WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2017

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather: I envy your yoga today. I hope you have a great time. :smiley:

Allie: I'm sorry the pollen is "kicking your butt." I hope you find ways to ease things. I take Allertec when I just can't deal with it anymore. It helps and is not as bad as some of the other medications out there. It is Cetirizine HCL, 10 mg per tablet. None of the antihistamines are great for you, but according to my research this is better than many of the others. Good luck :flowerforyou:

Lisa: Congratulations again!!!!! I am so pleased for you that I had to say it more than once. This will be a challenge that will engage your bright mind and let you work for a greater good. Wonderful!!! :star::star::star:

Anya in CA: Welcome to a great group! :smile:

Karen in VA: You have a brilliant way of dealing with temptation. Imagining e-coli all over the treats at work is pure genius. :devil:

Beth near Buffalo: (((HUGS)))

Meredith DeVoe1: Congratulations on earning your Master's Degree!!! :star:

tessy2names: Welcome to a great group! :smiley:

Vicki GI_NE: Welcome back! It is so good to see you again. :flowerforyou:

Jane from Kent: Welcome! I recommend yoga to help combat arthritis. It has certainly helped me with range of motion and reducing aches and pains. A number of women I know like swimming to help their joints. They look for warmer pools. :heart:

Joyce: I love quilts on a bed. They make a room feel instantly cozy. :flowerforyou:

Claudia in Seattle: I have some sandals that are great for walking on sidewalks or gravel paths, over rocks at a river's edge & on beaches. They're good for wading, too. I found them at REI. They have several brands. I like the TEVA's I found on the boy's rack. Happy shopping! :smiley:

Sue in WA: My mom taught me that Gravenstein apples are great for pie and for applesauce. :star:

Barbie: I love your quotation today. “The secret of contentment is knowing how to enjoy what you have, and to be able to lose all desire for things beyond your reach."-- Yutang Lin

I have an eye doctor appointment at 8 am tomorrow morning in Portland. What was I thinking?????? Who wants to drive 30 miles and be somewhere by 8 am??? I drove much further than that when I was working but I'm retired now. This is a regular annual exam and I don't expect any surprises beyond the surprise that I grabbed such an early time slot. :grumble: :grumble: :grumble:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

Nothing is impossible, the word itself says 'I'm possible'!" -Audrey Hepburn

• DanaReel180
    DanaReel180 Posts: 463 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Good night y'all!
    I had a busy busy day! The compression stocking really helped me. So much so I helped my DH take down the wire fence that we had up to keep Dolly dog in. I also pulled weeds and picked up logs that Dolly dragged around the yard!! I feel that we accomplished a whole lot.
    We took Dolly to the vet to get her rabies shot and Nexgard. It was nonstop!!

I hope you have a successful day tomorrow and if not, keep on going.

Good night my friends!
    Dana
  • pyanko7
    pyanko7 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Lovely drive today. Made it safe and sound. Stopped at the book store and picked up Margaret Atwood's "The Handmaid's Tale". Just read a few pages and know its going to be a good one.

Becca - I make everyone take their shoes off at the door when they come to my house. I personally like to be bare foot in the house, year round, but my main reason is because there are so many people in this City that spit on the ground and I don't want that being tracked into my house. We have had an outbreak of Tuberculosis and Mumps in the City this year. I know it is because of these disgusting habit.

Hugs to everyone!
    Paula Y.
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies,
    Well dang I took my leftover lasagna noodles, stacked them on my cutting board and cut long noodles! Nuked the bit of sauce, with a hunk of French bread.....yum! I inhaled it! When I donate blood I am so hungry. I came home and promptly took an hour nap! I think I had my best time yet, with 4.48 minutes. That is timing the moment I was stuck, until I was done and he said stop squeezing! Now all of you that can donate, its really only 30 minutes out of your day. I donate at an Elks Lodge in Seaside, and its a great motivational place. I look around at all the mounted Elk heads on the wall and think wow at least I am having a better day than THEY are!! Haha! Poor Elk...

