Cutting Sugar From my Diet entirely

Options

Replies

• strawberrysnap
    strawberrysnap Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Ok I tried this out a while ago and it honestly wasn't as hard as it seems but be careful because first of all the only benefit I had was less sugar cravings but I had major headaches plus there is lots of sugar in hidden things like ketchup etc

The sugar in ketchup isn't "hidden". It's an ingredient. If you don't know it's there, it's a deficiency in your cooking knowledge, not something "hidden".
    I actually meant people wouldn't automatically assume ketchup has a lot of added sugar but ok take my comment as you wish

My point is that people are so divorced from what goes in their food these days that they don't seem to have any idea that there is sugar in things like ketchup, and bread and all sports of foods that aren't commonly thought of as sugary, but then are made out to have "hidden" sugar, when really it's just a lack of food knowledge on the part of the consumer.
    So you know everything that is in your food? It's trial and error, people learn through mistakes and exploring food labels
  • strawberrysnap
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Heinz Tomato Ketchup (UK) label.

Ingredients: Tomatoes, Spirit Vinegar, Sugar, Salt, Spice & Herb Extracts, Spice.
    How disgraceful to hide an ingredient right there in the list of ingredients in third place!

And then they tell you how many calories by weight and by suggested serving size.
    Isn't that awful? It's almost like they are giving people the information to take personal responsibility for how many calories they eat.

/sarcasm

So if I am craving something sweet I will just eat a spoon of ketchup

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,931 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Heinz Tomato Ketchup (UK) label.

Ingredients: Tomatoes, Spirit Vinegar, Sugar, Salt, Spice & Herb Extracts, Spice.
    How disgraceful to hide an ingredient right there in the list of ingredients in third place!

And then they tell you how many calories by weight and by suggested serving size.
    Isn't that awful? It's almost like they are giving people the information to take personal responsibility for how many calories they eat.

/sarcasm

So if I am craving something sweet I will just eat a spoon of ketchup

You could!! It is that sweet to the taste. When I'm in NA, if I actually use ketchup on anything (very rare), I will salt it to try to cut the syrupy sweet taste.
  • strawberrysnap
    Options
    Guys I get everyone's point but I was trying to state sugar isn't normally what someone thinks of when they think of sugar-idk about you guys but personally one tablespoon of ketchup is not satisfactory for me when eating meat for example so it adds up without realising
  • strawberrysnap
    Options
    * I mean ketchup typo sorry
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,931 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Guys I get everyone's point but I was trying to state sugar isn't normally what someone thinks of when they think of ketchup-idk about you guys but personally one tablespoon of ketchup is not satisfactory for me when eating meat for example so it adds up without realising

But some of us do think "sugar" the moment a tiny drop of that stuff touches our tongues. It's one of the reasons I don't like it.

When it comes to meat, I'd rather just salt it or add spices like garlic, chili, or curry ... or several others depending on what I'm making.

• strawberrysnap
    Options
    People are here for different reasons and one is to learn but there is a difference openly exposing people and simply informing
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Macy9336 wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    1coolmofo wrote: »
    1coolmofo wrote: »
    Start reasonably and cut refined sugars for 2 weeks and see how you feel. Make sure you are not replacing with a bunch of artificial sweeteners. Due to a health issue I had to cut refined sugars but still use honey agave and natural sugars in fruits and vegetables. My goal is to stay under 30g a day. Think that is about as close as I can get to "no sugar" and eat a complete diet. (2100 cal/day)

How would cutting refined sugar help a health issue if you are replacing it with natural sugar?

Your body doesn't care where it comes from. Sugar is sugar.

Your body does care.
    Refined sugar is broken down by the body differently than natural occouring sugars.
    Refined sugars are made of bonded sucrose and glucose and when they are processed by the body it dramatically increases insulin production. Or in my case fuel for bacteria production. Consuming 30g +/- of sugar daily is pretty low considering a 12oz can of coke contains 40g.

Got a link to some science on that?

1) Refined sugar (table sugar, also called sucrose) is made of glucose and fructose. Guess what honey is made of? Glucose and fructose. Guess what high fructose corn syrup is made of? You guessed it - glucose and fructose.

