. (My capsules are 2000 IU each.) Later on I'll reduce the dose again as the days get longer. I've found D3 to be very helpful. :flowerforyou:

Karen: thanks for the photo of Olivia and Katie. :heart:

Becca: Your lunch looks beautiful! :star:

Kate UK: I had to have my gallbladder removed because of gallstones. When the gallstone was in a position to block a duct it was extremely painful. :sick: It turned out there was only one stone and it was the size of a robin's egg. It is the only surgery I've had, and I'm very happy I had it done. I wish you luck. :heart:

I'm up late and need to get my sleep. I'm planning to meet Sue in WA tomorrow!!! I'm really excited about it. :bigsmile:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

"The greatest weapon against stress is our ability to choose one thought over another." - William James
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Night all - I'm gonna take this old body and go to bed! Think I'll meditate first.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,197 Member
    Options
    Kate - UK - I've had my gallbladder out. Loads of stones, bright yellow and shaped like pyramids. I still have them in a jar! :D

Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Lisa - Corey is making great progress if he is sleeping without painkillers. That is fantastic news.

Heather - Bea's first birthday. How exciting!

Margaret - Sending prayers for your DH and also for you.

Pip - Sounds like it was a good meeting. I hope you get the position that you want and that everything works out. It seems most companies don't give much thought to the dignity or feelings of even long term employees.
    We just had a major round of cuts at our head office, waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Chris - Too funny about the book club. Isn't it weird what people choose to accept about us?

Joyce - Please tell Sherry that we miss her and care about her. I'm glad that she has someone to comfort her.

Lenora - Glad to hear that your headache went away.

Lois - Yes, we have a lot of sun. The Canada geese are supposed to migrate but tend to stick around. I love it when I am lucky enough to see the trumpeter swans on the river. We often take a cruise in our convertible in the summer to either Waterton International Peace Park or to the Crow's Nest Pass.

Gloria- I got my Vitamin D today. I walked along the road while Chico chased gophers ( don't worry , he didn't catch any)

Karen in Virginia - That is a lovely photo of Olivia and Katie.

Kate - I'm sorry you have gall stones. My DDIL went on a very specific diet for hers until they finally took out her gall bladder.

Rori - Praying for your niece to find healing and peace.

Trying to get our paper work all in order to send off to our accountant. Larry's organization of his papers has me baffled but I am slowly getting the tangle straightened out.

Les stopped in this morning to give me the $$ for the flowers I delivered on Valentine's Day. He still can't believe that $45 got them flowers for both ladies. Costco. He and my sister are going to look at a venue for my niece's wedding. I still can't believe she is planning on pulling together this wedding in this short a time frame but if anyone can it will be her. I think my DD and I will be doing the wedding cake. This will be the 3rd one that we have done together. I won't be surprised if DS gets asked to DJ. I really like the idea that we may be able to take our trailer up.

We went to McDonald's and got our free coffee. I still am not crazy for coffee with only milk in it. I doctor it with vanilla and cinnamon at home. We drove out to Mountain Estates and gawked at the huge houses out there. We picked out our favourites and continued toward the river. Larry let Chico out and we walked as he joyously chased gophers. Car wash time and then a visit at our son's. Sweet Harmony gave me lots of her hugs and let me babysit some of her "babies". She is very excited about her mother's new pet sitting venture.

I am not sure how long I can hold out before I have my regular dessert for the month. Larry talked about going to Tim Horton's for a doughnut but I talked him into the free coffee and an Eatmore bar instead. I don't like them at all. I am finding this No Sugar a big challenge. My DD is having withdrawal headaches from having no caffeine or chocolate. Tomorrow is her Pee in a Jerry Can day and then she can have coffee again.

Today I found out that a school mate died. Kelly was only 63. He had been into Cocaine and went through rehab. 2 years ago he had a double lung transplant and then a liver transplant. I knew him very well when we were younger and his brother is still my younger brother's best friend. Last summer I went to his Mom's funeral, she was 99. I thought life had turned around for him. It is sad.

