csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    250121x9f4ez5xgq.gif
  • LaurenInLA
    LaurenInLA Posts: 4 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Hi Barbie,

I just moved from Seattle to Fort Lauderdale. This is my second time on My Fitness Pal. There is hope. I lost 42 lbs. here 7 years ago and through the process adopted a vegetarian lifestyle. Three years ago, I took the plunge to Vegan. Starting a little bit later into May but my goals for this month are:

1. To lose 2 lbs. I've maintained most of my weight loss but want to lose 5 lbs. more.
    2. To get back into a regular exercise program. Gym for weights 3 days per week and treadmill for 30 minutes per day 6 days per week. Trying to work my way back into the Younger Next Year exercise plan.
    3. Control the potassium in my diet. I was recently diagnosed with a kidney issue.

Best of luck to everyone. We can do this!
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    Dana, that ring is just gorgeous! Very unique! I hope you get to wear it often. I had to smile thinking of you in the freezer cooling off from the hot flashes. Great idea! And congrats on the weight loss! Way to go!

Machka – neat wedding photo and story. Lovely setting and very meaningful to you both.

Sharon, so glad to hear you’ll be getting lined up with a new doctor. Happy birthday! Hope your DDIL is going to be all right. Great story about your shooting expertise. I took a handgun class at a police department many years ago and have fired guns and once had a concealed carry license, but not sure if I could shoot any living thing even if push came to shove. I have DH to do the dirty work for now. B)

There are a lot more break-ins these days it seems, but we aren’t a good neighborhood for that – it’s a dead-end road and lots of American flags flying so the bad guys assume there are a lot of military veterans. Which is right.

Heather – so glad you got a housecleaner lined up. And yes, not only for the party but to keep the place looking nice for potential buyers.

About housecleaners – we have a little gal who comes in every 2 weeks and spiffs the place up. I like having a clean house but between DH and I with accidents and surgeries over the past few years, it fell way behind. Several years ago, I ran into her at a gas station of all places, started yakking as we waited for our tanks to fill. Said she was heading out for another day of cleaning houses…I got her number. Serendipity. DH and I vacate the house for half a day and we get to come home to a clean, great smelling house. Since we don’t spend money going on vacations, having a clean house is like going on one. Plus, it forces us be tidier. She has health, family, and money issues but we’ve never noticed anything missing.

Ok, will close for now. Going to be a busy day. Need to finish getting the garage cleaned out – HVAC guy coming this afternoon to work on the A/C and it’s an obstacle course to get near the unit = cat box, small freezer, you name it. And, tomorrow I start hauling in plants for the plant sale. Tomatoes will go in first so need to get them watered, stake the tall ones, affix labels. Herb and squash plants need to be watered and tidied up and labeled as well. I keep saying I'm not doing this anymore but always cave each spring.

My back is still a little twitchy so won’t stick around to be a helper after I drop things off. I’ve done that in the past and it’s a real workout so will pass this year.

My eating hasn't been the best - but I'm happy to say I've been getting over 10,000 steps a day for the past week. Some have been painful with the back spasms, but it's getting better every day. :)

Have a wonderful day! <3
    Lanette
    SW WA State
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Lanette ~ Would the curcumin help my knee pain? I sent you a friend request to ask.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,734 Member
    Options
    i'm pooped
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Happy Mother Ocean Day!

I wish I could celebrate it on a beach somewhere instead of at my desk...

Lenora & Katla - My mom taught me to knock out the lettuce core by whacking it on the counter. We don't buy iceberg very often these days, but when we do I still take out the core that way.

Beth - I love your trick with using the frozen veggie bags for cookies! How many calories do you suppose you'll burn vacuuming out the pool?

Heather - My goodness, you'd have to be Wonder Woman to get all that done! Take a look at those lists and see if there's anything you can let go!

Claudia - Hope the yoga class was fun! Just remember that you don't have to do every pose. If something doesn't feel good, stop or ask for an alternate that works for you.

Michele - What a sneaky mom you were at Christmas! My dad's family always called those presents "green pigs" and my mom adopted the tradition. As in, "What's in that bag? It's a green pig." I think we all liked the surprise, so none of us kids was too bad about peeking.

Lanette - Oh, those hormonal migraines were awful! Don't miss that a bit.

Gloria - So sorry to hear about your flooding. That is a LOT of lightning... it must have been spectacular (not to mention scary)!

Today is my birthday, and I think I must have gotten my dates mixed up. It doesn't seem possible that that number is right!

I went to the Detox & Retox yoga class last night. I'm not sure if it was the different instructor or the fact that it's much warmer now than it was last time, but this one really kicked my behind. I'm sore in so many little places this morning! There were a lot of women my age this time, and they obviously were new to the practice so I wasn't the only one sweating and wobbling. Stayed after for a little chat and a mimosa made with champagne and strawberry kombucha. Sounds weird, but it was actually pretty good! I had to come home and go back to work, so it was good to have a break. But if they don't turn on the air conditioning in there pretty soon, I'm not going to be able to stick it out!

