"You can eat whaver you want, as long as you eat at a deficit" is true, but it's garbage advice.

Options

Replies

• cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Gosh, you were certainly burned at the stake. I think what you said made sense. I have suffered from this awful binge eating disorder for 34 non stop years, even was part of an eating disorder program for 8 months and had to take a leave of absence from work to attend, and what you said def is my way to go as well. If the replies you got are the norm around here, I shall refrain from posting or reading too much. I am too sensitive and volatile and did not come here to cat fight.
    jdb3388 wrote: »
    People don't want to eat 1 slice of pizza, or a 1/4 of a plate of Loco Rice, or 7 chili cheese fries. They want to have a meal. If you eat the "right amount" of junk food to stay within your calorie limits, you're going to be starving to death and it's going to cause you to eat more. Eating food that doesn't taste as good as what you want is much better than satisfying a craving and then derailing later because you were so hungry you caved. There are a few people around here who have done their time, lost their weight, and they are in good shape. These people give advice from the "look at me, I lost a ton of weight so I know what I'm doing" stand point, but seem to have forgotten what it was like to ACTUALLY live as a fat person. So when someone tells you you can have junk food, don't listen to them, not because they are lying to you - they aren't, it's true - but because the advice isn't helpful in practice.
    Most here agree that there are different needs for dieting if you have had an eating disorder. It makes it a lot harder, and for some saying foods are off limit is okay. But for the run of the mill dieter, it isn't needed.
  • kq1981
    kq1981 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    New poster throwing shade on successful posters........200% legit.

I'm not throwing shade. I'm sharing my opinion with the OP.
  • NannersBalletLegs
    NannersBalletLegs Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    1) Many binge eaters and emotional eaters continue to be triggered by calorie-dense, super-satiating foods, because they haven't yet worked through the underlying psychological issues that are causing them to overeat and feel an overwhelming urge to numb or soothe themselves with ice cream, cake, pizza, french fries, etc.

This is not about the food, really, though, and restricting can be even more problematic. Someone with a BED should consider getting help, but I would say different issues apply. (I'm an emotional eater, and even for that I know there's more to it than just watching calories -- I need to work on psychological triggers.)
    You need fruit and veggies and other micronutrient and antioxidant rich foods to fuel your body properly and keep it in the best condition possible. I know none of you are saying it's fine to just eat McD's and pizza every day, but I do think that there is a tendency to oversimplify the CICO thing as "eat whatever you want" and lose weight without acknowledging some of the other consequences. Someone who takes this advice to heart might lose weight but still end up in really poor health.

Honestly, I think (a) someone who eats only junk food knows better and would do it no matter what people on MFP said, and (b) if you and I know that of course we should eat a healthful diet and that eating "whatever you want within your calories" doesn't mean only donuts or whatever (and, seriously, yuck, who would want to?), then why assume other people are too ignorant to figure that out? I think politeness requires assuming that most people have some common sense and get that "eat what you want within your calories" also involves "eat a nutritionally-balanced diet for health, including vegetables, protein, etc."
    3) It is a lot, LOT harder to fit in calorie-dense foods while still eating at a deficit when you are (a) short and (b) closer to a healthy weight.

It's not that hard, really. I'm 5'3, 125, and granted I have been mostly maintaining (although I ate plenty of ice cream and weekly restaurant dinners and so on losing from 140 to 125), but with exercise I could easily keep a deficit at this weight and eat ice cream or weekly restaurant splurges or some pizza (which need not be more than a normal dinner anyway), etc.

Yes, satiety is important, but absolutely no one says otherwise. This is not something that is ignored on MFP.

Yes, someone with any eating disorder should absolutely get help. MFP will never be an appropriate stand-in for a qualified mental health professional. I am glad to hear from a fellow emotional eater. I know that our perspectives and experiences probably vary in spite of that. In my own experience, removing the foods that I use as a crutch to suppress my feelings has actually helped me make progress in working through those feelings. There have been so many times in the past that I would just buy or bake a cake and eat the whole thing in a day to avoid addressing something that is bothering me. Now, I tell myself, "Okay. We can't go to cake for help today. We need to stop, breathe, figure out where this is coming from, and formulate an appropriate response. Are we lonely? Maybe we should call a friend? Are we anxious? Maybe we should go for a run on the treadmill and burn off some excess energy or maybe just meditate." Giving cake and a few other items the boot (albeit temporarily) has given me a lot of freedom to explore my feelings in greater depth and keep them from running my life. Again, I'm speaking about my own experience and don't assume to understand yours. I do know that I've met a lot of others like me on here, though.

I think you're probably right in saying that most people know that McDonald's, pizza, whatever, isn't technically good for you and that they would probably eat it regardless of what anyone is telling them. Perhaps my assertion that CICO advocates should be qualifying their advice with nutritional caveats is unfair for this reason. However, I do think that far too many tend to make a fetish of their ability to "eat anything" and still lose weight. Many are also far too quick to assume that when someone is saying that "eat whatever and still lose weight is bad advice" that that means that someone is somehow trying to take away their chocolate and their cheeseburgers. It's silly.

Your point about being able to include more of those foods with added exercise is well taken, and I did try to address that at some point in a previous reply. However, I didn't really want to go into the subject of intense physical exercise, because it's not something that everyone can do. Disabilities and injuries can make obtaining a caloric deficit through exercise far more difficult—not impossible—but definitely more challenging. I guess I was trying to be more inclusive by not going into that.

• jdb3388
    jdb3388 Posts: 239 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    You guys just take every single word someone writes literally, to the t. I don't mean that you have to spend the rest of your life not eating things you enjoy. I also don't mean that you can NEVER have things you enjoy, or that are calorie dense. What I do mean, and was obvious in the original post, that is if you aren't just looking for something to complain about, is that dieting under the idea that "you can have whatever, so long as it fits in your calorie count" is not an effective long term solution because MOST people, especially larger people, run out of calories waaaaay before they become satiated. If you are a 135lb woman that's 5'9 which I think was an example somewhere in this thread, and you're only eating at a 500 calorie deficit, no *kitten* you are gonna be full before you run out of calories. You're small, even if you aren't at your "goal" you are going to feel satiated. If you are the kind of person who is accustomed to eating 3500-4000 calories a day and your prescribed amount is 2500, there is absolutely NO WAY that you can eat the calorie dense foods you enjoy, but at a lower quantity, and not be absolutely starving to death. Which will lead to a derailment in most people. Contrary to popular belief, will power is not a dominant trait. So there you go, here's another post for you guys to pick apart to for *kitten* that is obviously not what I meant.
This discussion has been closed.