55-65 year old women's success?

Options

Replies

• mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I just want to know if the lady on the left ever had kids! I work out quite a bit, but my child bearing belly is forever wrinkly. :p
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Wikipedia doesn't list any, and from the write up doesn't look like it. I've never had kids and my belly is pretty wrinkly too (and I'm lots younger than her). Wonder if she uses something.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    I keep hearing that we should eat " enough" protein- but ho much is enough for our age group- or do we just eat the macros(amount) that mfp suggests-
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,050 Member
    Options
    debtay123 wrote: »
    I keep hearing that we should eat " enough" protein- but ho much is enough for our age group- or do we just eat the macros(amount) that mfp suggests-

I like 0.6-0.8g per pound of a healthy goal weight, though some argue for 1g/pound of healthy goal weight. We don't need protein to maintain fat mass, so it only makes sense to calculate based on a healthy goal (or lean body mass, if we have a way to estimate that accurately - but most of us don't).

This is in excess of the USDA recommendation (by a good bit), but there's research suggesting we benefit from more as we age, when we're in a calorie deficit, or when we're exercising in ways that require muscle (re-)generation . . . and extra protein, within reason, isn't injurious to a healthy person.

These days, in maintenance, I get a minimum of 100g daily, and usually exceed that. (0.8 x 120 pounds = 96, with a little insurance, 100).
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I have seen Ernestine (I think that is her name!) before & she is amazing. It was the old frail looking lady that I hope really isn't 74...definitely don't want to look like that in 6 1/2 years!
  • lovesretirement
    lovesretirement Posts: 2,661 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    http://dailyburn.com/life/fitness/strength-training-aging-study-100714/

Here's a good article on strength training and protein.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    This is a really nice breakdown of 6 exercises everyone should try and you can easily do them at home with a couple of dumbbells. No excuses.

http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/6-exercises-everyone/
  • FHImagined
    FHImagined Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    luluinca wrote: »
    This is a really nice breakdown of 6 exercises everyone should try and you can easily do them at home with a couple of dumbbells. No excuses.

http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/6-exercises-everyone/

This does look good! I was told recently by a trainer planks are the best exercise for your abs.
  • 1Nana2many
    1Nana2many Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    debtay123 wrote: »
    I just went to the doctor today- and my labs are excellent- I got a good report-of course I still am in the process of losing weight- but I am so happy for this site and all our friends here since we like to encourage each other!

Congratulations on your improving stats! Inspiration to keep moving forward!
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,315 Member
    Options
    The pictures & sharing are so inspirational
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    You are doing it girl! great job-
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,050 Member
    Options
    I'm about to turn 61. January 20, 2017 weighed 216. May 18, 2017, I weigh 178. I'm 5'8" tall. This is the most weight I've lost in years, and my ultimate goal is to lose 20 more pounds. Keep it up. We can do this.

You look great: I think that besides obvious weight loss, your color is better - healthier looking. Well done, and best wishes for continued success!
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    @LaceyBirds Excellent observation!
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I actually agree with LaceyBirds. Maybe I commented without thinking...I don't have 6 pack abs & never will & I am fine with that. The reason I said about weight lifting is more for structural strength for living....I fell 7 years ago & broke my arm & leg. I really do not want a repeat of that.
  • LaceyBirds
    LaceyBirds Posts: 451 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I actually agree with LaceyBirds. Maybe I commented without thinking...I don't have 6 pack abs & never will & I am fine with that. The reason I said about weight lifting is more for structural strength for living....I fell 7 years ago & broke my arm & leg. I really do not want a repeat of that.

Sent you a PM, but I started off quoting you because of your comment about the photo and that you doubted the woman was 74. I had previously researched that photo and knew who took it and that somebody had just pulled a "sad old woman" picture from Google Image Search to make that comparison. My post started off with that in mind but changed as I wrote it. I should have re-read my post and not used your quote but used the photo instead. I apologize for attributing my rant to your words, and hope I didn't make you feel bad.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!