Options

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    Options
    vespiquenn wrote: »
    lilawolf wrote: »
    This might be an odd one, but I don't know if it's just that I'm more confident or it actually has to do with looks. But since I started my fitness journey, I have had to deal with many aggressive males. I've been sexually assaulted in a bar, followed in dark areas, etc. This never happened before, so I can't really figure out what to attribute it to. Either way, I really hate it because I don't like being fearful of places or people.
    Don't want to 'like' this, but I have noticed similar.

Neither of you should "have to" but have you ever thought about doing Krav Maga or a similar self defense oriented martial art? It really helps with the confidence, and also so that you don't carry yourself like a victim. I've never been followed or attacked in any way despite traveling and being out on my own a lot. I think that has a lot to do with how aware I am, the calm eye contact I make, etc...

Sorry, you lost me at "carrying yourself as a victim." But yes, I have taken self-defense classes. That has nothing to do with it. But I'm glad you haven't encountered this.

It wasn't specifically called "carrying yourself as a victim" but this was covered in my self defense class. And in the Girl Scouts.

I'm thinking back over my history with harassment and note it dropped precipitously while I was in the military so wonder if I developed some sort of "don't mess with me vibe" while I was in there. I was in a macho specialty and was the only female in my tech school class and duty station sections. I received a lot of attention, but no harassment, except from a supervisor who didn't think women should be in the military, so not the sort of harassment under discussion. I did observe this, though.

I also wonder how working with machine guns, shotguns, and WMDs changed me.
  • LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    So much sadness ...worst part is my stomach now being an angry old man when i bend over LOL
    oqmi86aa9ro3.jpg

//--/
    biz68xa6mbcl.jpg

@JaydedMiss Hi, I know you're feeling sad about your stomach. But I want to let you know that the stomach doing that when one bends down or even sitting down is pretty normal. Not everyone will look the same keep that in mind. But Even for people that are in a healthy weight this occurs. The only people that don't face this is someone who has a very very low body fat.

Livestrong response:

When you're standing up, your stomach looks flat and toned, but when you sit down or bend over, the rolls of fat appear. This happens to almost everyone, and there's a very simple explanation.
    When you're standing up, your body is stretched out and your abdominal fat is extended over a larger area. When you sit down, your abdominal area compresses, bringing all the abdominal fat together, making it seem copious. Only people with very low body fat don't experience this.

I once read an article on yahoo about an Australian fitness blogger who mentions she had the same thing happen to her: I can't find the article but see the image below of her. It's all about posture in your profile picture you have good posture and you don't see the belly roll or the old man that you mention.

Now to answer the Ops question it's not the worst but I've noticed I've lost volume in my breasts, so they've reduced down a bit. They're still pretty decent, but I've lost some of the "fullness" per se.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    So much sadness ...worst part is my stomach now being an angry old man when i bend over LOL
    oqmi86aa9ro3.jpg

//--/
    biz68xa6mbcl.jpg

Hi, I know you're feeling sad about your stomach. But I want to let you know that the stomach doing that when one bends down or even sitting down is pretty normal. Even for people that are in a healthy weight this occurs. The only people that don't face this is someone who has a very very low body fat.

Livestrong response:

When you're standing up, your stomach looks flat and toned, but when you sit down or bend over, the rolls of fat appear. This happens to almost everyone, and there's a very simple explanation.
    When you're standing up, your body is stretched out and your abdominal fat is extended over a larger area. When you sit down, your abdominal area compresses, bringing all the abdominal fat together, making it seem copious. Only people with very low body fat don't experience this.

I once read an article on yahoo about an Australian fitness blogger who mentions she had the same thing happen to her: I can't find the article but see the image below of her. It's all about posture in your profile picture you have good posture and you don't see the belly roll or the old man that you mention.

Now to answer the Ops question it's not the worst but I've noticed I've lost volume in my breasts, so they've reduced down a bit. They're still pretty decent, but I've lost some of the "fullness" per se.

hah yeah im not worried my profile pic and that pic were same day xD Just an annoying thing to have happen, Which is the point of the thread. stupid gravity
  • rachelr1116
    rachelr1116 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, shrinking out of my clothes is both awesome and awful. I volunteer at a living history museum and make elaborate Victorian dresses to wear. Dresses that are made to fit a certain way and just don't look right if they don't fit your body. They aren't easy to alter and the fabric will only take so much ripping out seams and re-sewing anyway. And I have a skirt I loved wearing to work, the whole 2 months it fit properly. I can alter it but I don't want to go altering everything now and just have to do it again in a few months.
  • LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    hah yeah im not worried my profile pic and that pic were same day xD Just an annoying thing to have happen, Which is the point of the thread. stupid gravity[/quote]
    @JaydedMiss - gravity does suck! Thx for explaining glad you aren't worried about it! :smile:

Congrats on your weight loss and progress! I've jealous of your food pics!
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    The gas. Somehow eating enough fiber and protein and vegetables is causing me to have toxic gas issues.
  • Lesscookies
    Lesscookies Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Um some loose skin on my arms :(
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,982 Member
    Options
    For me the worst part has been having to buy all new clothes. It is expensive and I really hate to shop. I see people on here who like shopping now that they can find cute clothes that fit. But I still don't care for it. I do have some loose skin I wish would tighten up some, but I would rather be at a healthy weight than not have it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    Options
    Being cold all the time!

