WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2017

Options

Replies

• drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    We've been doing these challenges at the gym called"Bring Sally Up". Have you heard of them? We've done the squat, leg lift, and plank challenges. There's a push-up one, but we know we're too weak for it. It's a very annoying little tune that goes on for 3 minutes and 28 seconds.
  • Ezzie
    Ezzie Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Not new to the group, but have been gone for quite awhile. So, with a 4 month old knee I'm back to MFP to see if this will give me a better picture of how my body is responding to diet/exercise/sleep. A bit late for the March goals, so I'll lurk and join you in April actively. Current goal is to get my FitBit to talk to MFP.
  • vlvo544grl
    vlvo544grl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello, my fellow 50's. I'm new - so going to read everyone's posts before I go too far into my intro. I'm where most of you probably are - I've been thin and athletic most of my life and then hit 50 and I have just watched pound after pound appear on my body. I'm the highest weight I've ever been and am just trying to stop the madness - somehow, some way.
    Greetings form NorCal!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,550 Member
    Options
    Xxxxxxx
  • gotu52
    gotu52 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Wow, that will teach me to take a whole day off. What a marvellously chatty group we are <3

So I have not touched any of the junk in the hotel room, probably more due to the price than the calories lol!

My daughters arrived and my brother is here too so we are having a little reunion. Going to see a comedy show tonight. Toronto has so much going on. It is a really fun place but after a few days, I need to get away from all the people, the lack of clean air and no green space.

I miss Marnie too!

I have been doing a lot of walking, at 16,150 steps already and we will be walking again tonight.

It will be Indian for dinner, can't wait.

Have a great night everyone!

<3 Sarah in Toronto, Ontario, Canada
  • colonagirl
    colonagirl Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Janet, good luck with the VA. My husband, also a Vietnam Vet was recently given 100% disability because of a rare cancer. (Fortunately, he's holding his own right now). A lot of medical conditions are now being attributed to agent orange. There's a lot to be said for going in prepared with medical records and a good VA DR. I had my daughter file all of the medical records in a binder and everything was labeled, the Dr. was quite impressed. I hope your husband is not suffering anything too major. Shari, IL
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Happy Waffle Day!

Becca – It’s sad that your sister isn’t willing to work with you. But you can’t control what she does; all you can do is keep the door open. I think you can do that without turning yourself inside out trying to please her.

Kelly – Joaquin is so cute! Love your idea of toes in the sand.

Ginger – I’ve been using self hypnosis tools from HypnosisDownloads.com. There’s no magic involved, but it does seem to help keep me focused. They’ve got products for all kinds of topics, and they’re not expensive. I’ve been trying to listen to at least one of the weight loss ones every day. Right now I’m working on Weight Loss Motivation, Exercise Motivation, and Sweet Tooth.

Katla – I use chia seed a lot! It’s a sneaky way to get a little extra nutrition into muffins, smoothies, etc.

Janet – Our Luna thoroughly disapproves of opossums. When she finds one in the back yard, she barks her head off and won’t be called off. Many’s the time I’ve gone out there to find a hissing possum on the back fence with Luna going nuts and the greyhound running around trying to figure out what’s so exciting.

It was a rainy morning and the humidity seems like it must be about 99 percent. Nonetheless, I promised myself yesterday that I’d use my day off today to clean up at least one mess. So this morning I attacked my side of the bedroom, which had become a dumping ground for stuff that needed to be put away. I’m taking a break now, but then I’m going back in to start work on my (tiny!) closet.

After that I need to start thinking about what to do for our anniversary (in April) and Philip’s birthday (in May). Last year we were kind of busy and didn’t do much, but I’d like to make this year special.

Welcome to the newcomers, and welcome back to the returning people!

-Yvonne in TX
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    colonagirl wrote: »
    Janet, good luck with the VA. My husband, also a Vietnam Vet was recently given 100% disability because of a rare cancer. (Fortunately, he's holding his own right now). A lot of medical conditions are now being attributed to agent orange. There's a lot to be said for going in prepared with medical records and a good VA DR. I had my daughter file all of the medical records in a binder and everything was labeled, the Dr. was quite impressed. I hope your husband is not suffering anything too major. Shari, IL

Thank you. We too had all all of his records in order, thankfully nothing as serious as what it sounds like your husband may be suffering. He does have ischemic heart disease and is covered in skin cancers and has about 80% hearing loss. Good to hear your husband is holding his own. Which branch of service?

