Say goodbye to sugar

Replies

• ItsAllMental819
    ItsAllMental819 Posts: 68 Member
    OP, the ONLY rule to weight loss is to eat fewer calories than your body uses in a day. It doesn't matter (for weight loss) whether those calories are sugar, fats, carbs (which sugar is), or protein. It doesn't matter what time of day you eat those calories. It doesn't matter if you eat them all in one sitting, or in six different small meals per day.

ALL THAT MATTERS FOR WEIGHT LOSS IS EATING FEWER CALORIES PER DAY THAN YOUR BODY USES.

Good luck.

Believe what you want, we all have our own opinions & yes the key to losing weight is caloric deficiency but how you do it matters. If you eat all your calories at 8am your metabolism slows. If you eat all simple sugars you'll burn them, be hungry and probably become a type 2 diabetic... There are different types of carbs (complex carbs) too, not just sugar.

Now if your trying to lose fat and not muscle you need to eat enough protein so your not losing both or just muscle.

Nothing wrong with cutting sugars and it is healthy... I always keep them under 45g daily & under 20g when cutting. Fat on the other hand I don't regulate but don't go out of control - just eat a lot of eggs and steak so it comes with the territory.

Imo macros DEFINITELY matter if you wanna be healthy and not just lose weight as the OP stated but to each there own... Good luck to you in your journey.

I would like to see your citation about metabolism slowing if you eat all of your calories in the morning. Get hungry, lower energy, moody, those I can get behind. But how much does the metabolism slow and by what mechanism?

Overall, all that we know about the OP exists in a couple of threads here. In this particular thread we get:
    Let's face it one of the biggest reasons why we gain weight are sugar and fats...let's say goodbye to them and move forward to a healthier and better life

This doesn't sound to me like someone who fully understands weight loss or good nutrition, which is why I've been so anxious to get them to come back and clarify their stance on cutting fats. I don't think it's out of the question to get back to the basics for this particular OP as @quiksylver296 has done in the post you quoted. I just don't get the hate for telling someone how weight loss occurs when the OP specifically stated how they think it occurs and was wrong. Information is good.

Overall I'm not agreeing with the OP... Just disagreeing with many of the responses - again everyone has their own opinions on what works & I have mine. I was speaking about sugars not fats as you've read in my first post.
    There was no hate involved, just disagreement unlike the hate & those sayin I was just wrong in numerous responses to my post :D Yet, no one pointed out where I was wrong... just that apparently I didn't go with the flow so therefore I'm not liked.

I agree, information is good...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3374835/
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    OP, the ONLY rule to weight loss is to eat fewer calories than your body uses in a day. It doesn't matter (for weight loss) whether those calories are sugar, fats, carbs (which sugar is), or protein. It doesn't matter what time of day you eat those calories. It doesn't matter if you eat them all in one sitting, or in six different small meals per day.

ALL THAT MATTERS FOR WEIGHT LOSS IS EATING FEWER CALORIES PER DAY THAN YOUR BODY USES.

Good luck.

Believe what you want, we all have our own opinions & yes the key to losing weight is caloric deficiency but how you do it matters. If you eat all your calories at 8am your metabolism slows. If you eat all simple sugars you'll burn them, be hungry and probably become a type 2 diabetic... There are different types of carbs (complex carbs) too, not just sugar.

Now if your trying to lose fat and not muscle you need to eat enough protein so your not losing both or just muscle.

Nothing wrong with cutting sugars and it is healthy... I always keep them under 45g daily & under 20g when cutting. Fat on the other hand I don't regulate but don't go out of control - just eat a lot of eggs and steak so it comes with the territory.

Imo macros DEFINITELY matter if you wanna be healthy and not just lose weight as the OP stated but to each there own... Good luck to you in your journey.

I would like to see your citation about metabolism slowing if you eat all of your calories in the morning. Get hungry, lower energy, moody, those I can get behind. But how much does the metabolism slow and by what mechanism?

Overall, all that we know about the OP exists in a couple of threads here. In this particular thread we get:
    Let's face it one of the biggest reasons why we gain weight are sugar and fats...let's say goodbye to them and move forward to a healthier and better life

This doesn't sound to me like someone who fully understands weight loss or good nutrition, which is why I've been so anxious to get them to come back and clarify their stance on cutting fats. I don't think it's out of the question to get back to the basics for this particular OP as @quiksylver296 has done in the post you quoted. I just don't get the hate for telling someone how weight loss occurs when the OP specifically stated how they think it occurs and was wrong. Information is good.

Overall I'm not agreeing with the OP...

Perhaps that what caused the confusion. The posts you were responding to WERE responses to OP and pointing out that it's not healthy to cut out all fat and sugar. And you seemed to take issue with that.

You said:
    Believe what you want, we all have our own opinions & yes the key to losing weight is caloric deficiency but how you do it matters.

Here you seem to think that people were saying nutrition doesn't matter for any purpose. No one was, period. It's a rather uncharitable assumption to make.
    If you eat all your calories at 8am your metabolism slows.

