Any "Last Stubborn 20 pounders" out there?

Options

Replies

• Renae_Nae
    Renae_Nae Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I've got the last 10 that just don't want to come off!!!
  • Jelybe
    Jelybe Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I had 15 lbs to lose. I counted calories and worked out and those 15 have just been clinging to me. I have recently lost 5 of those pesky pounds, but I had to drop carbs AND count calories to do it - along with working out at least 6 days a week. I have a thyroid condition, though - so I don't think that everyone would need to do something this strict. But I'm thrilled about the 5 lbs being gone! THRILLED.
  • Mickie17
    Mickie17 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I had 15 lbs to lose. I counted calories and worked out and those 15 have just been clinging to me. I have recently lost 5 of those pesky pounds, but I had to drop carbs AND count calories to do it - along with working out at least 6 days a week. I have a thyroid condition, though - so I don't think that everyone would need to do something this strict. But I'm thrilled about the 5 lbs being gone! THRILLED.

That's awesome!!!! Congratulations!!!! :happy:

So....do you have to be careful with your carbs now?
  • Mickie17
    Options
    SO it sounds like there's a bunch of us trying to figure out how to get that last bit of bulge to budge! There's got to be a scientific reason that it won't go....something so simple, that if we could just figure it out....it will leave us forever.

If anyone comes across some article, research, etc., would you please post it for us? I'll make an effort to do the same...and maybe together we can find something that works!?
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

Okay, I DON'T want to burst your bubble. You should always be proud of every goal you reach.

But I'm just letting you know that, when we drop carbohydrates, we lose a lot of water and stored sugar from the muscles and liver. In fact, we use it all up. That accounts for several pounds of weight loss. So, when you do start eating carbs again, you're going to refill those glycogen stores and re-gain that weight. It's not going to be fat, so you don't have to worry about it. Don't be upset if you step on the scale and see part of that loss has been regained.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    SO it sounds like there's a bunch of us trying to figure out how to get that last bit of bulge to budge! There's got to be a scientific reason that it won't go....something so simple, that if we could just figure it out....it will leave us forever.

If anyone comes across some article, research, etc., would you please post it for us? I'll make an effort to do the same...and maybe together we can find something that works!?

The reason is probably a little different for everyone.

For me, it's due to extra estrogen and already being fairly lean. Sometimes I wish I could stop taking my pill! :explode: Trying to reach sub-20% body fat ranges is hard for a female anyway. The closer we get to 10-12% body fat, the more energy our bodies will try to reserve. It's our bodies' way of keeping us menstruating and fertile, which I really won't ever need. :grumble:

It's a good idea to track body fat rather than pounds toward the end, especially if you have a good deal of muscle mass. You can retain a lot of sugar and water and that can cause big scale fluctuations.
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    How can you track body fat? Do you mean size-wise?

I've noticed that my back doesn't "fall out" of the bra as much anymore, which to me is a step forward. Is that what you mean?

I have a lot of muscle mass from years of ballet, plus from the current working out regimen. I look in the mirror though and see that I still have more to lose, as I know what I want my torso area to look like.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

I've noticed that my back doesn't "fall out" of the bra as much anymore, which to me is a step forward. Is that what you mean?

I have a lot of muscle mass from years of ballet, plus from the current working out regimen. I look in the mirror though and see that I still have more to lose, as I know what I want my torso area to look like.

You can actually estimate your body fat through different means. The most available and inexpensive form that still maintains some accuracy is a skinfold test. Someone trained to use calipers will take measurements at specific sites on your body. They measure the thickness of a skin fold and use equations to determine your body fat percentage.

Other ways that are widely available are bioimpedance and circumference measurements, but they have about an 8% error. So if you get a 20% reading, you could be anywhere from 12-28% body fat. Bioimpedance monitors are pretty expensive and you have to make sure your hydration, activity, and TOM are constant each time you measure, and even then it's not very accurate.

More expensive but accurate ways are hydrostatic weighing and Bod Pod.
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    I've got the last 10 that just don't want to come off!!!

And I'm gonna kick yer butt...:laugh: Just keepin:wink: you motivated lady!
  • may_marie
    may_marie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    argh ... the last 10 pounds for me,,

i've not lost 1 ounce since 2 weeks (just about to go bananas...) BUT,,, the fat % test on the scale tells me im down 3% and i mesured last week and was 1/2 inch down on my hips..

i keep thiking that the scale with catch up .. but whatever my body is doing .. its not doing well on the scale.. i dunno what to think... i know the scale should dictate how i feel and concentrate on the achievement i have so far.. but i want to reach my goal !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

anyways ... feels better now that i ranted about it .lol
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options

You can actually estimate your body fat through different means. The most available and inexpensive form that still maintains some accuracy is a skinfold test. Someone trained to use calipers will take measurements at specific sites on your body. They measure the thickness of a skin fold and use equations to determine your body fat percentage.

