HALP! Heavy Lifting Made Me SUPAH Bulky!!!

Options

Replies

• jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies. So I've been lurking on this thread for a while and I really want to start lifting but I'm wondering - do you need a spotter ? I can't afford a trainer, and have no one to go to the gym with. Im living in a country where I don't speak the language so I can't just ask people at the gym for help (plus I really wouldn't feel comfortable doing that anyhow). I downloaded the Stronglifts app and watched the instructional video on form so I'm hoping I could get that part right without help but I just wasn't sure if it's recommended to have a spotter for this type of workout?
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Sadly, my squat rack doesn't have catch bars (bought it before I realized how important that was).

I just don't clip the weights on bench press. I haven't had to yet, but that way I can tilt the bar and slide the weights off.
  • grapaj
    grapaj Posts: 136 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I don't use a spotter -- because I just can't get myself to ask a random guy to hover over my bench. Lol! If there were fellow ladies lifting if wouldn't be such a problem.
    That being said I am being super cautious on my bench right now and it's annoying me. I am going to need to move into the rack but for some reason that makes me stressed out! Like -- where do I know where to set the safeties? Just lay down on bench and try a few out?
    Typing that makes it seem pretty clear that indeed that's what I should do... roll eyes!
    Those who do this -- where abouts are you setting them?
    And yes -- I never put the clamps on the plates when I bench. And yes I've had to do a roll off once.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    grapaj wrote: »
    I don't use a spotter -- because I just can't get myself to ask a random guy to hover over my bench. Lol! If there were fellow ladies lifting if wouldn't be such a problem.
    That being said I am being super cautious on my bench right now and it's annoying me. I am going to need to move into the rack but for some reason that makes me stressed out! Like -- where do I know where to set the safeties? Just lay down on bench and try a few out?
    Typing that makes it seem pretty clear that indeed that's what I should do... roll eyes!
    Those who do this -- where abouts are you setting them?
    And yes -- I never put the clamps on the plates when I bench. And yes I've had to do a roll off once.

You should just ask for a spot. I know there are exceptions, but I promise that most guys are in there to work, they will be glad to help, but its unlikely they will stalk you.
  • grapaj
    grapaj Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    You should just ask for a spot. I know there are exceptions, but I promise that most guys are in there to work, they will be glad to help, but its unlikely they will stalk you.
    I should!! But.....omg.
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    pwlza88dtcyx.jpg

Left: August 2011 (170s?), Right: last week (143-145ish)
    Height: 5'6"

Apologies that the pictures aren't the same pose or in similar clothing. I've always been camera shy due to my weight, so I don't have official "before" shots, and I don't quiet consider myself an "after" just yet.

I started off my weight loss journey with strictly cardio and what I realize now was too large of a calorie deficit. I was 200 lbs at the beginning coming out of college but I don't have pictures from that time of my life. I didn't start weight lifting until I met my now husband (summer 2013). I was deathly afraid of the weight room, but after some strong encouraging by my husband and seeing the results of other women on MFP, I started picking up heavy things and putting them back down. Due to work/school demands, I have had intermittent dedication.

I have been consistently more serious since last November, down about 10-12 pounds since that time. I eat at a small deficit and aim to lift 2-3 times per week as my work schedule permits, but sometimes it doesn't happen at all if it is a busy week. I maybe do cardio once a month now, but I also am active at work. I would say I eat about 1600-1800 calories a day on average.

I'm very happy with my results so far. I plan to continue a slow cut because damn these thunder thighs! I've also never worn a bikini in public in my life so maybe this summer will be my year. I'm very nervous to post this publicly but I've drawn so much inspiration from the MFP forums over the years that I would like to give back. Congrats to all the beautiful ladies in this thread!

Such BULK! :love:
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Great progress pics @quiksylver296 -so nice to see your front.
    Love the 'I could deadlift you' 'cos you probably could me, with one arm.

Cheers, h.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Great progress pics @quiksylver296 -so nice to see your front.
    Love the 'I could deadlift you' 'cos you probably could me, with one arm.

Cheers, h.

Aww, thanks, @middlehaitch. My deadlift max is 330 lbs, so maybe! LOL
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Ooh @quiksylver296 you could do 3 of me and my cat! >:)
    Just out of curiosity what are your other lifts like?

Cheers, h.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Ooh @quiksylver296 you could do 3 of me and my cat! >:)
    Just out of curiosity what are your other lifts like?

Cheers, h.

