WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2017

Options

Replies

• DanaReel180
    DanaReel180 Posts: 463 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I'm tired today, I feel like laying around! I got up a bit early plus I have been busy all week. I ate some waffles my DH bought in the bakery. They are tasty but not so good for the diet. I need to fix a protein shake to get me going!

Katla and Lanette
    The cost of glasses is ridiculous. Our Advantage plan covers the eye exam but not the glasses.
    Katla, I agree the dogs are guardian angels. Our dog is such a sweetheart but someone at the door or just drives up and she goes into "security dog" stance and would scare you off!! When she stands up on the door I'm looking at her face to face!! I have to pull her back and if the stranger has bad vibes she won't back off.
    When she was about 4 mo old she chewed up my lenses so I took them back to LensCrafters and it was $500 to replace the lenses. The store still had the same frames since they were just over a year old. They originally only cost $425.
    Oh well, I won't leave my glasses out where she can get them again. Expensive mistake!!

Heather Your day out shopping sounded like a wonderful day! Lucky you!! White linen pants in size 6! Wow I never been in a 6 since grade school!!

Meg Dolly is a Treeing Walker Coonhound. And she treed her first coon last month down in the creek. My grandkids let her loose, so my husband had to bring her back. He doesn't hunt, but she has a strong sense to track and find raccoons or other animals. I belong to a Facebook page: Treeing Walker Coonhounds (non hunting) if you want to see more pictures.

The compression stocking is working well for me. It takes away the swelling and hence the pain. I think I can walk longer too. If you want a laugh, just imagine me putting it on!! OMG!
    —Dana
    err7br7plvsy.jpg
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,552 Member
    Options
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Finally broke down and went to the doctor this morning, I've been fighting it for a few weeks now. I have a full blown sinus infection with fluid pressure on my ears. She sent me home with three prescriptions and instructions to take it easy for two or three days. Not hard to do when I feel like my head is going to explode. I'm sure with the meds I'll be feeling much better in a few days. :)

Janetr okc

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,216 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Dana - That compression stocking looks like fun! :o I wear a compression arm sleeve most days because of my lymphodema from breast cancer 10 years ago. I had a lot of lymph glands removed. It had been getting a bit better with the lost weight, but my fall has put it back. :'( It is quite a struggle to get it on as I wince as I pull it. :sad: I have managed to acquire a black one, made in France, that is a little less medical looking.

Katla - To answer your question about the house - it is online, so anyone, anywhere in the world can see it. Just a shortage of buyers in our bit of the countryside. We are quite rural.
    Hove is extremely popular with the young, smart set and very expensive. We will be buying a much smaller property.

Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    drkatiebug wrote: »
    Huge NSV today. When I started working out, I could not do one assisted pull-up. Two other women had to stand one on each side of the machine and help me by raising the bar you stand on. Today, I did 10 all by my lonesome self! Well, really 3 sets of 10, so 30! That was in addition to the rest of my stuff - a bunch of back and chest work with barbells and dumbbells followed by ab ripper. It was a good but exhausting hour and a half.

Congrats to Re. Onederland is a huge milestone.

I've discovered the cost of a colonoscopy, at least with my insurance" is all about the code. When my code says "family history" I pay a small co-pay. When it says "diagnostic, blood in stool" I have to take out a loan to pay. Same procedure. No logic at all.

I had my yearly physical yesterday. Down 10 lbs since the previous year and one inch less in my waist. My blood pressure was 118/64. I haven't gotten the results of my blood work yet, but the needle went in first time and didn't even leave a bruise. I told the women who drew my blood that she was the best I've ever had. The doc agreed that the lesion between my breasts needs to be biopsied but said it could wait until my dermatologist appointment in two weeks. I can't remember if I told y'all about it, but it looks very similar to the squamous cell carcinoma I had on my cheek last fall and has popped up since my full body check in January. I'm going on the 16th to have it checked. I still need to make my mammogram appointment, too.

Katiebug, you are so inspiring! What a great example of the benefits of working out. Pull-ups are hard! You rock! What great numbers at the doc's :)
    Crossing fingers things go well with the Derm visit and thank you for mentioning that. I need to get caught up on some checks as well.

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • janeholland2008
    janeholland2008 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Rori & Kim lovely photograph
    Lanette My new neighbours are just not ready for my naked gardening and the old neighbours would have me arrested!!!!