2) The body digests/metabolizes all sugars (refined or natural) into monosaccharides (chiefly glucose), regardless of their source. Sugar is sugar.

How your body metabolises naturally occurring sugars is different from how it metabolises artificial or processed/refined sugars. They did a study of artificial honey versus natural honey where the artificial honey had exact same ratio of glucose to fructose molecules. What they found was that the body treated the two honeys significantly differently. Too, in studies of the Kuna people who get the majority of their calories from fruit, there are no sugar related diseases and their body mass remains lean. Further studies have shown that the same molecules of sugar are processed differently...for example the fructose eaten with fruit was processed differently from HFCS...and actually that pure fructose was toxic.
    https://chriskresser.com/is-all-sugar-created-equal/
    NOT a peer reviewed article and written by a guy that SUPPORTS and sells Paleo books. FAIL.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Given. But he is simply summarising peer reviewed studies that are published on PubMed and are referenced within his article via hyperlinks. It's up to you if you want to ignore the actual studies he's referencing simply because this news reporter as it were is not an expert and has personal views you don't agree with. Me, I don't really dig into the personal background of reporters, I just skip to the scientific studies behind it. You're never going to find an article without bias one way or another. But it seems you'd only actually consider articles by people with the same bias as yourself, which is a bit narrow minded imho. I'm not a Paleo advocate myself simply because there is no one Paleo Diet that ever existed in human history so the name itself and its whole theory is based on a nonexistent premise. But that said, doesn't mean I'm not going to be open to information from all sources. I'd be happy to review any articles or studies you may wish to post on the subject. Saying you don't agree because of the credential of a reporter isn't really presenting additional information so much as criticising a spokespersons personal views...somewhat irrelevant. Cheers.
  • strawberrysnap
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Guys I get everyone's point but I was trying to state sugar isn't normally what someone thinks of when they think of ketchup-idk about you guys but personally one tablespoon of ketchup is not satisfactory for me when eating meat for example so it adds up without realising

But some of us do think "sugar" the moment a tiny drop of that stuff touches our tongues. It's one of the reasons I don't like it.

When it comes to meat, I'd rather just salt it or add spices like garlic, chili, or curry ... or several others depending on what I'm making.
    Different opinions I guess, I personally eat ketchup with virtually everything and avoid salt but I appreciate the clarity thank you :)

• Macy9336
    Options

Different opinions I guess, I personally eat ketchup with virtually everything and avoid salt but I appreciate the clarity thank you :)

For what it's worth I thought ketchup was a good example not because it has sugar in it, but because over time the amount of sugar added to it has increased substantially. You see once HFCS became widely available, they started using it as well as sugar. So today's ketchup from a Heinz and other brands is much sweeter than it used to be.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

For what it's worth I thought ketchup was a good example not because it has sugar in it, but because over time the amount of sugar added to it has increased substantially. You see once HFCS became widely available, they started using it as well as sugar. So today's ketchup from a Heinz and other brands is much sweeter than it used to be.

http://www.heinzketchup.com/Products/Heinz Ketchup 32oz

No sugar in it, only hfcs, a tiny bit more total sugars than the one I calculated the amount of added sugar for where it was below 1 gram per serving.
  • Macy9336
    Options

http://www.heinzketchup.com/Products/Heinz Ketchup 32oz

No sugar in it, only hfcs, a tiny bit more total sugars than the one I calculated the amount of added sugar for where it was below 1 gram per serving.

Ah, but that's only one line of Heinz ketchup and it's recipe today. I was talking about the recipe overvtime and all their ketchups. If you look. You'll see that today their simply ketchup and organic ketchup lines use sugar not HFCS. Too, Heinz doubled the sugar content in all their ketchups in 1970. They later switched to adding HFCS in various levels over the years...as HFCS got cheaper than sugar the amount of HFCS vs sugar ratio increased until recently earlier THIS year they made their regular line of ketchup sweetened entirely with HFCS.
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I loooooooooove ketchup! If you see me eating ketchup, you would say, "Would you like some fries with your ketchup?"

I try to keep my sodium levels down, and ketchup, sadly, has a lot of sodium.