April 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @girlinahat I am a little late in commenting - but I agree with everyone else - Your pictures are breathtaking and an example of why we love running trails. Hope the migraine go's away and lets you get back out on the trails.

@7lenny7 Yes the Emperor's Challenge area can get quite windy and wet, which is why there is a Wind Turbine farm on an adjacent ridge. Buts it just so much fun. Between the Trail Race and your evening run with Kody Smiling I am a little envious.

The ice finally broke on the river and our trails were just starting to dry out from the Winter Snow and today got hit with 8" of Heavy wet slush so no trail running for a while longer.
  • iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    13/04 - Headache-enforced rest day, charging up for Easter
    14/04 - 4.25 mile Increased pace, followed with 2mile Interval, Biceps & Triceps supersets

exercise.png

Completed
    11/03 - 10K Run The Solar System (thanks for the tip) - 52:01
    12/03 - TM Half Marathon (plugged in the MK HM route - attempt 1  ) - 1:54:02
    25/03 - TM Half Marathon (plugged in the MK HM route - attempt 2  ) - 1:53:53
    Coming up:
    • 15/04 - TM Half Marathon (plugged in the MK HM route - attempt 3)
    • 01/05 - Milton Keynes HM
    • 18/06 - Run-Bedford-Run - 10K
    • 02/09 - Bedford HM
    • 24/09 - Windsor HM
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Going to try my first fully fueled long run today, having a couple pieces of sourdough toast with blackberry preserves now, and bringing 3 gels on the run. Plan is to see how it goes having a gel every 5 miles, so 3 gels for the 17 mile run. Had to switch my run to today, because there are thunderstorms in the forecast for tomorrow, with a possible 3 hour window of OK weather in the morning, but who wants to risk a thunderstorm rolling through on a run?
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwo_ Not me. :) I don't consume alcoholic beverages. Now local bike shop and mountain bike club did a Dirt and Doughnuts Gravel Grinder (one year they did cupcakes). Get a time bonus for every doughnut consumed on course. Except, once again, something else I don't really consume-- get sick after just one. Maybe I'm the anti-Homer Simpson: no beer. No doughnuts.

Doh!
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    @dpwellman I'm tempted to try out the Frees, but I really do like the Vomero, especially for the cushioning with the distances that I tend to do, that I'll probably give the 12s a shot first.

@_nikkiwolf_ Nope, not weird; as I said previously, I don't care what Strava says, as I get all the metrics I care about from Garmin Connect anyway. Strava, to me, is a nice way of showing support for friends and their activities.

@MNLittleFinn Good luck with the 17-miler today!

Today's run was a small one intended to keep the legs fresh ready for tomorrow's race. For some reason, my HR was up (average 153, high of 172, for a slow run???), but I suspect that was because I wore the Scosche on the outer of my forearm and not the inside like I normally do. Or it could be just one of those days. Who knows. *shrug*

03 - 13.37
    04 - 9.59
    05 - 13.39
    06 - 10.75
    07 - 13.36
    10 - 10.73
    11 - 9.27
    12 - 8.16
    13 - 8.89
    14 - 2.33

Total: 99.84 / 175 miles
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    @lporter229 and @MobyCarp Wishing the 2 of you safe travels and best wishes at Boston on Monday! I know we're all excited for the two of you!!

Also, if you happen to leave any clothing along the way, here's an article about the lady who started collecting it for donations. 50,000 lbs are now collected!!! Wow!!

http://news.wgbh.org/2017/04/12/local-news/what-happens-50000-pounds-clothes-left-boston-marathon-start-line
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ - While I am a data nerd and probably obsess over my training plans and data at least as much as most of us here, I'm also not bothered by the final reported difference of a run in an app if it comes up a little short. For me I have a target distance to hit on my run and run until I got that distance on my Garmin (plus about .01 by the time I stop it). At that point I got my goal no matter what any app says, so it doesn't bother me. Like you I have had races come up short and if I don't get to record a PR that irritates me, but I also have other places where I can enter my PR. Strava lets you enter your PR manually, Garmin does not. So unless Garmin comes up short I can fix it. Case in point, according to Garmin my longest ever run was 14 miles, yet I have run 3 full marathons and numerous runs over 14 miles. So no point in depending on Garmin (or any other app) to know everything.