Going to bed soon, 4:30 am comes early. Husband has another dermatology surgery appointment tomorrow at 9 am in Portland. With him taking his anti rejection medicine, his immune system is affected, so getting pre cancerous leisons is a side affect. The doctors are dealing with some on the top of his head. We have an early appointment because they take slivers off, look at them microscopically, until the leisons show no concerning cells. So its many people in the waiting room with gauze wraps. I'm bringing my tablet,to look at pretty pictures, and type to you all!
    Night night!
    Becca
    The resourceful one in
    Oregon
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    All of a sudden ... so busy with work, and university, and the club where I'm a volunteer, and another couple personal projects.

M in Oz
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Morning all lovely sunny day here in Liverpool. Going back to the gym today, first time after the cataract op. Looking forward to it (who would have thought I'd ever say that) what a difference a year makes.
    Will check in later

Kate UK <3
  • dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Leigh - Lilies of the Valley are my favourite flower. I have some in my yard but DH and his friend put one of the sheds on top of them. I was a little irate.

Lisa - I am so happy for you. It sounds like a very interesting, fulfilling job. It is even better that it came through Rori. Women supporting women, it just doesn't get any better.

Coffee & Pie - T-Tapp?

Meredith - Congratulations on your Master's

Vicki - It's hard to lose your Mom. I'm sorry that you've been having a hard time.

Kim and Rori - Hope you enjoyed your time together.

Marcelyn - Killian is another cutie. Isn't being Grandma just the best thing?

Chris - That's a place I could happily spend time in. Thanks for sharing.

Paula - I've been thinking of getting "The Handmaid's Tale". Let me know how the read was. Will you go to the movie?

Last few days have been painful. My back, hip and ankle are all giving me grief. It's not like it's a surprise or like it hasn't happened before. I am usually pretty good at dealing with it, after all I've had 17 years of practice.
    I did have Xrays done on my back and ankle to see what is happening but now to find a doctor since mine is on an indefinite medical leave.
    Went to Medicine Hat on Saturday after work. It is a little over 2 hours away. We picked up by DB and DSIL to go with us. We got the 3 stair for the bathroom entrance on the trailer. Supper was at the Cheesecake Cafe. I miss having one here. Frank was very distracted and just not himself.
    Sunday - I stayed in my pjs until 11 with heat on my back and my hip. Accomplished quite a bit in the house. Talked to our accountant. Larry has not been feeling good. Maybe a bout of diverticulitis? He hasn't been careful with his food choices. Jheri and her kids came over for a bike ride. It was the first time this year to be out on Sparkle Orange. We stopped at the school playground for Keira and decided that was enough. The wind was just too much for it to be fun. There will be other days. I knew Larry really wasn't feeling well when we missed our Sunday afternoon movie.

Monday - Work was crazy busy and we were understaffed. It is frustrating for everyone.
    I picked up my sweet Harmony after work as she was not feeling the greatest and wanted Grandma snuggles. I now know a lot about all the positions her newest Barbie can do. She showed me some of the hand positions for ballet. She asked me " Will we be observing my Auntie Jheri today?" She loves her big words almost as much as she loves her Auntie.
    My back was so painful that I could hardly move but the heat helped somewhat. We went out to the farm after supper. I visited with my friend, Joan, who was upset because her dog Mr. Mugs had gone over the Rainbow bridge. Muggsy was 14 and had gone blind, deaf, become arthritic and incontinent. He was in a lot of pain but still hard to lose a faithful companion after all those years.

Today work wasn't as crazy but we had a real winner come in. He wanted us to return breast shields that had been opened. We politely explained that it was against the Health Canada regulations. He was fairly aggressive, swore at us, asked us if we were stupid, etc. I told him to leave. He said he wasn't going to and I told him yes, you are leaving now. He did leave giving us a well known sign and telling us what we could do to ourselves. I should have found out which colony he was from and given the Boss a call.
    Heating pad again. Wanted to ride my trike after supper. Larry convinced me that a walk would be better. He got upset when my ankle gave out about half way home. I'm sure he was just concerned and doesn't know how to communicate that but it didn't feel very nice.