Janetr okc
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,752 Member
    Options
    Gloria ... so glad Zac's heart is ok!

Becca ... I was watching the same 600+ life episode last night. All I could think of was how much her legs must hurt her!

And I think I've deleted or "unfollowed" so many people on Facebook, that I might be the only person on my feed now! LOL!

I'm just taking a break while my Baklava bakes. Mission Dessert Auction tomorrow and I'll put this up for sale. Not sure how good it will be ... some of the worst Phyllo dough I've ever purchased ... dry and impossible to work with ... we'll see how it plates tomorrow.

Beth near Buffalo
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,550 Member
    Options
    Yyyyy
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    GloworminWA awe, aren't we sisters already, sweet friend??? Hugs!!!!
    Becca
    All lovey-dovey in
    Oregon
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Becca – Pretty crocus.

I only have less than 40 friends on FB; am choosey about who I will make friends with. Rarely share anything other than ‘like’, ‘love’, ‘laugh’, ‘sad’, or ‘angry’ on it. I might make a few comments to the friends and family. Try not to mention names. The ‘drama’ is what made me get OFF it for several years, twice. I have a friend whose husband died 3 years ago, and she mentions him in every single post, as if he is there talking to her. That freaks me out, especially when I have been around her wanting to find someone she can go have supper with and just have someone to talk to. Then stop talking about your dead husband as if he is still right beside you. She's been told this by her sister-in-law and ladies at the Women's Retreat; but, she still does. Was her HS sweetheart and married right out of HS. I don't know what I would do or say if I was in the same circumstance.

Yummy looking berries!!!!!

Wild animals, possums or raccoons can carry a lot of diseases. You need to have someone who knows how to ‘handle getting rid of it’. We used to live in town, and every year we had a family of raccoons take up residency in our, hollow in the inside, live oak tree behind our house; we’d call our housekeeper’s husband and he would come set traps so they could get them to use for their dogs, when ‘coon hunting’. Thankfully we had jasmine growing over the dog pen so she did not see them or she would probably be barking or baying at them all the time.

We have Armadillos and a lot of people when they see them dead by the side of the road will put their empty cans in their paws so they look like they are lying on their backs, drinking beer. They can tear up a yard in one night looking for grubs to eat. They purportedly carry leprosy. I would not touch one for anything. That’s disgusting!

If I did not say this before – “Thanks to all of you that wished me a Happy Birthday." It really did make my day! Last night was a bit stressful for me; and, today it seems like I have “Brain Fade.”

Michele – I know when DOGD found a prom dress she liked; and, they had it at the ‘bridal shop’ she bought it from. They really did not want to go to someone outside of Adel to do the alterations; so they took it to the tailor (only one we have in Albany) and he told him that the ‘dress was a piece o’ crap. Poorly made, no way to shorten it without losing the ‘lines’ of it. So they called the Bridal store and told them what he had said, she told them that the lady in Adel would guarantee it. It had a fishtail look to it, with the top part being sequined. She took the fishtail off and shortened it that way; and, then sewed the flowers back on it where they had been coming off. I had told DDnL#1 (before they brought it) that I did not see a way to hem it because of how they had connected the flowers on it, done it with long strands of thread woven throughout it. But, DOGD was ‘set’ on getting it. I saw a beautiful dayglow orange dress that I wanted her to ‘at least’ try on. But, she wouldn’t do it. Oh well. DMGD’s dress for prom is absolutely beautiful. IF we get any pictures I will post it here. She did not like the top (it is a 2 piece) and they were lucky enough to find a dressy blouse the same color and the tailor remade it to fit like it was supposed to, so instead of being cut in severely front and back, the new top has short sleeves.

I’ve got a DDnL(#1) who has balked at anything and everything either Louis or I have ‘suggested’. She is going to do things HER way, or no way. She sets her mind to do something, even DOS can’t change her mind. So now, because of things, they are having to do something unpleasant; so she ‘cries’ and says it is ALL her fault! Ya THUNK???? Hell yeah, it was your fault, you kept doing things and it finally caught up with you, so ‘shut the F up’!

