WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2017

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,922 Member
    Options
    miakoda40 wrote: »
    had surgery thursday may 25. able to walk to the living room and back twice a day. should be up to 3 times but i'll take it. have first post surgery dr appt tomorrow. that's all for now folks.

mia in mi

:) slow and steady will get you there. After my surgery in September I could walk just like you described and using a walker. It got better every day. Best wishes to you. <3
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Mia, glad you're doing ok!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Rhonda in TN: Welcome to a great group! :smiley:

Rita: Are you taking Vitamin D3? I recommend it. One of its nicknames is "the sunshine vitamin." It really helps my mood during the long winters here and I take it year round, although I adjust my dose upward in the darker months. (((HUGS)))

Mia: I'm happy that your surgery is behind you. I hope the Dr. appt goes well. :flowerforyou:

We have an overcast day today and my mood seems to match it. I thought about going into the gym and trying out Tuesday Yoga, but I'm grumpy & have a bit of a headache so I decided to stay home.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

"The greatest weapon against stress is our ability to choose one thought over another." - William James

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,551 Member
    Options
    Aaaa
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Janet. I empathize with you on the frustration of closet eating or just plain sneaking food. Everyone has remedies on how to handle it, and I suppose all you can do is pick and choose a path that will get you thru the habit. I will say how proud I was that you expressed it to us. That alone speaks volumes of your character!

So, something that I have realized is that when I find myself thinking guilty thoughts, wishing to buy things and just inhale them in the car, it comes from a place of control. When I lack control, it is a non feeling, zoned out, numbness, that takes the word of control right out of the situation. Its effects are fleeting, and short lived. The after affects are self loathing, and guilt ridden.

So what to do? Like anything that achieves a loss of control within yourself, you have choices. Submit and throw in the towel, or stop and persevere. For me I learned that I am in the drivers seat of my own life. I control my actions. When I feel stressed I do have thoughts of self pity, and what helps me is writing down my stresses in a journal. When you put them down on paper you release the hold it had on your life. I have held onto some doozies when it comes to stresses, but I realize that all my energies cultivating that stress will have power over you. Soon you are just riding shotgun and not being the driver of your oiwn life!

I am not that same person that made decisions haphazardly. Each day is a victory and not a day to wallow in a sad disposition. So I remember and feel grateful I woke up. I woke up from living my life unfeeling, fuzzy numb. No passion in food, myself, or my life. The days of walking around my city, eating fast food meals, and buying sweet bags of garbage is over.

We are smart, intelligent ladies, with issues as most have. Its how we face them head on that is the difference. I feel powerful by being a part of you all.

Becca
    Oregon
  • coastalgosgal
    Options
    Oops I forgot to hug ya all!

((((((((((((((((((((((((((Hugs!)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Becca
  • coastalgosgal
    Options
    juivsx1r48o3.jpg

Oooh marinated pickled veggies!!!!
  • coastalgosgal
    Options
    h5amqzm3ari3.jpg
    After a particularly rainy night, with bouts of hail, I am feeling a sense of stately pride.
    Becca
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Mia - Glad the surgery is behind you. Take it slow and easy, one day at a time. So proud of you lady.

Janetr OKC
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    mia sending <3 and strength. Take it one step at a time. Don't be surprised if you feel a set back a few days from the surgery it is very typical. Take care
    NYKAREN
  • Katla49
    Options
    Lanette: I love the message that, "My alone time is sometimes for your safety." :bigsmile:

• gotu52
    gotu52 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Katie I used to closet eat all the time. Now it is very rare. I am so glad those days are behind us. If I need to eat some crap from time to time, then I work it into my day. This gets rid of the concept of dieting and cheating; two words that for me don't belong in a healthy lifestyle.

Just made a lovely and colourful stir fry with marinated tofu. My DH will have it with rice, I will skip that and have some hot sauce on the side instead. There is a ginormous ugly bug on my window and I am hoping it leaves by the same door it came in :#

Did my workout early so I can just relax for the evening!

Take care everyone.
    Sarah.
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Lanette: I love the message that, "My alone time is sometimes for your safety." :bigsmile:

Katla, that used to be my screensaver at work! I think we introverts find it particularly applicable, lol.

Enjoy that cool weather down there! This morning we had "Oregon mist" - it missed Oregon (did it?) and hit SW Washington.

Lanette

• coastalgosgal
    Options
    drkatiebug wrote: »
    Re closet eating. I've been there done that, wore the 2x tee-shirt to prove it. One sentence from the TOPS pledge that always stood out for me, "even though I overeat in private, my excess poundage is there for all the world to see." And it's been probably fifteen years since I've been to TOPS.

I can remember just waiting for my DH to go somewhere so that I could hit the cabinets. He would sometimes comment on my excess snacking, which annoyed me to no end. The food boundary that works best for me is no unplanned snacking. None, nada, zilch. I don't always keep my boundaries, but I do have them and a plan in place if I break them.

Luckily drinking has never been my problem. I'd much rather eat my calories.

TOPS took that particular phrase out of their pledge! Ruffled too many feathers I guess..
    Becca
  • Katla49
    Options
    Felicia from the Willamette Valley: Welcome to a great group of supportive women! I grew up in Salem but haven't lived there since High School days. What part of the Willamette Valley are you from?

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • DanaReel180
    DanaReel180 Posts: 463 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I spent 11 hours traveling home and I'm sick! Just slept all day. :s

Katla, Janet, Kelly: Thanks for the comments on my picture of my dad. Tell Jack that the men had to alternate spending the night on the deck. It was crowded and unpleasant experience down below. There were many floors. It was, after all, a cruise ship that was commissioned for troop transport.

Dana,
    My picture today is Denver Intl. Airport. DIA, it was built like that to mimic the Rockies.
    i0gfy52nkcbn.jpg
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    My smile for the evening. :)
    5rapzx7jflgl.jpg