Colonoscopy I had a perforated bowel in 2015 so have to have 6 monthly checks. I am just grateful that we don't have to pay over here. With my luck, I would have run up a small mortgage worth of health bills by now.!!

It's so cold here, my potted lavender plant couldn't cope, so I brought it indoors for a couple of days. I don't have a greenhouse, so have bought a little plastic thingy to keep my plants warm in... I just have to put it together now!

I bought a pressure king pro and actifry to aid in my cooking fresh every day. What a marvel these are. Tonight's dinner was a wonderful veggie pasta and all cooked in 15 minutes... I don't normally eat carbs but these pills are doing something terrible to my appetite. I'm going to have to find extra strong willpower from somewhere!

Tomorrow I'm off to collect some filled pots for the garden, found a lovely lady locally who obviously loves gardening with a passion and makes up these beautiful pots, using water cans and old tin pails - I just hope the weather doesn't kill them off!!

Taking my 12-year-old daughter for a "trim" tomorrow, I dread it I really do. She has waist length hair that has corkscrew curls around her hairline in front then a mixture of wavy and not so wavy and then the odd corkscrew manifests itself. It drives me crazy. It was fine when I could plait her hair but now she insists on some strange hair routine which involves no sulphur shampoo and no silicon conditioner, a tee shirt instead of a towel and SILK, yes real SILK pillowcases, luckily her father feels guilty enough about abandoning her (he left when she was 3 months old to find himself after 21 years marriage and 4 children - jeez!!) that he was only too happy to hand over £20 for pillowcases!! (fool - but at least I didn't have to buy them) anyway, the hair, well having gone through the dodgy hair washing routine and sleeping on silk pillowcases she will only comb her hair with a bamboo wide tooth comb. Quite honestly it looks a mess. But after years of me begging her to look after her hair, I'm just grateful that she is finally taking an interest!! But I just know that the hairdresser will trim it too short, or it won't be a straight line (have you every tried to cutting curly hair into a straight line - OMG!). Ill take solace in the fact that my plants won't talk back!

Have a great weekend all and enjoy yourselves

Jane
    Kent,UK

• gotu52
    gotu52 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Hey, we are under a serious flood watch. It is for many areas in Quebec and Ontario. We are still dry but I am keeping a close watch on the river levels behind my house. I pray for a lull in the rain. Every moment it doesn't rain, the waters recede. But the opportunity here for me is to practice eating well even during a stressful situation. I can't control the rain but I can control what goes in the mouth.

Take care.

Sarah.
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Mmm
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,347 Member
    Options
    No, I haven't fallen off the face of the earth (at least not yet....lol) Wed I took the deep water class, Thurs I did a FIT Total Body DVD (one of my new ones ... really liked it), today I did a shorter workout called Intense Burn. Then I went to the neurologist from my seizure. Since I've been doing so well, he's reducing the one med but still keeping me on the other one.

Yesterday I volunteered at the Green Room then saw the dress rehearsal of the show. Very good. Vince will go see it on the 19th and that day I'll usher. The only problem is that I like to sit up front since you get to see the expressions on the actor's faces and I won't be able to this time. Oh well.....

Came home today and put down weed killer, filled in one rut that the tractor got stuck in last time, then went to Aldi, prepared dinner, now I'm here.

How I wish there was a yoga class that I could take! The only one offered is that guy who doesn't have any music at all and I find that so BOOORRRRIIIINNNGGGG.

When my sinuses act up, I usually take a Sudafed. Boy, does it dry me out and really keep me awake. But it does work. Now that I think of it (I hope I'm not jinxing myself) I haven't had to take it for a while

Fried up some chicken breast patties. Sometimes they're good for breakfast. I told you some of my breakfasts are weird

when Vince and I got married, someone made this wooden placque for us with our names on it, the date of our marriage. I'm looking for someone who can maybe do the same type of thing for Denise, but I haven't been able to find anyone who can. I think this one lady at ceramics will do the writing, but I don't know about the painting, putting on stickers (I think that's what it is) or shellacking.

I always bring my own magazines or my tablet to the MD's office. I've heard so many things (not good) about the magazines in offices. Sick people handling them and then you do. That's one of the reasons I take my own.

Lisa - that job sounds just wonderful, and I know you'll do Rori proud

Just found out that a neighbor who just moved in is going to be a MD in the MD practice that I go to!

I always said that my youngest dd and ds had two things in common -- their parents and their last name

Cheri - great rewards!

