May 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    My first 10km race in over a year today, so a PB wasn't exactly a surprise. Still happy with my time though 51:35, so almost a minute and a half faster than my previous PB :) I'm creeping closer to something beginning with a "4x.xx", my new nemesis. It wasn't a flat course either, so my super flat course in July will hopefully be that sub-50.

I'm behind on posts again, so I flicked back a couple of pages.

@skippygirlsmom Skip looks beautiful. Such a shame she had a bad night.

@angmarie28 and @HRKinchen Congrats on your races!

May Running Challenge

1st - 3.55 miles
    2nd - 1.1 miles +Spin
    3rd - 6.19 miles
    6th - 3.1 miles
    8th - 1 mile +Spin
    9th - 3.66 miles
    10th - 3.12 miles
    14th - 0.61 miles (WU) + 6.2miles (race)

MTD - 28.53/60 miles

Upcoming Races
    25th June - Greenwich Park 10km
    22nd July - Richmond Riverside 10km
    15th October - Manchester HM
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    @kgirlhart - It looks like you are handling the distance well. Why not sign up? If the heat is to bad then it becomes a training run and you take your time and meet new people.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options

I know some people have asked about Virtual races in the past. I just signed up for a virtual 5k to benefit cat rescue (just saw it today - which is the last day to sign up. They have all kinds of virtual charity runs at different times though).
    https://runsignup.com/Race/TX/YourTrackTrailorTreadmillItsVirtual/TheLuckyCatVirtualCharityRun

I lost a dear friend and colleague, Lu Feng, to cancer a few months ago, and one of his passions was cats. His partner had asked in his memory that people donate to cat rescue or otherwise help cats. I hadn't done it yet, and when I saw this virtual 5k called the Lucky Cat with a Chinese fortune cat medal, I thought it was perfect to honor his wishes and have a little memorial token to remember him by as well.
    myue6g66z8oe.png

This looks right up my alley.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @kimlight and @louubelle16 you know how it is, I think she built the prom up too much her in mind and it wasn't the evening she expected. Thank you
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,981 Member
    Options
    Thanks @kimlight2. I think I will do it.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @ctlaws44 great race! You beat my PR by about 3 minutes.
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    34.7 miles for the week. Work trip really got in the way of exercise routine. But thats done, and I did run 22 miles combined Saturday and Sunday.

Is anyone running the Cleveland Marathon or Half Marathon next weekend? I'm pacing the 4:55 marathon and will have on one of the bright yellow pacer shirts. Come up and say Hi if you will be there!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp I live in Iowa and those pictures look rural to me.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp I live in Iowa and those pictures look rural to me.

To be fair, the reason it doesn't look *really* rural to me isn't in the pictures. People go hunting here; but to me, everywhere looks too dang close to somebody's house to be discharging firearms. And it's really hard to find a road that isn't paved. I grew up in Nebraska, where something like 88 of 93 counties have more cattle than humans, and rural implies lots of gravel roads.

It looks more rural to me in the counties further south; but even there, it can be hard to find a gravel road.
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    May goal: wear sunblock

5/1: sat on my okole. All. Day. Long.
    5/2: 3.13
    5/3: 6.06
    5/4: 4.08
    5/5 rest
    5/6: 4.15
    5/7 3.56
    5/8 snorkel 3.5 hours
    5/9 4.58
    5/10 3.38
    5/11 rest
    5/12 3.25
    5/13 life
    5/14 6.40

Total: 38.59

Ticker is my goal for 2017 and progress to date:
    exercise.png

upcoming races:
    Volcano Rainforest Runs 10k 8/19
    BlockThe Sun Run 5k Oct 14 (https://walk.aimatmelanoma.org/Hilo2017) (physical and virtual options available)
  • amc2509
    amc2509 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Need to get my skates on to make my target!!!

3/5/17 4.7K
    6/5/17 5K
    9/5/17 2.7K
    10/5/17 5.1K
    13/5/17 5K (TOTAL for May 22.5K)

exercise.png

[/quote]

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    @Mobycarp – most of the reason I took up running was to be able to enjoy more of the countryside than walking gave me. Good you stopped to look around – do it more often!!! I’m always amazed at how people say they HAVE to listen to music to run, when there is such a fantastic world around to listen to (although I suppose it does depend where you are running!!).

@snowyne – sorry you learnt the hard way about the perils of TM running. It’s always good to vary the terrain. This is why I advocate running on trails, sometimes the rockier the better. It strengthens the core and helps with balancing muscles in ways running on a standard surface will never do. I think my ankles and outer edges of my legs are greatly strengthened by choosing to run off-road. I did a run at the beginning of the year in deep iced up muddy ruts and BOY did my legs aches after!!