I have never been so cold! It wakes me up in the middle of the night. It's April and I still have two blankets and a down comforter on my bed.

Without knowing your indoor and outdoor temps "April" is pretty meaningless. As is usual for Massachusetts, we've had radical changes in temperature and need the AC one day and the heat another.

If it's in the 80s in your room and you're cold, see a doctor.

If it's in the 60s in your room and you're cold, add layers, starting with wool socks.
  • gardenofthemoongoddess
    Options
    socializing makes me anxious and I would have a few drinks to ease that. Not being able to drink, although better off for my health in the long run, has been difficult. Also, some of my clothes that I actually loved before I lost weight are too big now lol.. go figure, I wish I could still wear them :)
  • jroy1999
    jroy1999 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Love to eat here too, so the calorie restricting. And it takes forever--down almost 18lbs, but still have about 13-14lbs to go. I cannot wait to get to maintenance!
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Replacing/altering your clothes.
    I have some beautiful skirts and party dresses that are now way too big, but they're so cute and one of a kind. I don't want to throw them out or donate them especially because they'd now look even better on me then they did when I was bigger, so I'm staring down the long process of either learning to sew properly so I can fix them or paying a seamstress to take them all in.
    It hurts me soul. :(

I had all of my favorites altered. It was well worth the money.
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    what is kitten??
    "kitten" is how the app/website replaces words it considers offensive.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    This might be an odd one, but I don't know if it's just that I'm more confident or it actually has to do with looks. But since I started my fitness journey, I have had to deal with many aggressive males. I've been sexually assaulted in a bar, followed in dark areas, etc. This never happened before, so I can't really figure out what to attribute it to. Either way, I really hate it because I don't like being fearful of places or people.

Neither of you should "have to" but have you ever thought about doing Krav Maga or a similar self defense oriented martial art? It really helps with the confidence, and also so that you don't carry yourself like a victim. I've never been followed or attacked in any way despite traveling and being out on my own a lot. I think that has a lot to do with how aware I am, the calm eye contact I make, etc...

Sorry, you lost me at "carrying yourself as a victim." But yes, I have taken self-defense classes. That has nothing to do with it. But I'm glad you haven't encountered this.

It wasn't specifically called "carrying yourself as a victim" but this was covered in my self defense class. And in the Girl Scouts.

I'm thinking back over my history with harassment and note it dropped precipitously while I was in the military so wonder if I developed some sort of "don't mess with me vibe" while I was in there. I was in a macho specialty and was the only female in my tech school class and duty station sections. I received a lot of attention, but no harassment, except from a supervisor who didn't think women should be in the military, so not the sort of harassment under discussion. I did observe this, though.

I also wonder how working with machine guns, shotguns, and WMDs changed me.

See it's funny, because this is my general attitude. I am feisty as hell, so if you rub me the wrong way, I will let you know. In the case of the physical assault, it was actually in front of my husband. So it obviously had nothing to do with being vulnerable as it did control. And we aren't talking a butt grab. Dude full on felt me up from top to bottom, and whispered in my ear that he would be finding me later. I was too busy trying to push my husband back from trying to deck this guy that I didn't get the chance to myself. I just didn't want to deal with police over some idiot. But earlier that night, I had told this guy to shut his mouth because he was bothering me, asking where my husband was (outside smoking), etc. I guess he took it as a challenge.

It just is an odd phenomenon. Maybe I should go back to being timid again. Then again, even when I was timid, I had a guy corner me at the bar, propositioning me for "favors" in the bathroom. Maybe I should just stop going to bars. Haha.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

Er. Ironically, I've lost my weight so far through doing martial arts.

I may or may not be lacking in confidence, but at this point, the only thing that's going to give me more confidence in the short-term is going to be pretty intensive therapy. ;)

I'll grant you I don't look very intimidating, as a fully paid-up member of the titchy crew, but the only remedy for that is probably cosmetic surgery or taking up body-building. Well, I say 'bodybuilding'. I think I mean steroids. Lots of steroids.

• brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options

I was never sexual harassed until I lost weight. When I was big I could have just body slammed him. I'm scheduling a self defense course at the end of the summer for myself :)
  • DoneWorking
    DoneWorking Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Alidecker wrote: »
    Maintenance

This, I didn't do so well in maintenance...I am now trying to lose again. It seemed easier the last time I lost these pouinds.

That's why I'm here again too. However, this time I know better than to leave.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    elsesvan wrote: »
    when at a social event/party with friends and I say no thanks to wine, chips or that extra you like to keep away from for a good while, and they point out to me that I should enjoy myself-just this one time- They have a hard time accepting the fact that I am actually really enjoying myself, both with their company and that I'm able to eat just enough of what is served to keep me in tune with my weightloss.
    (What I did with this was to say to my friends; I am enjoing myself a lot,and if it's difficult for you that I am trying to loose weight I can not participate next time, so please don't worry about me not enjoying myself- because I really do ;) )

I just smile and say "oh, gosh, I don't need a cupcake to have fun - I've got YOUR COMPANY!" ;p