WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2017

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Early June Big Goals

1) Finish large university assignment worth 40% of my mark. 25% is due Monday. 15% is due Wednesday. I have most of the 15% done, but still a long way to go on the 25%.

2) Cycle a 50 km Permanent in order to keep our standing in the Petite Year Round Randonneur challenge. We need to do that on Saturday. fortunately it shouldn't take too much time away from Goal 1.

I've got about 47 other things I also need to accomplish in the first week of June, but those are the main ones.

M in Oz

May 2015: 361.81 km (224.8 miles) = 35 hours 50 min
    May 2016: 267.09 km (165.9 miles) = 36 hours 10 min

May 2017 Totals

Walking Distance (km): 84.3
    Walking Time (min): 1053.8
    Cycling Distance (km): 336.5
    Cycling Time (min): 1206.6
    Stairs Climbed Number: 78.0
    Stairs Climbed Time (min): 62.4
    Other Distance: 5.8
    Other Time: 39.0

Totals
    Total Distance (km): 426.6
    Total Distance (miles): 265.1
    Total Time (min): 2361.8
    Total Time (hr): 39:21:47

So despite being knocked out of the game on May 18th with surgery ... this May wasn't too bad. :)
    Keep in mind May is late Autumn here too ... dark and chilly.

June 2015: 569.53 km (353.9 miles) = 41 hours 53 min
    June 2016: 552.1 km (343 miles) = 54 hours 48 min

So I'll see what I can do in June 2017. :)

Happy first day of Winter!

M in Oz
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Becca wrote: I have to [...] just drink a big glass every couple of hours, and STOP at about 5 pm, so I am not up all night.
    I get up several times every night too, but I love doing that because of what I have outside my windows. Last night I got up three or four times and was entertained by hares every single time. (I'm on the mainland now.) Up in Longyearbyen, in spring and summer, I like to try to guess what time it is from the position of the sun. In the winter, I check for northern lights.

Besides, I read somewhere that a frequent need to pee is God's way of ensuring that us old folks keep our joints limber through the long night. :laugh:
    Sharon wrote: To be truthful I can't even remember what my May Goals were. Yes, that is how bad this haze of work stress, health stress and frustration has been.
    (((Hugs))) Sharon :heart: I know from my own experience what a devastating effect stress can have on our physical and emotional health. Breaking that vicious cycle is tough. It's so easy to think "I'll start doing stuff for my own sake soon, but first I need to finish X, Y and Z". There's so much pressure to perform, both external and internal pressure. Do take care of yourself, Honey.

Float therapy sounds like a good first step. I haven't done it myself, but a stressed-out friend in Sweden said it worked wonders for her.

Tere and Ginger, nice to see you again! Tere, I'm sorry to hear about all your troubles.

As I mentioned, I'm on the mainland, out at our island place. I set up the bird feeder yesterday as soon as I arrived and I've already got about 7 species visiting. I hope I never get so decrepit I can't go out walking, but if I do, I'll still be able to take pleasure in bird watching.

Although I originally intended to get my garden started, I'll have to wait a while. The soil isn't anywhere near germination temperature yet! The forecast calls for highs of about 40F for the next few days, maybe shooting up to the high 50s toward the weekend. :noway:

/Penny, feeling that June ought to be a bit warmer, even near the North Pole
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Joyce I am sorry that your school's alumni leaves you feeling left out--I think your persistence in graduating and being a dedicated nurse is an inspiration. I believe nurses are angels!!! I've always been blessed with the most special nurses anytime I've been in need.

Will have to think about goals for June a little more seriously, will post later.

Looking forward to a positive and healthy month.
    NYKAREN
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,216 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

Welcome back Teri and Ginger! <3

Cheri - That ol'water weight will do it! I hope you find out what's causing it.

