WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2017

Options

Replies

• DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    happy-birthday.gif Barbie. I hope you have a wonderful day.

Love,
    DJ
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Good morning all -

Beth - I had my first experience of cooking with phyllo dough recently, and it went the same way. Dry and nearly impossible to work with. Nice to know that's not necessarily the way it's supposed to be. If I try it again I'll buy the dough from a bigger supermarket or specialty store in Austin instead of our local grocery.

Becca - I watch 600+ now and then too, for much the same reason. It does make my problems seem much smaller, plus it's a reminder of the consequences of not losing the excess weight.

Chris - You have my heartfelt sympathy. It's never easy to lose a pet. They find their way so deep into our hearts that they never really leave us.

Gotta run - we're brunching with friends today, then I think I'll run down to Dad's river house since my sister and brother-in-law are there. My brother made me a beautiful garden bench for Christmas, and hopefully I can finally bring it home.

-Yvonne in TX
  • Charleen2
    Charleen2 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Happy Happy Birthday Barbie!
    t1wk7tsx3egv.gif

Thank you for all you do for us!

Charleen
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,751 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday, Barbie!

Becca ... Lovely photo ... and I really like your hairstyle in that photo too! Shorter hair is very becoming to you!

Lenora ... thank you for sharing the poem. You are so very right about the medical community. My older son has not always been served well, particularly when it comes to his mental health. The mental health community has a long way to go!

Kelly ... I am just so amazed at your energy and creativity when it comes to your daycare children! You are a very special person and those children are incredibly blessed!

Kim ... what kind of shoes are you looking for? I don't like the idea of you having wet feet while you work outside so much ...

The Baklava baked up well, so I'll plate it for the dessert auction.

Plan to plan out our meals this week. Both husband and I have been eating willy-nilly with the stress of the last week or so. Time to be done with that. I need to load the freezer with the things we like to eat that do not include the words "take out!" Husband found out before his surgery that he has crossed over to "pre diabetic" levels and his mother and all her sisters had diabetes, so this is an eye opener for him.

It's rainy and gloomy today ... but a perfect day for getting things done.

Beth near Buffalo

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,548 Member
    Options
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Happyyyyy bdayyyyyy batbiecat!!!!!
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    BARBIE ~ Happy birthday! Hope you have a great new year to come.

Carol in GA
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Re: Congratulations on forgetting to eat your chocolate!!!!! :flowerforyou:

Machka9: Our friend Pip is a cyclist. You might enjoy one another's perspective. Welcome to a great group of supportive women. :smiley:

Barbie: Happy Birthday! :heart:

Lanette: I love your happiness cartoon! The river is still in its banks, but it is deeper this morning. We're keeping a watchful eye on it. We live in a place where FEMA flood insurance is a requirement. We'll take priceless mementos and emotionally significant things upstairs if we get nervous. Other things are replaceable. I really doubt it will come to that. :noway:

Becca & Yvonne: I've watched the My 600 Pound Life episodes a few times, but not recently. My heart breaks for those people & their families. :broken_heart: My mom grew up fat, and fought the "Battle of the Bulge" for decades but she was not in the morbidly obese zone any time that I know about. She would've loved this group! :smiley:

Charleen in CO: Great advice on finances. You've learned a hard lesson. Thanks for sharing. :flowerforyou:

Beth: Regarding doctors, recently the AARP magazine strongly suggested that we all look for female doctors because, according to AARP, they generally give better care. Our personal experience goes along with this advice. Our current primary care doctor is a young woman and does a great job for us. Mental health issues & nervous system problems are particularly challenging and too many doctors don't have a clue what to do when pills don't solve the problem. :sad: There is a lot of room for research and I hope for discoveries that will help people overcome difficulties without causing additional problems. :heart:

I have a riding lesson later today. Yay! I'm feeling enough better today that I plan to go rather than cancel. Double Yay!

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

"The greatest weapon against stress is our ability to choose one thought over another." - William James
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Jenawhire asked me 2 b her friend too, she's a fellow biker-

I ride year round so I am known as a commuter. I'm in Washington so it's not flat. Been doing year round for about 4-5 years now, no matter what the weather, my husband has been doing it since before I met him. We r both runners too. Long and short distances. Will b doing another marathon in November. Our yearly MS deception pass classic bike ride is in September, 2 day ride.. nice to know there are other bikers out there
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Yogi yihuucx20hou.jpg
    I'll have some of that mom !
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,211 Member
    Options
    Barbie- A VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU! <3<3<3

Re - I think when we eat really delicious food, in a nice setting, we tend to feel more satisfied. We don't feel deprived. Hence forgetting the chocolate. WTG!

DH is out watching a local team play football. Lovely sunny day. I am reading the newspaper and I have cooked a rabbit stew for tonight. Smells fabulous! Will probably take a short nap and watch a film. I have paid the fridge a couple of visits, :o but stuck to low fat protein so not too much damage so far. Alcohol free tonight, or maybe half a glass of low alcohol cider.

Chris - I think when a guy comes on strong with all the compliments right from the beginning, it's never a good sign. <3

Feeling a bit lonely after all the excitement of this week. Hence the fridge visits. I'm a bit apprehensive about being left alone all over the Easter weekend when DH has cricket for the whole four days and then the same thing the following weekend. Haven't decided what to do. I won't have the car unless I organise it. Going away on my own is an option, or visiting friends, but I don't really fancy either that much. I like time to myself, but that is a bit too much. I live right out in the countryside. Part of me is thinking about flying off somewhere for the second weekend, but I'm not sure. I do feel a bit miffed at being deserted all over the Easter weekend. The trains are always messed up with "improvement" works.
    All I need is a plan. ;):*

Tomorrow is GB's Mother's Day. DOS never does anything, DYS may send something or text me. DH refuses to do anything as "You are not my mother" . Our clocks go forward. And it's DDIL's birthday. I've already given her a present and card, but I did a nice e-card for her this morning.

Love to all. Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,339 Member
    Options
    Pip, have you and Kirby ever ridden in the STP? Looks like your kids are enjoying the beach! What did they have for breakfast this morning...was Yogi able to get a pancake or some special treat? :)

Becca, I keep forgetting - wanted to commend you on your good cooking within a budget. You should teach classes. You eat well balanced and nourishing meals on a shoestring - I think it's becoming a lost art. We have a neighbor, 86 years young, who spends between $40 and $50 per month on food. Makes her own yogurt, often buys dry milk powder for her milk (she drinks a lot of it and has good strong bones.) She is an active gardener as well, cans and has a big freezer. She's been a good inspiration for me.

Charleen, thank you for the reminder about passwords. I need to get my cheat sheet updated and put in a safe place where DH can find it - also a fresh copy to our BFF who has power of attorney. Also I have some cash in a "secret stash". DH and I used to have a communal "kitty" but I noticed whenever I needed a bit of cash it seemed to be empty. :s So he has his allowance to stash and I have mine. I've told BFF where the hidey hole is so if something happens to me, it won't accidentally get hauled to the thrift store. :#

Barbie, love the "Vitamin F" - it's very important. Keeping having a wonderful "Barbie" day!! Enjoy your meal <3

I try to take notice of what is good right now, in this moment, and be grateful for that. I am in the middle of "Be Gretchen" (Better than Before and the Happiness Project). She's a fabulous writer.

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Barbiecat. Happy Birthday You!!
    (Just found you on FB!). Have a wonderful day, we love you!!
    Becca
    Oregon
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    1008746a1j2faq5tb.gif Have a most wonderful day! <3<3<3
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Pip. Great stacking!