The most I've ever benched is 160 lbs, but I only got 145 in my meet last month. Squats, with proper form, 200 lbs. Pre-trainer, with bad form, 280 lbs. :p
  • jasperdog52554
    jasperdog52554 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    Bulk city

8oavblzjdapb.jpg
    9dwfn7w84xn7.jpg

Ok, it is officially killing me. Did you have a different profile at one time? I never get tired of seeing your success, but swear I saw your pics under a different name at one point. Am I just crazy?

much <3
  • SunflowerSandra
    SunflowerSandra Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    pwlza88dtcyx.jpg

Left: August 2011 (170s?), Right: last week (143-145ish)
    Height: 5'6"

Apologies that the pictures aren't the same pose or in similar clothing. I've always been camera shy due to my weight, so I don't have official "before" shots, and I don't quiet consider myself an "after" just yet.

I started off my weight loss journey with strictly cardio and what I realize now was too large of a calorie deficit. I was 200 lbs at the beginning coming out of college but I don't have pictures from that time of my life. I didn't start weight lifting until I met my now husband (summer 2013). I was deathly afraid of the weight room, but after some strong encouraging by my husband and seeing the results of other women on MFP, I started picking up heavy things and putting them back down. Due to work/school demands, I have had intermittent dedication.

I have been consistently more serious since last November, down about 10-12 pounds since that time. I eat at a small deficit and aim to lift 2-3 times per week as my work schedule permits, but sometimes it doesn't happen at all if it is a busy week. I maybe do cardio once a month now, but I also am active at work. I would say I eat about 1600-1800 calories a day on average.

I'm very happy with my results so far. I plan to continue a slow cut because damn these thunder thighs! I've also never worn a bikini in public in my life so maybe this summer will be my year. I'm very nervous to post this publicly but I've drawn so much inspiration from the MFP forums over the years that I would like to give back. Congrats to all the beautiful ladies in this thread!

You call those thunder thighs?! Girl you look amazing! I think you can completely rock a bikini right now!

• Morglem
    Morglem Posts: 377 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I have thought the same thing. I don't think they are the same person though. was the other one adirontec or something like that? She looks awesome whoever she is haha

bbell1985 wrote: »
    Bulk city

8oavblzjdapb.jpg
    9dwfn7w84xn7.jpg

Ok, it is officially killing me. Did you have a different profile at one time? I never get tired of seeing your success, but swear I saw your pics under a different name at one point. Am I just crazy?

much <3

• That1Chick_Brit
    That1Chick_Brit Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    So ive been working on myself for awhile now, but recently switched to lifting. I LOVE it! Wish I would have made the switch awhile ago. Here is a before pic and my current. My before was in the very beginning of my journy, my current is a couple months into lifting. Ive actually GAINED weight since I started but ive lost inches. Im now wearing a size pants I havent worn in 12 years and I feel great! I wish I would have taken a right beforfe lifting picture. You wouldnt know it, but in the short amout of time ive been lifting ive seen some great things going on with my body. My back fat is almost gone! I had back rolls, just a couple weeks ago. Also my booty is a little higher and my shoulders and arms are more slender. If any of you gorgeuos ladies have any tips for me, please feel free to share! Im always looking to soak up good info and Id love to hear some of your dos and donts and go tos. sp6ku7qg6u28.jpg

Yes!!! We converted another one!

You look terrific!!! As for tips, what are you currently doing?

Thank you! @quiksylver296 Ive been kind of feeling everything out and seeing what I like, what I dont, What feels like its working and whats not. Generally I break it up into 3 sections. Upper one day, core, next, lower body nextand then a rest day. I do about 3 set/12 reps of mostly everything I do but im toying with more weight less reps. Id love to do more barbell work like squats and bench press and really push it, but I never have a spotter so is there moves or machines that I should be using that will give me the same resistance but in a safe way? I do dead lifts twice a week and they are by far my favorite thing to do. I'd love to find a good guide/regime to follow for a few weeks and see how it goes. Im still learning my way around it but its definitely me new found love. Ive see great things happening just while im feeling it out, I cant wait to see what happens when I get the hang of it. Oh Im still of a deficit too. I eat 1500 to 1800 cals a day

You would LOVE Stronglifts 5X5 if you want to do squats and bench and already love deadlifts. (Deadlifts are my all-time FAVORITE!!!) You can check it out at Stronglifts.com. They have an app you can download. It tracks your workouts, weights, and progress at the gym. Makes it super easy.

As for having a spotter, I did all of my lifting without a spotter. Just set the catch bar at the right height to save you if needed. A couple of times, I have dropped my bench on myself and had to roll it off. I just laughed and moved on. Felt like an idiot, but anyone who's lifted heavy knows failure happens. I've failed at squats, too, and dropped the bar onto the catch bars. It's loud and embarrassing, but again, heavy lifters know this happens.

I would strongly suggest you start using a proven progressive lifting program. You'll see progress/success a lot faster. I did Stronglifts for about 14 months before moving on to an intermediate program (Layne Norton's PH3).

You can check out lifting programs here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Thanks for the tip! I downloaded the app. Going to read up on it and give it a go!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!