Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

NYT article about obesity stating it's genetic, not lack of willpower

Options

Replies

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Gamliela wrote: »
    I have often thought that I'd rather enter an ebola crisis overweight than at w low bmi though.

Viruses tend to not discriminate by weight...or anything for that matter.

Oh! Viruses. Adenoviruses?
    Hmm... haven't looked at the research in years. Obesity MIGHT be contagious.
    I'm off to wash my hands.

Filovirus - ancient and one of the reasons this little bug has such a high mortality rate. Seeing the impact firsthand is quite frankly terrifying. This is what steered me into microbiology.
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    And still not a single rebuttal in the form of an actual scientific study. Not even one... lol My weight loss ticker is not private. I don't log my food here because MFP is a hostile environment; it's been that way for years. I log my food on a safer website. As I've said repeatedly, I fully understand how CICO works, the difference is that some people's calorie out is very different from the average. That's what you seem to be unable to grasp, or, show a scientific study debunking. I'm done with this thread. You guys had all afternoon to find one peer-reviewed study, you shared none.

That says it all for me.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    Samarisa wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    erickirb wrote: »
    If it were genetics, why do we now have more obesity than 20 years ago?
    THIS. Also if were just genetics, then how do people who are "genetically thin" have the same risk of getting obese when changing their diet to one that's much much higher calories?
    Granted environment makes a difference. If one celebrates with food or hangs around food all the time, it's not uncommon for them to get overweight or obese. But it one CANNOT get obese if they don't surplus. And that's more a behavioral issue than a genetic issue.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

And then you ask how much of our behavior is genetic. And down the rabbit hole you go.

Although I think environment matters more. And affects the epigenome, too. Which is why I hate seeing parents loading their kids up on low nutrient convenience foods and allowing them to sit around, play video games, and get obese.
    Behavior is learned not really genetic. You can take any child and put them in any environment and they will learn behavior that's consistent with that environment.
    It's like saying a kid is spoiled. Were they born that way or RAISED that way? Same with religious beliefs.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png