UGH

Options

Replies

• leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    leajas1 wrote: »
    Have you figured out your calorie limit on MFP yet?

No I'm not sure how to do that

As I said before...

Enter your stats in MFP, along with an accurate activity level, goal weight, and reasonable rate of loss. MFP will calculate a calorie target for you. Eat a variety of foods to achieve that calorie target, focusing on those that provide nutrition (macro and micro nutrients), satiety (fills you up) and enjoyment (keeps you happy while losing). Track as accurately as possible. Exercise if you enjoy it, eating back a portion of those calories when you do. Monitor and adjust over time.

Yes, your first step is to do this to get a target calorie goal.

Then either buy the staples that janejellyroll suggested or look up the calories on the $ menu items if you want to stick with that and track EVERYTHING in MFP. Stick to your calorie limit.
  • leajas1
    Options
    It can seem overwhelming tracking everything and figuring out the app at first, but it's also exciting! After a week or two you'll have it down.
  • LahrysaTebo2015
    LahrysaTebo2015 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    You could lose weight eating off the dollar menu too. Might not be the healthiest, but you either want this and are ready for it, or you don't and you're not. It's all about choices. We were all not ready at one point in time. Maybe you're just not there yet.

I've been fat my whole life and I don't want to be... how am I not ready

You aren't willing to put in the effort to do it. You're making excuses such as not being able to afford to eat less food. If you are married to the idea of the dollar menu, go once a day instead of twice. Or simply order fewer $1 items each time you go.

Yeah because my $5 a day I have to spend is obviously going to get me A TON at the grocery store

$5 a day is $35 a week and I could shop healthy on that. *shrug* How bad do you want it?

Pretty bad

And I get paid daily. Not weekly.

This is going to sound rude, or crazy, or both, but: You know that you don't have to spend all your money at once, right?

I made 80$ a day. After bills I have to put money away for I have 5$ a day for food
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    OP - do you have access to a cooler, or a freezer and how can you cook (stove top, oven, microwave?) We are all assuming you have access to a kitchen and fridge. Do you?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    You could lose weight eating off the dollar menu too. Might not be the healthiest, but you either want this and are ready for it, or you don't and you're not. It's all about choices. We were all not ready at one point in time. Maybe you're just not there yet.

You aren't willing to put in the effort to do it. You're making excuses such as not being able to afford to eat less food. If you are married to the idea of the dollar menu, go once a day instead of twice. Or simply order fewer $1 items each time you go.

Yeah because my $5 a day I have to spend is obviously going to get me A TON at the grocery store

$5 a day is $35 a week and I could shop healthy on that. *shrug* How bad do you want it?

Pretty bad

This is going to sound rude, or crazy, or both, but: You know that you don't have to spend all your money at once, right?

I made 80$ a day. After bills I have to put money away for I have 5$ a day for food

And what do you normally spend that $5 on today, off of the dollar menu? Same thing every day? How many meals? Have you tried logging the calories of those foods? How does it compare to the calorie goal that MFP provides you, when you put in your stats and a goal?
  • LahrysaTebo2015
    Options
    junodog1 wrote: »
    OP - do you have access to a cooler, or a freezer and how can you cook (stove top, oven, microwave?) We are all assuming you have access to a kitchen and fridge. Do you?

Yes. Shared with my roommate though
  • leajas1
    Options

That's not a problem unless he/she steals your *kitten*.
  • LahrysaTebo2015
    Options

He won't if it's healthy food hahaha
  • LahrysaTebo2015
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Pretty bad

And what do you normally spend that $5 on today, off of the dollar menu? Same thing every day? How many meals? Have you tried logging the calories of those foods? How does it compare to the calorie goal that MFP provides you, when you put in your stats and a goal?

I usually get a chicken wrap at 3pm and 8pm some times I have a bagel in the morning
  • LahrysaTebo2015
    Options
    Op, what's your current weight? Current height? How many calories are you consuming now?

290 lbs 5'7 and about 2,000

I was going to do calculation for you to figure out how many calories you can consume to lose one pound a week, but I'm missing some information. The good thing is MyFitnessPal can generate this information for you right away. Please follow the steps below for the information to show up:

I'm on the mobile app
    1. Click on More (on the bottom)
    2. Input the following information below
    A. Current weight
    B. Goal weight
    C. And weekly goal (I would start at lose 1 pound to see how things go)

A box will pop-up asking if you want to update your goals click on the "yes" icon.

If you can eat the calories goals listed, and track it into myfitnesspal and you're eating at a deficit you'll lose weight. I've lost 35 pounds so far eating the calories MyFitnessPal told me. You got this Op! Please let me know the calories MyFitnessPal listed for you to lose at 1 pound a week. If you can track it into your diary and do this on a daily basis this will help you stay on track. I would normally eat back at least 50% of calories I burn from working out. I would normally take a 30 minute walk when I was starting out (no gym membership).

• LahrysaTebo2015
    Options
    Op, what's your current weight? Current height? How many calories are you consuming now?

I was going to do calculation for you to figure out how many calories you can consume to lose one pound a week, but I'm missing some information. The good thing is MyFitnessPal can generate this information for you right away. Please follow the steps below for the information to show up:

I'm on the mobile app
    A. Current weight
    B. Goal weight

A box will pop-up asking if you want to update your goals click on the "yes" icon.

If you can eat the calories goals listed, and track it into myfitnesspal and you're eating at a deficit you'll lose weight. I've lost 35 pounds so far eating the calories MyFitnessPal told me. You got this Op! Please let me know the calories MyFitnessPal listed for you to lose at 1 pound a week. If you can track it into your diary and do this on a daily basis this will help you stay on track. I would normally eat back at least 50% of calories I burn from working out. I would normally take a 30 minute walk when I was starting out (no gym membership).

But I don't feel like I could eat that much
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Pretty bad

Why can't you adjust and have a weekly budget for food purchases and putting money away for bills, etc.? Why do you have to spend $5/day vs. $35 (or even $25)/week?
  • LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

I'm on the mobile app
    A. Current weight
    B. Goal weight

But I don't feel like I could eat that much

Feel free to eat 2,000 than :) this means you'll just lose slightly more than 1 pound but definitely less than 1.5 pounds. Track everything you eat into your dairy in MyFitnessPal even food from the dollar menu. Start seeing how much you consume if you're eating 2,000 calories you should be eating at a deficit and thus losing weight. However, weight can fluctuate so give it a few weeks. If you want to eat from the dollar menu I definitely think that's fine as a Taco Bell eater when I was in college I get it. All you need is a deficit so it's fine.

Let us know how things go for you!
  • leajas1
    Options

He won't if it's healthy food hahaha

I have two little roommates, ages 10 and 8. I hide my most coveted food because when I'm eating in a deficit, have planned a day out, then find out something is missing...oh, no! On a budget like yours it's especially important to make sure he knows your food is off limits unless he asks.