This has not been supported.
    If you eat all simple sugars...

This is an absurd strawman. Protein and fat (and vegetables, IMO, other than in extreme cases) are required for good nutrition. People even pointed this out in response to OP, as it's one reason why NO sugar and fat is a bad idea.

You for some reason ignored the actual discussion and what was being said, the context, and went off about how nutrition matters, getting enough protein matters, as if people were saying otherwise, and they were not. It's a misreading of the conversation and, again, an uncharitable one.
    Nothing wrong with cutting sugars and it is healthy...

Cutting out all sugars would mean cutting out vegetables. Bad idea, IMO. And you yourself acknowledge that of course you consume sugar. No one has said that it's a bad idea to cut down on or limit sugar.
    Imo macros DEFINITELY matter if you wanna be healthy and not just lose weight as the OP stated

Again, who is this OP that you refer to, because the only OP in this thread said 0 about focusing on macros for health. She said cut out sugar (not a macro, as I'm assuming that she did not mean all carbs), and fat (yes, a macro). If one cared about macros for health, one would absolutely not say cut out all fat and sugar. One would say get enough fat for your goals and stats and enough protein for you and your goals and stats, and carbs as remain, or some such. Focus on what leads to satiety for you, too.

However, since I am not IIFYM, particularly, I have to point out that the importance of macros is grossly overestimated for most people. There is a huge range of good, reasonable macro ratios, healthy human diets vary enormously on that point. Even for people trying to lose weight, I think protein ought to hit a certain level (to protect against muscle loss), but there's a huge range of options even so. For fat and carbs I think WHAT fat and carbs you eat matters more than how much of each, for most people. (For other things, like satiety and satisfaction, it may matter a great deal, but that's individual.)
    There was no hate involved, just disagreement unlike the hate & those sayin I was just wrong in numerous responses to my post

Disagreement does not mean hate. I don't perceive anyone to be hating you.

This is 3 meals vs. 14 meals. How does it relate to the claim that eating just a morning meal reduces metabolism, which is what you asserted before?

Not only is it 3 vs. 14, the 3 meals group had increased metabolism.

What if I do two meals a day? Even better?
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    you

the biggest reason you gain weight is from overeating, not because of sugar or fats. #getreal
  • ItsAllMental819
    ItsAllMental819 Posts: 68 Member
    Yinz spend a lot of time here... But I appreciate the responses... Please read the entire study - Its actually 12 meals vs 2 & talks about insulin and metabolic responses. It never said that 3 meals a day had increased metabolism also. They incorporated other info within their work.

Again, when did I say cut ALL sugars? Said cutting down simple sugars is healthy... I love me some fruit & veggies and they are low calorie.

Thanks again all.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Yinz spend a lot of time here... But I appreciate the responses... Please read the entire study - Its actually 12 meals vs 2 & talks about insulin and metabolic responses. It never said that 3 meals a day had increased metabolism also. They incorporated other info within their work.

Again, when did I say cut ALL sugars? Said cutting down simple sugars is healthy... I love me some fruit & veggies and they are low calorie.

Thanks again all.

I think for most, it comes down to personal preference and what they can stick to long term (within reason). I mean at some level, regardless of what you believe, you have to eat responsibly. Eat a wide variety of food, get your nutrition, maintain a deficit if fat loss is your goal, exercise and get plenty of rest.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited May 2017

Good luck.

Thanks for arguing my poing, @diannethegeek, @nutmegoreo, and everyone else. I was at the gym, and then busy making Cadbury mini-eggs fit in my macros for the day.

(Yep, I eat IIFYM, but I still know it all comes down to CICO, @ItsAllMental819. ;) )
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    Gave up sugar...but not fat or liquor. I lost 80 pounds in 18 months anyway just counting the calories.

Calories in < calories out = weight loss.

Simple math really.
  • DJ_Skywalker
    DJ_Skywalker Posts: 420 Member
    Gave up sugar...but not fat or liquor. I lost 80 pounds in 18 months anyway just counting the calories.

Simple math really.

Any alcohol diet is okay in my book
  • DJ_Skywalker
    DJ_Skywalker Posts: 420 Member
    Noel_57 wrote: »

Simple math really.

Noooo!!! Sugar turns to fat even on a 900 calorie diet. :o

Ummmm but he lost 80 pounds whilst drinking alcohol ... so winner
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited May 2017

@christinaki89 saying goodbye to sugar and grain was a lifesaver for me at the age of 63. I however did add a lot of plant based fats like coconut oil and olive oil and naturally got away from animal protein except for fish.

https://amazon.com/Licking-Sweet-Death-Information-Sugarcoating/dp/1608604756

I just got my copy of Licking Sweet Death by Hugo Rodier, MD from Utah USA. It is based on solid scientific research and has 67 pages at the end with just the references clearly stated.

For about $12 I got a used copy but never used copy in just two days with Prime.