I am still thinking of my goals for this month.

Good night Ladies

-Sharon in Lethbridge.

PS Did I mention my grandson passed his Learner's Permit?
  • pitegny
    pitegny Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Lisa: congratulations on the new job; how lovely of Rori to help you make the connection.

Meredith:
    congratulations on finishing your thesis and having it accepted - a huge accomplishment!

Ruth, Moma, Anya, Jane and Claudia:
    welcome to the group!

KarenVA:
    had to laugh at your tactic for avoiding workplace food traps! Having had salmonella poisoning once, I can confirm it is something noone wants!

Beth: sorry to her about your truck; hope it is not too serious.

Kelly: the story about the little boy and lunch is priceless. I bet his parents spend a lot of time biting their tongues!

Teresa: It is nice that your friend is going to join you on your weight loss journey!

Marcelyn:
    Killian is adorable!

Sharon: sorry about your pain; hope you can find something to help relieve it! PS: If my DH put a shed on one of my flower beds, I would be furious!

Claudia:
    I love my New Balance Women's WW895v2 Superlight Walking Shoe; they have laces, but just slip on. It has memory foam that you can adjust. I have had them for two years. Hope they are still making the shoe, because I want another pair.

My NSV today: I ran up the stairs to answer the phone this morning. Missed the call, but then realized I had run up the stairs. It been ages since I could do that!

- Leigh in France
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Morning, my DD was officially offered a summer job--yippee. But---I am afraid this job came to her too easily and she won't learn about grit and perseverance . Okay I will stop and just be happy that she will have $ coming her way--she comes home next week!! :)

Welcome Claudia stick with this wonderful group of smart strong women, the advice and accountability works B)

The rest of my week should be speedier and happier, keeping my food plans in the front of my mind, counting blessings AND calories.
    NYKAREN

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,707 Member
    Options
    Yaaaaaaaa Lisa~ just so wonderful and happy for you .. I can see you smiling from here :)
    Slept well, except Homer wanted to go out at 2 this morning, and if he hops off the bed and wants to get back off Chester starts growling and goes after him.. geesh
    I have an appointment with attorney on May 12th at 9 am.. going to feel her out and bring all the stuff I have accumulated.
    It is cool and we will have frost tomorrow morning.. say what? its May for crying out loud...
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,216 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Hi all!

Sharon - My DH does that too. He gets upset when he can't do anything to help me and it comes out as a grumpy and depressed mood. Really he just feels helpless. I have to explain it all to him, very carefully. ;)

Sending happy vibes to Lisa to join her in her joy. :drinker:

Lanette - My arm is gradually improving, but not fast enough for me. :# I hit the ground very hard indeed and hurt my left hand, both knees, my upper right arm (massive bruise) and my right wrist and lower arm. Plus I banged my chin. I literally "dived" onto the pavement. Two of my friends were doctors, one an ex orthopedic surgeon, so they looked at it. One examined the wrist and said it wasn't broken and the other made me straighten and twist the arm and said I hadn't broken the lower arm bones. Later she emailed me to say that she may have been over optimistic and there may be a hidden break,
    I suspect a tiny hairline crack, but I hope it will settle by itself. As long as it improves I won't go for further investigation. Getting a hospital appointment etc is more trouble than it's worth. It could just be tendon damage.
    This morning it felt good enough for me to try the rower, but after three strokes I abandoned that idea! It took me well over 2 hours to achieve my 600 calorie daily rate this morning - bike, elliptical and floor, but I wanted to get it done, because with DH out at cricket I know my willpower would not get me to the machines in the afternoon. I'm still a bit "while the cat's away ......" type of person. :*

It's definite got to be an AF day today with him gone. :o

We're having Avgolemomo (Greek soup) for lunch, so he feels he's had something hot today. He's taking Melton Mowbray Pork Pie, celery sticks, cherry tomatoes and two baked custard tarts. :D Good job he's skinny!!!! It's going to be chilly this evening under the floodlights. He feels the cold. Grey and miserable out there at the moment. :(