My busy month at work just got extended to three busy months, thanks to some changes handed down by the feds. Between now and the end of July I'm going to be hopping!

Take time to breathe!

-Yvonne in TX
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,434 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Peach1948 wrote: »
    Lanette ~ Would the curcumin help my knee pain? I sent you a friend request to ask.

Carol, I think other gals in this group use curcumin for knee pain. I got the "big bang" stuff - Curamed by Terry Naturally which was the anti-inflammatory. Expensive but I was at the "acute" stage and now that I'm on the mend don't have to take much so hoping this bottle lasts me all year. B) It worked for me.

As far as using curcurmin for chronic conditions, I'm not there yet but it sounds like a good idea.

My knee is also relatively pain-free right now!

Lanette
  • Peach1948
    Options
    Happy Birthday Yvonne!

Someone (I think Kim) mentioned that Bolthouse Yogurt dressing was good. I bought the ranch and it is delicious.

PIP ~ Why are you pooped?

• Peach1948
    Options
    Lanette ~ Thanks for the information.

Becca ~ Love your story.
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Gloria – I remember ‘ratting’. Take a comb and back-comb your hair; then smooth it over and it gave your hair lift. I did not do it as much as my oldest sister who wore her long auburn hair in a “French Twist”, remember that; because she was a Senior and I was only in middle school? Oh yes, Betsy McCall and paper doll cutout and clothes. She’d stand up because you put a piece of cardboard notched in the middle at a 90°; she was made of cardboard; the cut-out clothes made of paper with tabs around it to hold it on to the doll. I’d make other dresses by taking the cut out and tracing around it on Christmas Paper and magazines, too.

I think to correct the saving of a picture, you’d need to pull it up wherever it is; and, then delete the .xxxx or whatever the ‘extension’ is; and then type in .jpg or jpeg and then save it again; you should be able to open it up in another app. At least, that is how I do it.

Dana – Did you ‘make’ the ring or ‘design’ the ring?

I only weigh on every other Tuesday at my MD’s office, with no shoes on and try to dress the same every time. They have special scales which breaks down fat%, water%, torso, each arm, and each leg % (of my weight), and BMI. I could not weigh myself daily, too frustrating. I’m really close to my goal and finding it harder and harder to keep the scale moving downward. Estee writes out what I can do differently on my printed out MFP ‘food and exercise’ sheets. She is so happy that I bring her this so she can actually ‘see’ what I am eating and how much exercise I am doing. Says that she wishes all of her patients did this. Some don’t do it and then ‘get mad at her because they keep gaining weight all the time. Says it is hard for her to tell them what to do differently when they can’t even remember what they have eaten. Or how much water they have consumed or how much they have exercised.

Have to take off shoes; and, I take off anything that is not necessary, like glasses, sweater, and something even jewelry. I get laughed at when I do this at every MDs’ office I go to.

We’ve had a woodpecker who has decided that he needs to peck at our house. The other day he flew against the living room window and perched on the metal bar across the center and when I turned to look at him, he flew off. I’m thinking that maybe he is looking to get a few ‘carpenter bees’ to eat. We have carpenter bees about 2, maybe 3 months during this time of year. Bug Man sprays the outside of the house trying to kill as many as he can that are up in their holes; and spraying the empty ones so they won’t go back to them.

Lanette – In a MD’s office, I always question everything! Because of the ‘transfer’ situation I went through with one MD I had been ‘assigned’ to after I had spent 3 weeks in the ICU with “Lithium Toxicity.” Finding out the MD I had been going to who was checking my Lithium level did NOT have ‘hospital privileges’ was a bit of a shock. But, after they moved me the ‘new’ MD upped my bipolar meds from 25mg 4x a day to 800mg twice a day. He said I would have NEVER gotten stable with the ‘low dosage’. He also told me how to get in touch with the State Composite Board of Medical Examiners to report this woman who had sent me there without a complete record, just 2 pages of a ‘discharge summary’ and incorrect medical dosages, too. When I was Lithium Toxic and the only way to get it out of my system FAST was to go through having my kidneys flushed, a procedure the ‘kidney’ MD had told Louis that I might not survive. Louis told him to do the procedure anyway. If I was going to die if I did not have it done, he knew I was a fighter and would have wanted it done. He also had gotten so upset that I was seizing 24/7 and nothing they gave me stopped them. I still have problems with short-term memory loss and that can be very frustrating; but, at least I have my childhood memories intact.

Becca – As a teenager I had a lot of hair on my legs (blond) and shaved under my airs; now that I have gone through the change; it is months between having to shave either legs or under arms; don’t have much hair anywhere; and on my head it is fine which makes it seem thin. Don’t have any hair on my arms at all.
    You look like a very young bride.

