WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2017

Options

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,528 Member
    Options
    8qcapbaizews.jpg
    Today is national siblings day
    the melgoza clan, only known picture where we're all together. according to eleanor & janie, I was about 3yrs old. From left to right, me, Eleanor, Raymond (the man is some worker), then tony, Janie then Jessie holing the money. If I was 3, then Jesse, the oldest had to be 13, we're 10 yrs apart.
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,749 Member
    Options
    NYKaren … I believe that this “freshman thing” is called growing up…

Yvonne … I agree that a degree is important … no matter what it’s in … and that’s one of the reasons why we agreed to the music industry degree. My DH, who does not hold a college degree, but went to trade school … was eventually held back at his present employer … despite the fact that the vice-presidents and president contact him continually because of his knowledge base. At one point, he was told him that if he wanted any more promotion he had to go to college … because those levels had a college education requirement… they would even pay for it … but it was when he was still a swing shift worker and we had a lot going on with our son and he couldn’t see a way to do it. So that “piece of paper” means an awful lot in today’s world.

Cheryl … I remember you! Welcome back!

So the diagnosis is “pes anserine bursitis.” It’s self-limiting and since I’m already showing improvement, I don’t need further treatment (like cortisone) at this point. I’m to lay low and not duplicate the stupid things I did on Friday! And I’m to expect at least 4 weeks until I see complete improvement. I do know that obesity is a contributing factor and I need to take this as a serious wake up call. My knees demand that I take off as much weight as I can. Before I regained some of my 70+ pound loss, my knees were feeling great …

Becca … I’ve been limited on what I can make for myself the last few days and this afternoon a friend dropped off dinner … barbecued chicken, rice and sweet potatoes … and then a 9x9 pan of some frosted chocolate thing … none of which is really part of my normal eating habits … So I ate it, enjoyed it and will move on tomorrow (I did not eat the whole chocolate thing!!)

Beth near Buffalo

• pyanko7
    pyanko7 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Hugs everyone. You are all such wonderful women (wonderwomen) !

Take care. Have a great day

Paula Y.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Well my girls had a real tough time their freshman year in college. Christina, even though she declared a major, I think she really just wanted that Mrs degree. She found the man her first day and she really didn't try that much after that. After he graduated, she tried even less. She didn't go back after they got married on Christmas break. I thought she had just the one semester to go and surely that wouldn't be hard to get but she told me that she only had enough credits to put her through her junior year. But with what her jobs have taken her, she has gained so many different things. I can not believe the places her jobs have taken her. It just shows that a college education doesn't hold that much meaning to me. Now Michelle is a different story. She went to college, I know she did. I took her there. But that's about it. She enjoyed dorm life and I'm not sure she went across the street to attend classes. At the end of the year, her GPA was .667. She says it should have been .666 but it was a Baptist school and they morally couldn't give a .666. She also has so much street smart that she has thrived so much in her adult years. Both of them could have been in a much larger pay grade in the jobs they wanted when they were planning for college but it doesn't matter to them. They are both happy.

Speaking of college, my 10 year old grand daughter is saving quarters. She has over $22 now. She wants to make sure she has enough money for the washers and dryers in college!

We did the final pick of our outdoor trim colors today. I had wanted burgandy and a mid range grey but Charlie didn't want the burgandy at all. And he was saying that if I didn't want his colors, there would be no painting. End of discussion. So today I made him looks through the color books the painter gave us. He gave me names of colors and I wrote them down and then we went to paint stores. I showed the sales people a picture of our house and said we wanted to recreate that color scheme. She brought out the colors he picked and they were so red. Finally she brought out a color that she loved. It was burgandy. So I let him pick out the grey to go with it also. He thinks he has picked out both colors. But I got the exact red I wanted, he just hasn't realized it yet. But that also changed the color of gutter. I don't think it goes well with the burgandy so we are going to have to look at the colors of gutter again to see what the greys look like. We could get uncolored gutters and have the painter paint them but that will cost another $350.

Yeah Mia!!!!!!!

Joyce, Indiana
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,334 Member
    Options
    Hello lovely ladies!

I only made it up to page 8 of March's thread and then Epic took over my life with go-lives at work again. And now here we are on page 24 before I even jump in on April. Good golly! My bad! You guys must roll your eyes when you see me! LOL! At least I keep trying...

I want to at least keep myself accountable and set new goals. Hopefully I will get caught up and be able to maintain some sort of conversation with the group this month. :wink:

Finally got a sewing area set up in the basement so I'm excited to get busy trying to quilt again. Maybe I'll actually finish the quilt I started 3 years ago. LOL! I think my DH would faint.

Work is still stressful in the world of Epic training. My boss retired at the end of March. She was my boss but also was my friend, my mentor, my confidante, my cheerleader...20 some years we worked together. I cried a lot that day. I miss her a lot. They sold their house and moved up north to their cottage on the lake. I hope to get up there and see her one of these days this summer.

I can't wait to get a few hours to catch up. I left March starred as a favorite so maybe I can catch up on last month's too, but I'm guessing I'll be lucky to read the 24 pages of April I'm already behind on...

I hope you are all doing great! Spring is here! Yea!!!

March Goals:
    1. Drop one size in pants :/ Nope. Been emotionally eating for 2 months and am SO MAD at myself!
    2. Make exercise a habit at least 3 times a week. :( Nope.
    3. Reduce added sugars :) Much better than before!
    4. Hit my water intake goal 24 of 31 days :) Not 24 days but darn near.
    5. Write down 5 things I'm grateful for at the end of each day, no matter how big or small. :) Every single night. It's how I end my day.

April Goals
    1. Hit mini goal of -5 lbs
    2. Make exercise a habit 4 days out of the week now that it's getting nicer outside
    3. Decrease carbs <75g 5 out of 7 days a week
    4. Continue reading my "Simple Abundance..." book, working the assignments and writing in my gratitude journal.

Tracie in Green Bay, WI

2017 Word: Serenity
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    ⚓⚓
  • therwil
    therwil Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Tracy I love how you quantify your goals. It's great how weight is only one of them. This makes you successful in my books. Joyce in Edmonton
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Lanette - I love the sibling picture, thank you for sharing. BTW I love your name, my youngest daughter's middle name is Lynnette. <3

Janetr OKC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Lanette: I love the family photo. The clothes and hairstyles bring back loads of memories. I was a big fan of saddle shoes, but they didn't fit me well and nearly always gave me blisters. My parents called them saddle-oxfords. I haven't heard that term in ages but I put it into google and there were lots of shoes that popped right up. Most were white with black saddles. It looks like they're back in fashion. :bigsmile:

Becca: That is some bicycle! :smiley:

I am ready for rest. Have a good evening, everyone.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • BinWa
    BinWa Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone... 52 & new here as of yesterday :) I am from Washington State and looking forward to being a part of this group and giving/getting support as needed.

Brenda
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Kate UK <3