Lots of love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    Allie - Sending you good thoughts for your meeting with the attorney. Don't hold back on his behaviour. :#
    Hugs from over the pond. <3<3<3

Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • gotu52
    gotu52 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    <3 Sarah ftcygk31qfh7.gif
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,830 Member
    Options
    Good morning! Good morning! Happy Wednesday! I was up early today, again to get my DYS off to work (3:45am), so I have eaten a good breakfast already! Whoot! I also figured out, while I was cooking it; I always thought I was preparing my eggs over easy, but there is no "over" to the eggs and I add a bit of water to the pan to form the sheer white over the yolk. Basted! I eat my eggs basted! I am not sure why. I will have to ask my siblings if my parents ate or fixed eggs this way. Oh well, file that under weird things that pop into my mind in the wee hours of the morning.
    As I watched the local news this morning, they had a segment on "Can money buy happiness?" I found it pretty disappointing as it seemed to pander to those who HAVE money; by giving advice on how to spend/save your money to perhaps achieve happiness. Now, I don't believe money can buy happiness. Happiness is a mental state and you have to find that within yourself. No one person or thing can make/keep you happy. BUT, money can relieve the stress and pressure of life's hardships and make it easier for you to find time to FIND the happiness inside you. One of the points the segment made was *Don't make earning money your focus. For those who struggle financially, what you are earning, need to earn to pay bills and get by, IS your focus. Constantly. You don't want it to be; but it is. Sometimes I find news pieces like this so out of touch and bourgeois. (Hmmm...I just looked up bourgeois to see if it was the word I actually wanted to use and part of it's definition is "middle class"- I must be lower middle class; because we definitely are not bourgeois or have a "rich" lifestyle).
    NY Karen- Jobs always seemed to fall into my daughter's lap, also. It was nice for her, but, yes, eventually she had to put some effort into securing a job and it did give her some anxiety and perhaps a little perspective. LOL! Perspective comes to us all at some point. Always glad when the kids are employed, though! Teaches them things that we as parents can not!
    Allie- Good for you with the appointment with the lawyer! Hands in the air for taking care of yourself! Whoot!
    Leigh- Applause for your NSV! That is a big one, racing up the stairs and not being out of breath after doing so! I LOVE lily of the valley! It makes me think of my grandmother. She had a large patch of it growing in her yard and would keep sprigs of it in the house. The smell is enormous and heavenly for such a small and delicate flower!
    Sharon- Congrats to your grandson on his learner's permit! Oh the nervous days as a parent of a new driver! :# Your DGD sounds adorable. Aren't kids funny how they give you these little glimpses into their minds and how they play with their toys. Although, when my daycare boys try to talk to me about their favorite video games, I am just lost. All I can do is nod and say "Wow!" I think some of them sense my cluelessness! :/ Hugs to you and hope your back is feeling better soon!
    Machka- Sometimes busy with work is good! Will be keeping you in my thoughts as you go through this hectic time!
    Becca- IN my mind, lasagna is always a good dish for any event! Will keep your DH in my thoughts as he has his next appointment.
    Paula- The Handmaid's Tale! I see that it is now a tv show (I won't watch, as I don't watch a lot of tv) but it did raise my interest in the book(s) it is based on. Let me know how that book is!

Well ladies, time to get busy and make some pancakes for the kiddos. LOoks like no rain today, so we will be able to walk to the neighbors houses to deliver our May baskets today! The kids will enjoy that. I will take some pics to share tomorrow.
    ttfn xoxoxoxo KJ (Kelly)
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Allie - sending good vibes your way as well as you meet with the attorney - the more you can tell her, the more she can help you. You got this, girl!

Lisa in West TX
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,552 Member
    Options
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,054 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    Both Karens - My DYS is just like that. My DOS not. Completely different. ;) Personal skills, what they used to call EQ, is a vital tool in the job market.

Heather UK xxxxxxx