Squat, Bench, Deadlift, Snatch, C&J: Post your best videos

Options

Replies

• Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Well nationals is in the bag. Overwhelming feelings are of pride. Learnt a lot, and so did my coach. Including that if I'm saying something is hurting, it's a sign to not drop an opener by a little but by a lot. And he knew to give me my space when I was sitting 0/2 on bench to get deep in the headspace I needed and knock the third out of the park. I had more than a couple people I massively respect come up to me after and tell me how impressed they were with how composed I managed to be in the situation. What I remember most is being there fully locked out after pressing and mentally screaming at myself to wait for the rack command. I don't have much downtime until worlds, only five weeks but we will do what we have to in order to get my shoulder healed up and ready I go. I do wish I had all my lifts on video. The live stream is only archived until shortly after my second squat. I wound up going 6/9 with a 135/80/165 for 380 total. Good enough for 6th in the 84s.

I know the curse filter is going to take away from what I'm saying, but I'm going to type it out anyways:

This is some good *kitten*! Heal up and get ready for Belarus.

Not Belarus. Texas for classic bench worlds.
    Well nationals is in the bag. Overwhelming feelings are of pride. Learnt a lot, and so did my coach. Including that if I'm saying something is hurting, it's a sign to not drop an opener by a little but by a lot. And he knew to give me my space when I was sitting 0/2 on bench to get deep in the headspace I needed and knock the third out of the park. I had more than a couple people I massively respect come up to me after and tell me how impressed they were with how composed I managed to be in the situation. What I remember most is being there fully locked out after pressing and mentally screaming at myself to wait for the rack command. I don't have much downtime until worlds, only five weeks but we will do what we have to in order to get my shoulder healed up and ready I go. I do wish I had all my lifts on video. The live stream is only archived until shortly after my second squat. I wound up going 6/9 with a 135/80/165 for 380 total. Good enough for 6th in the 84s.

I caught your first squat. You had a very deep weight class and very competitive.

Absolutely. It's nice that 84 is finally becoming a competitive weight class.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options

I know the curse filter is going to take away from what I'm saying, but I'm going to type it out anyways:

I caught your first squat. You had a very deep weight class and very competitive.

It was the most competitive class in the M2s.

There have been a number of comments about the size of nationals; that it's too large. I agree that it's too big and perhaps we should consider each Province sending a team similar to countries sending teams to Worlds. However, despite the monstrous size of the event, the quality of the competitors is amazing. In the women's I think there are more women with +400 wilks than under. Look at the 63kg women; 10th place is still 398.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Options

There have been a number of comments about the size of nationals; that it's too large. I agree that it's too big and perhaps we should consider each Province sending a team similar to countries sending teams to Worlds. However, despite the monstrous size of the event, the quality of the competitors is amazing. In the women's I think there are more women with +400 wilks than under. Look at the 63kg women; 10th place is still 398.

I can't really agree with provinces selecting teams like that. Just looking at the 63's, because too two were Albertan. Who would we have sent? Christine won the weight class at provincials but Teresa didn't compete there because worlds was three weeks after. For so many athletes, nationals is the peak of their year and to say it's too big and provinces are going to pick teams is unfair to them. to say you can't go any higher than regionals because you happen to live in the same province as one of the best in the world in your weight class would suck and probably drive people to other feds.
  • juliewatkin
    Options

I can't really agree with provinces selecting teams like that. Just looking at the 63's, because too two were Albertan. Who would we have sent? Christine won the weight class at provincials but Teresa didn't compete there because worlds was three weeks after. For so many athletes, nationals is the peak of their year and to say it's too big and provinces are going to pick teams is unfair to them. to say you can't go any higher than regionals because you happen to live in the same province as one of the best in the world in your weight class would suck and probably drive people to other feds.

To strive to be the best is what makes people better. We received similar feedback when we raised the qualifying standards; it wasn't fair because suddenly there were people who couldn't go. With the number of people in our federation, perhaps it's time to treat an event as prestigious as our national championships similar to international championships. For a long time nationals was treated as an extended social event. I think those days are over. The social event can be at the provincial and regional level. We are already seeing a move towards treating it more seriously with the mandatory weight class requirement.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options

To strive to be the best is what makes people better. We received similar feedback when we raised the qualifying standards; it wasn't fair because suddenly there were people who couldn't go. With the number of people in our federation, perhaps it's time to treat an event as prestigious as our national championships similar to international championships. For a long time nationals was treated as an extended social event. I think those days are over. The social event can be at the provincial and regional level. We are already seeing a move towards treating it more seriously with the mandatory weight class requirement.

I managed to catch the deadlifts, and I thought your nationals were tiny lol. Here bench, equipped, and raw nationals are all separate events. Raw nationals typically has 3-4 flights per weight class. Last year 84kg had 34 competitors in open, and in 2015 it was 27. They increased the qualifying total substantially from 2015 as well. I realize we have a much larger population, but the difference in perspective made me chuckle.
  • juliewatkin
    Options
    Fittreelol wrote: »

I managed to catch the deadlifts, and I thought your nationals were tiny lol. Here bench, equipped, and raw nationals are all separate events. Raw nationals typically has 3-4 flights per weight class. Last year 84kg had 34 competitors in open, and in 2015 it was 27. They increased the qualifying total substantially from 2015 as well. I realize we have a much larger population, but the difference in perspective made me chuckle.

