Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Macy9336 wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Guys I get everyone's point but I was trying to state sugar isn't normally what someone thinks of when they think of ketchup-idk about you guys but personally one tablespoon of ketchup is not satisfactory for me when eating meat for example so it adds up without realising

But some of us do think "sugar" the moment a tiny drop of that stuff touches our tongues. It's one of the reasons I don't like it.

When it comes to meat, I'd rather just salt it or add spices like garlic, chili, or curry ... or several others depending on what I'm making.
    Different opinions I guess, I personally eat ketchup with virtually everything and avoid salt but I appreciate the clarity thank you :)

For what it's worth I thought ketchup was a good example not because it has sugar in it, but because over time the amount of sugar added to it has increased substantially. You see once HFCS became widely available, they started using it as well as sugar. So today's ketchup from a Heinz and other brands is much sweeter than it used to be.

http://www.heinzketchup.com/Products/Heinz Ketchup 32oz

No sugar in it, only hfcs, a tiny bit more total sugars than the one I calculated the amount of added sugar for where it was below 1 gram per serving.

Ah, but that's only one line of Heinz ketchup and it's recipe today. I was talking about the recipe overvtime and all their ketchups. If you look. You'll see that today their simply ketchup and organic ketchup lines use sugar not HFCS. Too, Heinz doubled the sugar content in all their ketchups in 1970. They later switched to adding HFCS in various levels over the years...as HFCS got cheaper than sugar the amount of HFCS vs sugar ratio increased until recently earlier THIS year they made their regular line of ketchup sweetened entirely with HFCS.
    Guys I get everyone's point but I was trying to state sugar isn't normally what someone thinks of when they think of ketchup-idk about you guys but personally one tablespoon of ketchup is not satisfactory for me when eating meat for example so it adds up without realising

But some of us do think "sugar" the moment a tiny drop of that stuff touches our tongues. It's one of the reasons I don't like it.

When it comes to meat, I'd rather just salt it or add spices like garlic, chili, or curry ... or several others depending on what I'm making.
    Different opinions I guess, I personally eat ketchup with virtually everything and avoid salt but I appreciate the clarity thank you :)

For what it's worth I thought ketchup was a good example not because it has sugar in it, but because over time the amount of sugar added to it has increased substantially. You see once HFCS became widely available, they started using it as well as sugar. So today's ketchup from a Heinz and other brands is much sweeter than it used to be.

http://www.heinzketchup.com/Products/Heinz Ketchup 32oz

No sugar in it, only hfcs, a tiny bit more total sugars than the one I calculated the amount of added sugar for where it was below 1 gram per serving.

Ah, but that's only one line of Heinz ketchup and it's recipe today. I was talking about the recipe overvtime and all their ketchups. If you look. You'll see that today their simply ketchup and organic ketchup lines use sugar not HFCS. Too, Heinz doubled the sugar content in all their ketchups in 1970. They later switched to adding HFCS in various levels over the years...as HFCS got cheaper than sugar the amount of HFCS vs sugar ratio increased until recently earlier THIS year they made their regular line of ketchup sweetened entirely with HFCS.

Does it really matter if they doubled their added sugar in 1970 if it went from half a gram per serving to one gram per serving?

Depends if you like history or not. It is merely an example of how a lot of companies have significantly upped the sugar content of their products all coinciding with the start of the obesity epidemic, it makes for interesting epidemiological discussion and speculation.

Half a gram of sugar in ketchup is probably not the reason for the obesity epidemic. A sudden increase of calorie dense food availability to near limitless amounts for even the poorest people coupled with a technological explosion reducing the need to actually walk places though...

Bingo.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    So the OP shouldn't stop eating fruit as any sugar ingested from it will not adversely affect their health.

If OP wants to stop eating fruit (doesn't really seem like he does, as he said he would miss it), I don't think it would hurt so long as he eats vegetables. Cutting out all sugar seems to me a bad idea for most, though.

That said, I agree with you that fruit is not actually a concern if the only issue is health and you aren't eating so much you exclude other things needed for a balanced diet (like protein, essential fats, adequate veg) or overeating. I do think there may be more reasons for an individual to reduce carbs, although certainly not everyone.

