55-65 year old women's success?

Replies

• Trina2040
    Trina2040 Posts: 214 Member
    @luluinca, @griffinca2, totally agree! Turning 68 later this year; we've just got to keep movin'! Two + years into maintenance and 15 months to lose the weight. So worth it, and hey! to all the new people.
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    @luluinca Many thanks; I try to do 3 full-body workouts (w/a short cardio session) a week. Sometimes I miss, but I believe weights are best for maintaining muscle mass as we age. Have a great week!! B)
  • GoodDayWorkout
    GoodDayWorkout Posts: 36 Member
    oldgirl235 wrote: »
    Feeling happy don't need my bra extension strap any more, wish I had taken my body measurements.

Fabulous!
  • GoodDayWorkout
    griffinca2 wrote: »
    @luluinca Many thanks; I try to do 3 full-body workouts (w/a short cardio session) a week. Sometimes I miss, but I believe weights are best for maintaining muscle mass as we age. Have a great week!! B)

I am happy to hear about the weight training .. I am starting tomorrow, 3 days a week. I am convinced its the only way I am going to see inches reduced, get stronger and hopefully add some beautiful muscle eventually.
  • GoodDayWorkout
    My motivation! Ernestine Shepherd, I believe she is 80 years young now?
  • GoodDayWorkout
    Not sure why it didn't post the whole image? Anyone know?
  • griffinca2
    @weightx/training, I heard abt Ernestine years ago; I think she looks fantastic. I think she's somewhere in late 70s or maybe abt 80. Not sure why didn't post the image.
  • griffinca2
    P.S. If you click on it the image comes up (just did it).
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    edited May 2017
    Not sure why it didn't post the whole image? Anyone know?

there are now 2 options for posting photos (the camera one adds an attachment, the one next to it on the right actually inserts the image) hope that helps
  • GoodDayWorkout
    Yayyyyy!
  • birgitkwood
    birgitkwood Posts: 486 Member
    Wow!
  • griffinca2
    Same here; just wish I had started earlier! We were packing up some items for storage so hubby got some boxes and they through in a bundle of wrapping paper; my husband dropped into my arms for me to carry into the house. Found out later the bundle weighed a little over 25 lbs; if I hadn't been doing weights there is no way I could have carried that bundle. I'll never be in the shape that Ernestine is in, but I can strive to be the best I can be. B)
  • GoodDayWorkout
    luluinca wrote: »
    It was Ms Sheperd who was my inspiration to begin lifting weights several years ago. I'll never be her, or even close, but I have transformed my body for the better and I'm pretty darn strong. It takes time and patience and I'm never going to be done but it's worth the effort and time if you're inclined to enjoy it.
    35mys2oexrm7.jpg
    e8ms79gqpjje.jpg

You look fabulous! I hope to follow your lead!
  • GoodDayWorkout
    Same here; just wish I had started earlier! We were packing up some items for storage so hubby got some boxes and they through in a bundle of wrapping paper; my husband dropped into my arms for me to carry into the house. Found out later the bundle weighed a little over 25 lbs; if I hadn't been doing weights there is no way I could have carried that bundle. I'll never be in the shape that Ernestine is in, but I can strive to be the best I can be. B)

Awesome..The benefits of lifting weights.. are probably endless. <3 I need to get stronger so I can tackle the 40 lbs bag of dog food and our water jugs.
  • GoodDayWorkout
    edited May 2017
    This is the program I started today. Is anyone familiar with it?

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/the-beginner-weight-training-workout-routine/

*Please share the workouts / programs you all are doing or have done and like. Thank you!
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    edited May 2017
    This is the program I started today. Is anyone familiar with it?

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/the-beginner-weight-training-workout-routine/

*Please share the workouts / programs you all are doing or have done and like. Thank you!

That looks like a good one to begin with. It's basically a power lifting routine similar to Strong Lifts which incorporates the major lifts. You will gradually add weight as you progress, ideally every week or two. Take your time and make sure your form is spot on. Don't be afraid to add weight slowly. As long as you're progressing that's the main thing. Those are the main compound lifts which use your large muscles as well as stabilizing muscles. I would recommend looking up some core exercises as a warm-up.

I've done Strong Lifts, New Rules of Lifting for Women and Strong Curves. Right now I'm working with a trainer and doing a 4 day split with 2 leg days, 1 arm/back and 1 chest/shoulder day each week. It incorporates all those plus some others that I'm working on.

Enjoy your new routine and keep us posted!
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    luluinca, I'm with you!! I'm 66 (67 later this yr) and just keep on keeping on!! B)

And I am with you ladies as well. 67, soon to be 68 and I am in the best health of my life and more fit than my younger sisters in their 50s.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!