Clean eating- does it matter?

Options

Replies

• comeonnow142857
    comeonnow142857 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Foods lacking in nutrients are not "unhealthy". If I eat 90% whole unprocessed nutrient rich foods, and 10% processed sugars, it does not follow that 90% of my diet is healthy and 10% is unhealthy. It is NOT the case that I am eating unhealthy foods in moderation. "Unhealthy" only exists in CONTEXT (dosage of poisons, overall malnourishment, allergies, etc).

A DIET lacking in nutrients (which a 100% "clean" diet is completely capable of being) is unhealthy. 225g of Spinach and 125g of pink salmon and a delicious, delicious Dairy Milk chocolate bar is a completely healthy lunch. And far more nutritious than a completely "clean" lunch of the same caloric amount of potatoes and chicken.

That dairy milk is no more unhealthy than the sugar in fruit. Nobody would refer to an apple as 70% healthy, 30% junk. And just like assessing that apple, it's unhealthy and potentially damaging way to look at an overall diet in that way.

(There are exceptions, like trans fats. But that has nothing to do with overall nutrient density).

"Clean" diets often leave people undernourished. We should strive to be nutrient rich within our caloric limits. There's NOTHING dirty about your twinkie in that context. In any sense that "lacking nutrients" is dirty, an unprocessed diet consisting of nothing but potatoes, chicken, and a variety of badly balanced but individually "high quality" wholefoods could be much "dirtier" than my chocolate and McD's Bonanzas, because my diet is more nutritionally dense and complete .

Yes, there is less room for low-density nutrition foods when your calories are really low.

"Nutrient rich & balanced diet" >>>> "Clean eating".
    I agree with a lot of what you said here. I ended up realizing that clean eating was a loaded term so I should have just said healthy, balanced diet. :) thanks for your input

i read your latest replies, I agree with you
  • comeonnow142857
    comeonnow142857 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    garber6th wrote: »
    Cancer meal means that ingredients in the food have been proven to cause cancer or cause death. When they make white bread and white rice in the process they get rid of good nutrition. This is in every single science article and all over the news almost every day in the past several decades.

Even though I am Jewish I gave up snarkiness for lent and this post is torturing me.

I love everything about this sentence
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    It might help to clarify which version of clean eating we're talking about.

Calories matter for weight loss. Good nutrition matters for things like hunger and health. But those can both be achieved with or without a "clean" diet.

Your diary shows a really low fat intake. I just want to be sure you're being smart about that because I can't imagine keeping my fat that low (and I have to stay low fat without my gallbladder).

Best of luck with your goals! :flowerforyou:

I have to eat low fat because fat cause my skin to break out and give me breakouts but I make sure I get my omegas from my greens on chronometer and if I don't, I'll have a tbsp of seeds. All my blood work is perfect for the first time in my life. I think eating clean just helps you feel full. For example, I'm going to feel a lot more full on a giant salad then two Oreos so I feel like it would be harder to feel full without eating clean

Who makes a choice between a giant salad, or two oreos? What harm will I come to, if I eat a salad AND eat Oreos, when I have room in my calories for both?

Others have asked, but it might be helpful for you to define what "clean" eating means to you - there are dozens of definitions and interpretations of this term, I personally think that makes it an unhelpful term to use - but if you cared to define what it means to you, then it might be easier to continue the discussion.

Also, about your friend... is she using MFP? Did you want to invite her into this discussion, or just talk about her eating habits and weight loss approach behind her back?

Lol she is sitting right beside me. Nothing is behind her back. I don't really care how she eats. We were both wondering because she wants to not feel hungry all the time but she hates veggies and fruits lol.

Clean eating for me is just food from nature, veggies, fruits, whole grains, beans, legumes, squash, potatoes, lentils and that type of food. Homemade- mini meal processing and delicious healthy food but everyone can have their own version. All I'm asking is if people think that eating healthier can make weight loss easier. I think yes but I know everyone is different. I was just starting an open ended talk.. not claiming I know the answer for everyone.

to the bolded, no.

If person A eats in a 500 calories deficit of "clean" (whatever those are) calories and person B eats in a 500 calorie deficit of supposed junk food then weight loss will be relatively the same.

However, person b's body comp goals will likely suffer.
  • JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I don't agree with that at all (and I'm someone who goes into an "I hate vegetables" thread and says that they are important and the person should work on learning to like them, and give cookbook recommendations.