However, the implication is that eating some added sugar WILL adversely affect one's health, and for the average person that also is not true. Eating added sugar to excess (again, due to calories, crowding out better choices) will of course be a bad idea and unhealthy. While I think there may be something to the repeatedly overloading the liver with large doses of quickly digested sugar concept, you are only going to be doing that if overeating sugar (for the reasons set forth above -- in amounts that lead to a poor diet or excessive calories) anyway, I'd expect. I don't think fueling on sugary gels when running is really the same thing, as you are using the sugar immediately, for example.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Heinz Tomato Ketchup (UK) label.

Ingredients: Tomatoes, Spirit Vinegar, Sugar, Salt, Spice & Herb Extracts, Spice.
    How disgraceful to hide an ingredient right there in the list of ingredients in third place!

And then they tell you how many calories by weight and by suggested serving size.
    Isn't that awful? It's almost like they are giving people the information to take personal responsibility for how many calories they eat.

/sarcasm

So if I am craving something sweet I will just eat a spoon of ketchup
    @strawberrysnap

You could do.
    Or in a couple of months the cherry tomatoes I grow in my garden will be ripe and very sweet.
    Could make ketchup from them by adding vinegar and spices but you wouldn't need to add any more sugar as they are full of sugar already and really sweet tasting when picked off the vine.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Normal ketchup has salt in it.

Yes, and that's another reason I don't use it. I figure if I've got to salt it to cut the sweetness and make it taste OK, and it already has lots of salt in it ... what's the point?

I do wonder about this claim that HFCS was added and it became sweeter in the '70s, as that may be consistent with my memories. I was into salty foods as a kid (would add salt liberally--the idea of doing it to the extent I did seems disgusting now) but never had a huge sweet tooth and HATED when things were sweeter than I thought they should be (I still think sweet salad dressings are weird and an abomination, loathe honey mustard, etc.). We'd do fast food on rare occasion, usually as a group thing, and I remember preferring McD's to BK because the ketchup (which I put on my fries and which came on the burger) at BK's was noticeably sweeter to my palate and ruined everything with it's awful taste. Maybe the brand BK used was just slightly ahead, as this was when I was pretty young, probably between 1975 and 1978 based on where I'm thinking we were living. Hmm.

Or the McD's brand just had more salt to balance the sugar!

For those who live in an area with enough of a Jewish population to warrant either a kosher section at the local supermarket or a dedicated kosher supermarket, if you want sugar, as opposed to HFCS in your ketchup or your Coca-Cola, stock up in Feb-March. See, for Passover, there are certain foods we don't eat. Bread is the main one, but for a lot of us, corn and corn products are on the list, too. Which means that kosher-for-Passover products (the majority of which hit the shelves in Feb-March) are made with regular sugar instead. (Or just not available).
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

Yes, and that's another reason I don't use it. I figure if I've got to salt it to cut the sweetness and make it taste OK, and it already has lots of salt in it ... what's the point?

I do wonder about this claim that HFCS was added and it became sweeter in the '70s, as that may be consistent with my memories. I was into salty foods as a kid (would add salt liberally--the idea of doing it to the extent I did seems disgusting now) but never had a huge sweet tooth and HATED when things were sweeter than I thought they should be (I still think sweet salad dressings are weird and an abomination, loathe honey mustard, etc.). We'd do fast food on rare occasion, usually as a group thing, and I remember preferring McD's to BK because the ketchup (which I put on my fries and which came on the burger) at BK's was noticeably sweeter to my palate and ruined everything with it's awful taste. Maybe the brand BK used was just slightly ahead, as this was when I was pretty young, probably between 1975 and 1978 based on where I'm thinking we were living. Hmm.

For those who live in an area with enough of a Jewish population to warrant either a kosher section at the local supermarket or a dedicated kosher supermarket, if you want sugar, as opposed to HFCS in your ketchup or your Coca-Cola, stock up in Feb-March. See, for Passover, there are certain foods we don't eat. Bread is the main one, but for a lot of us, corn and corn products are on the list, too. Which means that kosher-for-Passover products (the majority of which hit the shelves in Feb-March) are made with regular sugar instead. (Or just not available).

