What food's calories have you been shocked by?

Options

Replies

• DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    caraboo751 wrote: »
    Magic shell ice cream topping. 210 Cal. For 2 tablespoons. I can go without no problem, but my husband loves it.

Not that it helps the calorie count, but you can make a healthier (no additives) version super easy. Just mix some coconut oil with a good quality melted chocolate that you like, and it's perfect! You can control the ingredients, so you may end up with more flavor and be able to get away with less than the 2 tbsp "normal" serving.
  • ashesnposies333
    ashesnposies333 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Blooming onion for Outback Steakhouse over 1,000 if I remember

Restaurants are *kitten* in that they give one person enough servings for four, including dinner plates. Appetizers are worse and anything fried is always double or triple in calories.
  • ashesnposies333
    Options
    Liatush wrote: »
    I used to eat a "healthy" wrap of egg whites and diced tomato every morning - until I found out the wrap was about 350... add the egg whites, tomato and the coffee and my breakfast was costing me nearly 500 cals - almost half my day's cals.... yikes!

Guerrero tortillas are only 130 calories and very low in saturated fat. I make breakfast wraps with two scrambled eggs, kale, sriracha ansd tomatoes and its rarely ever more than 400 calories total. Actually closer to 350 if I remember right. Egg whites instead would be even less since most of the calories are in the yolk, unless you're using the premixed egg white you buy at the store. And if you use only one large egg that's at least 70 calories less :smiley:
  • ashesnposies333
    Options
    tryclyn wrote: »
    Cheesecake. It seems to be a 100% efficient calorie vehicle; can go as high as 1600 calories per (restaurant-sized) serving.

I can always make cheesecake fit into my goals.

Same hahahaha and pizza, and I mean the greasy Dominos or Costco kind. I think about the calories and then say fight me to myself as I eat it. Worth it. Worth it every time. Cheesecake is way too good.
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,770 Member
    Options
    I am always stunned when i go to restaurants where they print the calories on the menu. Years ago when Starbucks was among the first chains to list them, I discovered that a slice of their lemon pound cake was 470 calories. I've ordered it once since then...and shared it with my three kids. Sometimes I miss the days of blissful ignorance.

Cheesecake Factory might be the worst offender. Some of their entrees are in the neighborhood of 1500 calories...that's more than a full day's worth for me. Granted their portions are huge, and I doubt I'd be able to clean my plate. In general, my rule of thumb when dining in such places is to never eat more than half of what is served.

• LadyLilion
    LadyLilion Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Pastries in general - but especially pie crust. I love to cook and the fact that flour is so calorie rich is bad enough, but add shortening and .... WOW! And I love pie. :'( I love fruit pies, and cream pies, and savory meat pies. Mmmm. Pie! :p Forget sugar substitutes, someone make me a shortening substitute!
  • LadyLilion
    Options
    Oh and ANYTHING in a restaurant! Thank God for Google. I can just ask my phone for nutrition info for wherever and be prepared in advance. How they manage to make things so fattening I'll never know. I know I could re-create half the stuff they sell for less calories.
  • kuftae
    kuftae Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    No surprise, most of the whole foods mentioned in this thread are very satiating-- especially peanut butter, avocado, sausage, hummus. IMO they are worth eating and worth eating often, even on a deficient. Others like pizza, cheeseburgers and pizza... that was a 'surprise' huh?
  • infinitynevermore
    infinitynevermore Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Dunkin Donuts, but it was in the other direction: only 260 calories for a Bavarian Cream donut? LOL
  • goldenday
    goldenday Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I came back from lunch with friends. I knew I was ordering a slice of chocolate cake- 598 calories though!
  • lavoiekr
    lavoiekr Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Costco Cinamon Buns - 530 cals per :neutral:
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Nutella - OMG like seriously? Who can eat just a tiny portion of that delicious stuff?
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Arctic Zero. Until I tasted it. Then it made perfect sense.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Costco pizza...its not that great for 700 cal.
  • nightengale7
    nightengale7 Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    vegmebuff wrote: »
    Plain oats-150 calories for 1/2 cup raw oats

I know...doesn't that suck!

What do you mean, "suck"? Add a handful of berries and/or a tablespoon of brown sugar and you have a fairly big breakfast that stays with you for hours, for around just 200 calories. Where's the rip-off there? That's what I call a win!

Right? That's what I was thinking! I love savory oatmeal as a dinner option, it has less calories than a rice or pasta bowl and is just as delicious and filling.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    There is a locally owned ice cream place here. My favorite flavor is peanut butter chip. I knew it wasn't the best for me but I would eat it every once in a while. One time last spring I even got a double dip (I was celebrating a career milestone). And then I found out that one dip was 700 calories. The double dip was 1400 calories!!!!!!!!! I about threw up. I don't think I can even enjoy it anymore.
  • mehlerscasada
    mehlerscasada Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    ALMONDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Grooving on the steam able bags of edamame from Costco. 140 calories for the whole bag and so satisfying to eat. Sprinkle some sea salt and smoked paprika on the pods and it's a yum fest. The effort to eat them makes them so satisfying.

I am very disappointed in cheese, though.
  • Snowdusk
    Snowdusk Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I mean, I shouldn't really be shocked by ice creams calories, but it's so damn good and I can eat so much of it that it's just not fair :p
  • LadyLilion
    edited March 2017
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Demenseotf wrote: »
    Whats the serving?

15g for the mayo.

You do realize that is not even a teaspoon right?

15g is a tablespoon

Weight it and then decide :)

Tablespoons measure volume and grams measure weight. A tablespoon of powdered sugar won't weigh 15 grams. A tablespoon of salt won't weigh that either. My rule of thumb is to use the measurement on the package if possible. Weigh it if it's in grams or ounces. Measure it if it's in spoons or cups.