I get kind of offended by such claims really, since I so frequently post about how important nutrition is (a real understanding of nutrition, not nonsensical clean eating) and enjoy talking about it, and see many others who are similar. It also suggests that most of us are recommending bad diets, and I've never seen that.

I would be interested in your comments on my posts in this thread, specifically the ones distinguishing between clean eating and nutrition. That I think processed foods can be fine or occasional treats does NOT mean I am not focused on nutrition or recommending it, and that people insist on reading things that way is IMO offensive and prevents real discussion.

I post posts like here, and yet people in the discussion continue making false dichotomies between those who "clean eat" and the rest who care nothing about nutrition. How is that not an intentional misunderstanding?
    When somene comes along and says, "Oh I can't stop eating cookies", they are barraged with.....understanding and acceptance. I find it especially funny how the oreos are globbed onto as if the OP wasn't just using oreos as an example to illustrate a point.

Again, not what I see at all. I am one of many people who often gives advice on dealing with difficulties controlling food consumption, including sweets. I just don't happen to think the one and only answer for everyone is never eat them. (And as I said above, I don't personally care about Oreos. I suspect one thing about them is that just one is quite low cal, much lower cal than the homemade cookies I have in my recipe box.)

Are you asking about this thread? Are you interested in actually having a conversation about it? If so, that would be nice.

The answer is because OP did not just say "I find it helpful to eat this way." She said "do you think clean eating matters" and gave an example that it did based a difference between her very specific diet (low fat and vegan as well as whole foods based) and her friend who supposedly eats only small portions of "junk." I 100% agree that some diets are more satiating than others -- I could not happily survive on only junk, as I understand that term -- but I also don't think one NEEDS to eat "clean" (let alone low fat and vegan) to be satisfied on a deficit, and that's why I don't think clean eating matters. Also, for nutrition I don't think clean eating matters or is even necessarily a good diet. I think eating a nutrient dense and balanced or complete diet matters, yes. Maybe for weight loss, if like many of us it helps you be sated, and definitely for nutrition.

But my answer to OP's question is still no, I don't think it matters, and the only alternative to her kind of clean eating is not a non nutrition and non sating diet.

You seem to be ignoring the question OP asked. I don't think people have been telling her to eat differently. If she likes how she eats it's great for her, and I certainly did not say otherwise.

(Of course this post will be ignored, the better to continue an argument against strawmen rather than what is actually being said.)
    (Of course your post will be ignored. I don't respond to people that end their posts with a claim that I'm not going to respond because I'd rather fight strawmen. That kind of arrogance wouldn't listen to anything I had to say with an open mind. Feel free to claim you were right...lol)

• crooked_left_hook
    crooked_left_hook Posts: 364 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Do I eat "clean"? Why yes, I do wash my vegetables because I prefer not to get bugs and dirt in my teeth.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    i am late to the game, but what definition of clean are we operating off of?

I should have just said a healthy balanced diet rich in whole foods

I'm glad you are open minded. I must say I get giggle when people say they wash their fruits and vegetables, therefore they are eating clean.
  • crooked_left_hook
    crooked_left_hook Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

I'm glad you are open minded. I must say I get giggle when people say they wash their fruits and vegetables, therefore they are eating clean.

When I said I washed my vegetables I was totally being sarcastic :wink: Personally the term eating "clean" annoys me...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    IrisFlute wrote: »
    Sometimes in these "clean eating" conversations, the concept of nutrition seems to get lost. I see repeated statements that calorie deficit is THE ONLY THING that matters, and that food choices are an irrelevant personal preference. Sure, there's a certain physics involved in weight loss, and you could lose weight eating nothing but candy bars if you count calories accurately -- but our bodies are more than just numbers on a scale! There are a whole bunch of nutrients we need, and more of those nutrients exist in foods like lean meats, cheeses, beans, dark green vegetables, whole grains, etc., than exist in cupcakes and soda. Nutrition is actually a real science. What you put in your mouth matters for more reasons than just calories. It affects our brains, our cardiac systems, all the delicate chemistry of our bodies.

Furthermore, when you're eating fewer calories than you burn, every bite of food you take becomes more important in terms of meeting your body's needs. For instance, I'm eating at around 1200 calories a day plus most of my exercise calories. At 1200 calories, my body's nutritional demands simply don't leave any room for foods that aren't nutrient dense. I have to make sure every bite is maximally nutritious, or I'd end up thinner but malnourished.