She came home and went to bed with a very severe migraine. DOS came down later to see if I had something she could take for dizziness and nausea. She was better last night. I don’t have her as a friend on FB and won’t accept a friend request from her. I can see enough of what she posts by going to others’ accounts who she is friends with, not that I do it much. Just enough to get the ‘lay of the land’ before I get knocked off a cliff.
    Yep, birthday was quiet, other than having to get house ready for appraiser; and, no we are not in the market to sell. But, Louis said last night, gee, maybe we ought to put it on the market and sell it and ‘retire’ to FL. Yeah, to Orange Beach, AL; then we’d be exactly an equal distance between DOS and DYS.

Katla – JKF was killed when I was in 7th grade. We had been ‘out on recess’ and were called back in to watch it all on PBS. Most of the teachers were boo-hooing. We got to see it all. Like any news, they played it over and over and over. We did not go home until school let out normally.

Keeping good medical history and records is important, especially when going to a ‘new’ MD. Since the law firm I worked with did medical malpractice and medical malfeasance, learned how to ‘read’ records (when they were still being written out in long-hand). I came across something that did not look right, so I copied it and enlarged it maybe 10x over. The MD had written 2.5mg instead of .25mg of a 'heart' medication. Our expert said it was akin 'to holding a shotgun to his head and pulling the trigger’. They settled. It was against the VA, so Federal law requires you to present the complaint and your case to them, before you can actually ‘sue’ them. Now people sue of the most idiotic things. These attorney advertising on TV irk me; back in my time it was 'unethical to advertise in that manner'. Ambulance chasing, especially when the go to the hospital to get a person sign a contract when they are in 'no condition' to do so.

Lenora
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,345 Member
    Options
    Welcome back Ezzie

Welcome vlvo. Please tell us more about yourself

katla - well, I see Denise did take all the comments down, but she still has that video up. She probably doesn't see that it continues to be a slap in the face. Poor girl

Well, Denise sent me an email apologizing saying that she didn't mean to hurt me. I know I've seen a post on facebook about asking yourself three questions: is it true, will it hurt anyone and something else. That might be my response to her.

Been doing some "pity eating", but am going to try to reel it in. If I continue, it'll only give her power over me. At least that's what I'm keeping saying to myself.

Michele in NC
  • Annr
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Barbie from beautiful NW WA. I agree what you said about glad you are not in my sisters head. Priorities are pointless if you never make choices. Disengaging from life, robs the world the opportunity of you. I would rather make glorious mistakes than have people see nothing of me!
    Becca
    Hugging ya from Oregon!
  • Annr
    Options
    KJ Kelly. Thank you for being on my side with my family drama! My poor teenager confessed the other day that my side of the family is crazy! I replied, pretty much son! Love the Beach Day!!! So wonderful!
    Becca
    Oregon
  • Annr
    Options
    Leigh in France. What a pretty yard you have! Love love it!
    Becca
    Oregon
  • grogers511
    grogers511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Yvonne - I've used a hypnosis app for procrastination and for mindful eating. Yesterday I was looking at one for binge eating. I'm open to trying new things. Identify the problem - work on a solution.

Ginger

• ljdw99
    ljdw99 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Leigh what a lovely French spring pic. Our lawns are still snow covered with snow showers again today.
    Kelly wonderful idea to have an indoor beach day

Agent Orange I was protesting its manufacture as my husband worked for the company that produced it, Dow Chemical in Midland Mi. They made napalm as well. They also made styrofoam which my DH had used in his graduate research & that's how we ended up there. I hope all goes well for those suffering from the effects of that toxic defoliant!

Most get dinner ready.

Lois from snowy North Shore of Ma
  • Annr
    Options
    Thanks ladies for all your support pertaining to my sister issue. I woke up this morning, with a calm sense of purpose. I chose how people treat me. So for the last couple of months I have been here on the coast waiting for my sister to give me the time of day. I am worth more than that!

Today we visited a food bank. I have been managing our funds well, averaging $40ish a month. Rec'd an Amy's pizza, so I added mushrooms, spinach and a bit more mozzarella cheese and it was heaven! Husband picked out some scones and rolls that I will have to be careful to stay clear of. The bag of rolls is HUGE by the way. Its in the freezer.

Picked out somne cookies for teenager and he doesn't like them..
  • Annr
    Options
    Vlvo. Welcome North Cali friend! I used to live in Vacaville. Since returned to the fold of living in Oregon! This is a great group of ladies, and I love them!
    Becca
    Oregon