My kids had some issues related to corn products (they grew out of them), and Passover was always like hitting the jackpot for finding them treats to eat.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    I find when I cut refined sugar out of my diet my cravings completely disappear. I never cut out fruits.

Do you understand that OP was asking about cutting out all sugar? Not just added sugar.

Also, he was not asking about cravings and did not seem to have an issue with cravings. (I never had an issue with cravings, but if one did I am not surprised that cutting down on sweets (likely with fat too) might help with that, for some, nothing about sugar specifically in that case, as shown by the fact that you did not cut out fruit. Other people find that eating lower carb helps, and for them cutting down on fruit and potatoes might make sense.)

I just don't see why these threads never focus on what OP asked (and he did ask for experiences and thoughts, no one was telling him not to do whatever, just letting him know what all he'd be cutting out if he cut out sugar).
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Ok I tried this out a while ago and it honestly wasn't as hard as it seems but be careful because first of all the only benefit I had was less sugar cravings but I had major headaches plus there is lots of sugar in hidden things like ketchup etc

The sugar in ketchup isn't "hidden". It's an ingredient. If you don't know it's there, it's a deficiency in your cooking knowledge, not something "hidden".
    I actually meant people wouldn't automatically assume ketchup has a lot of added sugar but ok take my comment as you wish

My point is that people are so divorced from what goes in their food these days that they don't seem to have any idea that there is sugar in things like ketchup, and bread and all sports of foods that aren't commonly thought of as sugary, but then are made out to have "hidden" sugar, when really it's just a lack of food knowledge on the part of the consumer.
    So you know everything that is in your food? It's trial and error, people learn through mistakes and exploring food labels

I can't speak for everyone here, but I've been reading labels for 30+ years ... ever since labels have started appearing on food! So yeah, I've got a reasonable idea what's in there. Even as a kid, I read the ingredients lists on cereal boxes in both English and French.

I've also been counting calories for 30+ years. When there weren't helpful sites like this, I went to the library and researched how many calories were in things ... and what was in things.

Fortunately, my mother was a nurse and she had numerous medical texts some of which also assisted me in finding out what was in the food I ate.
    My mom figured out I was a very early reader when I was sitting in the grocery cart and she'd hand me stuff to put in the cart and I'd read stuff off the label to her. Nearly 40 years ago. I can say that I've pretty much read labels as long as I've read. My brother used to refuse to pass stuff to us at dinner- like condiments- unless we could guess a certain number of ingredients.
    Ok I tried this out a while ago and it honestly wasn't as hard as it seems but be careful because first of all the only benefit I had was less sugar cravings but I had major headaches plus there is lots of sugar in hidden things like ketchup etc

The sugar in ketchup isn't "hidden". It's an ingredient. If you don't know it's there, it's a deficiency in your cooking knowledge, not something "hidden".
    I actually meant people wouldn't automatically assume ketchup has a lot of added sugar but ok take my comment as you wish

My point is that people are so divorced from what goes in their food these days that they don't seem to have any idea that there is sugar in things like ketchup, and bread and all sports of foods that aren't commonly thought of as sugary, but then are made out to have "hidden" sugar, when really it's just a lack of food knowledge on the part of the consumer.
    So you know everything that is in your food? It's trial and error, people learn through mistakes and exploring food labels

I can't speak for everyone here, but I've been reading labels for 30+ years ... ever since labels have started appearing on food! So yeah, I've got a reasonable idea what's in there. Even as a kid, I read the ingredients lists on cereal boxes in both English and French.

I've also been counting calories for 30+ years. When there weren't helpful sites like this, I went to the library and researched how many calories were in things ... and what was in things.

Fortunately, my mother was a nurse and she had numerous medical texts some of which also assisted me in finding out what was in the food I ate.

I have celiac disease, and my kids had various food issues. So I read labels like a hawk, but I seem to remember reading labels long before that. I vaguely remember twigging onto the habit as part of getting my cooking badge as a Girl Scout back when I was 10 years old. Part of that involved planning and shopping for the ingredients for a meal.
    My sister was talking about some Girl Scout badges that involved label reading, and yesterday I saw a mom teaching her tween daughter how to shop in the grocery store.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

Yeah, we do -- I live in Chicago -- and that's a popular thing with some, especially with Coke.