I talked to my brother today. He sounded so old. He has started the peritenal? dialysis at home. He says it will get better as he gets his routine down. I hope so. He did go to Seniors yesterday to play crib. He made himself walk there. We don't know yet if my son will be a match.

Larry's brother has decided not to come here for his MRI even though it is supposed to be the best machine in Western Canada. He is still waiting for a doctor to get back . I think he is going to a private clinic in Lloydminster.

-Sharon in Lethbridge (hoping you all didn't fall asleep reading this long winded essay)
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all good wishes re my gallstones, I am worried about what to eat and not sabotage weight loss. Any and all advice welcome, will get an appointment with GP this week and discuss options, meanwhile taking painkillers

Kate UK
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    Kate UK - I only had intermittent pain with my gallstones, which was very acute and lasted about 15 mins. Once I was taken off a train at Waterloo and taken to hospital in an ambulance. The paramedics thought it was a heart attack!
    I found I could eat most things, except for "rich" and spicy food. Curry was out for a while. :'(:s Nothing swimming in fat. I did ok on normal food. After the op, which went fine, I was able to eat anything again. I don't restrict my fats now. Don't even think about it. :D Just get an investigation scheduled as soon as possible (not easy I know, a bit of persistence needed) and get that thing out! <3

DH did his exercise this morning, but very slowly. He is very coldy. :( Weather here overnight was atrocious. Rain, wind. Yuk!
    My Portsmouth friend has gone to the Isle of Wight on her own to celebrate her 68th birthday. It's just south of here. Not great weather, but I think the hotel does massages etc. A good day for a massage. :)

Still thinking about how to get to my niece's 18th birthday meal on Thursday. One problem is that DH doesn't get on with my large extended family, although he likes my brother etc ok. So it's got to be easy. :*;) I think we will get the local bus, which is free to old age pensioners, get my brother to pick us up in Southampton and I will pay the huge cost of a taxi back home afterwards. :* That might work.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Kate - agree completely with Heather. Start doing whatever you need to in order to get your gall bladder evicted. I went through it, too, it's one of the recognized post-op results of having the bariatric surgery. The pain is excruciating--but because it's not life-threatening, the medicos tend to push you off and hold you at arm's length. I likened it to having a balloon expanding under your ribs, with razor blades on every surface, and it continues expanding. Fight for it. Gallstones don't shrink without medical assisstance... and every time they block the bile ducts, the pain comes back.

Just popping in this morning before doing a little packing. Corey and I are going to do a little road trip, pop up to Ruidoso, New Mexico, and spend the night. There's a lovely hotel there overlooking a lake, places to walk, just get away for a night. It's been a long time since we just took a little time together.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in West Texas
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,047 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,828 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies! Happy Sunday! Well, I weighed in and I am at 228. So...my February weight loss is two pounds. A little disappointed, but considering that I added more strength training last month, then the "memorial" eating, which was heavy carb (not good for me). I will take that two pound loss and see what I can do in March.
    Quads are a bit sore today due to the continued squat challenge and the more regular walks.
    Tracking systems- I think I have mentioned before, I track my water using colored hair bands on my water bottle. (I use blue ones for water). I have a 20 oz water bottle and I put 6 hair bands near the top of the bottle; as I finish a full bottle, I move a band down to the bottom, refill the bottle and continue. I try to have 60 oz in me by noon. I usually average between 80 and 120 oz a day. I do know, the more water I drink, the less I eat.
    Sarah- I was just thinking about starting some of my herbs! I wish I had a south facing window that the kids couldn't get at...maybe I can rig a hanging shelf...out of their reach...something to think about.
    Marni- Hey lady! Good to see you!
    Well, I think that's all I have! I posted twice yesterday and talked myself out. Oh, the carne asada turned out very nice! A hit with the family. Another recipe we will be trying this week is Tikka masala. Making my own masala. They have bottled brands, but I am always leery of those sauces bc they always seem to be too salty. I have all of the ingredients and spices, so why not try my hand at making my own. It calls for butter and heavy cream/yogurt. My son has given up dairy for lent, so thinking about switching up the dairy with something else; coconut milk or almond milk? Anyone have any experience making masala and thoughts on what would work best as a substitution? NYKaren or Heather?
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,906 Member
    Options
    :)Sharon, I gave up drinking coffee a few years ago when I realized that my favorite part of drinking coffee was the flavored creamers I used. I cut my coffee drinking down a little every day to ward off headaches and when I got down to no coffee, I never turned back. Not drinking coffee in the morning has made it a lot easier to take the dogs out for a two hour walk in the morning.