Other ways that are widely available are bioimpedance and circumference measurements, but they have about an 8% error. So if you get a 20% reading, you could be anywhere from 12-28% body fat. Bioimpedance monitors are pretty expensive and you have to make sure your hydration, activity, and TOM are constant each time you measure, and even then it's not very accurate.

Thanks for that info. It's hard to say what my BMI is simply due to the muscle mass that I know I have (my calves are rock hard, for example). Not sure I'll go to such lengths to figure out the body fat percentage, though. All I want really is to get smaller in the waistline. :wink:
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

Thanks for that info. It's hard to say what my BMI is simply due to the muscle mass that I know I have (my calves are rock hard, for example). Not sure I'll go to such lengths to figure out the body fat percentage, though. All I want really is to get smaller in the waistline. :wink:

Oh, I haven't paid attention to my BMI in a long time. I'm 'overweight' and have been for years, regardless of how much body fat I've had! I primarily use measurements as well. I can use the mirror to see how much definition I have, and my pant size to determine if I'm losing fat. I'd like to get down to a size 2/3 (being 5 feet tall I think that's reasonable).
  • Mickie17
    Options
    I get the "inches" thing..and I KNOW I've lost inches, and can see & feel it in my clothes when I lose inches. I guess I'm still trying to get the actual weight off my body, because of my knee. Whether it's fat or muscle, it adds stress to my knee...so that's why I am so adament about losing the "weight."

You know it's funny, I was thinking about the gal who's down to a size 8, (AWESOME, by the way), and I realized, for myself, I'm really, truly not thinking about going down pant sizes and all (I mean it'd be great to wear a size 4 again, HA, but I don't want to go out and spend the money on all new clothes)...I really am worrying about getting this weight off my knee. (I blew it out 4 times, 3 times within 2 years...so after reconstructive surgery, I'm very concerned about blowing it out again....or equitably worse, blowig out the other knee). My doctor advised me to get my weight down...did you know for every pound you carry it's some crazy number lmore of of an amount of weight stress on your knees & feet?

So I guess I need to work on "leaning" out...not getting bulky. Does this make any sense????
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    I get the "inches" thing..and I KNOW I've lost inches, and can see & feel it in my clothes when I lose inches. I guess I'm still trying to get the actual weight off my body, because of my knee. Whether it's fat or muscle, it adds stress to my knee...so that's why I am so adament about losing the "weight."

You know it's funny, I was thinking about the gal who's down to a size 8, (AWESOME, by the way), and I realized, for myself, I'm really, truly not thinking about going down pant sizes and all (I mean it'd be great to wear a size 4 again, HA, but I don't want to go out and spend the money on all new clothes)...I really am worrying about getting this weight off my knee. (I blew it out 4 times, 3 times within 2 years...so after reconstructive surgery, I'm very concerned about blowing it out again....or equitably worse, blowig out the other knee). My doctor advised me to get my weight down...did you know for every pound you carry it's some crazy number lmore of of an amount of weight stress on your knees & feet?

So I guess I need to work on "leaning" out...not getting bulky. Does this make any sense????

Yea, some people do have to sacrifice fat and muscle mass because of orthopedic problems. I have the same problems when I start running...I have large quads and that worsens my runners knee. I wouldn't mind losing some muscle mass in my legs, but at the same time that would decrease my BMR. :cry:
  • Mickie17
    Options
    Oh, I haven't paid attention to my BMI in a long time. I'm 'overweight' and have been for years, regardless of how much body fat I've had! I primarily use measurements as well. I can use the mirror to see how much definition I have, and my pant size to determine if I'm losing fat. I'd like to get down to a size 2/3 (being 5 feet tall I think that's reasonable).
    [/quote]

You know what...being 5'2...AND 1/2" :laugh: , I think you are absolutely right that 2/3 is do-able for you. I mean I use to wear 4's all the time...I probably never will again, because mostly, after I had kids my hips changed. (I got down to my pre-pregnancy weight, and nothing was the same anymore. Once I came to grips with that, I was okay with it, because I became a little more curvy). Do you feel like taller people hear how much you weigh and say, you aren't overweight...because for them, 125, 130, 135...is NOT overweight for them? For people like us, 125 is not as ideal, as say 118. I always say, when I gain a pound, it REALLY shows, and it does....and when I lose one, it shows too. It all about our body frame. My husband could gain 5 pounds...and you'd wonder where he gained it...he can also lose it by just breathing, UGH! But if I gain 5 lbs, I can't fit in my pants. I, admittedly, envy taller people who can carry more weight. Anyone got a taffy puller for petite people??????:laugh:
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