A couple of you have mentioned trigger foods for me that I can't have in the house. Crunchy whole peanut butter and hummus. Both are very good for you, but horrendously high in calories. I absolutely adore them. :'( I only eat peanut butter at my son's house. Every time I pass it by at the supermarket I get a pang, but I do not buy it. Similarly hummus. I would only buy it, or usually make a lower fat version myself, if we have guests. Don't have chips (crisps in British) in the house. Don't have my favourite smelly cheese. I don't put temptation in my way. :laugh: I have zilch willpower. Last time I bought smelly cheese for my brother's birthday I gave the remainder to him to take home. o:)

DJ - (((hugs))) I can't even imagine having a member of the family permanently in my house. You were very brave to contemplate it. The only person I can stand for long is DH and that's because we respect each other's space. I hope you find a solution.

My day has been thrown upside down. I was meant to be going down to Portsmouth on the train for lunch with my girlfriend. I got all ready. Changed handbags to a new stripey summer one. Even ironed a top. (A very rare event) Just before leaving I checked that the trains were ok and mine had broken down and was cancelled. :sad: Frantic phonecalls to my friend and now she is driving up to me and we will go to the pub for lunch. She is arriving in about twenty minutes. Phew! I don't know how she does it! Yesterday she went to York in the north of England. Tomorrow she is driving to Oxford and she is back up to York at the weekend. I would be utterly collapsed! I have no stamina.

DH is going to make dinner tonight. Lamb and flageolet stew. Yum!

I'm up several times a night for the toilet as well. Last night I couldn't get to sleep until 1.45. Grrrrrrrrrr! No reason, just twitchy. I had had a pretty good day and no nap. Ate under calories. No alcohol. Very annoying though. :grumble:

Love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxx

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,054 Member
    Options
    Seven more days of my long-term sub job. It has kept me busier than I want it too. The scale is starting to finally go in the downward direction. I attribute it to my knee getting better, so I can be more active. I also rarely snack between meals too.
    :heart: Margaret
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,923 Member
    Options
    :)Michele, thanks for the encouragement about my rock project. I remember all your projects that you worked on day after day and how they finally got finished.

:) I drink nine glasses of water a day and always have to use the toilet at least twice during the night. Now that I have to take the dogs out in the middle of the night, I am grateful that I wake up automatically. Also, since I have to go in the middle of the night, I can understand that dogs need to go also.

:)NYKaren, I don't know the history of your goal to "limit watching the news", but I don't watch or read the news at all. The only time I know anything that's going on is when someone shares it on this thread.

:)Heather, There are many foods that I can't have in my house and certainly can't eat in moderation. Just like you, I learned what they are so I can make the choice to stay away from them. I have not had alcohol in many years since I found out that it affected me so badly.

:)Machka, I have had the same experience as you, getting rid of so many things with each move.

<3 Barbie
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Traveling again today - Midland, then Odessa, won't be home until 6 or 7 p.m. Thinking on my goals, and what I need to do to change my trajectory.
  • NancyLeach123
    NancyLeach123 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Ok ladies...here goes!
    First off thanks for the add...I am hoping some accountability will help me. But you sure are a busy bunch! First of the month and it took me 15 minutes to read it all!
    June goals:
    Gym or walk 4x each week
    Log all food...even on days ending in "y"......especially Friday and Saturday
    Watch the wine!! Preferably cut it out, but I'll take less for now
    Here goes....
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    :)
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Kate UK <3
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Ginger: Nice to see you! :star:

M in OZ: You have ambitious goals. My bet is that you make every one of them. :smiley: Happy first day of winter.