As for Runalyze, I'm tempted but I already use several apps. I am using Sport Tracks currently for seemingly similar data and LOVE it! I have even been building my training plan from the data and loving that my actuals are matching up closely to the forecasts. I designed this last base building phase I just finished using it and am very happy now that I completed it to be where I planned to be. I also tweaked my next base building cycle upwards a bit as my original plan might have been too easy and the final week would not have improved my fitness but remained flattish. The mileage is a couple miles higher than I would have ever thought to do before, but I also know that my past mileage increases were based on "general advice" and not data like this. Runalyze is something I'll probably check out also and see if it can either add more, or even just as a check against Sport Tracks.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today - Miles for April
    4/1 20 miles - 20
    4/2 10 miles - 30
    4/3 REST DAY
    4/4 10 miles - 40
    4/4 4 miles - 44 << Daily Double
    4/5 6.2 miles - 50.2
    4/6 6.2 miles - 56.4
    4/6 4 miles - 60.4 << Daily Double
    4/7 REST DAY
    4/8 16 miles - 76.4
    4/9 REST DAY
    4/10 7 miles - 83.4
    4/11 7.5 miles - 90.9
    4/12 REST DAY
    4/13 8 miles - 98.9
    4/14 5 miles - 103.9

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH 8K - 3/6 <<< 34:33 3 in AG
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10 <<< 1:36:33 3 in AG
    PEO-AVN Team Day 5K - 5/4 <<< 19:10 (2.9 mi) 1 in AG 5 OA
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30 << 44:57 PR
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler 6/25 << 1:20:22 1 in AG & 15 OA
    Huntsville Half Marathon - 11/12 << 1:35:55 2 in AG & 25 OA
    Rocket City Marathon - 12/10 << 2:44:41
    Elkmont Hound Dog Half (unofficial) - 1/21 << 1:46:48 2 OA
    Elkmont Hound Dog Half (rescheduled) - 2/18 << 1:41:04 1 in AG & 24 OA
    Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/29

• WhatMeRunning
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Well, I already set up my Runalyze account. Looks like I have to import activities manually (which is a time suck) but they are going to allow for auto-synch with certain apps at a later date. I'm looking forward to that. I'll probably import my last months activities during some free time soon to get a decent look at the tool, but I will admit I am not fond of having to take time to pick a tool to export from then import here when all of my other apps already auto-sync with each other. I guess I'm lazy! :lol: Knowing me, I'll probably make the time to do this, and I'll probably love yet another new tool. :smile:
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    @garygse To me, Frees felt like well broken in Vomeros as far as support, cushioning goes. . . well, initially. After this first four miles my feet felt pretty much the same they felt running barefoot on the shoreline. That is not a bad thing, at all. That lasted only a couple days, anyway.
    Pairing with Injinji socks, even better. <3
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    @lporter229 and @MobyCarp I wanted to wish you guys an awesome race up at Boston. I hope to be there next year.
  • Run4life375
    Run4life375 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I got caught in a thunderstorm today, but it ended up being an amazing run!

exercise.png

Halfway there!
  • WhatMeRunning
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Looks like I have a race to add to my schedule due to a discount offer through a deal my employer just sent out to the company. I won't be "racing" it though. :smile:

This spring is shaping up to be rather interesting at work.

Firstly they offer a "Healthy Living Discount" on insurance costs if you meet criteria for doing healthy activities, one of which is a "Get Fit" program that records activity minutes over a 6 week period during which anyone who records over 900 minutes of activity earns half of the points needed to get the full discount for next years insurance. I tend to get the remaining points over the rest of the year through race events, but even without racing the difference could be filled by getting physicals, dental and eye exams, etc.