You know what...being 5'2...AND 1/2" :laugh: , I think you are absolutely right that 2/3 is do-able for you. I mean I use to wear 4's all the time...I probably never will again, because mostly, after I had kids my hips changed. (I got down to my pre-pregnancy weight, and nothing was the same anymore. Once I came to grips with that, I was okay with it, because I became a little more curvy). Do you feel like taller people hear how much you weigh and say, you aren't overweight...because for them, 125, 130, 135...is NOT overweight for them? For people like us, 125 is not as ideal, as say 118. I always say, when I gain a pound, it REALLY shows, and it does....and when I lose one, it shows too. It all about our body frame. My husband could gain 5 pounds...and you'd wonder where he gained it...he can also lose it by just breathing, UGH! But if I gain 5 lbs, I can't fit in my pants. I, admittedly, envy taller people who can carry more weight. Anyone got a taffy puller for petite people??????:laugh:
    [/quote]

Oh gosh, I got up to 144 this summer and I looked like a totally different person than I do just 13 lbs lighter (where I am now). I had to go up a pant size and they were snug! I can tell too when I gain 5 lbs, it shows in my legs and stomach. If I was 3 inches taller I'd look perfect! LOL a taffy puller...sounds pretty painful!! :laugh:
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Im close, and suceeding. My first weeks were hard because I had to learn what worked for me. The food diary is excellent but not perfect as each of us is different. So I use that as my "guesstimate" amounts. I eat from all the 5 basic food groups. I eat 5-8 meals a day, just depending on circumstances and whether I am hungry or not. Small portions so they are easily metabolized in my bod, 96 ounces of water instead of just the 64 recommended. I walk 4.2 miles 6 days a week, but not perfect. I've missed a day here and there. In fact, when I stopped trying to be perfect at this, I really relaxed, started enjoying it and losing. Some days I eat less than my food diary tells me, by about 100 calories or so and.........some days I go over(some like 300 over!!), and some under(more than 100 calories under). I feel good and I don't get "starved" ever. I take something from what every winner posts here and I apply it to my own plan. Everything I do I learned here basically. For me that 1 lb loss a week seemed so little at first, now, I know it's the best for me because I needed the time to form the good habits I will probably hang onto the rest of my life:drinker: :drinker: denise in OR

PS Write me anytime if you want to know some food ideas etc. :happy: Or maybe you can share some with me:bigsmile:
    What's working for you? I'm in this range, and it's frustrating. I'd love to hear what;'s working for you!!!
  • Mickie17
    Options
    Oh gosh, I got up to 144 this summer and I looked like a totally different person than I do just 13 lbs lighter (where I am now). I had to go up a pant size and they were snug! I can tell too when I gain 5 lbs, it shows in my legs and stomach. If I was 3 inches taller I'd look perfect! LOL a taffy puller...sounds pretty painful!! :laugh:
    [/quote]

Songbyrdsweet....I TOTALLY understand what you're saying...isn't is strange how diferent we can look so fast? I gain most of my weight in my butt/thighs...but the rest of me takes enough of a share too. (PS...that photo of your back looks amazing!!!):flowerforyou:

As for the taffy puller...I'm game....I'l try anythiing at this point!!!!!:laugh:

NW CountryGal...got any great suggestions for recipes to build a lean body??? That's my new mindframe, I'm going for healthy, lean & trim!
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm now officially back at the weight were it seems like the scale refuses to budge from!

I am surfing the crimson wave right now, so maybe at next week's weigh-in I will show a loss. I'll be pretty dang excited if that is the case.

I didn't let the scale sway my emotions this morning when I weighed in, so that was a success.

I have bumped my calories back up this week to 1400. So we'll see if this gets something going. I am also working on cutting some "white foods" from my diet as well.
  • Mickie17
    Options
    Well, I'm now officially back at the weight were it seems like the scale refuses to budge from!

I am surfing the crimson wave right now, so maybe at next week's weigh-in I will show a loss. I'll be pretty dang excited if that is the case.

I didn't let the scale sway my emotions this morning when I weighed in, so that was a success.

I have bumped my calories back up this week to 1400. So we'll see if this gets something going. I am also working on cutting some "white foods" from my diet as well.

I refused to get on the scale yesterday, after the "Supper" Bowl, because didn't want to depress myself for takinga moment to have culinary reckless abdonment....but UH OH...I got on today....3 lbs!!! I GAINED 3 pounds...ev eryting I've los tin the past two+ weeks. My discouragment is when I an so good all the time, and then I take one moment to have "fun" and it blows everything for me. I'm exhausted....but I refuse to give up! Did anyone else have set-backs after the SuperBowl?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!