Michelle: I am sorry that you are itching. I think itching is one of the very worst miseries. I hope you're better soon. :flowerforyou:

Sharon in Lethbridge: I had reflux issues several times lately after being free of them for ages and it was my own doing. I triggered the reflux by including alcohol in my evenings and gained weight plus reflux. I'm back to the straight and narrow. No alcohol and presto change-o---no reflux. (Getting the weight back off is going to take a little more time.) I wonder what causes your reflux. I'm confident you will figure it out. :star:

M in OZ: Happy first day of winter. Our first day of summer is not until June 20. Hmmm. Calendar things are not as symmetrical as I imagined. :embarassed:

Heather: Like you, my will power is strongest at the store and almost non-existent in the house. I can stay out of the alcohol at home & DH likes his evening drinks. :ohwell:

I have a date with Arrow after lunch at the stable today, and since it is raining, I'm grateful for the availability of the arena. Saturday we had a lovely ride out in the pasture & I really enjoyed it. I've been told that he's "barn sour" and didn't see evidence of that on Saturday, but we were out riding with my teacher, so he had the company of another horse and he didn't seem unwilling or anxious.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

"So many of us believe in perfection, which ruins everything else, because the perfect is not only the enemy of the good; it's also the enemy of the realistic, the possible and the fun."

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    M in OZ: Happy first day of winter. Our first day of summer is not until June 20. Hmmm. Calendar things are not as symmetrical as I imagined. :embarassed:

Different countries use different days for the seasons.

Here in Australia, our seasons follow the Meteorological Seasons and are:

June 1 - August 31 = winter
    Sept 1 - Nov 30 = spring
    Dec 1 - Feb 28/29 = summer
    March 1 - May 31 = autumn

Although up north, they kind of go more by wet and dry seasons.
    http://www.australia.gov.au/about-australia/australian-story/austn-weather-and-the-seasons

In North America and Europe, and probably other places too, they follow the Astronomical Seasons which are based on the Equinoxes and Solstices.
    https://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/aboutseasons.html

So ... we've just started winter, which in this part of the world is a lot like winter in the Pacific Northwest of North America. Chilly, rainy, damp and dark.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,552 Member
    Options
    back to the grind peeps - bad hip still, so i'm alot slower :0/
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,216 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Dana - Get well soon! <3

Katla - DH is still having his evening drink most evenings. It doesn't bother me at the moment. I am AF every other day, more or less. The best thing is, with my chart to help me, I am not sneaking drinks. <3 I haven't cheated since I started it, though I have been tempted.
    Today I had a 125 ml glass of wine with lots of soda water. :D My friend had 375 mls in total, so I am pleased with myself. For a starter I had scallops with black pudding and pea puree - a lovely, delicate little dish. For main I had salmon and vegetables and just dipped my fork in the hollandaise. I have guestimated 600 calories for the whole thing including the wine.
    Then I am pleased to say I came back and went on the recumbent bike for 150 calories because I had left 100 calories on the table this morning, thinking we would be walking along the seafront. So 50 bonus! :D
    I like the bike because I can watch TV on my tablet. Luckily one of my favourite property programmes was on, "Escape to the Country" .
    It was so kind of my friend to make an emergency dash up here when I was meant to be going down to her. She is completing on her newbuild York apartment on Monday. I hope I will still see her often - I really value our get togethers.
    Although I have talked with her quite a bit about drinking (she likes her wine) I hadn't really confessed to the recent sneaking and swigging. Now I have. I hope all that is in the past now.

Lovely day here. We call June 21st - longest day - midsummer day. In France they call it the first day of summer. I think summer starts 1st June. Weather should be good this weekend for DH's cricket (four days). Might be a shower or two.

Love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Katla49 wrote: »

Different countries use different days for the seasons.

Here in Australia, our seasons follow the Meteorological Seasons and are:

June 1 - August 31 = winter
    Sept 1 - Nov 30 = spring
    Dec 1 - Feb 28/29 = summer
    March 1 - May 31 = autumn

Although up north, they kind of go more by wet and dry seasons.
    http://www.australia.gov.au/about-australia/australian-story/austn-weather-and-the-seasons

In North America and Europe, and probably other places too, they follow the Astronomical Seasons which are based on the Equinoxes and Solstices.
    https://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/aboutseasons.html

So ... we've just started winter, which in this part of the world is a lot like winter in the Pacific Northwest of North America. Chilly, rainy, damp and dark.

Sounds like home, only opposite weather calendars.

Katla in Beautiful and overcast NW Oregon