55-65 year old women's success?

Replies

• cecilewoolley
    cecilewoolley Posts: 14 Member
    These stories are inspirational - I am 56 in June and not happy about it - but think I amthrough the menopause - I want to loose at least 40lbs - my daughter is getting married next August be even so getting motivated is not happening very well- and I hate the gym....any suggestions to set me up slowly but surely please?
  • cecilewoolley
    These stories are inspirational - I am 56 in June and not happy about it - but think I amthrough the menopause - I want to loose at least 40lbs - my daughter is getting married next August be even so getting motivated is not happening very well- and I hate the gym....any suggestions to set me up slowly but surely please?
  • mamainthekitchen
    mamainthekitchen Posts: 929 Member
    Hi all, I'm 57 and in maintenance and am finding this part harder than when losing! I also find all these stories inspiring and to @cecilewoolley above, I lost about 40 lbs by logging everything I ate (all the crap too) following the 5:2 diet and started walking up to 70 mins a day! I don't like exercise classes at all... so walking was good, outdoors and free (except get a good pair of runners) start walking for 20 min away from your home then turn around & go back home... that's 40 mins! In my mind I would think it was a quick 20 min walk, cause I didn't count going back home so it didn't seem so bad. But do it every day!! Soon I downloaded podcasts to listen to while walking which really kills the time! I try to get 10k steps in most days. Boy, maybe I should take my own advise and start all over again!! Get out of the failing maintenance mode!!! I have been sick with an awful cold this past week so I've really let some awful habits creep back in. I'm needing to kickstart back into what I did a year ago ( once my cold is over!!!) feel free to add me
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    edited May 2017
    @cecilewoolley walking is a great place to start and there are also a lot of videos available with all kinds of workout routines, some only take 30 minutes. I'm not familiar with them but I know a lot of my friends do videos at home. I'm not motivated to do anything at home but walk or run around the neighborhood but we're all different and so you need to find something you enjoy doing that you will stick with. I'm a gym rat and love going to the gym. I think it might be partly because we've worked from home since 2006 and the gym is just an excuse for me to get out of the house several times a week....LOL

Maybe some of the other gals here can suggest a few good videos for you to try.

• mamainthekitchen
    mamainthekitchen Posts: 929 Member
    b3wdlgetuo25.png

Thanks @griffnca2 and @spikeyhair!! Lets see if this works?

Oh wow!!! I've started weights at home last year... not too much just 2 days per week but as little as I do, I can sure tell it helps!! I had to blink a couple times looking at this photo!!
  • Eleted
    Eleted Posts: 121 Member
    Wow! Is there anything more motivating than that picture? A book equally motivating is WHAT MAKES OLGA RUN. Story about a 94 yr old track star. It explores how our minds and bodies age. Research shows that EXERCISE increases the hippocampus to improve memory, reduces anxiety and depression and calms stress and so much more! They make a comparison by saying that doing brain games as we age is the shovel and EXERCISE IS the BULLDOZER!
  • GoodDayWorkout
    GoodDayWorkout Posts: 36 Member
    Thank you @AnnPT77 and @luluinca for you thoughts on my weight training program. I am looking forward to my 2nd WT workout today.

• Eleted
    Eleted Posts: 121 Member
    I agree with Ann 100%!
  • birgitkwood
    birgitkwood Posts: 486 Member
    Eleted wrote: »
    I agree with Ann 100%!

So do I!
  • FHImagined
    FHImagined Posts: 145 Member
    snowyne wrote: »
    Honestly, I know this may sound awful but I really don't want my body to go the way of my mother's. Once she hit 50 and went through menopause, the weight piled on. She was always slim & healthy and then she gained @ 50 lbs and made no effort to do anything about it. She would say to me, "just you wait...it will happen to you, too." No, no, no. I refuse to accept that logic! You have to take care of yourself by putting in the time & effort -- it doesn't happen by wishing it away.

You are so right you have to make the time and put in the effort!
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Totally agree!! B)
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    I understand the reasoning behind the comparison pictures, but do not believe the woman on the right is 74 years old. (that is only 7 more than me!) Do wish I looked like the one on the left, but even though I know it is good for me, I just cant seem to get started on the weight lifting. But I do try to walk 10-15,000 steps a day, which is doing something.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    I understand the reasoning behind the comparison pictures, but do not believe the woman on the right is 74 years old. (that is only 7 more than me!) Do wish I looked like the one on the left, but even though I know it is good for me, I just cant seem to get started on the weight lifting. But I do try to walk 10-15,000 steps a day, which is doing something.

You may be correct but I did find one can do things to look younger.dailyburn.com/life/fitness/strength-training-aging-study-100714/

• cecilewoolley
    Thank you all for tips and motivation - I'm going to log everything (even the crap!) and walking seems to be the good way to start !
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    Thank you all for tips and motivation - I'm going to log everything (even the crap!) and walking seems to be the good way to start !

Logging even the 'crap' is a brilliant idea! When you look at it in your daily log, and at its calories and nutritional impact as well as how satisfying it was . . . sometimes it leads to a recognition that it wasn't really worth it. (Sometimes it is worth it, and that's OK, as long as one has calories left to cover it.)

At minimum, it turns what you ate into just a set of facts to be considered, like a giant fun science fair project, and can help get out of the "I ate bad things so I am bad and have failed" thinking that's common, but pretty unhelpful to our progress.

Wishing you good progress! Keep us posted on how it's going, OK? :)
  • Trina2040
    Trina2040 Posts: 214 Member

You're right, @RetiredAndLovingIt! Ernestine Shepherd is not 74 years young -- she's 80 and still in great shape. Take a look-see (the video is from Feb. 2017). She's my hero, but I'll never look that good, LOL. I read somewhere that she drinks raw eggs before she goes on a run.

https://youtu.be/hTYogr-Np14
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Age is only a #!! I don't eat like that, but have made small changes over time that I can live with. I still eat some overly processed food and the occasional burger, fries, pizza, cake, etc. It's all about moderation and getting back on the wagon after you have indulged. It's not a project or diet with an end date; it's a lifestyle. B)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!