"You can eat whaver you want, as long as you eat at a deficit" is true, but it's garbage advice.

Options

Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I actually kind of agree with it lol. I mean...I wouldn't say it that way. And I think it's also important to remember that yeah, you CAN eat pizza and brownies. And yes, if you are happy with a corner of a brownie and a slice of pizza, more power to you.

I am not. I eat vegetables and lean meat on the reg. My desserts are protein bars and 0% fage. I need a high volume of food, even in maintenance.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    dfwesq wrote: »
    I hadn't seen anyone refer to this, so I thought I'd share it. Here's a young woman who has successfully maintained a normal weight by not eating more calories than she used up.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2092071/Stacey-Irvine-17-collapses-eating-McDonalds-chicken-nuggets-age-2.html

My only points are, first, that there really are people who eat like this (and probably a lot more with similar but less severe problems). For all we know, the person we're replying to could be one of those people. So it's not right to say no one takes things to an extreme, because clearly some do. As far as we know, someone who's reading the advice we post could be that person. Second, "doesn't matter what you eat as long as you maintain a calorie deficit" is only true if weight loss is the only issue. If there are other issues, like nutrition and overall health, it's at best incomplete advice.

Third, some people can maintain a calorie deficit while eating a lot of junk food, through willpower. But for a lot of overweight people, that's not enough. If it were, they'd have already lost weight. They need to change what they eat - not just how much - and to some extent they need to change their lifestyle too, to make it sustainable. So "eat whatever you want" isn't really helpful advice for those people.

Respectfully the bolded is kinda incomplete advice as well isn't it? What changes do I need to make? What foods should I eat? Can I eat nothing but Kale? See what I'm saying?

My point is that one needs to take in the collective statements and posts and not pull out a single statement. In almost every thread someone brings up satiety and overall nutritious balanced diet as being important and beneficial. Why are these posts/statements being overlooked?

• dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    ... I say that even though I don't think it should be necessary since EVERYONE not being willfully obtuse already knows that,...
    This is where I disagree with you. I think there are plenty of people who are confused nor not completely informed without being willfully obtuse. When we post, we don't usually know much about the person we're giving advice to. They could have a lot of common sense, or not much. I think it's pretty safe to say that among people who are overweight a substantial number are very confused about how to eat.

I'm not saying the advice is bad advice, just that it's incomplete. In some contexts (such as where the question asked for a different kind of advice), it could be misleading.

• dfwesq
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I recognize that I'm new here, but maybe that helps to see things from the perspective of a newbie who is reading posts. Not everything we say comes across the way we intend it to.

I did look at the earlier posts, and I am posting my opinions, politely I hope.
  • dfwesq
    Options
    They need to change what they eat - not just how much - and to some extent they need to change their lifestyle too, to make it sustainable. So "eat whatever you want" isn't really helpful advice for those people.

Respectfully the bolded is kinda incomplete advice as well isn't it? What changes do I need to make? What foods should I eat? Can I eat nothing but Kale? See what I'm saying?
    Not really, because it's not advice. There's a difference between my saying that a group of people needs to change their eating habits and me replying to someone who's asking a question about whether they need to eat less fast food. The person who asked a question was asking for guidance, and got it, which sounds a lot more like advice. That is why I gave the example I did, to give an example of one situation where that advice is sometimes given.

• coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I wonder if the people opposed to the IIFYM regiment of eating (Everything you'd like, in moderation, if it fits your macros) know that you can even exceed your calorie goal a few times a month by even a few hundred cals, and STILL lose weight over the long term...
  • leanjogreen18
    Options
    They need to change what they eat - not just how much - and to some extent they need to change their lifestyle too, to make it sustainable. So "eat whatever you want" isn't really helpful advice for those people.

Not really, because it's not advice. There's a difference between my saying that a group of people needs to change their eating habits and me replying to someone who's asking a question about whether they need to eat less fast food. The person who asked a question was asking for guidance, and got it, which sounds a lot more like advice. That is why I gave the example I did, to give an example of one situation where that advice is sometimes given.

I do think its interesting you pulled out part of my post that talked about pulling out single statements:).

Its all good really. Just do what works for you and jump into threads if you feel like something important is being overlooked.
  • dfwesq
    Options
    I recognize that I'm new, but I'm not trying to be rude or ignorant. If I made a mistake, please forgive and bear with me. I really did read the entire thread, as I said. And on behalf of the other newbies, please consider that not everyone has it all figured out yet.
  • leanjogreen18
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I recognize that I'm new, but I'm not trying to be rude or ignorant. If I made a mistake, please forgive and bear with me. I really did read the entire thread, as I said. And on behalf of the other newbies, please consider that not everyone has it all figured out yet.

I don't think just because you have an opinion thats different you need to apologize or ask for forgiveness.

I was a newbie 8 months ago and I just kept reading and eventually I came to a really good place and understanding of myself and what I need to do for me.

And as @Gallowmere1984 once said to me when I was a newbie...we aren't all rocket scientists, somehow we figure it out:).
This discussion has been closed.