I also see a lot of arguments that "clean eating" doesn't exist, because it doesn't have an ironclad definition. It seems sensible to substitute the phrase "nutrient dense" for "clean." That's objectively measurable. If you eat a 250-calorie meal of kale and chicken, you'll be getting protein, fiber, Vitamins A, K, C, B6, manganese, calcium, copper, potassium, magnesium, selenium, phosphorus, and more. If you eat a 250-calorie meal of 2 cookies, what do you get? Some fat, some refined carbs, and maybe a bit of protein from eggs in the recipe?

It's also worth noting that added sugars are not a nutrient our bodies need. While scientists are still disputing the exact health outcome of eating more sugar than we need, nobody claims that our bodies NEED added sugar. We can get all the sugars we need from eating fruits and vegies and grains that include fiber and other important nutrients in the same package.

So while we're eating fewer calories than we're burning, it doesn't make sense to squander those precious calories on something our bodies just don't need.

I completely agree. I think if a lot of people checked their food intake on chronometer.com (which shows your whole RDA) instead of just MyFitnessPal, they'd realize how many nutrient deficiencies their diet may be contributing to. I think you'll have an easier time excercise he, sticking to a diet and generally moving around your life if you are eating a nutrient rich diet with minimally processed foods

You haven't read a single thing we've posted, have you? YOU CAN STILL EAT A NUTRIENT RICH DIET AND NOT EAT CLEAN. In fact, from your description above you're doing it right now.
    I've read everything. My definition of clean is just healthy. All I'm talking about is healthy vs the standard American diet
    A lot of Americans eat homemade food. It's just calorie dense. Lots of them cook from raw and fresh foods. Is this what you describe as the American diet, or are you just referring to junk food?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

When I said I washed my vegetables I was totally being sarcastic :wink: Personally the term eating "clean" annoys me...

Of course....that's the beauty of humor. :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

None. OP clarified that she just meant a mostly healthful diet, not some version of "clean."
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight on ANYTHING. I've lost 5kg/12lb before eating ice cream and cakes because I monitored my intake to prove it can be done.

The reality is however eating mainly junk will drop fat, and improve many health markers.

However, inflammatory response to damage inside the body may not be repair as well and give ill health in later life.

I'd rather eat mostly clean and the occasional bit of junk, to keep longer overall health.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Matt_Wild wrote: »
    You can lose weight on ANYTHING. I've lost 5kg/12lb before eating ice cream and cakes because I monitored my intake to prove it can be done.

The reality is however eating mainly junk will drop fat, and improve many health markers.

However, inflammatory response to damage inside the body may not be repair as well and give ill health in later life. (im not so sure about this, can you cite something?)

I'd rather eat mostly clean and the occasional bit of junk, to keep longer overall health. (Which is EXACTLY what everyone has been saying.)

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Foods lacking in nutrients are not "unhealthy"...... "Unhealthy" only exists in CONTEXT (dosage of poisons, overall malnourishment, allergies, etc).

A DIET lacking in nutrients (which a 100% "clean" diet is completely capable of being) is unhealthy.

I really like this.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Foods lacking in nutrients are not "unhealthy"...... "Unhealthy" only exists in CONTEXT (dosage of poisons, overall malnourishment, allergies, etc).

A DIET lacking in nutrients (which a 100% "clean" diet is completely capable of being) is unhealthy.

I really like this.

Me too. The whole post was a really nice explanation.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Did it matter? Not really. I was a "clean" vegetarian for 4-5 years and was at my highest weight ever. Now I'm more of a 60/40 person. ;)
  • nickiphillips1
    nickiphillips1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I think I eat clean. I eat mostly vegetables, fruit, whole grains, fats, and fish and lean meats.

I don't eat refined sugar (causes inflammation), dairy (causes inflammation), soy (can turn to hormones), and rarely eat gluten.

I have Multiple Sclerosis and I started swimming competitively after 14 years off. I make smoothies with ginger and tumeric to cut inflammation.

I have to avoid hormones because I had a pulmonary embolism 3 years ago.

I feel really good. It is good for me. I don't judge others for what they eat. It works for me.

I have had problems in the past with walking and needing a cane and I don't right now. I had horrible weight gain with menopause. I am starting to finally lose weight after 3 years.

I believe everyone has their own path.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter to ME.