Secondly, they sent an email company wide about a week ago announcing a "Half Marathon Training Program" with the goal being a target HM possibly some time in June (and bi-weekly training runs on campus for employees to run together). Naturally I signed up for that. They also sent a discount for a 10k/HM event that weekend but I had a 10 miler planned for that day and was not willing to change it to either a 10k or HM so I passed on that discount offer.

Then today an email was sent to the folks signed up on that HM program offering a 25% discount to next weekends Garmin Oz Runs here in Kansas (Olathe to be exact), which is a 10k/HM/Full event. They were mostly talking about the 10k as a training run, but I have a scheduled 12 mile run planned for that day so I decided to go ahead and sign up for the HM. I will need to run it nice and slow though as that is the first long run of a new base building cycle with increased mileage. Still though, I'm a bit stoked as I had not planned on running any events at all for a couple more months (at least).

If they keep sending offers like this, with the option to run with fellow coworkers, it could turn into a much busier race season than I expected!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Am I weird for not worrying about the exact distance shown after uploading my runs?
    Wednesday's run showed up as 14.67km on my watch when I finished, and now it reads as 14.7km on runningahead, and 14.6km on Strava.

It only bothers me if I run a race and Strava chops off enough that I don't get credit for a PR for that distance.

Nope. Cuz ya gotta figure it's only so accurate to begin with (unless it's sanctioned).
  • hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Y'all are amazing to try and keep up with reading, let alone running.

Very persistent migraine has been keeping my mileage disappointingly low. Have pulled off two early morning mini runs, and one walk with a coworker. (1 mile, 2.2 miles for the runs, and 2.9 for the walk.). Which has me at 44.6/100

Luckily the "long run" plan for the week isn't anything too rediculous, was simply going to be to see if I can run 6 miles without any walk intervals (I know my friend can already do this.).
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    April goal: Stay healthy, get my runs in and increase my long run distance
    Nominal mileage goal: 191 miles

4/1- 15.23
    4/2- 3.14
    4/3- 7.07
    4/4- 3.69
    4/5- 9
    3/6- REST
    4/7- 5.12
    4/8- 17.58
    4/9- 4.05
    4/10- 7.13
    4/11- 3.79
    4/12- 9
    4/13- REST
    4/14- 17

Total: 101.8

Today's notes: I swapped my scheduled 5 miler for tomorrow's long run due to the potential of thunderstorms tomorrow.....That said, I almost would have rather run in a thunderstorm than today's run. Temp was great, at about 45F, with clouds overhead. The problem was the sustained 10-15mph ESE winds. I had a tail wind for, perhaps 2.5 miles of my run, and that was great. The rest of the run, the wind was either trying to blow me off the road (it was successful a handful of times), or in my face, trying to blow me backward (not successful at that).

At first (for the first 11 miles) I thought I had a handle on the wind, averaging 9:36 pace, including the first big uphill, which was right into the wind.

Boy, was I wrong. 11.5 miles in, I took my first walk break. Over the next 5.5 miles, I saw my pace slip slowly from that amazing 9:36 to a final average of 10:09. As walk breaks continued, a right calf cramp and left, lower quad cramp killed off any hope of getting momentum going again. After mile 12 (10:17), my fastest split was mile 17 (10:21) Miles 13-16 were all in the 11-12/mile range.

To say that I had to embrace the suck today is an understatement....the suck took me out back and whooped me today (that's the most polite way I can think of to put it)....

That said....I can still be Okay with my run, I managed to keep my pace faster than 4:30 marathon pace, despite the nastiness....So I guess there's still some hope for a 4:20-4:25 marathon yet.

2017 Races
    6/16- William A Irvin 5k
    6/17- Grandma's Marathon (Full!)
    8/19- Rampage at the Ridge 5k OCR
    9/23- Ely Marathon (full)
    10/21 Wild Duluth 50k??????
    11/23- TBD 5k Turkey Trot
  • WhatMeRunning
    Options
    Way to tough it out @MNLittleFinn. Wind is a *kitten*.