Ask a mortician

Options

Replies

• LittleHearseDriver
    LittleHearseDriver Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    You never responded to my Richard Gere question. boredsmiley.gif

I'll cross the Richard Gere bridge when I come to it.
  • klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Options
    I've never had to divide ashes 11 ways before. Putting this guy in a plastic bag makes me feel like a drug dealer, but it's what the family wanted. I had to get creative and make my own funnel to get the ashes into the little keepsake urns without making a mess.

Wow, you do have an interesting job. And the little urns are rather nice.

But to be honest, the thought of keeping the ashes seems sort of creepy to me. Just my personal preference. My mother's cousin passed away recently, and instead of a service they had him cremated and scattered at sea, by the Neptune Society. He was an avid sailor, so that was fitting for him.
  • klkarlen
    Options
    Kasner1975 wrote: »
    klkarlen wrote: »
    I've never had to divide ashes 11 ways before. Putting this guy in a plastic bag makes me feel like a drug dealer, but it's what the family wanted. I had to get creative and make my own funnel to get the ashes into the little keepsake urns without making a mess.

Wow, you do have an interesting job. And the little urns are rather nice.

But to be honest, the thought of keeping the ashes seems sort of creepy to me. Just my personal preference. My mother's cousin passed away recently, and instead of a service they had him cremated and scattered at sea, by the Neptune Society. He was an avid sailor, so that was fitting for him.

Creepy? To each their own I suppose... I keep a small urn each for my daughter and father on my night stand, and I never leave the house without my bracelet with my daughter's ashes in it.

ygxmrw27zknc.jpg

I meant no disrespect, and perhaps it is because I have not lost a person that is that close to me yet, and might feel differently if that were the case. Your bracelet is a lovely work of art.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    When they take out organs for donation, do you guys sew them up or do the coroners?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • LittleHearseDriver
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    When they take out organs for donation, do you guys sew them up or do the coroners?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

We sew them up. It's my least favorite thing about autopsies because it takes forever and my hand cramps up. Plus it's hard to make them look good after their bodies have been through all of that.
  • klkarlen
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

We sew them up. It's my least favorite thing about autopsies because it takes forever and my hand cramps up. Plus it's hard to make them look good after their bodies have been through all of that.

I'm surprised the hospital does not let the interns do that for the practice. I guess surgical glue is not something you could use?
  • LittleHearseDriver
    Options
    Coffee, water, and beer.
  • LittleHearseDriver
    Options
    c9p6owxjcz8n.jpg

@cee134 This ad made me think of you.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Resurrecting... Haha!

:D
  • JLAJ81
    JLAJ81 Posts: 2,477 Member
    Options
    There is a guy that works at a funeral that I've had to go to way too many times. He is known for stealing desserts that are there for the families. These aren't desserts provided by the funeral home, they are desserts given to the families by family members and friends. He doesn't just eat them he steals the whole dessert and takes it home. While at my moms funeral last week I caught him stealing cookies. Of course I snapped a pic.

f5ostvah7gz4.jpg
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    ^ Maybe he considers it one of the perks of the job. Stay classy, funeral guy.

P.S. Sorry about your Mom. <3
  • Allgaun
    Allgaun Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I don't think food is allowed in funeral parlors in NY, at least every one I've been to has a sign saying "According to state law, no food allowed"
  • LittleLionHeart1
    LittleLionHeart1 Posts: 3,655 Member
    Options
    JLAJ81 wrote: »
    There is a guy that works at a funeral that I've had to go to way too many times. He is known for stealing desserts that are there for the families. These aren't desserts provided by the funeral home, they are desserts given to the families by family members and friends. He doesn't just eat them he steals the whole dessert and takes it home. While at my moms funeral last week I caught him stealing cookies. Of course I snapped a pic.

f5ostvah7gz4.jpg

I'm just giving you this.
    qsr15jgvflnr.gif
    Sorry to hear about your mom.
  • LittleHearseDriver
    Options
    Every funeral home has their own policy about food, most corporate funeral homes will fire an employee if they are caught eating their food. Where I work we don't eat anything unless they tell us we are welcome to help ourselves and even then I feel bad about grabbing a brownie or piece of fried chicken. We don't eat in front of them either if we do get something. It's a quick grab and run job.

Keep in mind, its hard for us to find time to eat when you're working a visitation or funeral. There have been many times I've had to go without because things have simply been too busy.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    Options
    Sorry if someone asked this one before.

I'm a huge investigation discovery channel junkie & was wondering if you ever had to work on a body that came into foul play & they still haven't solved the case.

Also what's the youngest & oldest person you've ever had to work with?
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    Options
    jamcdonel wrote: »
    Hi Hearse,

Kind of a broad question here. How much does an average (empty) coffin weigh? I have been a pallbearer many times, and always find myself wondering," how much of this is Grandpa, and how much is box?"

Metal caskets are about 150 lbs. Wood caskets are around 200-250 lbs.
    Have you ever been just about to jab them with ur instrument and they all of the sudden wake up?

Nope. If it ever happens I will probably pee my pants.

I wonder how often that really happens that people wake up & showed no vital signs & were about to be embalmed?