Based on population, the US has 10 times Canada, that would mean your nationals would need 4,000 competitors to be comparable by population. If that's the case, it is indeed monstrous in size. We've split up our Provincial Championships in my province because it's almost the same size as nationals and has become unwieldy to run. I'm glad you got a chuckle though :smile:
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Options

I agree and disagree. I think if we want to make nationals the best of the best, it's better to set qualification standards based on what's actually happening in each age and weight class. If we want it so that only the top x percent have the ability to go, then set the standard so that is the case. It just doesn't seem right to me to make it so that flukes of geography plus the potential for favouritism would make it so that nationals isn't really the top 5-10%
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Based on population, the US has 10 times Canada, that would mean your nationals would need 4,000 competitors to be comparable by population. If that's the case, it is indeed monstrous in size. We've split up our Provincial Championships in my province because it's almost the same size as nationals and has become unwieldy to run. I'm glad you got a chuckle though :smile:

Oh yeah it absolutely makes sense. I just always forget at first that despite it's massive landmass Canada isn't super populous.
    I agree and disagree. I think if we want to make nationals the best of the best, it's better to set qualification standards based on what's actually happening in each age and weight class. If we want it so that only the top x percent have the ability to go, then set the standard so that is the case. It just doesn't seem right to me to make it so that flukes of geography plus the potential for favouritism would make it so that nationals isn't really the top 5-10%

This seems to make the most sense and is what the USAPL does except the cutoff is the top 15% based on real numbers from 2013, 2014, and 2015 which ends up being a crap ton of people. It's funny because prior to 2015 USAPL didn't have any qualification to go to nationals, and most people didn't care to go unless they had a shot at qualifying for the world team or the Arnold. Pretty smart marketing really. Once they added a cut off people want to go compete, because it feels like it has a little more meaning and isn't just another meet.
  • juliewatkin
    Options

305x1 all time PR. Haven't hit over 295 since losing 35 lbs and being really sick for like 8 months and almost quitting lifting altogether last year.
    This was after AMRAP of death 260x8,
    270x3, 280x3 which was a rep PR.
    1.5 weeks out!
    (Disclaimer because someone has already said my spotter wasn't doing his job, I told him I would dump it if I missed. Just wanted to get used to having someone standing over my shoulder haha.;)

That looked great! There's a lot more there.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    AMRAP of death

:D:D:D
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

305x1 all time PR. Haven't hit over 295 since losing 35 lbs and being really sick for like 8 months and almost quitting lifting altogether last year.
    This was after AMRAP of death 260x8,
    270x3, 280x3 which was a rep PR.
    1.5 weeks out!
    (Disclaimer because someone has already said my spotter wasn't doing his job, I told him I would dump it if I missed. Just wanted to get used to having someone standing over my shoulder haha.;)

That looked great! There's a lot more there.

Agreed. I'd bet, had you not been fatigued, that you probably could have put up 3 plates and have it look similar to that.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    I'm probably going for 318.6 (or something like that! silly kilos!) for my 3rd attempt. Haven't tested in months, happy accident when programmed numbers are also PRs I guess. :#
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    Feeling extremely frustrated in my training. I was doing 270x20 squat around Christmas and 375x5 DL...My leg strength since then has all but disappeared. A 315 squat is about all I can handle and I couldn't even manage 1 rep of 365 yesterday. I'm still essentially at the same weight (-2lbs) and my upper body lifts haven't suffered nearly as much. Not hitting Rep PRs with bench or OHP, but they're at least in the same realm +/- 5 to 10 lbs. Only thing that's been making progress is my pull-up training. Up to 16reps this week at 190lb BW.
  • juliewatkin
    Options
    McCloud33 wrote: »
    Feeling extremely frustrated in my training. I was doing 270x20 squat around Christmas and 375x5 DL...My leg strength since then has all but disappeared. A 315 squat is about all I can handle and I couldn't even manage 1 rep of 365 yesterday. I'm still essentially at the same weight (-2lbs) and my upper body lifts haven't suffered nearly as much. Not hitting Rep PRs with bench or OHP, but they're at least in the same realm +/- 5 to 10 lbs. Only thing that's been making progress is my pull-up training. Up to 16reps this week at 190lb BW.

Is there something going on? Have you done a meet recently? Have you been physically stressed/active in other ways that are atypical for you? What about work/home life? All of this has an enormous impact. I found that even more so as I age. I feel weak as a kitten after a meet and it takes a while to get up to speed again. Training is affected by heavy work around the house.

Strength ebbs and flows. Sometimes it just hits a trough and you carry on until you hit an upswing again. It's super frustrating. My husband is in a similar spot at the moment.
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    McCloud33 wrote: »

Is there something going on? Have you done a meet recently? Have you been physically stressed/active in other ways that are atypical for you? What about work/home life? All of this has an enormous impact. I found that even more so as I age. I feel weak as a kitten after a meet and it takes a while to get up to speed again. Training is affected by heavy work around the house.

Strength ebbs and flows. Sometimes it just hits a trough and you carry on until you hit an upswing again. It's super frustrating. My husband is in a similar spot at the moment.

Thanks @juliewatkin I haven't had a meet or anything and really haven't done anything too stressful. I've started soccer again on Sunday's, but that's only been the last 3 weeks. I did start a new job at the beginning of the year, but it hasn't been "that" much more stressful than my previous job. IDK...I'm just not sure what's going on. I'm still a relative noob to the whole lifting thing so this has been the first time I've experienced this without a big drop in calories or something. And it's just odd to me that it's not across the board strength wise as it seems much more focused in losing strength in my legs.