<3 Barbie in NW Washington---ready to walk dogs
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Good morning Ladies!

Popping in before I have to get myself in gear to finish up the paperwork for the accountant. I closed my business last year so it shouldn't take too long and thankfully this is the last year I have to post for the business. Yippee! I always dreaded it and after 20 years I'm glad this will be the last time.

I weighed in this morning and have officially lost all the weight I gained last year, 8.8 lbs. One full pound lost this week.I am now at my original goal of losing 43 lbs. which I met on December 31, 2015. I set a new goal of losing 5 more lbs and will probably set a new one after that. I still have a layer of fat and am at the top of the healthy BMI range so it's not like I'm trying to go ridiculously low.

Funny how when I was in my 30's I was 15 lbs, lighter and because of the height/weight charts back then was made to believe I was overweight. How times and sensibility have changed, thank Goodness. I may have enjoyed my 30's more if I had known, oh well, water under the bridge.

Good day to everyone!

Chris in 13 degree MA, I miss the 70 degree weather we had 2 weeks ago. Gotta love New England!
  • cityjaneLondon
    edited March 2017
    Options
    KJ - I never make masala as I'm not keen on it, but I would think you can substitute the coconut milk/cream. But why not make a lower fat curry?

My lunch was heavenly, but more calories than I'm used to. Tricolore salad. Real Old School Italian food. :D We get the most fabulous local, organic, buffalo mozzarella round here. To die (live) for. <3 I have fresh basil on my kitchen window sill.
    For dinner we have Spanish style Chicken bake from the Hairy Bikers. (On Google) I have their first Hairy Dieters' book and there are some excellent calorie counted recipes in there. I use the Chicken, the Lamb Tagine, the Paella and have taken their idea of using cornflour to thicken milk for a white sauce instead of bechamel.
    They are a motor biking duo, on our British TV, who cook. At one time they decided they needed to lose weight. They have published 3 diet books.
    If you Google the bake (400 calories of heaven) I sustitute red pepper for green and use skinless, boneless organic chicken thighs, plus I use a mini cooking chorizo. It takes an hour to cook.

Watching my German programmes again this pm. 2 more episodes. :D

Love Heather UK

Chris - My BMI is 23.5. I'm happy with that, though a pound or two less wouldn't hurt. It is not recommended, as I expect you know, for women to go too low in their latter years, because of bone health. <3 Apart from looking scraggy! :laugh:
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,826 Member
    Options
    Sunday, sunny, and frigid in CT
  • queenegreene
    queenegreene Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Lost my post, will try to remember what I wrote, but cannot remember what comments were to whom :(

Love the tracker and bead ideas. Will be using both

Sinus issues and colds -I have sinus surgery scheduled for end of April, removing polyps (had done before in 2009, they are back). Not looking forward to it! This winter has been so warm that many allergens were not 'killed off', really messing with my allergies and Asthma

Love the looks of the chocolate and mint bites. Only combo I would like more than that would be chocolate and peanut butter :)

Heather UK, thanks for acknowledging your son's dogs when you visit even though you are not a dog person. Dog people love their doggies <3 . I'm sure he considers them his immediate family, so your acknowledgement likely warms his heart. My DDD's (dear difficult daughter) dogs (one is a handsome Shiba Inu lives with DH and me and the other is a very fluffy Pomeranian puppy who lives in DDD's purse :o wherever DDD roams ) has helped us all cope a bit better through the sadness of my DDD's miscarriages

Olivia and mom, beautiful!

Gall bladder :( still have mine, but have a number of friends who are happy to have had their's removed.

Had dinner with dear friends last night and made good choices from menu, then had 2 bites only of a delicious chocolate cake, DH ate the rest. I'm down 1 lb this week, yayyy

Have a great Sunday
    queene in PA