I agree – that ‘tree’ would make a wonderful mural to paint.

Umbrella photo was neat!

You still have a rotary phone? How neat. Nothing better to make you FEEL better than being able to ‘slam the phone down in someone’s face’. Can’t do that on a portable phone. It would be nice if they would make an app that would ‘sound’ like it on a walk about or cell phone; to use when you really needed it. Now that I have been answering some calls as “Fire Department, where is your emergency?” or “Taco Bell” or “Papa John’s Pizza, how many I help you?” My junk calls have almost stopped on most days. My grandmother had a ‘really’ old rotary phone; but, at some point the phone company ‘made’ her turn it in and get a newer once, which was a lot lighter. Do you remember ‘princess phones’? I remember a friend in HS who got a pink one for her bedroom. We never had our own phones in our rooms; but, one in the hall that had a long enough cord that we could pull in into any of the bedrooms. Oldest sister and 2 of her BFs would take it into her room, open the transom and windows and smoke. But, they did not realize that by doing that they were forcing the smoke out into the hallway and the rest of the house. I also remember my Daddy whooping her; not because of the smoking; but, because she lied to him about it. Margaret (middle sister) and I were sitting under the dining room table watching it go down. I was the only one who never smoked. Mother did not smoke.

Katla – I shared my housekeeper with my boss’s wife; she’d have her one Friday, and I would have her the next Friday … she kept my boys in a straight line. As they got older, the tried their best to not come home before 5:00 (when she was supposed to get off). I’d come home and pay her and she would sit and talk, waiting on the boys. There were times when I would stay late at work, so I did not have to sit and talk to Rosa. But, she loved our boys so much. I told the boys the last time all were home; that she really wanted to see them and meet their wives and see their children; but, they couldn’t or wouldn’t make the time to go see her on the other side of Albany. Maybe next time, if it isn’t too late. But, she isn’t that much older than I am. Waymon would enjoy seeing us, too.

Sharon – HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

When my boys were young, hawks were in great supply in GA. One of the things they did to entertain themselves on trips was to ‘count’ them. Then we went through a period they were getting killed off; then, now they seem to be making a come-back.

Yvonne – HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, TOO!

Michele and Yvonne – My mother used to call presents and other things – "Lay overs to catch meddlers." We knew that it meant something ‘special’ was inside those packages.

"Morris Dictionary of Word and Phrase Origins" by William and Mary Morris states: "layover to catch meddlers" is a dialect variant of a very common answer used by adults to evade a direct answer to children's questions. Instead of saying to the child. 'It's none of your business', he would be told, 'It's layover to catch meddlers'. So what's a layover? You ask. A layover is a trap for bears or other unwary animals, made of a pit covered with boughs. And a meddler, of course, is a person who interferes in other people's business. The phrase was recorded in Eastern and Southern states as long ago as 1890. It also appears as larovers for meddlers, layos to catch meddlers and even as a single word, larofamedlers."

I also use the same phrase when I am asked a question I don’t want or need to answer.

Lenora
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    Happy Wednesday. I was woke up at 3 this morning with rain, thunder and lightening. I enjoy listening to the storm, but was not expecting it last night.

I did enjoy the ladie's Bible study last evening. Not what I was expecting, but I do think it is what I need. The book is about broken lives and how God uses them to bring us closer to him. It is a 6 week class and there were 11 of us last evening.

Gloria--I do remember the Mccall's book and the paper dolls.

Dana--very pretty ring. I have my mother's mother's ring from when she was married to my dad. They were divorced over 40 years before they passed away. Surprised about her having one.

Becca--I only shave a couple times a year anymore. Just doesn;t seem to grow like it used to and only in spots. Most the time I forget about it. Thanks for sharing the pictures, the one of you and your mom is beautiful. I know I really miss my mom and this is the first Mother's day since she passed. Love the wedding picture and story.

Heather--Sorry to hear about your cleaning lady losing her father. I know I have a lady that comes in every other Tuesday and dusts for me and mops the kitchen and bathroom floors. Two jobs I do not like to do. I have noticed lately she is not always doing a good job, but I know she needs the money so just live with it and touch up where needed
    Sharon-- pray it works out for you and DDIL get to talk with no one else around.

Allie- sending Hus and prayers. Keep your head up. I agree with Janetr once the meeting is over you will feel a lot better. Wise words from your friend.

Well ladies have work to do. Enjoy the day. Blessings, Vicki Grand Island, NE
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Yvonne- Happy Birthday! Have a great day Celebrating!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • DanaReel180
    DanaReel180 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday to Yvonne and Sharon!!9t5m3ga2wscq.jpg
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Sharon- Happy Birthday to you and your son! Have a fantastic time celebrating!

<3

Mary from Minnesota