(I don't consume ketchup or sugary soda, so not an issue for me, but I know some prize the Passover soda.)
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options

Yeah, we do -- I live in Chicago -- and that's a popular thing with some, especially with Coke.

(I don't consume ketchup or sugary soda, so not an issue for me, but I know some prize the Passover soda.)

They can buy Mexican coke year round...it is made with real sugar. Costco sells it.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    I knew Mexican Coke was a thing too, but didn't realize it was available at Costco. (Not relevant to me, but interesting nonetheless.)
  • MoiAussi93
    Options
    I knew Mexican Coke was a thing too, but didn't realize it was available at Costco. (Not relevant to me, but interesting nonetheless.)

I have no idea if it is in all Costcos, but it is in the ones near me. Worth looking into for people who drink soda (it does taste better than American coke...I am not a regular soda drinker, but I can taste the difference.)
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Supposedly you can get it at a Mexican/Central American grocery too, but there are mixed reports on that too (it seems to be available off and on at Costco, based on internet searching). It's in my grocery at Passover, though.

Related article: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smithsonian-institution/story-mexican-coke-more-complex-than-hipsters-would-admit-180956032/

Random weirdness I was just talking about with someone Saturday -- I thought my grocery had discontinued selling Dr. Brown's a few years ago, but they just moved it out of the pop section (or soda, whatever) and into the "Jewish" aisle, which seemed weird. Their selection of it isn't as good as it used to be (unrelated to the moving, it's happened more recently, but maybe because fewer people notice and buy it where it is now, stupid store) and they don't sell any of the diet ones anymore, sadly for me.
  • MoiAussi93
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Random weirdness I was just talking about with someone Saturday -- I thought my grocery had discontinued selling Dr. Brown's a few years ago, but they just moved it out of the pop section (or soda, whatever) and into the "Jewish" aisle, which seemed weird. Their selection of it isn't as good as it used to be (unrelated to the moving, it's happened more recently, but maybe because fewer people notice and buy it where it is now, stupid store) and they don't sell any of the diet ones anymore, sadly for me.

I hate stores that organize with the ethnic sections. If I want to buy chick peas, I just buy the cheapest can of chick peas...but the goya brand (often but not always cheaper) is in a different section than all the other chick peas.

Even stranger... I buy chicken and beef bouillon. One store I shop at sells Knorr bouillon both in the section with the other bouillons and chicken stocks and soups...and in the special Mexican food aisle. The exact same jar of bouillon (same size, same everything) is cheaper in the Mexican aisle! Needless to say I buy the Mexican aisle jar.
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Now that i have not been eating much refined sugar products, the food that has sugar in it, is very sweet. so here is what i do - bbq sauce is too much sugar, but ketchup is better and even better than that - salsa. you can really change your food choices if you want to enjoy sauce, but not be so sweet.
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    The answer to all these alleged "hidden" sugars is this - learn all you can. Learn what the different names for sugar is - sucrose, fructose, lactose, cane sugar, white sugar, brown sugar, etc. (theres more).. then you don't have to be surprised. And learn that the ingredients in foods are listed in order of quantity. Ingredients with "ose" is a sugar, i.e. sucrose, fructose, etc. Then theres Stevia and all those others, then theres HFCS which is found in processed food items. Learn these things and you wont ever be fooled. May as well , we learn about other things we want.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Recent study showing the sugar in fresh fruit is metabolised differently from refined sugars such that fresh fruit is beneficial to the health of even people with diabetes. So the OP shouldn't stop eating fruit as any sugar ingested from it will not adversely affect their health.
    https://www.wellandgood.com/good-food/fresh-fruit-lowers-risk-of-diabetes/

Link to the study on PLOS itself.
    http://journals.plos.org/plosmedicine/article?id=10.1371/journal.pmed.1002279
    Yeah, not seeing that in the actual articles. But you must be reading it much differently. Refer to above post to see how digestion of carbs actually works.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png