Options

Replies

• DJ_Skywalker
    DJ_Skywalker Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    pinuplove wrote: »
    My husband used to have a coworker who would come over to his desk, open his drawer, and inspect the contents of his lunch and comment on how healthy it was.

:huh: People need a good dose of MYOB! I blame social media. Unless I'm posting my lunch on Instattentionseeker, I'm not inviting comments. Grr. And get off my lawn while you're at it!

Oh, but your grass is so pretty

You must be picnicking on someone else's yard! Just don't critique their lunch, ok?

I will if they are having anchovies on their pizza .... anchovies do not belong on pizza

Neither does pineapple!

Yes, and Yes! (BTW, do you know where pineapple and ham, or 'Hawaiian' pizza was first made?? Ontario, Canada. Go fig-yah...)

They probably put poutine on their pizza too ;)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    My husband used to have a coworker who would come over to his desk, open his drawer, and inspect the contents of his lunch and comment on how healthy it was.

:huh: People need a good dose of MYOB! I blame social media. Unless I'm posting my lunch on Instattentionseeker, I'm not inviting comments. Grr. And get off my lawn while you're at it!

Oh, but your grass is so pretty

You must be picnicking on someone else's yard! Just don't critique their lunch, ok?

I will if they are having anchovies on their pizza .... anchovies do not belong on pizza

Neither does pineapple!

I love pineapple on pizza! Anchovies aren't bad either.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Bit of a sidetrack, but I don't get the hate for tuna in this thread. I don't have it for lunch much but there is often someone with tuna of some sort and it doesn't smell in any way that impacts me eating? Canned or otherwise? What kind of tuna are people having that stinks?

I think canned tuna stinks, but maybe it's just something some notice and some don't. (Foods others think smell bad don't bother me.)

Anyway, I wouldn't comment on that, since it would be rude and I tend to think I'm the weird one.
  • DJ_Skywalker
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Bit of a sidetrack, but I don't get the hate for tuna in this thread. I don't have it for lunch much but there is often someone with tuna of some sort and it doesn't smell in any way that impacts me eating? Canned or otherwise? What kind of tuna are people having that stinks?

I think canned tuna stinks, but maybe it's just something some notice and some don't. (Foods others think smell bad don't bother me.)

Anyway, I wouldn't comment on that, since it would be rude and I tend to think I'm the weird one.

I can't stand the smell of broccoli, but I could never tell someone that it stinks. Someone may not like the way my Cinnabon sticky bun smells
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options

I feel like flagging your post based on its content.

• notfunnymom
    notfunnymom Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I would be more concerned with eating the STINKY tuna in a room full of people. lol
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    We talk about all da foodz here and look how we fight. It's carrying over into the real world. Or right, maybe it started there first.

Edited to add: I hate lettuce so much.

I will never understand iceburg lettuce. Why is this the norm as a salad base?! There is no nutritional value and it tastes like . . . . nothing (to me, anyway). Other lettuces aren't much better, but I'll take a good spinach or kale salad :9
  • DJ_Skywalker
    Options
    DamieBird wrote: »
    We talk about all da foodz here and look how we fight. It's carrying over into the real world. Or right, maybe it started there first.

I will never understand iceburg lettuce. Why is this the norm as a salad base?! There is no nutritional value and it tastes like . . . . nothing (to me, anyway). Other lettuces aren't much better, but I'll take a good spinach or kale salad :9

I love spinach and tuna ... with bacon
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    People are really bad at making small talk, and food is one of those things (like the weather) that everyone can talk about, because everyone eats. I know these comments are annoying, but the intentions probably weren't bad.

And people I work with always assuming I am judging what they eat, because I usually eat very healthy. I always get these weird, "Ugh, I need to eat like you but I was just craving fries!" comments that make me a little uncomfortable, too. I think we're all a little weird when it comes to eating!!!
  • BurlzGettingFit
    BurlzGettingFit Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    DamieBird wrote: »

I LOVE iceburg with my spinach or kale, I have to have the crunch!
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options

My cat loves it and eats a lot of it and he is over 100 years old!

• DJ_Skywalker
    Options

I only fight about food on the internet! (Except for with my sister. I am obnoxious if she eats canned tuna (especially with mayo, awful!) around me, since we started that more than 30 years ago and I miss the 80s).

Sigh ... I miss the 80's
  • dianelowesimmons
    dianelowesimmons Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I NEVER EVER comment on anyone's food, weight, or any personal aspects in the workplace. The only exception is possibly a positive comment on a great new haircut or something like "gee that smells good" when someone has yummy food. It's just rude to make negative or intrusive comments.

If someone commented that she was very hungry, and then picked at a small amount of tuna, I might have THOUGHT it was a little odd, but would never have commented. Repeated behavior along those lines might have made me wonder about an eating disorder or an overly serious diet. But unless I had a close relationship with the person I would never comment.

Yes, your co-worker was rude. Yes it's annoying to have your food scrutinized for any reason.

One of my co-workers went through a siege of commenting if she disliked what someone was eating or how it was prepared. Like every day she did this. I finally got tired of it. The last time she commented on my food, my reply was, "I tell you what. You eat what you want and I will eat what I want and we will both be happy." She shut up and hasn't done it since.
  • DJ_Skywalker
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I can't assume whether someone is eating 500-3000 calories a day just by 2 oz of tuna or a leaf of lettuce. Who knows what they had for breakfast or will have at home. We are so busy at work, so many of us hardly have time to eat during the day apart from snacking here and there.

Yeah but again... OP said she was hungry! Then she ate almost nothing.

Context, people.

I can tell you I'm hungry right now and still only eat tuna ... why? Because it's all I have at the moment, it's what I've allowed in my calories for lunch or maybe I don't want to be the only one eating a full meal during a meeting ... whatever the reason wouldn't excuse rude behavior
  • DJ_Skywalker
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I can't assume whether someone is eating 500-3000 calories a day just by 2 oz of tuna or a leaf of lettuce. Who knows what they had for breakfast or will have at home. We are so busy at work, so many of us hardly have time to eat during the day apart from snacking here and there.

Yeah but again... OP said she was hungry! Then she ate almost nothing.

Context, people.

I can tell you I'm hungry right now and still only eat tuna ... why? Because it's all I have at the moment, it's what I've allowed in my calories for lunch or maybe I don't want to be the only one eating a full meal during a meeting ... whatever the reason wouldn't excuse rude behavior

Like I said above, if someone made a thing about being hungry and then didn't eat a meal when everyone else was I'd maybe assume she hadn't had time to go get something or had forgotten it. So, to be nice (since I personally dislike having to skip lunch) I might ask -- as OP said -- if she wanted to go get something, we'd wait. (I wouldn't offer to share, but people have done that to me and I didn't get offended or think it was rude.)

So the idea that the co-worker was being mean doesn't seem consistent with the story to me. (Also, if people were being so pushy about food, why not say something to the lettuce woman. Presumably because it was out of concern as OP had said she was hungry.)

Did the co-worker go over the top if the facts of the OP are 100% accurate? Sure, but people are weird all the time and frankly I am cautious to judge when we don't know the other side.

Agreed about being cautious to judge <3

I just felt the OP was truly bothered by it and she may have reason for it ... reason that we don't know about.
    I read OP state that not everyone in the meeting was eating so I figured she was nibbling on her tuna since she was hungry.