Toni - sometimes insurance companies can be such a pain! I sure hope your antidepressant situation gets straightened out for you

Becca - hope the doc got all the lesions off your hubby

Carol - the pom looks wonderful

Love how Bradford Pears boom so early in the season, but don't like that they aren't very strong

Have a question for all you quilters. I found this handsewn top piece for a quilt among MIL's things. Only it's probably for a single (maybe double) bed. I would like it for at least a queen size, if not king. How can I make it bigger?

Welcome everyone new!

Was in the pool the other day, today I have pants on. I do not like this weather.

Finished my bee at ceramics on Wednesday. It should be ready for me when I go on Mon. Now to get Vince to put in the wire antenna. He STILL hasn't taken the stuff off the old power washer. He said it's a 10 minute job. So why doesn't he just do it????

Re - congrats on making it to Onederland. You go girl!

Karen - Olivia is SOOO cute

DJ - hope by the time you see this, your dd is home safely

Meg - how I wish only the best for you

Yvonne - when we were looking for a home, we didn't want a HOA either. But it's really hard to find a home without a HOA. We have one, but it is so lose it's pathetic. I can't remember the last time we had an annual meeting.

Becca - sorry about the cat. We've lost too many kitties. It's always hard, our furbabies mean so much to us

Claudia - ya for smaller waists

Jane - congrats on those work pants

So many times when I get my Prolia, the hosp. codes it incorrectly. I almost always get a denial from the insurance company for a " experimental chemotherapy treatment". You're right, Lenora, getting that change IS a pain in the *kitten*

Gloria - glad you are safe from those storms

Rori - oh boo hoo. when I went to open the file of the pic, I got a message "can't open this file" I bet you two had a super time, tho. Oh, now I see the pic you posted. You two look fantastic. I, too, consider myself very lucky to have met you in person. Say, do you ever hear from Carol?

Lanette - I don't think I'll be participating in that gardening, either. Actually, I'm nothing at all like a gardener

Dana - so glad the compression stocking is working so well for you

katie - great stats from the doc

Michele in NC
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    It is finally a beautiful day. I am working the 1-10pm shift. Tomorrow DH and I are going on a motorcycle run with our group. This is a yearly one we do the first Saturday of May and we get donations. The money goes 100% to buy Bibles and scooters for 3rd world counties. I am very uncomfortable asking for money, but I really believe in this project. So am happy the weather is to be in 70's. In December we brought a trike motorcycle and looking forward to riding it. We gave the motorcycle we had to our oldest son.

I want to share something with you ladies. This last December we were in Kansas to my niece's wedding. Anyway her brother is a tatoo artist and I was telling him I wanted one. Told him I would like a cross with a purple rose. I said we would make an appointment and come back some weekend. He said no we can do it after the wedding. So I got my first tatoo. DH took a picture and sent to our oldest and he kept saying I wouldn't go thought with it. It is on my right wrist and is in memory of my mom. Well then in Janurary we went back and I got a heart on my left wrist with DH and mine name in a purple ribbon with year we were married. Now I am done.

Lisa--Your new job sounds like a good fit for you. Liking your job sure makes it go better.

Heather--your outing sounds like a lot of fun. Glad you had a good time.

Janetr--Glad you went to the doctor and are on the right track to get better. DH and I shared the crud last month and I know it was not fun.

Not a lot else going on so will sign off. May not be near internet until Sunday. So have a good weekend.
    Blessings, Vicki Grand Island, NE
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Hello!

Dreary, rainy weather continues in Tennessee - at least it is gentle rain and no flooding predicted. Thinking of you who are being threatened by flooding. Too cold for naked gardening here!

Hugs for those hurting and high fives for those with NSVs and other successes!

Love you, friends

Toni in Tennessee
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    It's Friday night, ladies!

First - do any of you have experience using a TENS unit? This morning I bent over to clean out the dish washer and WHAM, couldn't straighten up. Kitchens are dangerous places, people! Be aware!! B)B)

Anyhow, I've been using ice on my lower back and doing some stretches then remembered some folks have luck using a TENS unit. Might pick one up in town tomorrow - ideas and suggestions welcome. DH has a lot of shoulder and back pain due to his RA - not sure if it would help joints but likely would help muscle spasms, I'm guessing???

Yvonne, what a great idea having a screensaver that lists the benefits of losing weight. Hey, just think of all the naked gardening the folks in the International Space Station can see if they have a telephoto lense.... funny how this works out!

Sarah, seems like you've been under a flood watch for months...is this normal where you live? Sending good thoughts your way for dry weather!! Enough already!

Becca, love your chalkboard.

Vicki, your motorcycle group sounds like a grand folks. How nice to get together like that for a good cause. I don't have any tattoo's but yours sound very nice- cool to get tributes like that.

Heather, smart thinking about getting the new car now and getting rid of the diesel. Hope DH got the deal sealed up - we want to see a photo of the new wheels, of course. Your anniversary dinner sounded divine.

Jane, good luck with your daughter at the hairdresser.... cutting curly hair straight is a challenge. Her hair does sound lovely with all the curls...and the silk pillow case <3

That's it for now. DH will be helping carry all the plants and tomatoes tonight into warm quarters...temp in the 30's tonight.

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • pipcd34
    edited May 2017
    Options
    stats for the day:

bike ride hm 2 gym- 12.27min. 14.2amph, 169mhr, 2.9mi = 120c
    apple watch- 83c
    day 13-Plyometrics exercises- 13.16min, 3sets of 10each, squats, burpees, running stationary lunges, single leg toe touches, 2sets of 15-push ups 140mhr = 109c
    apple watch- 107c
    Ski Machine- 25min, 4incl, 15-35resist, 124ahr, 137mhr, 1.18mi = 198c
    apple watch- 194c
    bike ride gym 2 dome- 6.08min, 13.9amph, 141mhr, 1.4mi = 66c
    apple watch- 50c
    bike ride from puyallup 2 sumn station- 16.18min, 11.2amph, 170mhr, 117ahr, 3mi = 134c
    apple iwatch- 104c
    apple iwatch-
    jog station 2 wk- 4.33min, 9.02min mi, 142ahr, 154mhr, .5mi = 59c
    apple watch- 53c
    Ride done 2 hm- 20.38min, 7.6amph, 154mhr, 2.6mi WINDY!!!! = 195c
    apple watch- 153c

total cal 1013
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Well ladies, son's appointment went well. I neglected to call our militaries insurance Tricare, to change officially his PCM from his pediatric doctor to mine. Now I am hoping that his appointment today will be processed smoothly. Called his old doctor because Tricare said it needs a letter of referral. I am hoping my explanation of we didn't realize he was too old for his doctor will suffice.

Today was salad day! A good sandwich with avocados, tomatoes and leafy greens, then for dinner more of everything, but without the bread. Maybe later a banana.

Today we bought $9 worth of juices, bananas, and salad fixings, but didn't have to pay for anything! Periodically we receive coupons and a coupon worth a fixed amount from Fred Meyers grocery. This time it was for $10, so that's what we used today. Husband wanted to buy ice cream because it was two containers for $5, but the sale had passed! Yes there is a God and he was nice to me today!

Husband and son had fries and steak tonight, but I had my beeeautiful salad!!
    Hugs my ladies!
    Becca
    Oregon
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the nice comments on the photo with Kim and kismet with regard to connecting Lisa to the Girl Scouts of the Desert Southwest. Lisa’s boss is a gem, absolutely one of my favorite people of the hundreds I know working with Girl Scouts. I’m expecting great results, and oh yes, a finders fee…LOL! :wink:

Michele: No, I haven’t seen hide nor hair of NC Carol.

Mary and Margaret: Hope to have the MN trip confirmed soon. My friend who needs my help there doesn’t move very swiftly, and may be waffling.... :fearful:

Meanwhile, it looks like I’ll be back in Westchester County, so KarenNY, I’ll message you to see about setting up another coffee.

By coincidence, I had lunch today with two former members of this community: Laura and Jane. We meet about 2-3 times per year and continue to support one another in person and as MFP friends.

Yes, I am very, very lucky and grateful. :heart: :smiley::heart:

Vicki: How wonderful to see you back! I’m sorry for your loss, but that tattoo sounds like a unique and lasting tribute.

Yvonne: Keep up the decluttering. It has health benefits, too.

Becca: Great goals.

Lanette: Naked gardening? You crack me up. :lol::joy::smile:

Rori
    Colorado Foothills

May Resolutions
    :
    Prelog breakfast and 2 snacks every day
    Add 4 miles of walking to regular fitness routine
    Duolingo daily (Italian)
    Call one distant friend per week
    Practice Reiki daily
    Word for 2017: Attune